Create Account

Official Book Club Thread
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2020, 05:41 PM by Kalakar.)

It looks like the Buffalo LR is slowly converting into fantasy readers, I got @Mayuu into Stormlight Archive, he's currently on the third book, @ErM has finished it I believe, @Allegiant is on the first book, @Rangerjase has bought the first book after hearing Mayuu and I talk about it and I've also been talking about it with @Zema who's listening to the fourth book's audiobook currently. I think @Tomen was looking to start? I don't remember.

Is anyone else a Stormlight Archive reader? I'm exclusively a fantasy reader so if anyone else out there is reading fantasy or any genre really, I'd love to hear about it. I have about 20 series in my backlog I'll probably start something new next month.

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

My wife has me reading fantasy books with a good degree of smut in it if anyone is interested. The books are actually really good.

Ilona Andrews (Anything by them)

I'm also reading a series by Anne Bishop (The Others) that's pretty good.

I've also just read shit ton of fantasy if people want recs

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

I really need to start listening to audio books at work again. Smile

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

@hhh81 got me into the Red Rising series which is also a great one. I think @raymond3000 read it too.

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

The entire Cosmere series is incredible, not just the Stormlight Archive. Like The Herald of Sims noted, I'm currently on Rythm of War, about halfway through at this point. Incredible book thus far.

[Image: K6ykz0o.png]
Theodor Larsson
TimberTimber
pridepride
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2020, 06:23 PM by ErM.)

What's on your current list?

I have had Wheel of Time sitting there for a long time but just haven't picked them up! The plan is to start Rhythm of War tomorrow....

[Image: TorTuck.gif]
[Image: sAx3Llh.jpg]

I haven't started Rhythm of War yet sadly :(

11-23-2020, 06:08 PMTomen Wrote: @hhh81 got me into the Red Rising series which is also a great one. I think @raymond3000 read it too.
Yep, still need to read the latest book but its a good series. Also blitzed through Rhythm of War last week.

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars

Reading the Stormlight Archive right now but need motivation after getting bogged down in the moodiness of the 2nd book. Stop brooding damn it!

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2020, 06:54 PM by PremierBromanov.)

Might I suggest Malazan book of the fallen? 10 books, 10,000 pages, im on book 9.

Probably the best fantasy I've ever read. Erikson writes through characters and there are a lot of them, some come and go in a matter of pages. It's realistic fantasy, but still with high fantasy elements like Ascendants and "gods". It is not brutal for the sake of brutality, but its also not above letting you know that war is a gory, brutal thing and that men and women will rape and kill. It's not overly gratuitous, i dont think. It's especially not interested in sex unless it really matters and even then, its pretty classy about it (no throbbing).

In terms of brutality, if you put GoT on one end of the scale of "People die for no reason thats just life my dude" and tolkien "Good always prevails", eriksson sits a bit to the side of Tolkien.

Erikson also writes matter-of-factly without explaining what things are all the time. For instance, in the first book a shadowy figure summons 7 hounds. Thats more or less the gist of what the book says about it. So you think "is that good? is it powerful? How can i know?". Well, the hounds massacre about 400 horseman. The power is self evident, not explained to you like a child. And often times, REALLY important things are easy to miss.

The history of the Malazan universe spans hundreds of thousands of years and Erikson himself is an archeologist, so there are interesting tidbits of world building that are centered in reality. And his universe is incredible diverse.

Lastly, if you're interested in diversity, this is where you can get it. Some nations are more "patriarchal", some, like the Malazan nation, have men and women in abundance in military roles and erikson makes concerted efforts towards representation but not in a ham fisted way.

oh also, Fiddler is a character there. So is Anomandaris Rake, who is a player that existed before me.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2020, 06:56 PM by Henrik.)

Wouldn't call it fantasy, more SciFi, but Metro is a favourite of mine. The first book is fantastic. The second one not too bad and the third one is alright. If you are not used to reading Russian literature it can be a little confusing at first but it's really great.

The Silo series is really good too if you enjoy post apocalyptic stuff.

Currently going through Cormac McCarthy's works, he is absolutely phenomenal. Although not fantasy, it is some of the best literature I have ever read. Particularly Blood Meridian.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

11-23-2020, 06:19 PMErM Wrote: What's on your current list?

In random order:

Code:
Wheel of time
Malazan
The Powder Mage
The Black Company
Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne
Red Sister
The Divine Cities
The Night Angel
The Poppy War
The Licanius Trilogy
The Broken Earth Trilogy
Worm
Lost Gods
Empire of Sand
The Sword of Kaigen
Gentleman Bastard
Red Rising
The Reborn Empire
A Deadly Education
Book of the Ice
1Q84
The Kingdom of Liars
The Empire of Gold
Son of the Storm

Most of them have been in the list for over a year, so I should probably revisit them and trim it down a little bit lol.

11-23-2020, 06:24 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: I haven't started Rhythm of War yet sadly :(

DO IT. I finished it yesterday and I know I'm biased towards Sanderson as he's my favorite author but I really enjoyed it. It helps for those that have read some of his other series though, so I feel like for Stormlight only readers, yes they will probably enjoy it, but for those that are Cosmere aware they'll love all the easter eggs and other elements in this book.

11-23-2020, 06:28 PMraymond3000 Wrote:
11-23-2020, 06:08 PMTomen Wrote: hhh81 got me into the Red Rising series which is also a great one. I think @raymond3000 read it too.
Yep, still need to read the latest book but its a good series. Also blitzed through Rhythm of War last week.

That's awesome. I need to read Red Rising, I feel like I tend to eye trilogies rather than 10-15 book series nowadays so I might get into it in 2021. What did you think of Rhythm of War?

11-23-2020, 06:39 PMroastpuff Wrote: Reading the Stormlight Archive right now but need motivation after getting bogged down in the moodiness of the 2nd book. Stop brooding damn it!

As I said above I'm biased af, some people mention the Shallan's flashbacks are boring and slow down the story. I agree to some degree, sometimes flashbacks take me out of the main story, but I did read through Words of Radiance in under a week while on vacation a few years ago... I'll say however the Sanderlanche is strong in this one.

@PremierBromanov Yeah I've read the same thing being mentioned for Malazan on /r/fantasy, and it's one of the thing that makes me err towards other series right now. I'll definitely read it at some point however, it seems right up my alley.

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

11-23-2020, 06:57 PMKalakar Wrote:
11-23-2020, 06:19 PMErM Wrote: What's on your current list?

In random order:

Code:
Wheel of time
Malazan
The Powder Mage
The Black Company
Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne
Red Sister
The Divine Cities
The Night Angel
The Poppy War
The Licanius Trilogy
The Broken Earth Trilogy
Worm
Lost Gods
Empire of Sand
The Sword of Kaigen
Gentleman Bastard
Red Rising
The Reborn Empire
A Deadly Education
Book of the Ice
1Q84
The Kingdom of Liars
The Empire of Gold
Son of the Storm

Most of them have been in the list for over a year, so I should probably revisit them and trim it down a little bit lol.

11-23-2020, 06:24 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: I haven't started Rhythm of War yet sadly :(

DO IT. I finished it yesterday and I know I'm biased towards Sanderson as he's my favorite author but I really enjoyed it. It helps for those that have read some of his other series though, so I feel like for Stormlight only readers, yes they will probably enjoy it, but for those that are Cosmere aware they'll love all the easter eggs and other elements in this book.

11-23-2020, 06:28 PMraymond3000 Wrote: Yep, still need to read the latest book but its a good series. Also blitzed through Rhythm of War last week.

That's awesome. I need to read Red Rising, I feel like I tend to eye trilogies rather than 10-15 book series nowadays so I might get into it in 2021. What did you think of Rhythm of War?

11-23-2020, 06:39 PMroastpuff Wrote: Reading the Stormlight Archive right now but need motivation after getting bogged down in the moodiness of the 2nd book. Stop brooding damn it!

As I said above I'm biased af, some people mention the Shallan's flashbacks are boring and slow down the story. I agree to some degree, sometimes flashbacks take me out of the main story, but I did read through Words of Radiance in under a week while on vacation a few years ago... I'll say however the Sanderlanche is strong in this one.

@PremierBromanov Yeah I've read the same thing being mentioned for Malazan on /r/fantasy, and it's one of the thing that makes me err towards other series right now. I'll definitely read it at some point however, it seems right up my alley.

Worm was a fantastic read. I sadly didn't finish the sequel or his other works... But seriously worm was one of the best novels I've ever read

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2020, 08:06 PM by raymond3000.)

11-23-2020, 06:57 PMKalakar Wrote:
11-23-2020, 06:28 PMraymond3000 Wrote: Yep, still need to read the latest book but its a good series. Also blitzed through Rhythm of War last week.

I'll probably need to do a reread at some point to fully digest the novel, but I'd say Rhythm of War, while still a fantastic book, is the weakest entry in the Stormlight Archive so far. It just didn't feel as epic as the other novels, especially since the secondary plotlines didn't add too much to the story and felt more like setup for future novels. On the other hand, I loved the development of the three 'main' characters in the novel.

Agreed with z0rem about Worm. One of my favorites of all time, but couldn't get through the sequel. About Malazan, I read the first four books and really enjoyed it, but they're really heavy reads. I feel like if I ever want to get back into Malazan, I'd need months of free time with nothing else to do.
However, if you're looking at shorter stories, I'd recommend The Licanius Trilogy from the ones on your list. A pleasant read all-around with one of the most satisfying and well-crafted endings I've ever read.

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars

11-23-2020, 06:08 PMTomen Wrote: @hhh81 got me into the Red Rising series which is also a great one. I think @raymond3000 read it too.
Add @TnlAstatine @Arkz and @slothfacekilla onto that list as well!

This is exactly what I came to mention haha.

I can also recommend the Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch (the first, Lies of Locke Lamora is Ocean's 11 meets Game of Thrones with more magic), and the Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab. Foundryside & Shorefall by Robert Jackson Bennett are also pretty solid.

A lot of people enjoy The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. I need to give it another shot, as I think I missed what everyone else loved.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]