Create Account

Why I will play for your team. Somewhat explained (SHL Edition) [Double Media Week]

Code:
3009 words

So back before the SMJHL I made a similar article for the SMJHL teams https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=113532. Coming back from being inactive for a good bit of the last 2 years I feel that a lot of the feelings I had for teams back then have been completely shaken up. A team I might not have liked 3 years ago, look totally different today and could be a team I would love to be drafted to this season. So I will go through every team alphabetically and tell you why I would be playing for your team.

First what can Ryuuji Kawashima bring to your team? Kawashima is a big centerman who looks to use his body to win on the faceoff circle and creating offensive pressure from these situation with his slick hands and silky smooth passes. Kawashima will be a player at heart, a player who you can compare to a lets say Nikolas Backstrom. Just give him an Ovi type player and you are in for a good offensive time. Kawashima brings a locker room pressent in which is almost always around in the locker room. Rumour has it his handler is in Europe, so Kawashima will be most active in the around the European hours. Kawashima also has no issues playing for any team and will gladly suit up and become a legend within that teams history.

Now onto the teams, as I give a little bit of text about their brand, the rosters and if I think they draft around the area Kawashima will be aviable.

Atlanta Inferno

I remember poking my head around the site when the Inferno was created and saw the team they had. I saw a ton of familiar faces and it gave me a NEW 2.0 kind of vibe which was something that felt exciting to me. The NEW locker room when I was there with Silverwing was one of the tightest knit, friendly communities I have ever been in. A few seasons later and the team seems to have been shaken up a bit, but it still has a ton of familiar faces and people that I absolutely adore. Hotdog is a great guy and it seems that he and the Inferno have built a solid looking team. Looking at the brand I like the inferno the phoenix is dope. I am a sucker for red and black and I can vibe with the Atlanta city. Atlanta only drafts by the 17th pick, which I feel is a spot I will no longer be available at. So, a reunion with NEW lite will not be on the table most likely.

Baltimore Platoon

Where even as West Kendall? I do not think I was around when the rebrand happened, but I have heard the stories of why the brand was changed up. I completely agree with why the relocation happened and Baltimore is a great city. As a Ravens fan, who usually throws his NHL extension team in Baltimore this works for me. The Platoon has a few names I recognise, but also a ton of names which are completely new to me. I see Zoone is on the team and I could never play with the person who stole my SMJHL scoring record (different era of course *cough*). LPLL is a homie and there are a few others on the team that I think are great people. I cannot quite remember the old logo, but I feel like I did like that logo a bit more than the current one. Jersey’s are very nice and I vibe with the aesthetic. The home jerseys are very crisp, and I would rock one in real life. The Platoon have no horses in the first round race, so I think I will miss out on being drafted by the Platoon in this draft.

Buffalo Stampede

First thought? Eurobae Tomen. Tomen is a great dude and I always loved how back when I was a simmer he would keep watch of me to try and figure out when the sim would go live. The Stampede has some names I know on the list. Evok is a big stand out and I haven’t been on a team with her in forever. I recognise Kalakar, we drafted him in the ISFL S22 draft and then he instantly retired on us :zoomeyes:. I have always liked the Stampede branding. It is a classic Buffaloesq brand and the green and yellow is a colour combination I can fuck with. The current logo is very nice aswell and the stampede is part of the best teams in the league right now and who does not want to join a team like that. The Stampede has a pick in to finish out the top 10, very interested to see where I drop in this draft and it it’s to the Stampede I will be happy with that.

Calgary Dragons

Back when I was first drafted on this site in S27, there were two teams I really wanted to go to. One of those teams was New England, which I eventually went to and absolutely enjoyed my time at. The other team I really wanted to play for was the Calgary Dragons. I have always loved the branding of the team. Loved the red colour and the team just always seemed like this cool bunch of people. I feel like the team still has a few people who played for the team even that many years ago. As with all other teams there are a ton of new people who I do not instantly recognise, but I would not expect otherwise having been gone for those two years. As always, I am still open to playing for the Dragons once in my career. The branding is just so good I would love to flex around with a dragons sig. I mean hey, Sean Monahan render, a Calgary team. It just works out so perfectly. They have no picks in the first round, so likely I will not be Dragon any time soon, but hey maybe one day.

Chicago Syndicate

Honestly upfront, never been a fan of the gangster brandings. I see Velvera and OL are still gming the team, which is bonkers, because I think they were also the original GMs of the team. I guess GMs just last longer in the SHL haha. The Syndicate rooster is filled to the brink with names I recognise. A ton of great sim league members. The team also seems to have a fellow player named Ryuuji, which means that there will be some Ryuuji rivalry going on there. They are a winger, while I am a center so it will be slightly harder to compare the two, but still the race to find out who the better Ryuuji is on. It’s pretty cool they are the one team that has Yellow as one of their prime colours, but the aesthetic of the team is not really for me. Chicago has a pick at the end of the first round, which I do not think I will drop to, but if I am still there, hey I will call Chicago my home and embrace the brand.

Edmonton Blizzard

I remember back when the Blizzard’s logo was just a big ol’ yeti. The old branding was pretty neat, but I just absolutely adore the fox branding. I think this is one of the cleanest brandings in the league and with that also one of my absolute favourites. Edmonton has a healthy mix of names I recognise and names I do not. I see Nokazoa is here who made the logo for my team in the ISFL, which I am super happy with how that logo came out. Overall, some solid people there in Edmonton with a great brand. With two picks in the first round I think I have a chance of landing in Edmonton and repping the best brand in the league.

Hamilton Steelhawks

The steelhawks are the current big baddies in the league and winning championships left, right and center. I miss the old logo when I look at these guys. I do cannot for the life of me remember if they had that logo when I was still active. This roster is stacked with people I know, which some great names in there that I recognise from ISFL as well and my lad Toivo. I can see why they have been winning cups, this is a very solid roster. Without a pick in the first round I feel like I will not be around when this team picks. So, I cannot add to the greatness that is already there.

Los Angeles Panthers

There has always been something so elegant about the Panthers logo. The first thing that I saw was that Eggy was on this team and Eggy is my main man, sadly it looks like his player is almost finished. However, my other main man OrbitingDeath is on this team. OD might not be as good at Geoguessr as I am, but I still respect the man. I also see my boy Gumba on the team. This team has some Hahalua represent going on, which I respect. I recognise a few more of the names on the rooster. I respect that the team found its branding and has stuck with it. LA has a top 6 pick, but I think they already have their guy figured out.

Manhattan Rage

I remember when the Rage was a team of bears. Now they are led by a bull as their mascot. At first, I thought it was a cute play on rage. However, after a recent media piece about team logo’s I now know it has to do with the stock market. Which is clever from the people who were behind the rebrand. Manhattan might have one of the most recognisable rosters to me. A ton of familiar names, which look to be making a great core in Manhattan. At the time of writing this the Rage have the 12th overall pick. Which again is a pick I think is too distant for Kawashima to drop to.

Minnesota Monarchs

Time to spill some of that tea, but Minnesota used to be a team I did not care for at all. Back during the early S30’s the Chiefs and Wolfpack would always have beef. However we are almost 30 seasons and like 4 in real life years further down the line and I can only imagine everything has shaken up since then. They have even rebranded since taking on the Monarchs branding. It is a very interesting branding and I like it very much. I recognise a good few names on this team, see some ISFL dudes around there as well. Minnesota has a nice early pick in this draft, drafting at the third position. With is in the range of where Kawashima has projections of going. However, rumour has it their big need in the draft is defence, so unless Kawashima suddenly is playing on the backline this next season he will likely not be drafted by the Monarchs.

New England Wolfpack

Now my history in this league with the Wolfpack goes way back to S27 when I was originally drafted there with my very first player Silverwing. I played my entire career in New England, before retiring and recreating as Rafe Ulrich. Who in turn also played his entire career with the Wolfpack. So, I can safely say that me and the Wolfpack have history in this league. The Wolfpack originally had the 4th overall pick but have since traded this pick and pick 11th now. Due to the history links to the Wolfpack had been made, however Kawashima said that while he would love to head there he was keeping his options open to other teams. A third career player with the Wolfpack would have been fun, but the idea of going to a different team also has stuck with me. If Kawashima drops to 11th you know I would love to head back.

New Orleans Specters

The Specters are a relatively new team in the SHL and were created in my phase of being inactive. Brand wise I absolutely love this team’s brand. It is so dark and edgy, which still fits me, as it is not a phase mom, it’s a lifestyle. The Specters are GM’d by JK, who is a great guy, who puts in a ton of work into sim teams. He also has one of the best podcasts in the ISFL. The team has a ton of names I recognise, either from the ISFL, the SHL and from the Wolfpack with users like Jenny and Prettyburn. They pick towards the end of the first round at 14th and are likely in a position in which Kawashima will be taken. Looking at the roster and branding, this team would have been a joy to play with.

San Francisco Pride

I knew em back in the day for being the Portland Admirals, but the Pride have created a great brand. I am a sucker for Purple and with a little gold mixed in, has to be one of my favourite colour combinations in the league. Looking at the rooster I see Siddhus in the prospect pool and that guy is a cool dude. (He is my gm in the ISFL I am obligated to say this). Seriously though, he has become such a big part of Honolulu, super happy with him there. This is a team with a roster that I am less familiar with. I see some faces I know, but a ton of new faces as well. They pick 7th overall in the draft with is in the ballpark of Kawashima’s draft position. The Pride look like a team who are building towards a bright future which Kawashima can greatly deliver to.

Seattle Argonauts

Seattle came into the league together with the Atlanta Inferno, which was in my inactivity stint, so I am not very familiar with this team or its history. When it comes to brands it feels like one of the weaker ones. This is one of the teams I would like to learn more about their brand. A quick google search suggests that the Argonauts were a group of sailors in Greek mythology. It is a cool story, but I am not sure what it has to do with Seattle. Just feel a bit on the fence about it, once I looked at the bigger logo it looks quite nice. Do not think the banner gives it justice. Still the connection feels off. Mix of faces I recognise and do not on this team. Seattle will be picking at 5th overall. Which could be a position we see Kawashima go to. This team looks to have one of the bigger prospect pools and is probably open to some good talent.

Texas Renegades

My history with the Renegades is the same as with the Monarchs. Back in the early S30’s there was a lot of beef and hassle between the two teams. As I said with the Monarchs that’s over 4 years ago now and 30 seasons of changes to the squad and everything. Honestly, I actually always liked the Renegades brand. Think I would have rated them a top 4 branding back in the day. Another team with a mix of users I recognise. They seem to be one of the top teams right now competing and have a very small rookie pool. They do not pick in the first round, so I think playing for one of my favourite brands is a slim chance.

Toronto North Stars

I remember when these guys won their first cup in league history. Was a very hype moment for them and I was happy to see them succeed. I checked and it seems that is the only one they have won so far. I love a team with a great story line and bringing a cup to Toronto seems like a great one. Toronto has that sleek blue and white brand going on. A maple leaf together with the Toronto CN tower and a star to fill out what the team is all about. Toronto is the hockey capital of the world, so you know they love that hockey there. Surprisingly when I checked out this team, I realised how few people on the team I know. I see a few names that are familiar, but most are new to me. Toronto has 3 picks in the top 6 and have a great chance of picking up Kawashima in the Kawashima lottery. They could even pick him first overall, which would be my second 1st OA. Which would be cheeky. Toronto is one of the teams currently having a great time and with 3 picks in the first round are looking to keep adding to the squad and keep the greatness going.

Winnipeg Aurora

They recently rebranded from the Winnipeg Jets into the new Aurora franchise. I understand why they did it and it must have been hard to let go of this original franchise in the SHL. However, I think the brand they decided to rebrand to is excellent and among the best in the league. They went from one great brand to the next. User wise Winnipeg has a strong roster with a ton of names I recognise and very big names with that as well. The Aurora have two good back to back picks with 8th and 9th overall. So, they will be looking to add some top end talent to their roster. Will Kawashima still be around during these picks? Could be a great pick up, bet Kawashima would look nice in those jerseys.

There you have it, a quick summery recap of my opinion per team, how many people I recognise on the roster and if I think Kawashima will be around during these picks. Good luck in the draft tonight to the GMs and my fellow draft class mates!

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

o fuck called out just like that

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

rip Tampa

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page

eurobae tomen!!!!!!

Do you still stream bud?

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

04-03-2021, 10:11 PMZoone16 Wrote: Do you still stream bud?

Every now and then, haven't in the last few weeks though. I have been really wanting to get back into the swing of it.

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

Barracuda

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

@Raven <3

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired