Create Account

S61 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 09:35 PM by Mediocre_Fred.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
MYCWANSWERS
Also were we supposed to add the word Victor Helstrom?
+3 TPE (Hopefully)

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE, What if...? (150 words min.)
Pick a moment in SHL history to change. It could be something large, an expansion draft, sim engine change, or something smaller, like a trade or team punishment. Change something about this moment in the SHL and explain the impact the difference would make in how the league developed since that moment. (think Butterfly Effect)
Here's my thing to change, ready? What if the founding of the Simulation Hockey League was actually about field hockey instead of ice hockey? Can you imagine what sort of wacky world that would be? I bet we'd have to use some sort of very specific field hockey simulation program that was invented by some math major at an ivy league school in 2003 and hadn't been updated since. Would the teams be the same? No way! Imagine playing field hockey in some of the places our teams are now would not work out that well. Probably a bit too cold, I'd imagine. And would it be a mostly female oriented league? I know in the United States at least the majority of field hockey players are female. So that would make the league quite different. So yeah. Changing the league to be field hockey instead of ice hockey. I think that would make a huge difference.
+3 tpe

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Draft Kings (150 words min.)
Pick a draft class in the SHL that you believe had the most impact on the SHL. It can be a consensus pick, like S36, 31, or 53, or an off-the-board one (S41?). Explain your reasoning to why this draft class impacted the league; Could be in a good way, or a bad way.
Yeah, without a doubt the class of season 53. This is one hundred percent because I am from that class and I don't know anything about any of the classes before or after mine. But there is some other evidence that supports my thoughts. First of which is the draft class of season 53 has the most amount of cool people out of all the other draft classes, and that is an indisputable fact. The draft class of season 53 also has the most scoringest players, probably. I didn't run the numbers on that one, but given the class is so big and is still going pretty strong this far into their careers, I'd say there is a good chance of it being true. I think this class also has a bunch of people running the Simulation Hockey League in the banking, HO, and like every other thing that could be run by people, so that's cool too.
+3 tpe

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.)
You've been contacted by a big film studio who wants to center the next big hockey movie around your career so far! All you need to do is supply a 150+ word explanation about what will be key scenes of moments or games in your career, the cast, and a general timeline of the film as it follows you from team to team, junior to pro. This one is open ended so how you approach it is up to you!
Oh boy, I can't wait to see "The Exander", the true story about the expansion draft journeyman Frederick Wanesly. Big highlights would certainly include the 53rd season as Fred Wanesly and the Detroit Falcons dominated the SImulation Major Junior Hockey League and won the championship. It would also include the subsequent slump following that championship. I'm sure it would talk about what some may call "the Herman curse" and how it contributed to that slump. Then we get to the first expansion. Before Fred could even be called up to play with Tampa, the team who drafted him, he was selected to join the brand new expansion team, the Seatle Argonauts. Fred had a good run with the team and was a core component to building the team from scratch. But then, all of the sudden, ANOTHER EXPANSION DRAFT and Fred Wanesly is drafted to another brand new team, the Philidelphia Forge. Again, Fred is a crucial part of building this team up from nothing.
+3 tpe

Code:
12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=119534

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3118192
+1 TPE

[Image: Fred.png]
[Image: PeZ8eh1.png] [Image: r2pSvNf.png]

Task 1 Trivia (3 TPE)

Yogurt Victor Helstrom

Task 2 (3 TPE)

IF there is one thing I would love to go back and change it is something that was in my control. I would have loved to really commit to my prior player, Marmeladov. If personal things did not get in the way, I feel like I would have been in the conversation of at least a good goalie. Plus I would have helped the LA Panthers a lot in that time period. I always look back to that moment I left and think “what could have been”. Could it have even lead to a championship? How would that have changed the outcome for the team and the rest of the league? Would Keith Lee still be an amazing defender? Probably yes. Obviously it sucks when unfortunate time frames and events in real life derail the fun you have, but I am glad I'm back, and that it again is starting to pick up where I left off. I know I'm not leaving early again. Last goalie was over 1000 TPE, this one is heading there and we are going to win some rings.

Task 12 (3 TPE)

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3117585

Task 15 ( 2TPE)

In this year's WJC, I think UCORAL is going all the way. Not just winning the world junior cup. But I mean winning that without losing a game, giving a goal or even having a turnover. Yes, I know it sounds crazy but this year's team is stacked. But why stop there for this monster team? Then they are going to play against all of the IIHF teams and beat them too, because it's too easy. The best part? Our team won’t even uncap from mostly 425 TPE. That's how confident this team is. Petrov will have 20+ shutouts and even score some goals.

Task 19 ( 3 TPE)

He came back, now that I do not have anymore allergies I could thank him properly and give him a huge hug since this one pill changed my whole life. I actually got to the second round of the playoffs in the SMJHL. “You want to make one?” he asked. How could I resist, I nodded and said to give me a day to think of a new power. I tossed and turned and sweated like a pig inside a Tuesday morning, but finally I had an answer. He came back the next day and I shouted “A PILL! NO NOT JUST ANY PILL! BUT A PILL THAT WILL STOP ME FROM POOPING FOREVER” No more constipation, no more diarrhea, no more cramps, food in, no poop. A saw a bead of sweat form on him, he knew the power I just stated, the power of Gods. I nodded with a vicious smile, “make it so, potion seller”.

Task 11a (2 TPE)

Hamilton had a dominant run for sure, a couple players stood out. But we knew about their offensive prowess and defensive plays. But I dont think many expected their goaltender A. Jobin to play as good as he did. Not just in the last series against Texas, but in the entirety of the playoffs. The Texas series, he allowed 1 goal twice, and 2 goals twice. This was pure dominance on all parts of the Hamilton. To me this is the reason A. Jobin should get the series MVP, and potentially the whole Playoff MVP. Many would have said that the goaltending may be the only downfall, and here we stand looking at Hamilton dominating again.

[Image: vikian.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021, 10:04 AM by Hordle.)

1. Shark

7. https://imgur.com/a/yhvhEwn, just gonna link it to avoid any sizing issues

11a. So Hamilton won again. Which more power to them. If they put in the effort to test and know the strategy there's not much you can do. Congrats to the Renegades for making it to the final in convincing fashion. A Jobin command the league in spectacular fashion with a win loss record of forty six and eight. Granted most people don't count goalies since our tpe doesn't matter. But he was a corner stone of this team and without him I don't think they would have been able to beat Texas like they did. And of course you can't forget the goal scoring power of Rikard Hammarberg who finished the season with forty two goals and forty one assists. 

12. https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3118743 (3 milestones)

14. Montreal, with Inf1d3l taking over the team. I believe that they'll make a strong push towards playoffs next season. Maybe being able to slip into the last spot. They will have a long road ahead of them but I believe that the team is in great hands with Infidel taking over. And whoever they choose for their co will have a great partner. It'll be interesting to see the teams trajectory after what happened last season with their GM disappearing. It will be interesting to see how many fresh faces are on the team next season after some call ups. Though they may struggle in the season. I can see them pulling away some very close wins and slipping into that last spot over San Francesco. Even if they don't make it next season, I think the team is on the rise and will compete in the middle of the pack in no time at all. 

19. Alright, since y'all just wanted to ignore goalies with that point task and with the pill powers I'm here to set it straight. Starting with the first pill. You've got lightning reflexes on your glove side. Anything that comes that way is basically a guaranteed catch. However your blocker side remains unaffected and your rebound control is something to be desired. Icing the puck is hard for you if its not caught. Pill number 2, your poke check is like a golf swing. If it connects it's guaranteed to end up on the other side of the ice. However your strength is far to powerful as every time you connect with the puck, the stick gets broken and unusable causing you to need a replacement. These are not balanced in any way and they don't need to be since goalies are the best. No I will not be taking any criticism for these. Stay frosty kids.

[img=0x0]https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/grUaWFD9ou9EjLV73AFr8OZ5Z5ZgBJHWeh35DDNtFgI/https/i.imgur.com/hQtmi8A.png[/img]
CitadellesCitadelles
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 07:27 PM by Lime.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

CW TRIVIA LINK

lime

Code:
Pick a moment in SHL history to change. It could be something large, an expansion draft, sim engine change, or something smaller, like a trade or team punishment. Change something about this moment in the SHL and explain the impact the difference would make in how the league developed since that moment. (think Butterfly Effect)

I think if we never changed sim engines things would be a lot different. It would almost be better. There would be a lot of parity in the league because everyone is using the same strategy that Hamilton discovered. They wouldn't be such a powerhouse anymore because testing in STHS was kinda shit. But at the same time the league might be stale once everyone realizes your builds and testing and whatever doesn't mean anything. Maybe the league loses some steam. I guess it has with FHM though because of the same teams winning. Maybe we just all need bots. What if another exploit in STHS was found? I suppose we had to move sims at some point as STHS just wasn't really that good and the engagement from live sims is great. Maybe we just outlaw testing and run around like headless chickens for a change. Let tampa bay finally win something the poor sods.

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion?
Hamilton had the harder path because both Buffalo and Baltimore were serious contenders, Buffalo having won the cup last season and Baltimore being much scarier than they have been in recent history. Hamilton was very convincing against both and its no surprise they won the finals as everyone expected from about like 10 games into the regular season.
b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness?
Clearly Hamilton being dominant for so long is the more impressive thing but it was cool to see Texas make it big until they beat us in the finals which I did not enjoy. At least they got a taste of their own medicine from Hamilton. Hamilton should be much more impressive than it is but for some reason I can't put my finger on I don't seem to like their methods.
c. What is a renegade? What is a steelhawk? Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?
A renegade is a song by Styx. A steelhawk is someone who uses any unscrupulous means necessary to win. I must say I do enjoy Styx so I prefer the renegades. Based on my quick google search Victor Helstrom lives on a farm and worries a lot about someone's pony tail. Not sure if he is a steelhawk or a renegade there is not enough information.
d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.
The best player to play for Hamilton is probably Robert Phelps. He has a butt load of points, cups, individual awards, you name it. Maybe Flacko Lagerfield had the best short stretch or even Theo Morgan. But Phelps was a madman for a really long time and definitely an all-timer in the SHL.

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestones

Code:
14. Written, 3 TPE, Upswing (150 words min.)
What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?

I feel like Toronto should be able to make that jump but hasn't. Maybe with new management they will figure things out. Baltimore was decent against Hamilton this season and could break into the finals if they get lucky one season. The east is really tough. In the west Edmonton and Calgary are getting back into their classic powerhouse forms. Matchups in the playoffs between these two are great and it would be cool to see one of them back in the finals again after a dry 10 or so seasons. Tampa had a great rebuild but is not having coaching success in the playoffs. A few tweaks could see them as another contender as well. New Orleans is crap right now but they are making moves and I expect them to be back in the playoffs in a few seasons. Its interesting to see some of the parity changes come into effect as far as changing up the playoffs, but the top 4 seem unaffected by it.

Total: 16 TPE

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

PAST

Code:

Verification word: regret

+3 (3 Total)

Code:

So I guess the one I will pick is being on the simon engine. I am sorry I just hate this new engine, it really just is not fun to watch and whilst the other wasn't good to watch you could get good threads going of action and hype with people posting reactions. That was great fun. Literally being on a bad team is suicide for your Hall of Fame chances and in this 1 everyone just gets an insane amount of points per game. I just do not like the parity in this league and this just keeps the SIm Hockey League fun for me. More random wins for teams in playoffs means its more interesting and less of the same teams winning most of the time. Yeah, that would probably be that.
Only other thing I can also think of is if a few more teams drafted me I would still be on that team and doing a completely different career which is wild to think about but what can you do. That is more so hindsight.

[179 words + 3

6 total TPE]

PRESENT

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion?
b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness?
c. What is a renegade? What is a steelhawk? Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?
d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.

A. I will say that Hamilton had the harder path to this final for a couple of reasons. 1. They faced Buffalo who won it last season and 2. they beat us in the semi finals and we were way harder than Edmonton Blizzard. So just off that Hamilton had it harder I guess. - 54 words
B. Neither is really impressive to be honest. They are just going to be strong due to parity no longer existing since the sim engine change. If I had to pick I guess Texas but it was on a better sim engine rather than 1 that I have predicted to an insane degree every season since the start. - 57 words
C. A renegade is an australian esports team that once used to be in the North American League Championship Series before getting a female player killed and tampering. I can't remember the owners name but it was very drama filled. A Steelhawk is a team that does not need to follow rules. I have no idea who that player is but I do not even know 10% of remaining players probably. - 71 words
D. I could not name a single player in the Texas Renegades cause I do not watch sim league games here. I will just say Aaron Wilson is the best player for them cause he usually is or was. He does a lot of work for them I imagine so may as well get the credit. - 56 words

+ 4

(10 total TPE)

Code:

milestones + 3

(13 total TPE)

BEYOND

Code:
20. Written, 3 TPE, Pulling a Jordan 150 words min
This is for you folks in multiple sim sports leagues. Pick your player from another league and translate them to the SHL. Which player attributes from your sport would translate to hockey? Design a full player page for them based on the player page of your other league and discuss how they would perform in a season. Would they be godlike? Shitty? You can pull a switcheroo and discuss your SHL player playing in the other sport as well.

Well I think Jose Forty Three would be useless for SIm Hockey League cause he is more accuracy based than built for skating around. Whilst he would have the good confidence and shooting ability but just getting bullied would  make him weak. Meanwhile Laszlo Forty Two would be the opposite. I reckon he would have to be a bruiser since he is physically dominant but he would not be good at passing and shooting and stuff like that.

Luckily for the cult though the one we may be able to get away with is the brand new freshly baked this month: Owen Forty Four! The World Sim Basketball League player has the ability to be really strong and fast a long with accurate. He is perfect player to bring over here. Now I do not think he would be a Hall of Famer by any standards but I think he could 100% be a for sure great player cause he has the build type to probably keep up with the rest of the league.

[174 words + 3 TPE

16 TPE total]

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Now I am free <3

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 12:29 AM by visceralpotamus.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max
Penne (Victor Helstrom)

During the S59 rookie SMJHL draft, Pasta the Turtle is drafted to the Vancouver Hockey Club instead of the Newfoundland Berserkers. After a brief and aggressive standoff with the club brass, Pasta goes inactive and focuses on his Football career in the ISFL. As an ardent supporter of animal rights, he is unable to abide by their offensive team name. The Vancouver Hockey Club never recovers from the bad publicity they receive from cow-towing to the business interests of big whale oil, that they have difficulty retaining prospects and never win a four-star cup. Newfoundland, meanwhile, is still completely dominant, win a four-star cup without Pasta, although they do so with a little less style. The machine was too strong and nothing derails their success. However since Pasta never gets drafted to Edmonton, the goon squad never gets assembled in its entirety, Sota never becomes interested in being a co-gm when Keygan retires, and the franchise folds. [159 words]

4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.)

The story of the first turtle to become a professional hockey player is an easy pitch for most studios. Couple that with intertwining storylines and appearances from other major players, and it is sure to be a blockbuster. An unassuming reptile gets chosen in the 4th round of the SMJHL draft, and quickly becomes a major part of the Newfoundland locker room. He is majorly influenced by his GM team of ham and juke, as well as his captain Sopath, he rises in the ranks of leadership culminating in a 4 star championship. He gets drafted to the Edmonton Blizzard with his team mate and on again off again love interest, Bfine, who rises the ranks of management within that same club. A love triangle happens as he chooses pasta over his other romantic interest allowing Emeril to be drafted to San Francisco. They complete the trifecta by competing for Japan at the IIHF. Throw in a couple of hours of anti-specist activism and you have a sure blockbuster [167 words]

12. Milestones, 3 TPE

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3118325

13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)

There is a setting in Fifa where when you score a goal, a player is sent off. I think a similar rule should be instituted wherein the winning team of the challenge cup has a player random have his contract rescinded and be forbidden from resigning to that same team. If we want to be generous, you could allow for a choice - either have your contract rescinded, or have your contract doubled. The GMs would need to work around their new inflated contract through trades etc. I think this is a reasonable strategy to not over-penalize success, while also adding some opportunity at parity. Realistically something needs to be done about how testing happens. Seems to take some of the skill out of the game when someone with lots of time on their hands can brute force a championship. Don't blame Hamilton for doing it, but kinda wish there was a way to circumvent that. [155 words]

15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (100 words min.)

well as the newest member of Japan, how can I not call for the 3 peat? While they will have to make up for some of the deficiencies caused by Pasta the Turtle on defence. I have nothing but faith in nhamlet and sota's ability to guide the ship home, creating a !!HF dynasty. I will predict that Canada and Britain have a stronger showing than what they have recently put forth. I think one of them will fall to japan in the finals, with the other picking up a bronze. Personally, I think I might put up some numbers as a shot blocker. [104 words]
17 TPE total (one extra in case I mess up trivia)

[Image: visceralpotamus.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 07:41 AM by Raven.)

Code:

Raven

(1 TPE)

Code:

I think the moment I would have loved to see change is the S32 playoffs. The New England Wolfpack were in the hunt for their 3rd cup in a row and with the future knowledge of knowing they would win the cup a season later. That is a hilarious recipe. It would mean instead of losing in a sweep to the Manhatten Rage in the 2nd round, they would have actually won the cup. Creating an absolute dynasty of winning 4 cups in 4 seasons. If I remember correctly it was during this time there was a lot of hate towards the Wolfpack, while we were just chillin' having a good time and winning cups. Would have loved to see the reaction of us winning 4 cups in a row. Sadly we lost in that 2nd round and never got to expierence what it was like to be a 4 cups in 4 year dynasty and only had the 3 cups in 4 year dynasty experience.

[166 words] (3 TPE)

Code:

a. I think it is fair to say that Hamilton despite having the same record going into the finals as Texas had the harder run. In general Hamtilton had the higher ranked teams to play against. 3rd overall Baltimore Platoon, 4th overall Buffalo Stampede and 12th overall Atlanta Inferno's. Meanwhile Texas had to go through 5th placed Chicago Syndicate, 8th placed Edmonton Blizzard and 16th place San Francisco Pride. They both made it with only 3 losses, having to go through the 3rd and 4th best teams in the overall standings in the regular season should give them the harder schedule. [100 words]

b. I think it has to be Hamtilton still being able to compete at the level they do after all this time. It is in the nature of hockey to see waves of teams who are good for a while and then have to back to rebuilding. It shows great skill to be able to keep a team up in the highest level of play for an extended period of time and compete for cups during that entire period. [78 words]

c. Merriam-webster defines a Renegade as a person who leaves on group, religion, etc. and joins another that opposes it as well as someone or something that causes toruble and cannot be controlled. Like a hockey team who is way to good for a severely long period of time. Merriam-Webster defines steel as a commercial iron that contains carbon in any amount up to about 1.7 percent. A hawk is described as a bird of prey. So clearly it is a bird of prey which is made of commercial iron that contains carbon in any amount up to about 1.7 percent. Victor Helstrom was a S15 defender. [106 wprds]

d. Hard to say I think right now Aaron WIlson has to be a fair shout as one of the best players. He has been in the top 10 point leaders 7 of the last 9 years and lead it twice. This year being the only player to reach 100+ points. For the Texas renegades it has to be Alexander Wachter, he has been among the top point leaders for the Renegades in the last years as well and has lead that stat multiple times. [84 words]

+ 4 TPE

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3118390

(3 TPE)

Code:
There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

This is absolutely an issue. Just to compare it to the NHL, in the last 6 seasons there have been 10 different teams to reach the finals. These teams being the Tamba Bay Lightning, Montreal Candians, Dallas Stars, St. Louis Blues, Boston Bruins, Washington Capitals, Vegas Golden Knights, Pittsburgh Penguins, Nashville Predators, San Jose Sharks. Go back 2 more years as in the example and you can add the Chicago Blackhawks, Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers. So that is 13 different teams to reach the finals in 8 seasons. That is quite the differnce to 5 in 8 compared to 13 in 8 or 4 in 6 compared to 10 in 6. I can respect the teams for building these great teams, however seeing these teams make the finals year in and in, makes the overall season just feel boring. It is almost like you are playing a 66 game season for nothing, because you can count on one hand which teams will make the final and win the cup. You have to respect being able to build these kinds of teams. It always makes you wish for the days any team could win the cup. At the same time, that is also kinda bull cuz you can build a super team and then get swept in the first round by an 8th seed. Although I guess the Lightning showed us this is realistic when they lost to CBJ a few years ago. I am not going to pretent I know how to fix this, but it does seem like quite the problem.

[265 words] (3 TPE)

Code:
21. Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min
It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and its stupid.

I think the more creative PTs were a two way street, cuz you were asking something pretty niche from the user to write about. This has since been corrected by offering two kinds of PTs. The more creative writing one and the more regular and basic prompts. While I liked the more creative prompts every so often, they did not always vibe or gel well and if thats the case writing even something like 150 words can be hard. Having the two prompts is a great compremise between letting people have fun with the more creative prompts and having the more basic stuff. Good job in that regard!

[108 words] (2 TPE)

16/16

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 11:51 AM by puolivalmiste.)

1) Trivia, 3TPE

Verification: Victor Helstrom

4. 3 TPE You've been contacted by a big film studio who wants to center the next big hockey movie around your career so far! All you need to do is supply a 150+ word explanation about what will be key scenes of moments or games in your career, the cast, and a general timeline of the film as it follows you from team to team, junior to pro. This one is open ended so how you approach it is up to you!

Movie about Björn Leppänen's career starts in Finland, looking back at some old footage from Finnish junior league and Kummolacup where Björn earned his 2 season ban from hockey. But he used that time and determination to push himself to new role and to new level which he eventually started reaching when he moved to Vancouver for his short SMJHL career. When focus is on struggles of Vancouver and Björn there with them as their top defenseman special scene would need to be had for his first playoffs game where he got thrown out after 18 seconds.

After that he moved to Texas where first seasons were hard on him and the team but as he was pushing to become even better so did the team. After some heath breaking playoffs losses there was a season when he had hope, Renegades had won Presidents trophy and were facing Hamilton on third round. They were pushed down to 3-1 but managed to force game 7 yet time wasn't yet for them to make further but next season they go all the way. What a perfect ending for a movie but as it should be filmed with Finnish crew we need to bring it to this day and see Björn once again suffer crushing defeat in hands of Hamilton.

10. Podcast, 4 TPE

https://anchor.fm/puolivalmiste/episodes...st-e18pf15

12) Milestones, 3 TPE

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3118442

13) 3 TPE There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

Parity is fine because we are at the top. (about 150 words)

For real though I have stated to think that FHM doesn't actually work too well with how we run the league and build in randomness is too low for our purposes too. Even if you mix things up and Toronto would have ended beating Buffalo in S58 it still only adds one team to the mix. And Im not saying you shoulnd't want to reward building good teams and good coaching but FHM seems to give those aspects bit too much power for player league partially because I expect that game designer didn't expect it to be used for purpose like this and having such a freedom with player builds.

But honestly I doubt we can increase randomness of the engine, we can add some limits or such to make it bit trickier to build towards optimal goal but I feel solutions like that only move goalpost bit further making it still a engine to be solved and difference between teams likely would still stay around the same levels.

And now I noticed the word parody there so just read first line multiple times.

Total: 16/16

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

ISFL Affiliate PT (3 TPE)

1 – Trivia – Verification word – Bear (3 TPE)

13 – Parody (3TPE) 150 words
Lets face it the parity in the SHL is a complete joke and as a newish user who is in other sim leagues I actually find the whole thing very off putting. I am not sure why it hasn’t been addressed properly already but 5 teams competing for the final in the past 8 seasons is a complete joke and I am shocked it has not hurt retention more if I am being honest. As a comparison in the last 8 season in the ISFL 10 different teams have been in the final and there are less teams as a whole in the ISFL. For me the solution is one of 2 things, you either make careers shorter and regression hit harder, or you squeeze the salary cap to make it impossible for team to keep perfect rosters together. I know that some work has been done on both these but no where near enough and it is honestly a complete joke. If I had a preference I would say make careers shorter. I know this will fall on deaf ears but I appreciate the chance to say it.
WC 189

18 – Baby Come Back (2 TPE) 100 words
Well it is time to write a love letter to a long gone user and there are plenty to chose from. This being SHL and not ISFL means that the user I am going to pick I am only guessing that they ever created here, I know they were in a few sim leagues and were considered one of the most loved users across sim leagues. That person is of course everyone’s favourite Finn Murtsi. Now I know if this question was asked in the ISFL I know his name would come up a lot so I hope it is the same here. He was just one of the most fun sweet guys and just a delight to talk to. Loved that guy.
WC 123

20 – Pulling a Jordan (3 TPE) 150 words
Switching a player over from a different sim league to this one you say? Well this feels like it is a question specifically made for me, now I have players in 2 other sim leagues but the one that I would have to bring across would of course be the Austin Copperheads regular human quarterback the ageless Jackie Daytona. Jackie of course is ageless which will match very well with the obscene career lengths in the SHL, all rinks are indoors which also suits him very well as he refuses to play or even appear in direct sun light for some reason. Jackie also has unusual strength which mean he could act as a very good enforces. He has also been known to hypnotist opposing players (although thanks to him this practice is now banned in the ISFL). So I am certain that Jackie Daytona would make an excellent hockey player in the SHL.
WC 154

21 – Feed my Back (2 TPE) 100 words
Well my feedback is honest and from the heart, I think you are doing a great job with the PTs for the last few seasons. I love the off the wall options and find them so much more fun to write than the normal boring ones you get in every sim league. The fact that you have now added choices between normal and more fun ones is a great idea for all those boring people who just want to write about stats or Hamilton. The only thing I would like is for grading to be a little faster some times, but I mean who doesn’t want that! Ignore the haters who are doing great.
WC 114

[Image: gaWPJhU.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 05:02 PM by zaynzk.)

milestones are stupid +1
1. TriviaEasy +3

6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words. +4

Hamilton did not sweep two teams like texas so they clearly had a rougher time. While they where not taken to 7 games like texas was they clearly had some tough teams always while texas only had a few challenges on their road to the finals, Hammy won so clearly they showed their quality but They struggled more

Maintaining a dynasty for 10 + years is increadible impressive, as it is easy to die out and lose players to attrition. But the fact that hamilton has stayed good and shows no signs of slowing down is one of the most impressive things that you will see in these sim leageus

A renegade is a tiktok dance that was super popular during the peak of covid. A steal hawk sounds like some sort of sex thing. That victor guy sounds like a good player but also he probably is old now so who cares about who he is. This has been my info sesion
Best player for Hamilton and probably for both teams is the player known as Michael Scarn is the best player on both teams, he has been one of the most dominate players in the SHL for years and clearly still has alot in him to keep winning and doing well forever.

13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.) +3
One major issue with this league, is that the same teams tend to win every year. This obviously is a bit of a issue due to there being a few teams who dominate for ages. Some obvious things to limit them is cap space. However the lower cap caused a issue where young player ended up not getting resigned by their OG team so i think this is something we should avoid. Another way is to increase regression. The issue with the way regression works is that the average hockey career for a TOP 25% player, is about 12 years (its about 4/5 for a regular player of course), so the fact that players can be going into their 15/16th season and still be a elite player kinda means that teams who are good can easily stay good. Just my two cents. Probably means nothing. I dont think Dynasties are a bad thing, but it should be a little harder for them to maintain imo

14. Written, 3 TPE, Upswing (150 words min.) +3

When will it be new orleans time? we have max earners in most positions we now have lines full of 1000+ tpe players, we are bound to be close right? this is a good thought since i believe that shit will be good now since we should be on the edge of making the playoffs now, I hope so would be fun. I personally hope to get a bigger role in the offense and have the chance to be a real part of the team reather then a bottom of the barrel role player. I hope that we are able to make the playoffs i doubt we will win but it will be a good step towards where we want to be. I hope we are competing to knock off one of the big 5 in hte playoff and really do something crazy and win a cup. That is the goal we hope to hit

18. Written, 2 TPE, Baby come back 100 words min

One of my best friends in sim leagues is Gumbaman, and he has recently gone IA, i am very sad and worried about this so i wanted to write this prompt. Gumba was someone who i talked to a lot and he was always someone i enjoyed chatting with. He was incredible dedicated to sim leagues and was a huge part of the ISFL and SHL for a while. I know he wanted to GM a team more then anything so i was very happy when he got the chance in Regina, but the fact he went IA soon after makes me worries, i hope we hear from him soon he is a awesome dude

16/16

[Image: zayn.png?ex=65e9b101&is=65d73c01&hm=c0f0...y=lossless]
Kyle Sux Lmap

12. Milestones + 3

1. Trivia + 3 - Verification: Renes

Claim 6

[Image: hudson.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 10:26 AM by TheFlash.)

Code:
Trivia, 3 TPE

Verification Word: Olivia

Code:

a) Both teams had a pretty challenging ride to the finals. Round 1, they both had the sweep. Round 2, they played arguably the other best two teams in the league. Texas took Chicago to 7, and Hamilton easily beat Buffalo in 5. Round 3, Hamilton took on Baltimore, a team that I think is probably the number five team in the league. Texas swept Edmonton. I'd have to say that Hamilton definitely played the better teams along the way and definitely earned their championship.

b) I think both teams deserve some praise. Hamilton, they were obviously able to draft well once upon a time a build a really solid core. Of course, there is more to it than that. They were able to get guys who stayed active, maybe adding some pieces in free agency along the way. I think three good drafts can help you have a similar dynasty if you can hit some home runs. Texas, they did a great job building too. Even though this mentions 53, they didn't really hit their stride until 56 when they won 34 games, and had 44 the next season. So they're a dynasty that is very much in the making. I think they could be the team on the other side of this question come 4-5 more seasons.

c) Well, a Renegade appears to be some sort of mean cowboy type figure. Kind of has a supernatural feel to it as well. Maybe an evil ghost cowboy? A steelhawk, well that's a hawk. Apparently one made of steel. Google actually tells me it's some wild looking ride in Kansas. Victor Helstrom is a S15 defenceman created by "Secrod" according to a quick search!

d) Best player for either team is a tough one. I think I'd give the nod to Aaron Wilson for Hamilton. He's been consistently among their top scorers for years now, and in the past three seasons he's taken a huge leap, despite regressing. He's got 295 points in the last three seasons. That's so good! I think MVH is a close second and ultimately will take his spot as the teams top dog. Texas doesn't have the same dominant offensive guys that Hamilton has. I'd maybe give the nod to Cillian Kavanagh as their top player. He's been so good between the pipes for them in the past 3-4 seasons.

Code:
10. Podcast, 3 or 4 TPE
Record a mini-podcast on any of the below topics!
-The good the bad and the ugly: teams that exceeded expectations, did not meet them, and Winnipeg
-The playoffs played out as expected? Any surprises?
-Trades, the infuriating slap on the wrist Hamilton got to start the season, drafts
-Anything else SHL related you want to talk about really. It helps to write a list of topics to hit before recording and just go over them

1 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 8 minutes or 4 TPE for 10 Minutes
2 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 10 Minutes or 4 TPE for 15 Minutes
Post the direct link to your podcast.

Code:
There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

I personally don't really see it as an issue. If you look at sports in real life, there generally are a handful of teams that tend to be among the five 4 or 6 teams. The teams listed above, they are simply just the top teams. I think eventually it'll change, in terms of a new team taking the spot of one of the top dogs. Other teams will build well and their core will surpass the regressing stars of the other teams. Maybe regression is too soft? Are top players being allowed to be at their top level for too long? Perhaps. But I think the ability to have a longer career is what makes the SHL unique. in the VHL, you get like 8 seasons and you're forced to retire. I love the flexibility we have here and would hate to see that taken away. And that's all I have to say about that.

Code:
14. Written, 3 TPE, Upswing (150 words min.)
What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?

I've gotta give some love to my former team San Fran. They've only got 2 or 3 players in regression, and some great earners that are still a few seasons away from even regressing at all. I think the crew over there is building a great core, and eventually they're going to make a run. They had a sniff at the playoffs this year, and I think in another few seasons they're going to be among the best. I think I'm biased, but Montreal is building a hell of a team. Just doing a great job drafting and have a really nice prospect pool. Of course, those players need to develop, but with another one or two bad seasons ahead, they're sure to add some more high end players. Look for them to turn a corner around S66 and be one of the top teams in the 70's. That Jarmo guy is pretty good :eyes:

Code:
Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min
It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and its stupid.

Hey man, You've done alright. First of all, it's a tough job. Having to come up with ideas every week isn't easy and isn't a role I'd want to have. So kudos to you for that. I think the PTs have been interesting, both in a good and bad way. Sometimes, I think the more out there ideas you post are good. Definitely a departure from the typical stuff. But those can sometimes be the toughest to write, at least for me. I think a lot of people would like to see it be more sim orientated, so they can pull from stats and opinions on other teams. That being said, I think you do a good job of walking the line between the two and are only getting better.

Code:
17. Graphic, 3 TPE, Clairvoyant
You have been granted the gift of seeing the future, but only a single future cup winner. Relay us with this info in the form of a cup banner for the winning team. Make sure to include the season they won, you can make up some player names if it's far out in the future. Have fun with it! It could be your team if you want, with you as the star! We won't know if you're lying until SXX anyway.

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post

wordexcel 
Victor Helstrom

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Zine
Create a magazine cover that highlights either a player in the finals or a standout player from the regular season.

[Image: cw61-cover.png]

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3118497

Code:
16. Graphic, 3 TPE, Onto the next
Design a season preview for your team/player next season. Highlight a stat you upgraded/will upgrade, or a player your team will call up from juniors. Make it snazzy.

[Image: cw61-highlight.png]

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE, Baby come back 100 words min
If you had the power to bring back one user to the SHL, who would it be? We're talking full activity, balls to the wall. They could be a banned user, user gone inactive, or someone who's around but doesn't really fuck with SHL anymore. Pick your user and why you want them back that badly? Did you love them, or do you just want to watch the league burn?

Honestly I haven't been around for long enough to "lose" many of my favorite users to inactivity, but the two I most miss are Wasty and karey. Can't really choose which one I'm talking about here, because it's the same arguments for both. I loved the graphics they have been making, and they were definitely among those that I just looked admiringly when I joined the site, and thought that if I could ever make a sig even half as nice, that would be super cool. So huge thanks for making the site look better and more immersive, and for inspiring me and many more graphics people. Would be awesome to still see you make stuff for the site!

Code:
21. Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min

What have you done right is pretty clear to me: adding the second prompt was a smart move. There are a lot of people and understandably not everyone enjoys the same kinds of tasks, so it's definitely a good thing for the players. The downside obviously is that it means more work for you, so a big thank you for that. Personally I didn't maybe love the more creative prompts, but I didn't see it as a problem either. I write about what I'm told to write about, it's fine. The more hockey/sim related things just feel easier for me to get the word count running, so I tend to go with them. I do think you deserve the money and have done a good job. Keep up the good work.

[Image: sulov.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 04:05 PM by Fantobens.)

1. +3 tpe (trivia)
Textextex

2. +3 tpe (150 words)
I use the same thing every time. But here we go again. The Tampa bay barracuda win the season 50 challenge cup. This makes jss keep his job as general manager and keep the team together. I don’t essentially quit. And the whole team doesn’t get traded away. The line of Gunnar soderberg and Matt kohlin and Flaco lagerfield go on to be the highest scoring teammates in shl history. Piling up cup after cup dominating the league. My hands grow blisters from the amount of times I have to go get the cup from the commissioner. The whole league says how fair it is that we are the ones scoring all the goals and making all the babies. Had that happened I wouldn’t have retired and won cups with Detroit and Texas. So on second thought. What I would change is I get free task points. Let’s make this happen. I will wait. I have nothing going on…

11a. +2 tpe (100 words)
The challenge cup finals mvp should be A Jobin. Why? Because they won every game. And they were not blowouts. All of the games were close. If he had bad period let alone a bad game the series could have had a different outcome. The man stood on his head, every game. Even when he was being peppered with shots there was a feeling that it was his series and unfortunately, the Texas Renegades did not have a fighting chance. There were multiple times where it looked like the renegades were going to bounce back, but every time without fail, their momentum and scoring chances were stuffed right back in their faces.

12. +3 tpe (milestones)
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3118528

13. +3 tpe (150 words)
Honestly I don’t know if it can be fixed. The teams were built in different ways. Take Chicago for example, a lot of their team was sign through free agency and they assembled one of the top teams in the league. Texas on the other hand is almost completely drafted. With there Being only one free agent signing in Cavanaugh. In my personal and completely biased opinion it’s much harder to do a Texas did. Building an entire roster through the draft and keeping it together is commendable. But I don’t think you’re ever going to stop good players wanting to play with other good players. The only way around it now is to crunch the salary cap even further. Or we need more top-tier players. May be making top earners not allowed to create goalies. That sounds kind of shitty but that gets more top earners on the ice. Or un-expand, but that is a silly option.

18. +2 tpe (100 words)
I did not even have to think about this. The user I would like to see come back in full force is karey. He is one of my favorite people I have met on the site. On top of being just a nice person and former master of Simon trembley, he had a good eye for signatures. Seeing his artwork die out has been sad. I would also like to see rush come back. I think that would be pretty funny. Or king can come back to tell us how he fucks. But I have to stick with karey. He was one of my mentors when I first started in the league. And if more people know him more people would say , hey where’s karey?

[Image: Fantobens.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 04:33 PM by Seymour.)

dweawdwa

7. Graphic, 2 TPE, This one's for Seymour

[Image: oZCBnOC.png]

9. Graphic, 3 TPE, Nashville moment
[Image: 6gewHAM.png]

+2 - Bean Stats

11b. Graphic, 3 TPE - The Procrastinator Special!
[Image: m5yT5go.png]

16. Graphic, 3 TPE, Onto the next

[Image: 8HUQqll.png]

16/16

[Image: geRnYPO.png][Image: 0S9kFQ6.png]
Shout out Ragnarr for these two amazing sigs