Create Account

S57 PT #4 - Rivalry Week

As a new create drafted in season fifty two to the Detroit Falcons, there was no bigger rival than the St. Louis Scarecrows. I can't really explain why I hate the Scarecrows, but that's what I was told to do. And by golly did I jump on board! My seasons in the J and still to this day am I actively rooting against the Scarecrows. My Prime years we actually played a large number of games. We probably split them pretty evenly, most games ending in a close one to two goals apart. Even now that I"m not playing in the J anymore, the St. Louis Scarecrows are still one of the biggest rivals the Detroit Falcons have. The games and now and forever circled in red on the calendar. Everyone in the locker room gets pumped for these games. Tradition lives on, we shall now and forever shake our fists at the Scarecrows. For the rest of eternity the rights of the hated shall be handed down from Falcon to Falcon. Captain to Captain.

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

Any time teams are geographically located near each other, there's bound to be some tensions between them. Such is the case between the Kelowna Knights and Vancouver Whalers, both situated within British Columbia, Canada (we take our hockey seriously up here!). I'm sure there's a lot of history between the clubs and I've gotten a taste of that in my first season itself (last season) where we were in the middle of our rebuild here in Kelowna and had to watch helplessly as the Whalers decimated the competition during the regular season. To make matters worse, they wiped out any good feelings from our first-round upset by eliminating us within 4 games as they went on to win the Four Star Cup. We've made great strides this season however while the Whalers have regressed, so no one's complaining here! Weirdly enough, we haven't played them thus far this season, but the next couple games are back-to-back against the Whalers, so we'll soon learn the next chapter of this story! @Pythonic better not score!

[Image: leafs1997.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

I wouldn't say the Minnesota Monarchs have any longstanding beef or rivalry with any of the other SHL teams. I'll leave deciding whether that's because we haven't been competing for anything for quite some time now, or because we have a lockerroom filled with such warm, friendly personalities up to the peanut gallery.

For this season, the Seattle Argonauts would be Minnesota's biggest rivals. They're in our division, fighting us directly for the not-bottom spot. We're both trying to build up our teams, the games have been pretty close and Seattle only has marginally more points than we do at the moment. That's the only thing though, as the Seattle teams is filled with lovely people like Tig and Trips. I wish nothing but the best to them in all games, except for the ones against us. Last season's games went mostly to Seattle, but with our young core growing up we're playing them much closer this season.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

On the grand scheme of things I personally have never felt a huge rivalry in the bigger leagues with any team. NOLA were whiny and annoying at times but I personally never cared about them and still do not. So this puts me in a little bit of a pickle of who to put cause I just do not really care about other teams.

I guess overall I will pick either Hamilton Steelhawks since our games and series are never boring and usually close or the Calgary Dragons since both teams are from Alberta. Naturally in real life in NHL and NLL Edmonton have or had the best teams but even in SHL Edmonton has the better team so you could pull a jealousy type rivalry here I guess with them. It would be fun to have that be 1 of the bigger rivalries in the league too that way. Maybe they are and no-one mentions it anymore but perhaps a reignite of a rival could work. Either 1 are applicable for being my biggest rivals though at a push I guess.

[183 words]

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Now I am free <3

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

This could go in multiple ways. One of them being my personal rival @Mazatt. Mr.Veins over there has challenged me that I won't be better than him. We have entered a career-long rivalry to which I shall win. Simply because I love my body and my veins alike. to which he does not. He hates everything to do with them. Also, he gave me my first TD to which leads me to my next rival. Edmonton. There are a few reasons why I consider Edmonton a rival, for one, of course, one being Smattand the other Noka. I've always been gunning for Noka's job in Canada to which he and I now have a rivalry. Now If we're talking team rivalries, let's start with Carolina. One huge one that any Kraken player learns from the start of his/her tenure in Carolina would be Detroit. They've always had a fued and I believe they always will.

GM of Canada in the WJC S56

S56 WJC Gold Medalist GM/Player for Canada

[Image: ddIlIkT.png][Image: qzGJBye.png]

[Image: GMGumba.gif]

The Newfoundland Berserkers biggest rival is the Vancouver Whalers. This is the team that beat us in the Finals last season. As a second year player, I can only base this off of my experience. The nice thing about this season is although neither of us are playing that well right now, Vancouver in currently sitting in the basement of the West. I look to them as the team that I hold the most ill-will towards as they took away my chance at a title in S56. This season, they are 3 and 1 against us, and just seem to have our number. Since all teams in the SMJHL make the playoffs, there is a chance, albeit unlikely, that they can meet in the finals again. Until then, I will be rooting against them in the hopes that they are ousted early and can watch the finals from home. I expect to be home as well, but hopefully not as soon as Vancouver. The playoffs should be another fun ride.

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]

Everyone always likes to say that the Detroit Falcons' biggest rival is found in the St. Louis Scarecrows. While I do think that the St. Louis Scarecrows is a terrible team name and their logo is sad, I've never quite understood the beef between the two team, as it started way before I joined up. Therefore, I submit that the modern day rival to the Detroit Falcons should instead be the Carolina Kraken. There was a good bit of tension between the two teams in seasons 52, 53, and 54. Some might even go as far to say that there was some beef between several of the players on each team. Things always seemed to get about heated in threads when the two teams were brought up together. Now, this has all seemed to clear up since then and of course we all treat each other with respect and kindness because the SHL is meant to bring hockey fans closer together, after all.

Good times.

[Image: Fred.png]
[Image: PeZ8eh1.png] [Image: r2pSvNf.png]

The Toronto North Stars’ biggest rivalry must be the Buffalo Stampede at this point. Though it may be seen as a one-sided rivalry since Toronto hasn’t beaten Buffalo since S52 back in the final season of STHS. Although that could be changing soon. Buffalo is 4-0 against the North Stars this season but two of the games have been one goal games (3-2 and 1-0). And in the other two games, the North Stars held the Stampede to only 4 goals which sounds bad until you realize that compared to the past couple of seasons that’s truly an accomplishment in these matchups. Add to that the comments that Faelax had during Hockey Talk Tonight a few weeks ago that I took exception to and you have the elements for a budding rivalry. As Buffalo continues to fight with the cap and regression, Toronto is on the ascendance and will only miss the playoffs this year due to FHM playoff structure limitations. Look for this rivalry to begin to heat up for both teams heading into S57. If they didn’t consider us rivals before, my money is on that changing soon.

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]

New Orleans Spectres

This one is easy because at the top of our division has been the Spectres for what feels like forever.

Sure now as the seasons pass they are dropping down the charts, but that still doesn't change the fact we had to battle against them for so long to get where we are today in Texas.

What makes this rivalry so good is that after seasons of them always doing their shady under the table dealings we were able to surpass them with patience and testing by the great GM tandems we have had and now sit on the top of the dock as we watch them drown begging for a life ring to save them.

No, I don't think I will New Orleans, kick, flail, and pray for death sooner because this division is ours now, and we have zero plans to give it back anytime soon. Not even Los Angeles can stop us.

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020, 01:10 PM by Ronniewalker.)

Speaking of team rivalries, of course the most symbolically fitting nemesis for the Anchorage Armada, obviously a flotilla of battleships, would be that horrible ship-devouring beast, the Carolina Kraken. 

But ever since that infamous season 55 SMJHL playoff series against the Maine Timber, those mighty trees on the other side of the continent have become the most hated figures for the boat gang to face on the ice. The sting of being robbed of a deep playoff run that they had felt entirely entitled to after their incredible season that year still lingers on to this day and manifests itself in a heightened readiness to avenge that crushing defeat every time that they face the Timber. 

Furthermore, that series has become to epitomize what has become to be called ‘The ANC Special’ among the team and its fans, meaning somehow still losing a bunch of games despite completely dominating the game play on the ice and in the stats columns, often due to a hotter than hell goaltender just denying them anything and everything or else their own goalie just inexplicably failing to catch anything at all on a given night, gifting the game away to an otherwise seemingly unworthy opponent.

While of course this sort of thing had happened before and happens to others as well, the way that that series was given away after being just one win away from advancing just made it an instant classic and cemented Maine as a fierce nemesis for the Armada, even if they don’t necessarily even consider the Armada as such themselves and even despite the distance and difference of conferences between them, the contests against the Timber are always a must-win for Anchorage .

(286 words)

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31

In my short career spanning about a season and a half the one team that I could pick out as a Newfoundland rival would be the Vancouver Whalers. The obvious main reason for that is because Vancouver defeated my fellow Berserkers and I in the SMJHL Four Star Cup Finals during my rookie season. What makes this rivalry even more interesting is that both teams were ravaged by call-ups over the offseason setting both teams back toward the bottom of the league. It will be interesting to see how both teams finish the season and even more interesting to see how each team can bounce back next year. Jon St. Ark would be the particular player I would sort of consider a rival being that he was another first rounder from my draft class and had a phenomenal rookie year. Putting the puck in the net feels just a bit better when its against Vancouver. Especially if St. Ark is in net.

Honestly this last little while BAP hasn't exactly been good enough to have real rivals, but back when I was GM of Vancouver in the S30s they had a real strong rivalry with Kelowna. For as long as I've been in the league I don't think there's been as strong of a rivalry as this one. Both teams really hated each other and we had some very tightly contested playoff series against them including a reverse sweep against us. From my understanding, this rivalry had been going on for quite a while, even before I had shown up in Vancouver in S29. It also doesn't help that the two teams are geographical neighbors, but I honestly think that was mostly coincidental when it came to the rivalry. These 2 teams disliked each other enough that even had they been in different conferences or on opposite ends of the country they still would have been rivals.

At least in the time I have been on the site, there has been no team more of a rival to my team, the Hamilton Steelhawks, than the Buffalo Stampede. We have played those dudes so many times in the playoffs and the series always ends up a toss-up almost every time, whether on STHS or FHM. Just give me one season where we don't play each other like come on man I'm sick and tired of it.

For the Anchorage Armada, the team I of course gm now, i couldn't really name a particular rival we have historically. Vancouver was a pretty big one back in the day and to some extent it still is a rivalry game, but this season I think the Quebec City Citadelles and the Armada are going to be developing a pretty fiery rivalry based on how the season pans out. At the moment both of them are by a pretty decent margin the two best teams in the league and they both bought at the deadline, so even though both teams are stacked I'm sure both would absolutely hate losing to the other. I also don't like Quebec City much at all in a real life non sim league setting so that affects it too kekw

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

I feel like in recent times the LA Panthers have been a nuisance to us. Knox Booth has stolen many a good finish for his team with his overachieving play, constantly doing better than any goalies of his talent. Los Angeles of course infamously robbed my motley crew of rentals of a playoff spot in Season 50 which set in motion some hard times for the Jets. They then defeated us in the Season 51 playoffs (which I wasn't planning on making with that team but w/e).

The Panthers have then bedevilled us with a series of key wins in the regular season that inhibit our playoff position, and also look set to be our playoff matchup, which is going to be tough, especially if they get home ice on us. That and certain unnamed members of the Panthers seem to have a grudge against our GMing and policy so yeah. Jets fans might see Calgary as a bigger rival, or Edmonton, because of regionality. But recently, LA has been our obstacle.

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332

For me, Luffy Richard, Defenseman for the glorious Toronto North Stars, I would have to say the Buffalo Stampede are our biggest rivals. Its not a back and forth rivalry, nor is it a hotly contested one for the past....thirty plus game and many a season because we haven't been able to beat them. Not once...in all those seasons and games....we just get whooped on. It irks me that we are just a feast of points season after season for the buffalo chips that call themselves a stampede. The only thing they trample over is my heart because seeing them on the schedule just feels like a loss before we even take the loss. Also the other Luffy, the older and not as cool based on a recent poll I conducted with myself, is on that team. I will crushhhhh him! the Luffy Richard era will be one of doom for buffalo, mark my words. So this is a team rivalry and a personal rivalry where the other side can't even be bothered to care because they've just been crushing us and doing bigger and better things, like the cup a few seasons back. Its even more irksome knowing that we will probably miss the playoffs because the Great Lakes is a giant show of defecated matter. #drainthelakes

[Image: WzzhGnr.png][Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: image0.png][Image: UMRTITC.gif]