Create Account

S33: Full Moon Rises pt.1

Ahoy, CptSqually here and finally after way too long i can bring you another one of my Walks Down Memory Lane. That's right, like a bad father who went out for cigs i have finally sailed back home. Lets way anchor and dive right in, starting with the West as is tradition.

SHL WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS
TEAM  W  L  OTL  PTS
Dragons 30-14-6 66
Blizzard 30-16-4 64
Panthers 29-16-5 63
Riot 28-18-4 60
--------------------------
Jets 27-20-3 57
:Admirals: 20-24-6 46
Renegades 18-26-6 42

Breakdown:

Dragons
The Calgary Dragons finished S33 atop the Western Conference with a hearty 66 points. Lead on offence by Randy Randleman and his 64 points. All whilst finding himself in no less than 8 punch ups. This team is billed as hard working and gritty, with enough top end talent to get the job done. Netminder Hunter Wong turned in a solid season with a box standard .900 SV% and GAA of 2.56 with 4 shutouts. With 9 30 point players on this roster i am sure they can make a solid go of it and maybe even go all the way.

Blizzard
Never far behind, the Edmonton Blizzard spent the season chasing their provincial rivals to the south so it would seem. 64 points is all they could nab which is pretty damn good. The man himself, Theo Kane lead the way with 72 points while 6 others had at least around 40 points. Brett Broadway put on a show with his .903 SV% in his 44 games. Another tough Western Conference team no doubt.

Panthers
LA showed that there was no chance they would be left behind, falling only 1 point shy of home ice advantage in round 1. Jorma Ruutu lead the way as a Quarterback on at the blue line with 48 points. I know, seems low, but the big cats score by committee, making them a dangerous force no matter who is on the ice. Only 3 other players topped 40 points, but 8 in total had at least 35 including Ruutu of course. The legendary Timo Haas was the main man between the pipes. Only sported an .899 SV% though, not sure if this will be their weak spot or not.

Riot
Not to be forgotten, the Seattle Riot managed a respectable 60 points to end the year on. Firm ending on the year all told. Patrick Brumm led their offence with 42 points. He is only one of 5 players with 30 points though. Me thinks they are going to need to play a tight checking, defensive game if they want to make any noise in the playoffs. Especially against the high octane offence of the Calgary Dragons. Hall of Fame goaltender Michael McFadden backstops Seattle to a .905 SV%. 4 of the Riot's 28 wins were shutouts thanks to Mikey stealing their way in. They sure are going to need him a lot come the post season.

Jets
Now we get to talk about those who didn't make it. Starting with Winnipeg. Managed 57 points this season and only 1 less win than Seattle at 27. Can't say they did poorly, just that they didn't make the cut. Luke Fleming said "I'll have a PPG season" and then decided he just had to have 1 more point...5 more times for 56 in total. 6 players had at least 35 points including Yuri Boyka, who came over at the deadline from Texas. While he only had 37 by the end, his 10 points in 15 games sure looked good, and he might have been a difference maker had the Jets not been grounded. Lukas Berger had a solid record in his 44 games between the pipes. Sadly a .895 SV% probably shows why they didn't make the cut.

:Admirals:
Contrasting the rest, Portland was not really all that close. 46 points was not destined to buy them a playoff spot. They could choose to hang their hats on 20 wins, or Chernika Banananov's 59 points. Heck, he was even a 30 goal man. This team is on the come up and i would not be surprised to see the Admirals make hay in the playoffs one day soon. Rookie Kyle Wahlgren managed to start 41 games and posted a decent .898 SV%, not bad for his first time and in such a massive role. Welcome to the SHL kid.

Renegades
Only team worse this time out was Texas. Mired in doing not very good, they got to 42 points, only 18 wins. Was not a fun time for them I'll bet. Geoffrey Allen secured 56 points and was a massive bright spot. Better yet, he and 6 other players had over 30 points. Another young team who is likely to be only a couple seasons out from competing. Christoffer Bjornsson backstopped them to a 15-23-6 record sure, but he had a .900SV%, one of the better ones out there tbh. I don't feel like they allowed too many opportunities, being middle of the table on shots allowed. Probably just a twinge of bad luck to make this season look worse that they are able to play to. At least they might just get the 1st OVA pick.

SHL EASTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS
TEAM  W  L  OTL  PTS
Wolfpack 32-15-3 67
Platoon 28-18-4 60
Stars 22-17-11 55
Stampede 24-24-2 50
--------------------------
Rage 22-22-6 50
Steelhawks 20-24-6 46
Chiefs 20-26-4 44

Wolfpack
Most wins with 32? Check, Most points at 67? Yep, Highest goals for in the league? You know it. The Wolfpack is just a mash of efficiency. Sorting out opponents weaknesses and tearing them apart game after game. This is not the version of this team I ever want to face again. They scary. Raven Silverwing may have only topped out at 50 points to lead the team, but like a good pack, everyone gets to eat. 6 others at 40 points or more, Mia Landvik could have had more than 30 no doubt, but was a bit busy beating down the league's baddest with no less than 6 fights. Mikke Laukkanen shouldered the load in goal with 41 games, 25 wins, and a .913 SV% of which is quite possibly the best in the league.

Platoon
Toonza had a solid season no doubt. 60 points, second in the west by a solid margin. Adam Falk lead their offence with only 39 points, but this team had 7 30 point players including him. Defensively sound, hard checking, very grind you down style team in the sunrise state. They don't let you put that much pressure on their goaltenders and that allowed them to only let in 111 goals, easily the least in the league. They are a playoff built team and ready to go. Matt Lewis-Flood held the gates closed with a .915 SV%. I can easily see this team giving even NEW some trouble.

Stars
Stargang here managed to make their way into 3rd with 55 points. Lead by Andrey Barbashev and his 44 points, they are a solid, if low scoring team. Only 3 others even made it over 30 points. one of whom being hall of famer, Kristian Eriksson. Mark Harter picked his way through 39 games and posted a workhorse's .907 SV%. Jeff Kirkstone proved a solid backup in his 11 starts. .920 shows just what kind of guy he can be going forward. Unfortunately making it into 3rd sets them up against the Platoon.

Stampede
The Buffalo Stampede pounded out a dead even, .500 win% record at 50 straight points. At this point in time, they are a relatively young franchise who has yet to win anything of note. But that doesn't mean they cant. Steven Stamkos Jr. matched them with 50 points of his own. 4 others had 30+ points. They have all the makings of a golden future. But every young franchise has it's growing pains and stumbling into a 1st round match up against a Wolfpack team who is only 1 season removed from back to back cups has to seem daunting. Stranger things have happened before. Casey Holmes put in a solid .907 SV% performance in 44 games and seems like he can keep them in any game.

Rage
Unlike Buffalo, who won 24 games and nearly made a meme of a 25-25 record, Manhattan only won 22. They still had 50 points, but now have to watch another team play on into the post season. VLAD McZehrl was the Vladdest MAN alive with his 64 points, half of which were goals. 6 others with over 30 points leaves me feeling like many Rage faithful were left wanting. Jason Aittokallio had a rough 44 games with a .894 SV%, not quite how his career tends to go. Who knows where they will be in a few seasons.

Steelhawks
Yes, i know it is hard to believe, but once upon a time ago the Hamilton Steelhawks were not a good team. 46 points is not a winning season and not a good look either. Ben Dover's 41 points lead the show and were a solid build. 5 others had 30 points which is fine enough and shows great signs of life for the future, especially when two of them are rookies in Luke Atmey and Ronnie Westbrook. Big Ben Waters held the fort between the pipes and did alright all told. 19-19-5 in 43 games with a .899 SV%. This team is growing and i know it gets tiring to hear. But they are one of the youngest team here and show great promise. Look out for Steel City Ontario in the VERY near future.

Chiefs
Minnesota never seems to have fun with hockey. In our era they are a middle of the road team that has need a royal rebrand. But here? Not doing so well either. 44 points is worst in the East for sure. Lord Pretty Flacko lead them with 49 points and their team featured no less than 8 rookies. Definition of a rebuild. Robert Andersson's 19 wins and stunning .916 SV% are a massive bright spot during their rough, young, first run at the SHL. One day they may go far, but they are in for a tough time.

That's all for the season's rundown. Look out for the exiting playoffs coming soon. 1795 words to run through.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]