Create Account

Post Draft Interview with Renegades Media (2x)

[Image: CCsVGwg.png]

The SHL and SMJHL drafts have come and gone, and recent draftees will be joining their new teams in the next couple of days, in no doubt it is an exciting time for both the players and the organizations. However, with today’s in depth interview, we are going to focus on a Texas Renegade draft pick. This player was drafted in the first round at the 11th pick, and would follow his brother by five picks. Who’s the player you ask? Slava Petrov! Slava Petrov is another big name from the Petrov family. However, what makes Slava interesting is the rumored connection between him and SHL great Cory Knouse. Now not much is known about this connection, did he coach Slava when he was younger, is he Slava’s agent? Or is he someone Slava just looks up too? Hopefully this is something we can find out!

[Image: tis04753.jpg]

Thanks for joining us, Slava, we appreciate you taking the time to speak with us. Now I’ll be honest, you went early in the draft, and there were a couple mock articles about you. However, we haven’t seen you in the media too much. So we are going to try and get a little more information out of you for this interview.

1) Let’s start with an easy one, tell us about the lead up to the draft for you. Were you excited, nervous? Just wanting to get it over. You’ve been rumored to be a top pick for most of the season, where did you see yourself entering the draft?

My rookie season in juniors was an absolute blast, but yeah the ultimate goal for anyone in the J is to be drafted into the SHL, so definitely was definitely a lot of excitement & a bit of anxiety over not knowing where I’d land.

2) You went 11th overall to Texas, now it’s most likely you will spend a couple more seasons in Anchorage developing. However, some prospects like to make the jump sooner than later. How do you look at the process of staying down? Are you excited for the extra ice time, or do you want to be in the SHL contributing to the big picture sooner than later?

I’m definitely excited to hopefully get some more ice time as I move up the depth chart in Anchorage & I’m sure the good folks in Texas management will let me know when they think I’m ready for the big time. Until then, I’m very much looking forward to putting on a show for the Armada faithful.

3) How do you look back on your first season as a rookie and the season Anchorage had? You guys had a very strong regular season, only to get knocked out after your first round bye, in which many people say your team should have won.

We had a very strong team from the start this past season & it was a lot of fun to be a part of it, even if my role was limited. Scoochie played his tail off night in & night out, so it’s always fun going to the rink knowing he’s going to keep you in the game. Unfortunately, I think we just ran into a Maine squad that got hot at the right time.

4) The new season is right around the corner, what are your team goals with Anchorage and your personal goals for the season? You will most likely be slotting up on the second line and receive much more playing time, any big expectations for the season?

We’re losing our captain, Bork Lazer, to the SHL, but other than that we should still have most of the same squad intact that dominated the Northwest Division throughout last regular season. Personally, I’m looking forward to some extra ice time & hopefully improving on my point total of 18 from last season. Ideally, I’d like to double that total with the added ice time, but I think I’d be content with at least 25-30 points as long as the team success continues.

5) Now, with the dust being settled and all the Petrovs drafted, what’s the future for the Petrovs?

Well, first of all, we’ve had some very exciting news in the Petrov clan this offseason. My brother, Vladmir, who also plays with me in Anchorage, has agreed to officially transfer to the Norwegian national team, so we’ll get to spend even more time together during the season at least for the time being. As far as the group as a whole, I’ve heard a lot of rumors about us plotting to team up in the SHL at some point down the road & I can tell you with 100% certainty that there is no such plan in place. Obviously, it’s something we discussed briefly ahead of the draft, but I think we’re all just trying to find our footing in the league before we go making any long-term plans.

6) Finally we have to ask, is there a connection between you and Cory Knouse? All we have heard is rumors, but we have to ask for ourselves.

Knouse is a player I idolized growing up. I saw him play in international competition when the Norwegian national team came to my native Russia & although he was on the opposing side, I was mesmerized by his combination of elite speed, silky smooth playmaking ability & general toughness despite his slight stature. I've certainly tried to incorporate some of those elements into my own game as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to speak to us, Slava, and best of luck this season chasing that Four-Star Cup in Anchorage.

Code:
935 words

[Image: mtDOugA.png]

[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

Bojo Box (C. Knouse)

Renegades

Slava gonna come up with big things!

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]