Create Account

Grading Birdman's Probably Mediocre S58 Rankings
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2021, 11:02 PM by LordBirdman.)

As I sat down to begin to put together a ranking sheet for S59 fantasy, I realized I should first see how my S58 rankings did (S58 Probably Mediocre Rankings). I figured my rankings would be OK but would definitely have some issues, particularly giving credit to younger up and coming players as I used the last 3 seasons performance as an indicator of consistency and potential future performance.

Here are the players listed by total points with finishing position rank, my pre-season position rank, and some light commentary:

Lyle Odelein III Specters D; 500.4 Points; Final Position Rank: 1; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 4

Overall I'm happy with this ranking, if you took Odelein as a top 5 D you were happy.

Karl Krashwagen Platoon F; 485.2 Points; Final Position Rank: 1; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Well shit, it wasn't long until my first major blunder. Who saw this guy finishing first? Not many people, but shows the potential of a strong power forward. To be fair, who could've predicted the guy would go from 12G 22A to 42G 29A, 80 more shots and 45 more hits. It shows I need to pay more attention to top line younger players for a quick swap or 3rd F.

FR Finn-Rhys Blizzard D; 474.4 Points; Final Position Rank: 2; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 3

Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to have seen that FR was going to be a top D last year, he finished 2nd the prior year. Still, past results don't predict future results so I'll give myself a nice pat on the back for this one.

Bobby Sharp Stampede F; 446.1 Points; Final Position Rank: 2; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 12

I still feel pretty good about this ranking, suggesting to take him in the top half of 2 F's. I mean c'mon there is a lot of randomness so this isn't horrible.

Michael Scarn Steelhawks F; 442.2 Points; Final Position Rank: 3; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 2

Another hit here, so far feeling pretty OK about my rankings last season.

Henrik Lekberg Osterman pride F; 437.4 Points; Final Position Rank: 4; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Welp, another S50 that came out of nowhere to crush it. I didn't think a forward on a team like SFP could do this well, but with two-way players it apparently is very possible.

Eko van Otter Inferno F; 426.1 Points; Final Position Rank: 5; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 17

I wasn't a huge believer in EVO for no real reason. He finished 13th F in S57 and I projected him to regress, which was dumb.

Theo Morgan Steelhawks F; 425.7 Points; Final Position Rank: 6; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 8

I'm going to take some credit here, because I was a believer in the Morgan bounce back story after he finished as the 24th best F in S57.

Cassius Darrow Argonauts D; 423.9 Points; Final Position Rank: 3; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 2

Maybe not the hardest one to predict given Darrow's success in S57, but still going to count this as a good pick.

Samuel Michaud Steelhawks D; 422.8 Points; Final Position Rank: 4; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 11

While Michaud finished as a top 5 D man, I predicted him to be fantasy relevant after finishing as the 22nd best D in S57. I'll say this is a pretty good pick of a young player on the rise.

Adam Barron Stars D; 417.2 Points; Final Position Rank: 5; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 15

I'm going to take some credit for this one as well, ranking Barron as a good 2D for fantasy after he never finished higher than 28th for D. I'll also give myself credit for this pick.

Esa Parmborg Dragons F; 416.5 Points; Final Position Rank: 7; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 6

Banking on Esa to perform as a top 10 F was a good call.

Martijn Westbroek syndicate F; 415 Points; Final Position Rank: 8; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 1

This one is somewhat tough, as I predicted Westbroek to be the most consistent and safest F pick. He still finished as a 1F in S57 so it's not a total loss for Westbroek owners, but perhaps a minor disappointment. Could be worse for sure.

Julio Tokolosh Blizzard F; 411.6 Points; Final Position Rank: 9; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 3

Toko let his owners down it's his fault not mine.

Andreas Kvalheim Renegades F; 407.5 Points; Final Position Rank: 10; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 18

Kvalheim did have the bounce back season as predicted (finished 40th F in S57) and I feel good about this one.

Tony Pepperoni Blizzard F; 404.3 Points; Final Position Rank: 11; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 7

The ageless wonder future HOFer slid a bit but you take him for the consistency and feel ok about him finishing at 11.

Nick Brain Jets F; 402.5 Points; Final Position Rank: 12; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 16

Nick Brain seems to always impress and is also an ageless wonder, pretty good pick here if I do say so myself.

Ruslan Zaporozhets Stars F; 402.4 Points; Final Position Rank: 13; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Another young star (Northstar some would say) that I didn't tell you to pick, shame on me.

Dominic Montgomery Inferno D; 401.5 Points; Final Position Rank: 6; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 12

Dom outperformed my rankings, but what do you want from me?

Bobby Lane Stars F; 400.1 Points; Final Position Rank: 14; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 32

Total miss, although I did rank him in the "flyer" portion of hey maybe he will be good.

Monkey D. Luffy Stampede F; 396 Points; Final Position Rank: 15; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 13

Luffy was right on par with expectations, which is neat.

Jakob Hamr Barracuda D; 393.3 Points; Final Position Rank: 7; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 21

I didn't believe in the Hamr hog because I thought that D men that rely on SBs on improving teams weren't a good choice. Well I was wrong.

Barrett Blackwood Blizzard F; 392.2 Points; Final Position Rank: 16; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Mr. Blackwood came out of nowhere and I shamed my family by not ranking him.

Barry Batsbak Dragons F; 392.1 Points; Final Position Rank: 17; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 19

Good pick, I'm clearly running out of things to say at this point.

Philipp Winter Panthers F; 389.3 Points; Final Position Rank: 18; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 21

Good pick, I'm clearly running out of things to say at this point.

Simon LeBlanc Inferno D; 388.3 Points; Final Position Rank: 8; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Horrific miss. I thought this guy was getting old and wouldn't be able to hang.

Phineas Gold Rage F; 386.6 Points; Final Position Rank: 19; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Gold was another youngster that came out of nowhere to nearly finish as a 2D.

Jakub Bruchevski Wolfpack F; 384.5 Points; Final Position Rank: 20; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 22

Pretty accurate. Very legal, very cool.

Rex Kirkby Inferno D; 384.3 Points; Final Position Rank: 9; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 14

Rex refuses to die and refuses to not put up points, I should've recognized that more.

Kaspars Claude Dragons D; 382 Points; Final Position Rank: 10; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 16

Ehhhh not great rank not horrible.

Aaron Wilson Steelhawks F; 379.4 Points; Final Position Rank: 21; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 15

Kind of a miss of a pick.

Maxime Bouchard Dragons F; 377.7 Points; Final Position Rank: 22; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 10

This one was a miss and the ~25 point difference between finishing 22nd and 10th could be a big difference maker. Shame on me.

Brennan Kennedy Jr. Dragons D; 377.6 Points; Final Position Rank: 11; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 6

Ok ok ok, Kennedy Jr is a pretty consistent guy so not crazy off.

Daniel Smeb syndicate F; 377.1 Points; Final Position Rank: 23; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 4

I mean ranking players is hard.

Slap McShotty Wolfpack F; 374.7 Points; Final Position Rank: 24; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 30

I think Slap McShotty was upset with his ranking but it appears he was sort of right and I was sort of right.

Guy Zheng Inferno F; 374.6 Points; Final Position Rank: 25; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 5

Oof ouch owie, sorry gang but the position switch was tough for Guy.

Tom Fiddler Barracuda F; 374.4 Points; Final Position Rank: 26; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Good for TBB and Fiddler on the rise.

Elijah Jones Steelhawks F; 373.9 Points; Final Position Rank: 27; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 11

This is another oof ouch owie.

Jon Forty-One Blizzard F; 373.8 Points; Final Position Rank: 28; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 26

On heckin' point.

Nat Emerson Platoon D; 371 Points; Final Position Rank: 12; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 5

Pretty mediocre ranking.

Slip McScruff Jets D; 370.8 Points; Final Position Rank: 13; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Who could've foreseen this? Not I.

Oliver Cleary Rage D; 370.6 Points; Final Position Rank: 14; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Go get em Cleary and showin' me wrong and stuff.

Edward Williams Renegades F; 370 Points; Final Position Rank: 29; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Idk

Augustus Wang Stampede D; 368.1 Points; Final Position Rank: 15; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 9

Relatively ok ranking here.

Karlstrasse Scholz Blizzard D; 365.9 Points; Final Position Rank: 16; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 13

See above.

Mika Kandinsky Stars F; 364.9 Points; Final Position Rank: 30; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 23

I guess I oversold some Toronto hype here but left it out elsewhere.

Kaarlo Kekkonen Renegades F; 364.9 Points; Final Position Rank: 31; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Texas has some players that's for sure.

Jimmy Slothface Panthers F; 363.9 Points; Final Position Rank: 32; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 9

The famed Slothface killa was not what fantasy owners had hoped for and I think he should apologize, not me.

Corey Kennedy syndicate D; 362.6 Points; Final Position Rank: 17; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 1

This has to be my crown jewel of rankings, placing Corey Kennedy as the number 1 overall D. The guy was coming off the 7th and 1st best D finishes in S57 and S56, respectively, had 2k TPE and was on a good team. Sometimes FHM just says go pound sand.

Gabriel Johnson Argonauts D; 362.3 Points; Final Position Rank: 18; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 7

Should've known better than to trust Gabe.

Adam Scianna Renegades D; 360.9 Points; Final Position Rank: 19; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Texas sure has some players for the coming seasons.

Alex Petrenko pride D; 357.9 Points; Final Position Rank: 20; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

How many pucks can one player really eat?

Satoshi Zizagooney Argonauts D; 356.8 Points; Final Position Rank: 21; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: Unranked

Zizagooney is a pretty sweet name.

Josef Kubinec Renegades F; 352.7 Points; Final Position Rank: 33; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 27

Kubince was worth a 3F flyer but other Texas forwards ate into his productivity.

Alexander Selich Stampede D; 350.1 Points; Final Position Rank: 22; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 17

Isn't it interesting that the 22nd best D man and the 33rd best F had nearly the same amount of points? I think it is.

Lmao if you're still reading this I don't know what to tell you other than thanks for the support and here are my picks I had that completely fell away.

Dick Clapper Stampede F; 349.9 Points; Final Position Rank: 34; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 14

I thought that Clapper man would be good on the Stampede, I blame WBF. Big time miss here.

Michael Fox Panthers F; 347.4 Points; Final Position Rank: 35; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 24

Just barely ranked him to be fantasy relevant and at this point the difference in points isn't huge so eh not horrible.

Ola Wagstrom Rage F; 345.9 Points; Final Position Rank: 37; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 20

RIP Ola fantasy days.

Matt Kholin Stampede F; 345 Points; Final Position Rank: 38; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 28

See Fox commentary.

Alexander Wachter Renegades F; 329.8 Points; Final Position Rank: 41; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 29

Thought this could be the Texas F to do well but I was wrong.

Mathias Seger Monarchs D; 329.2 Points; Final Position Rank: 26; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 10

At first I thought this was surprising as Seger almost always produces with hits and SB. He did again this season, but his points fell far too low for him to be relevant.

Hippo Passamus Stampede F; 323.2 Points; Final Position Rank: 43; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 25

Passamus is getting up there in age.

Parker Smeb syndicate D; 288.1 Points; Final Position Rank: 37; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 8

Ok this has to be probably my worst pick of the whole rankings(?). I also picked this guy in my league but quickly switched him for Barron, but that isn't really relevant. Parker Smeb was getting up there in age but had finished as the 8th, 5th, and 4th best fantasy D the three prior seasons. So what happened? Age started to catch up and he basically cut his G+A in half.

Disisde Dayudie syndicate D; 285 Points; Final Position Rank: 39; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 18

IDK

Poopity Scoop Panthers D; 278.5 Points; Final Position Rank: 41; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 20

He's IA of course he's going to get worse but hey what can I say.

Aron Hernadivic Stampede F; 248.2 Points; Final Position Rank: 86; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 33

eek

Lallo Selman syndicate F; 246.8 Points; Final Position Rank: 87; Birdman Pre-Season Rank: 31

I think it's time to write of Lallo because he simply doesn't get hits or SB.

Conclusion:
Fantasy is hard but I overall feel decent about my S58 rankings. For S59, I'm going to try to spend more time looking at up and coming players and not just past results.

Overall Grade: 6 Dinosaur Nuggets

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

Killed it.

Glad to have a guy like you around and in my locker rooms as I’m clueless with this stuff. Maybe I’ll have to start following a bit closer.