Create Account

S61 Championship Week

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Buster

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE, What if...? (150 words min.)
Pick a moment in SHL history to change. It could be something large, an expansion draft, sim engine change, or something smaller, like a trade or team punishment. Change something about this moment in the SHL and explain the impact the difference would make in how the league developed since that moment. (think Butterfly Effect)

If I had to change one moment in SHL history, I think I would change a recent moment that had a massive impact on the league. After Hamilton exploited the sim and New Orleans countered them in the finals, we changed the sim engine from Simon T to FHM. I personally would keep the old Simon T sim engine instead of switching. This would cause teams to get even more creative in a relatively simple system to try and get an upper hand. Would we honestly have seen any massive changes that could have become new metas? Likely not. I think we would've seen teams go scoring only. I would have liked a couple more seasons to see the counters though. Maybe a team only updates defensive stats and goes into a shell? Maybe passing only becomes the counter meta. In this situation, we still would have changed sim engines within the next couple seasons but who knows what could have been.

Code:
162 words

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Draft Kings (150 words min.)
Pick a draft class in the SHL that you believe had the most impact on the SHL. It can be a consensus pick, like S36, 31, or 53, or an off-the-board one (S41?). Explain your reasoning to why this draft class impacted the league; Could be in a good way, or a bad way.

To me, the draft class that had the greatest impact on the SHL wasn't one listed in the question. Without a doubt in my mind, the most important draft class is the S20 draft class. This class was the original Reddit class. In an attempt to get a massive season for the upcoming anniversary, the SHL made a massive recruiting push on Reddit, going after a ton of different subreddits to drive up interest. This worked out and it worked out big time. A ton of Hall of Famers were in that draft. Bojo was in that draft class who still fundamentally changes the way we use the SHL. This draft was the one who changed how GMs draft. They now plan for Reddit drafts in order to maximize their prospect pool. Drafts can have impacts but I just don't see how any draft can have a bigger impact player or personal wise than the S20 draft.

Code:
157 words

11a. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

As per usual, I am on the awards committee so I don't want to show my hand too much. Instead of giving the player who will have my vote in the end, I will highlight a couple players who showed up and showed out this playoffs. Hamilton had 2 leaders. Theo Morgan put up 11 goals and 26 points for the Hawks while Mitchell van der Heijden scored 16 assists and 25 points. I can't see how anyone could vote for a player who aren't one of these two. You could make an outside argument for the lieks of Wilson and Scarn but I think Morgan and MVDH were far and away the MVPs of the Hawks.

Code:
117 words

Code:
14. Written, 3 TPE, Upswing (150 words min.)
What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?

I'm going to go a little off the board here and not pick the team who I think will be the next team to break into the playoffs. Rather, I'm going to pick the team who I think will be the best future rebuild. The team who will rebuild the best and have a future powerhouse will be the Manhattan Rage. Manhattan decided to blow things up a couple weeks back with the future in mind. Thankfully they have a head start by having one of the best goalies in the league in Name Redacted but they have added some massive pieces in the draft. Robert E Speedwagon, Robert Black, Moose are some of the people they've added to their pool and will all be future superstars. This team has a very bright future and with general managers like JayWhy and CoA at the helm, it is very easy to see why you should have this opinion.

Code:
157 words

Code:
21. Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min
It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and its stupid.

I think for the most part Slash, you've done a good job. The PT head job isn't an easy one and I think you've had a lot of unfair criticism thrown your way. I think honestly your biggest error so far is the focus on what I like to call “fun” PTs or anything that is an out there concept. I think those tasks are fun but I think they are fun to a point. I don't think we should have 5 tasks a season but all 5 of them are “fun” tasks like the pills task. I think a couple of them a season should be hockey focused, a couple fun and make a mixed bag.

Code:
117 words

16/16

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

CW TRIVIA
verification word: Heltor Vicstrom

Milestones (+3)

ISFL Affiliate (+3)
username: 37thchamber

Biopic (+3)

Oh man, a biopic about Jamal Nightingale would be really easy to make. You could recycle a bunch of jokes from Cool Runnings for a start. Like that bit where they go to different businesses to get funding and get laughed at? Yeah that's Jamal telling people in Jamaica "I want to play ice hockey". Or that scene where the team arrives in Calgary, sees the weather and looks on in shock? Then Sanka puts on literally all of his clothes? That's Jamal walking onto the ice at the rink in Santa Monica for the first time. Then there's the training montage, Jamal practicing with Uncle Mo... all culminating in his triumphant arrival in the SMJHL via the draft. People still don't really rate him though, kind of like how the other bobsled teams looked down on Jamaica. Then he plays a fuckin blinder and everyone's like "holy shit the Jamaican kid is pretty good" and they start buying his merch and whatnot. Then tragedy when the Raptors inexplicably get ganked in the playoffs due to reasons beyond their control, like how Jamaica's old-ass bobsled crashed. So when the Raptors are 3-0 down, Jamal is in the locker room "no mon, we 'ave to finish de series". But of course, they still lose. And Jamal walks off the ice with his head held high, because they "finished the series". Inspirational. Oscars in the bag, mate.

Pills (+3)

For me, the benefits and drawbacks of any pills should be balance, as Thanos once said, "all things should be". So I'd probably go with some reasonably modest effects like maybe a pill that ramps up a team's ability to get takeaways by making them more aggressive and more effective at hitting and checking, but as a result, referees are harsher so they rack up even more PIMs than you'd expect from a more aggressive team. But then I'd also have some more powerful pills like maybe one that gives a player 100% accuracy on all their shots; so they never put a shot off target... but it also makes all their passes completely inaccurate. So you'd have the players who took that pill shooting from ridiculous distance and hoping their teammates get the rebounds or something. Or maybe one that makes a player impossible to dispossess (or whatever the hockey equivalent of tackle is, I guess), but also makes them completely blind while in possession of the puck. I can see teams coming up with wacky strategies to maximise the usefulness of a player like that... if it's even possible haha.

Pulling a Jordan (+3)

Jamal Nightingale is quick, strong, and big. He's a physical guy who gladly puts his body on the line, and doesn't back down from confrontation. With all that in mind, he would probably make a pretty awesome centre back in soccer (specifically in the now-defunct GRSL). If you take his biggest strengths and translate them to the relevant attributes for soccer, you get something like Giorgio Chiellini, one of the best defenders of his generation; a 6'2 defender with excellent tactical awareness (defensive read, positioning), and strong ball-winning ability (hitting, checking, aggression, bravery), who is good in cover (speed, agility), and probably also a decent aerial defender (strength, balance). This is before mentioning his contribution in the attacking phase, where his reasonable eye for a pass and again, decent tactical awareness, mean he could potentially act as a secondary playmaker out of defence (like Leonardo Bonucci, perhaps). In fact, he'd almost definitely be playing for Juventus, thinking about it. Since GRSL is no longer a thing.

UpdatesPlayer Page
The Journey

6,000 mile road#DidItForDildo1,700 miles more
A Silver Road

Drought Ender, Curse Breaker, Firebird
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2021, 09:50 PM by Ferda.)

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
lol
3/16

Quote:2. Written, 3 TPE, What if...? (150 words min.)
Pick a moment in SHL history to change. It could be something large, an expansion draft, sim engine change, or something smaller, like a trade or team punishment. Change something about this moment in the SHL and explain the impact the difference would make in how the league developed since that moment. (think Butterfly Effect)

If I could go back and change all the time that has passed since we made the switch to fantasy hockey manager 6 in season 51 till now, I would have leaked the wide spread use of performance enhancing drugs across the simulation hockey league. We would have adopted the Singaporean laws surrounding the possession and use of illegal substances and punish anyone infringing with the death penalty. As a result, members of teams such as the Hamilton Steelhawks, would be eliminated and forced to field teams filled with all star players such as vigo mortensen and legends such as knut knurtssen. Most notably on the chopping block, Gabriel Johnson and Augustus Wang would be some of the prominent names being beheaded and have their heads staked along the boards to remind others to not do drugs like they were taught in the D.A.R.E. program. We would have teams like the Minnesota monarchs and the Winnipeg arurorura winning the challenge cup instead! Too bad nobody would pay attention to the league anymore.

6/16
(172 Words)

Quote:6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion?
b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness?
c. What is a renegade? What is a steelhawk? Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?
d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.

a.) the Hamilton steelhawks definitely had the most difficult path to the challenge cup finals! They faced so much adversity along the way like playing the league like a fiddle with how they once again cheated to the top of the league! They did a great job of making the rest of the league lose interest and using that against all of their opponents. (63 words)
b.) the Texas renegades are definitely the more impressive team in comparison because they have fought harder only to come up short just like every other team in the simulation hockey league that is not named the buffalo stampede or Hamilton steelhawks! You need to admire the fact that the Texas renegades, along with all of the other simulation hockey league teams, that they are content with always coming in second unless something extreme happens! (74 words)
c.) a renegade is a person who is content with getting absolutely stomped by a steelhawk that is juiced to the teeth with steroids and only fights dirty. Fortunately or unfortunately, steelhawks are fictional characters who actively cheat the league to their own benefit which is similar to a stampede of buffalo. (51 words)
d.) the best player to play for either team is Gabriel johnson who is known as the initial mastermind behind the cheats of the Hamilton steelhawks organization by introducing them to performance enhancing drugs such as “shooting the puck as much as you can”. Gabriel johnson may as well be retired because his corpse is slowly rotting away on the Edmonton blizzard. (61 words)

10/16

Quote:12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

milestones +3

13/16

Quote: 13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)
There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

The simulation hockey league is never going to see parity at any point and it has been this way for years and years because the people in charge of the bad teams in the league are unable to properly manage their teams. Nobody wants to sit forever on a trash bottom feeder team whose players are going to eventually ask out or leave in free agency because there is no optimism when you are a member of the bad teams in the league. You aren’t engaged in the sim and it feels like you are wasting your time by taking part in the league. If these trash teams want to be anywhere near the top at any point in the future they need to go hard at keeping their players active on discord and keeping them happy with an optimistic future. If it wasn’t for me being part of buffalo, I would have wanted to be on Hamilton and there was no other team that would have come close. (169 words)

16/16

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

done, Verification Word:
schnitzel

Code:
12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

Can be found here (2 TPE)

Code:

This may seem biased but I think the Tampa Bay Barracuda are heavily on the upswing. From the point where I was drafted there we were not really tearing the league apart but have been steadily working ourselves towards the playoffs and are on an upwards trajectory there. Last season we went to the first game of the playoffs (with a bit of luck towards the end of the season) and this time we won our first series and made it to the second round. Sadly we lost it but I think this is a trend a lot of us can support and hope we will follow and continue to be on for the future seasons. We have a nice and young core, big earners, motivated users with a lot of love towards the team, so I can totally see us going to the finals somewhere in the next two or three seasons. Will we win it? Maybe not, but I can see us at least going there.

Code:
15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (100 words min.)

Well the IIHF is already going on at the moment as I write this so the bold prediction of "Great Britain will go 9-1 in their first 10 games" is neither bold nor a prediction at this point. Sadly before I started to look into this season I thought this was the season for Austria. I thought the team would finally come up there in TPE and will rock the socks off but it seems I was too premature with this thought since, frankly, we are bad. 4-6 in the first 10 games is nothing to really write home about. But without looking too much at the current results I think Sweden has a chance to win it all this year. They have a great squad, winning good games and it is much less boring than saying GB will take it home.

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE, Baby come back 100 words min

I do not have any intention to bring a banned user or someone who was responsible for drama back to the league. I like this league way too much and there is little that I hate more than drama so none of those. But the one person I would love to get back into here because I like him just a lot is @124715. He is a generally amazing dude and I think his responsibilities in the ISFL were a bit too much for him to totally get into the SHL for the long run. I enjoyed the time we had together in Carolina and of course the time we still spend together in Honolulu in the ISFL. But on a totally different note: @Gumbaman please come back or let me know you are fine.

Code:
19. Written, 3 TPE, Pills 150 words min

Oh that is a hard one. Compared to other people I did not find the pills point task bad or anything. I actually found it pretty funny and a nice change of pace to write about. Much better than the 300th "which are your best friends in the league" or whatever PTs. So what you are saying here is that I am a drug pusher now. Which means to run a business like this effectively I have to make people come back to buy more. So that whole tricking Hamilton into buy the poop pills does not work because the downside must be hidden so that they will come back for more because they think it works. So I would have to talk to trench coat man and develop something that has small upsides that makes them come back for more while at the same time has downsides that will make them be bad, but they can not put their finger on exactly why. It is like playing a round of Plague Inc: Be hidden until it is time to strike.

Code:

I think you have done a splendid job with the Point Tasks. Nobody is perfect and we had that occasion where the task just had a really bad timing with a real world occurrence (I think that was this season? Or was it last season? To be honest I am confused by time) and the PT was replaced very quickly without pissing anyone off who already wrote it. There are some of them which were way more fun, some which were not really that a lot of fun, but that is just how it goes. Writing about prompts includes personal taste, and as the name says it is personal so everyone likes different things. So whoever dislikes a PT and thinks the way to deal with it is to attack you can ... you know what. Continue doing your thing and try to ignore the people who want to be dicks about a writing prompt on an internet forum.

Total: 16 TPE (actually 17 but whatever)

[Image: gREvMiW.png]
Canada Timber  Jean-Jacques François Jacques-Jean || S74  Timber Canada
Austria Barracuda Kraken  Finn von Murphenstein || S57 - S72  Kraken Barracuda Austria 
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 03:02 AM by pauadrian.)

ISFL Affiliate
CW Trivia Word - Kidd

Code:
[b]4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.) [/b][b]You've been contacted by a big film studio who wants to center the next big hockey movie around your career so far! All you need to do is supply a 150+ word explanation about what will be key scenes of moments or games in your career, the cast, and a general timeline of the film as it follows you from team to team, junior to pro. This one is open ended so how you approach it is up to you![/b]
In the case that you guys did not read the backstory media for Alex Kidd, I will let you all in on a bit of lore context. Alex Kidd a good 10 years or so used to be a big famous wrestler who won world titles and retired at a young age despite his potential. So now he has come back to the Simulation Hockey League to cause anarchy and destruction. He has come back to SHL in order to reignite that athletic fire in him. The film crew would follow his debut in front of the QCC fans and the big surprise it would be. From Alex Kidd wearing sunglasses, growing out his hair again and wearing hoodies. His return workout routine and him finally making that return to a huge pop and that fiery promo he cut on the entirety of the league. Little focus would go into his actual playing time as he did not have much to be honest but he did have some high points as he scored a couple goals and assists but hey, can't ask much more than that from a guy who's main sport is not hockey. Return of the Kidd would be the movie's title
Milestones +1

Code:
[b]15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (100 words min.) Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC if you care about that more. Will there be surprises? Will any players make their country proud? Who's gonna suck? Be bold![/b]
I truly do believe that Alex Kidd will be making his country proud in the juniors championship. Regular season he may not have gotten the minutes he may have hoped for. This though? This tournament is his time to shine and prove the QCC management wrong. He is going to go out there with a purpose not just to shine in the tournament for himself but also because he wants to become the breakout minors SHL superstar! All that potential the scouts have said he had will be proven. It not only is important for his own ego but also to save his hockey career as well

Code:
[b]20. Written, 3 TPE, Pulling a Jordan 150 words min This is for you folks in multiple sim sports leagues. Pick your player from another league and translate them to the SHL. Which player attributes from your sport would translate to hockey? Design a full player page for them based on the player page of your other league and discuss how they would perform in a season. Would they be godlike? Shitty? You can pull a switcheroo and discuss your SHL player playing in the other sport as well.[/b]
Oh man, this is just my kind of PT. If I had to choose one sim league character from another league? it would absolutely have to be the character most similar to this one. You see, Alex Kidd might be arrogant but nobody really cares about him at the end of the day because he just is not that talented. Bobby Roode from the Pro Baseball Experience however? That is a completely different story, this dude is mean, ruthless and just absolute nasty in the worst of ways. I have no doubt Bobby Roode would take this league by storm, he is a huge hockey fan and is also a wrestler. So not only is this league perfect for him standing out, but it is also perfect for the fights that he would provoke. He is a winner by all means necessary and will cheat to win if needed. Any shortcut he can, he will take. From fighting, building his strength and speed? You guys would not be ready

Code:
[b]21. Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and its stupid.[/b]
I will be honest? I do not think you might be doing anything wrong considering how serious this league seems to be? But for me a complete noob who just wants to play with his friends and does not want to care about anything except himself? It can be a little daunting to write 150 words about something league related. Sometimes I just decide to not write anything here and would rather do an extra 50 words in an affiliate league like Pro Baseball Experience or International Football Sim League. This is just me and my dumb opinion though and I am sure you would take better criticism from someone else, perhaps a veteran here

[Image: lZacrUG.png]

Code:

Helstrom +3

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.)
You've been contacted by a big film studio who wants to center the next big hockey movie around your career so far! All you need to do is supply a 150+ word explanation about what will be key scenes of moments or games in your career, the cast, and a general timeline of the film as it follows you from team to team, junior to pro. This one is open ended so how you approach it is up to you!

Movie would start with key episode from my childhood when I went and supported my hometown team and wanted to be just like them. After every game I came home and practiced some moves, shots. Then we will jump many years forward to second key scene - the SMJHL draft night where me, my family waiting for my name to be called. Third key scene would be after my rookie season I got drafted to SHL, my dream playing in best league in the world is coming reality. Next key scene would be conversation between me and Anchorage GM about me being put in expansion draft and going to Great Falls. I think the last key episode would be saying goodbye to SMJHL and moving to SHL. New journey awaits.
Of course in the middle of all of this is my emotions, my relationships with my family, my teammates, my girlfriend.

The title: The journey

**154 words**  +3

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion?
b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness?

a. I think both teams had equally hard path. Hamilton met Baltimore (seed 3) and Buffalo (seed 4), while Texas had tough series against Chicago (seed 5). While Texas swept Edmonton, Hamilton was not easy series against Baltimore (64 words) +1
b. For sure, Hamiltons run is more impressive. Texas achievement is great too, but rebuilding takes time and every team can do that is 10 season time, just need patients. But to stay at the top for 10 seasons it is much much harder because every other team wats to beat them. (51 words) +1

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=119534

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
Milestones  +3

Code:
13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)
There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

I do not see any issues. Yes it is kinda boring to see same teams in finals over and over again, but then again it is not their fault they are that good. They just have found their winning formula and that is it. Texas was shit 10 seasons ago, but now they were in finals. That shows, that every team can build a success over time, just need patience and time to do so. I think over next 5 seasons there will be someone new who will be in finals, maybe Baltimore, Edmonton, Calgary, Tampa or some other team.
And if it needs to be fixed I do not even see how it can be fixed. It just need to happen organically. It is like any other sport. If team had found their winning squad they will stick with it and got anything they can out of them and it will take time for some new team to work their way up to championship or even finals and then it will be new era.

**175 words**

Code:
It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and its stupid.

Nobody is perfect and there will always be criticism over something someone does, it is how it works in normal world. You will never satisfied all people needs, it is simply not possible. For this season some point tasks were fun, some were like just "why?" but overall all point tasks were understandable and achieved and doable. It is not easy to come in with some new ideas and trying to to repeat point tasks. From now on it will not get easier, because there have been sooo many good point tasks and it will be tough to think something new (101 words)

Total: +16

Drafted 59th Overall in SMJHL S58 draft by Anchorage Armada
Drafted 9th in SMJHL S60 expansion draft by Great Falls Grizzlies
Drafted 36th Overall in SHL S59 draft by Calgary Dragons

[Image: lux2.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 07:52 PM by DollarAndADream.)

Code:
Victor Helstrom - boobies

Code:
If I had to change a moment in SHL history, I might as well pick something super recent. In S61 the Edmonton Blizzard beat my Calgary Dragons team 4-1 in their quarter finals series. I would change this, and make it so the Calgary Dragons won it instead, coming back from down 3-1 in the series to win Game 7. Calgary would then go on to beat the Texas Renegades in the Conference Finals, which is where the Edmonton Blizzard got swept 4-0. Then of course, the Calgary Dragons would move on to beat the Hamilton Steelhawks in the finals and win the Challenge Cup in S61. Why not, right? The Dragons would win yet another cup, and my player Mikael Choybuk would win another cup with them. It's hard to say how much this would truly impact the league, because it was so recent, but it would be another cup that the league would add to the storied Calgary Dragons franchise.

Code:
You've been contacted by a big film studio who wants to center the next big hockey movie around your career so far! All you need to do is supply a 150+ word explanation about what will be key scenes of moments or games in your career, the cast, and a general timeline of the film as it follows you from team to team, junior to pro. This one is open ended so how you approach it is up to you!
A movie based around Mikael Choybuk's career would be nothing less than iconic. This movie would follow Mikael Choybuk through all the leagues he went through, being high school, junior, the SMJHL, and to the SHL. Most of this movie would be a huge eat-a-thon, where Choybuk chows down on chicken parm meals after being drafted to the Calgary Dragons. A lot of the starting points of this movie would be dinner times at home or at the arena, where Choybuk would be out with teammates eating chicken and cheese, or just huge plates of pasta that he used to enjoy before he made it mandatory to eat chicken parms at the SHL level. Basically, this would be a 1 hour and 30 minute cinematic masterpiece, watching Mikael Choybuk and the Dragons eat chicken parm. Win a playoff series, eat some parm, win a championship, eat some parm out of the cup, and so on. I think you get the gist.

Code:

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3120116 (2 TPE)

Code:
I think it will change itself eventually. Teams come and go with their dynasties. Those teams are obviously powerhouses. Is it just that they have figured out the sim and know how to beat it? Who knows, but eventually one will fall, because teams need to rebuild or retool. Players age and regress, so changes will have to be made by the teams and their statistics should be affected by that. Can it be changed? I'm not really sure, because it's hard to say. You'd probably have to dive into each of their specific locker rooms and DMs to see if there's anything specific they're doing to consistently get to the top. Maybe they know exactly which players to build and how to combine them, and they're getting all of their players to do those builds. Who knows? I don't think it can be fixed. The teams that aren't going far in the playoffs will have to figure out a way to fix that, and I think that it's doable.

Code:
What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?
Honestly, I think the Calgary Dragons are just on the verge of doing something big again. We have too good of a team to sit back and watch teams get to the finals, and we've eaten too many chicken parms to not have it pay off big time. We have a big influx of young players and veterans, and our coaches and GMs are too good to let us come up short in the playoffs over and over again. The Calgary Dragons are a storied franchise that has many, many cups, and I think the capability is definitely there to get to the finals and win once again. Will my player be still on the team and not retired by the time the Dragons win again? I don't know, but my goal is to be there. If not, then I will be happy when they do win if it's without me. I'm going to keep fighting regression and be half dead out there if I can.

[Image: 9d3oxij.png]// [Image: 8xyKeyf.png] [Image: SHLEmoteDragons.png]
[Image: RNCgTPl.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]
[Image: RIXCbNI.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 07:20 AM by krazko.)

Code:

Hobbes

+3 TPE

Code:
Pick a draft class in the SHL that you believe had the most impact on the SHL. It can be a consensus pick, like S36, 31, or 53, or an off-the-board one (S41?). Explain your reasoning to why this draft class impacted the league; Could be in a good way, or a bad way.

As I'm still relatively new league history wise, I'll have to take something from recent history and therefor I think the draft class that has impacted the league the most in recent history is the S55 class, really starting the big research and dedication to getting the Mock draft as good as possible with the beans network, several of the members are now GMs or co-GMs and have big league jobs. Among them Zema who held a co-GM role in New England, AgentSmith who has had almost every league job under the sun.
The bean network who is constantly coming to life around draft season with the aim to achieve the perfect mock draft is impacting how players all over the league does the mock, additionally some GMs are known not to leak or spread misinformation to avoid their potential draft steal being exposed early in the mock drafts by the investigations done by the Beans!

+3 TPE

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
c. What is a renegade? What is a steelhawk? Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?
d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.

a, Both teams had their challenges leading up to the final, going through some great teams. But to me, Hamilton Steelhawks had the most challenging path going through both Buffalo Stampede and the new powerhouse team Baltimore Platoon who has been a joy to see the past few seasons. While it could be argued that the Steelhawks didn’t every get taken to a game 7, I don’t think that speaks against their opponents, only on how strong the team is..

b, With the way the Simulation Hockey League is structured I think the most impressive is to completely rebuild the franchise and being able to be competing for the title after 10 seasons. That’s a relatively short timespan in the SHL to be able to completely turn around the ship and almost achieve the goal of every franchise in the league!

c, Victor Helstrom is an oldtimer (Season 15) who retired back in 2015.
A Renegade is someone that causes trouble and can’t be controlled. The Texas Renegades are showing that they might soon be a true definition of the team name if they continue improving like the have for the past seasons.

d, I think the best player to have played for either team is Theo Morgan.
Theo Morgan has been a point per game player (for 3 different teams) since season 54. Since then, he’s never scored below a point per game the added impressive fact of having broken 100 points last season with the impressive score line of 48 goals, 54 assists.

+4 TPE

Code:
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

Hamilton won again, and as always, they have many players who all have a claim to the series MVP.
My vote goes to A Jobin, playing really solid throughout the entire playoffs with a save % of 94%. Allowing only 6 goals in the entire series, against the Renegades who scored on average 4 goals a game in the regular season and 3 goals during the playoffs!
Really shows that the Steelhawks played against a team that knows how to score and they successfully managed to shut that efficiency down.
Jobin continued to show his dominance and helped the Steelhawks edge out the Renegades and win the title again

+2 TPE

Code:

Milestones Claim Link

+2 TPE

Code:

While there are plenty teams that look scary and are doing a good job on improving their teams and building future power houses. As mentioned in the prompt, both Toronto North Stars and Tampa Bay Barracuda are doing a good job and are looking like they might break in soon! San Francisco Pride are also doing a great job and are looking like a scary team that will definitely be up there challenging in a few seasons.
But for the scariest team coming up, I have to go with my own New England Wolfpack! We have a core of players that are all nearing their prime and we have constantly been improving and finally started to make the playoffs after a long drought. While we have lost some key players (Zema, Bayley) we still have a solid core and have gotten good returns for the losses of the players seeking new adventures.
The New England Wolfpacks time will come soon and it will be a scary time for the other teams

+3 TPE

Total: 3 + 3 + 4 + 2 + 2 + 3 = 17 (claim 16)

[Image: m59RPb7.png]   [Image: FcWmVTl.png]
[Image: krazkoSEA.gif]
credit to amazing @Carpy48, @Ragnar @sköldpaddor, @the_paytonium & @sulovilen !

12. Milestones 3/3 TPE (3/16)

1. Trivia Word: Pride (6/16)

2. If I could go back and change one thing, it would probably be the SHL finals in S52. San Francisco stepped it up and it would have been real nice to see the teams first franchise cup be awarded at this point, right at the end of the STHS era. I was called up and played in the finals, my first couple of games in the league. Would have been fantastic to help the team get there but alas it just wasn't meant to be. I think that could have changed a lot of things. Maybe those questionable deals that are in the headlights are never made and the leadership doesn't blow up a couple of seasons from this point, maybe there is a smoother transition and no need for a complete rebuild. I'm still excited I got the chance to rebuild the team from scratch more or less but I think that Cup win would have been amazing for the team and a good send-off to the old management group. (9/16)

3. Oh man, there are so many picks here. I think I'm going to stick to draft classes that I'm familiar with, that being 50 and onward. So this I guess is going to be more of a 'which draft class has been the most important in the last two years' sort of thing. I think there are a couple of clear front-runners here. S50, S53, S54 and S55 but I think if it really came down to it I would have to pick one of S50 an S53. S50 was a great class and I feel lucky to have been a part of it. It took some time for the class to really establish itself on the ice but to have such a large bulk of the class be some dominant and well earning is impressive and from what I understand S50 seems to have been the first class of the 'new era' of the SHL. Increased growth, lots of users that are in leadership positions. It did a lot for the league. Users like Acap and Cementhands really stepped up and took on big roles. Bromanov is a media wiz and probably one of the most loved users on the site. Fitted is Fitted. The class can also boast that over half a dozen users have been GMs at some point. (12/16)

6. C. A renegade is a hunk. A baad boyyy. A total hunk that doesn't take no crap from anyone hes the boss don't tell me what to do mom I can skrateboard if I want to! Steelhawks I am I a little less certain about, although I imagine that is probably whats on the album cover of Screaming for Vengeance. Pretty badass. Victor Helstrom I have no idea about. My guess would be some kind of alien or maybe a ghost. (13/16)

13. First of all I want to start out by saying that I think the league has done a good job at trying to solve this issue. Taking steps that are not only good for parity but good for the league's health in general I think. Better divisions, the new TPE range which makes players jumping up into the SHL much smoother and the new contract levels are all great I think and it definitely makes it more difficult for teams to establish dynasties. However, I do think that where we are right now is objectively really bad for the health of the league and I'm not sure what the answer is. We have two teams that have dominated for last 8-10 seasons. Since S51 (11 seasons), Buffalo and Hamilton have won 7 times. If they don't meet in the finals, chances are they have met somewhere on the way there and only one team was able to advance. Obviously, if you manage a team well you should be rewarded. I'm not saying you shouldn't. But having teams be this dominant over such long stretches of time really makes it hard to sell other teams to players if they want to win. Those win at all costs type players will be drawn to those franchises, making them be able to compete for even longer. Its just not good for the long-term health of the league. So yes, I think the league has done a lot for parity but I also think that in the current state the different level of 'cutthroatness' between the GMs and teams are also a big issue that will need to be addressed at some point. (16/16)

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 07:02 AM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

Quote:Code:

Kessel

Wow it's tough not to write about the most recent sim change for this one. I know that at the time, for many people it looked like I was against the change to the new engine, which I wasn't. I was merely critical about some aspects of the transition while acknowledging that the new engine would absolutely be superior to our old on. Sadly it feels like many of the concerns I had came true, first and foremost the lack of parity that the league has been grappling with since and the intransparency and rushed nature of the transition by some of the people in charge. So what would I change? I think that transparency and parity go hand in hand, one big issue about the current FHM landscape is the information gap. Some people have hundreds of hours of experience with the engine or even are in contact with the developers while others had to learn the game from scratch. Instead of using this information gap to ones selfish advantage, we should have thrown our leagues collective ressources together to work on our own handbooks and guides to help players and GMs, while at the same time working together to eliminate new loopholes and exploits beforehand instead of searching for them for the betterment of our team.

There are a couple of candidates from the early years of the league which would be great picks here, first and foremost S5 and S20. I think S20 is arguably the single most important draft this league both through the size and the quality of the members it brought in as well as the impact it had on the league going forward. But this is also pretty common knowledge among the more veteran members in this league so I assume someone else is gonna write about that one. I would have loved to pick my own first draft here which was in S7 but sadly that class was too small and too inactive as a whole and it only produced a handful of good players. So I'm gonna go for something a little different here and choose not just one draft class, but a group: S7 to S11. Basically, these draft classes kickstarted the "second generation" of the SHL. The league had implemented a couple of important rule changes between S5 and S10, the most important one probably being changes to the player progression that saw us get the first update scale as well as opening up the possibility of much longer player careers than before. And it was the players from the S7 to S11 classes who were the first ones to reap the rewards of these new changes, bring the SHL to a new era and basically create and live the type of career progression that we still largely follow to these day. This included players and members like Tylar, Wadey or myself (S7), JayWhy, Joe McKeil, McZ, the Scherbluks, Wongy (S8), Buster, Phil Schenn and Willie Weber whose usernames I've fogotten (S9), Green, JNH, Serpe, Smirnov Light (S10), Schultzy, Donini, Keenan, Kary (S11) as well as a bunch of recreates who made their first really good players during that time like Hallsy and Wasty and a bunch of others who I didn't think to include. Sorry, it's been a few years at this point Wink ...

Milestones +2

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3119679

Ohhh boy this is right in my ballpark, as this has been my big issue with the league in recent seasons (and actual real life years at this point) ever since our change to FHM. As you can see in one of my previous answers, I think that parity is a huge problem and that we really dropped the ball there when our transition to the new engine was happening. And I'm honestly baffled by everyone who can't see this problem - we can disagree on the things we might want to do to adress it, we might disagree on the severity of it, but acting like the leagues parity hasn't taken a huge hit over the last two years and has basically disappeared is, i'm sorry to use that word, idiotic. Now I do acknowledge that after initially dropping the ball during the engine switch, the league has actually been quite proactive and done a lot to try and fix this problem. The various changes haven't had enough of an effect yet but some of them are so recent that I'm fine with letting things play out another season or two to see if those changes work before we discuss further ones.

18. Written, 2 TPE, Baby come back 100 words min
If you had the power to bring back one user to the SHL, who would it be? We're talking full activity, balls to the wall. They could be a banned user, user gone inactive, or someone who's around but doesn't really fuck with SHL anymore. Pick your user and why you want them back that badly? Did you love them, or do you just want to watch the league burn?

I will have to go with my buddy Joe McKeil here, a name who most of you will probably know from the Coach of the Year Award that has been named after him, but who has largely been forgotten aside from that because his star shined brightly for exactly one player and that was it, no recreate, no sticking around in Discord as an alumnus, nothing. I've tried a couple of times over the years to get him to make a comeback but he is frankly not interested and I can't blame him. Part of the reason for him not wanting to return are simply the different real life circumstances of today compared to almost ten years ago, but also how his career came to an end which I still considered one of the biggest injustices in the leagues history to this date. McK was one of the shining examples of sportsmanship on this site, who treated everyone with respect, stayed away from drama while also being a great and loyal GM and player for the Hamilton Steelhawks. Pretty much everyone liked and respected him aside from parts of the sadly rather corrupt league leadership we still had in some areas back then. So one season late towards his career they came up with a bullshit "cheating" punishment for a trade he made that, like so many trades today, was clever but didn't break any rules. His appeal wasn't even heared (unsurprisingly, because back then the appeal went to the same group that dished out the original punishment) and that completely killed his motivation. He stepped down as a GM shortly after, his activity completely disappeared and he stuck around as barely a semi-active for a few more seasons to make his player end his career as the leagues all-time scoring leader at the time, before retiring and never coming back. A very sad end to one of the brightest shining stars the league had seen at the time.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

1. Trivia
Tater
3/16

While I think both feats are impressive in their own right, I give the edge to staying good for over a decade. Rebuilding a team is no easy feat. It takes time and planning to line things up. However, keeping a team good for a long time is on a whole other level. The level of planning and constant evaluation of team needs both current and future is a lot of hard work

4/16
12. Milestones
Milestones
7/16

Edmonton fell short of making it to the finals this season, but they are about to get a lot better with a new wave of prospects. Season 59 netted Edmonton its next generation of players and they are coming in hot. First up is Slavakov Vladimirashenko having captained the Newfoundland Berserkers for the last couple season Slavakov is ready for the big time. Coming in with his is another Berserker and assistant captain Pasta the Turtle. Both these players are high earners and are coming in with finals appearances in season 60 and 61 walking away with the cup in season 60. Next up we have Sven Svechnikov Defenseman from Vancouver and top of the class in TPE. Fresh off a season 61 cup win Sven will shot down teams alongside Pasta. Also from Vancouver is Makrus “The Tater” Jager, Center and faceoff leader in season 60 and 61. If Makrus can get the puck to his team he is already doing his job. Lastly we have Artemius Nyström out of Colorado. Artemius was 5th in hits among forwards in season 61 and is sure to bring some much-needed pain to the Edmonton goon squad. After a season to warm up these additions to the team should give Edmonton the push they need to make the finals.
10/16

19. Written, 3 TPE, Pills 150 words min
Love it or hate it, that Pill PT (PT 2) was wild and may I say, genius. You've partnered up with the weird trench coat pill guy to design your own pills, with powers and drawbacks to sell to your fellow SHLers! How do you go about this, do you make really good pills to help your team? Trick Hamilton into taking some really shitty pills with the promise of incredible powers? Or do what I did and make a bunch of insane pills and watch the league go absolutely crazy trying to make sense of what the fuck I'm even talking about? Or just make a bunch of jelly beans?

I would be compelled to create some ridiculous pills based on a variety of sources. Naturally I could not resist the chance to make the following pills:
The Yellow Pill: turns you into wolverine. That’s right massive healing, Adamantium claws, Super sad backstory where everyone you love is dead but its cool cause you don’t remember it.
The Grey Pill: turns you into a dire wolf. That’s right straight out of game of thrones. With all the power and coolness but likely a short lifespan like most things in game of thrones.
The Black Pill: its black licorice and if you still choose this pill after knowing that then we are not friends.
The White Pill: turns you into a magical cat that rides around on a book. Side effects may include hating yourself and being toxic to others.
The Red Pill: turns you into a pokemon of your choice. Or Arcanine because that is the only correct choice.
13/16

20. Written, 3 TPE, Pulling a Jordan 150 words min
This is for you folks in multiple sim sports leagues. Pick your player from another league and translate them to the SHL. Which player attributes from your sport would translate to hockey? Design a full player page for them based on the player page of your other league and discuss how they would perform in a season. Would they be godlike? Shitty? You can pull a switcheroo and discuss your SHL player playing in the other sport as well.

Makrus’s pet wolf Zephyr plays football in the ISFL. He is a linebacker focusing on speed and power to bring down the opposing quarterback. Translating his stats into hockey would have some positive overlap. Zephyr has a high endurance stat which every hockey player needs. His strength is high so that will help him on the ice. He has a high speed stat which is probably the least useful of his good stats. Agility would probably translate to balance. Zephyrs agility is pretty average. Zephyr would be a defensive player making uses of his high stamina and limited offensive attributes. Zephyr has poor Hands stat which probably translates to like shots blocked/puck handling. Really he is just going to skate quickly and slam into someone. He might get into a few fights. He isn’t going to be a scorer or even good with the puck in any way. How a wolf would even hold a hockey stick still confuses me.
16/16

[Image: qm0v49d.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 09:05 PM by juke.)

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

verification: juke
Victor Helstrom

+3 TPE

Quote:3. Written, 3 TPE, Draft Kings (150 words min.)

It'll be a while before we know how our class of 53 will compare with all time draft classes, since we're still a season away from the beginning of regression, but in our 10 seasons in the league our draft class has come a long way. Strictly in terms of earning, we have 11 players updated past 2K TPE already, 4 more that will likely pass it within an update, and could possibly have up to 18 or 19 players hit it before regression. In terms of league impact, we have SHL GMs in mastersheep, reid, boom, and trella, and SMJHL GMs with nham, birdman, sve7en, boom, faelax, trella, eric, zomp, and myself. Additionally, we've had 4 department heads, and 2 Littleton winners. Lastly, many of the players in our class have had great success on the ice too. Along with some allstar and all-team winners, nham, lime, zombie, jeffie, faelax, teddy, eric, jtam, and jobin have all won cups with CHI, BUF, TEX, and HAM respectively, playing big roles in every cup run.     

174 words
+3 TPE

Quote:11a. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)

My vote for MVP this series would go to HAM goalie Jobin. He only let in 6 goals throughout the 4 game series, but it wasn't from a lack of shot attempts against, as he stopped 116 shots on 122 attempts for an absurd .951 in the series. Additionally, TEX came out very strong in game 1, outshooting HAM 46-28, but Jobin shut the door only allowing 1 goal, and setting the tone for the series. Mitchell van der Heijden would also make a strong case for MVP - his 3 goals and 3 assists led both teams in points, and he also led the HAM team in CF% while having twice as many GF/60 (5.27) as GA/60 (2.38) during the course of the 4 games.

127 words
+2 TPE

Quote:11b. Graphic, 3 TPE - The Procrastinator Special!

Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and you also like doing graphics instead of writing. That's cool, too! Create a Series Recap broadcast graphic - the contents can be whatever you want, but your graphic must list both teams and at least 3 stats for each.

Cumulative team stats (per game) during the cup finals

[Image: unknown.png]

+3 TPE

Quote:12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3119727

+3 TPE

Quote:15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (100 words min.)

Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC if you care about that more. Will there be surprises? Will any players make their country proud? Who's gonna suck? Be bold!

I suspect Canada will be very strong this IIHF, with the number 1 rated defensemen in TPE, and highest rated skaters overall. Great Britain is off to a hot start so far - boasting the highest rated forward group by TPE - but their 12th rated defensive unit has also stepped up impressively, and even have the least goals against so far this tournament. Back to back gold medalists Japan will always be a threat but have dropped in TPE ranks from previous IIHFs, down to 7th overall. Nordic neighbors Finland and Sweden both have top 5 skaters by TPE, and should make a close competition for 2nd in group B. I predict Canada will still take gold in the end, but my own homer prediction is that Finland will medal this season.

131 words
+2 TPE

[Image: smalinowski7.gif]
Sigs: Thanks JNH, Lime, Carpy, and ckroyal92 

1. verification word: peen

4. Well, I've not exactly done all that much in my career so far - after all, I've only been here for two seasons - but I do think there's some material to work with there. I think the movie's got to start with the start for my player's love for hockey - canonically it started when my player was just four years old and he saw a game in person for the first time, immediately becoming enamored with the sport and starting to play not long after. After that, a quick training montage of sorts showing his progression throughout the years, building up to the U18 World Championship, where he lead team Latvia to victory. After that, he gets a phone call saying something along the lines of "you know, I think you should sign up for the SMJHL draft, I think you could be a real star over in North America", decides to go with it. On draft day, he's a bit dissapointed to have been drafted lower than he expected to be, but he works his ass off in the J, has a decent season despite the team's dissapointing finish, and the movie ends with him being drafted 3OA by Montreal. Oh, and he's played by Ryan Reynolds, obviously. (yes, including the parts where he's four years old.)

6a. I think there's a very clear answer to this question, and it's one that you'll find if you just take a look at the regular season standings. Texas faced #16 San Francisco, then #5 Chicago, then #8 Edmonton. Hamilton, meanwhile, faced #12 Atlanta, #4 Buffalo, #3 Baltimore. In all 3 rounds leading up to the finals, Hamilton had a significantly higher ranked opponent than Texas did, so I would definitely say Hamilton had a harder path to the finals.

12.  Milestones

13. Honestly, I don't think this is too much of an issue. To explain why, let's take a look at the regular season standings for each of those 8 seasons - specifically, looking at high seeded teams who didn't make the finals.

S61 - #1 HAM v #2 TEX finals, other notable teams: #3 BAP, #6 TBB
S60 - #1 BUF v #4 CHI finals, other notable teams: #3 BAP, #6 TOR
S59 - #2 BUF v #3 TEX finals, other notable teams: #5 TOR, #6 CGY
S58 - #2 HAM v #5 BUF finals, other notable teams: #3 TOR, #5 CGY
S57 - #1 HAM v #2 CHI finals, other notable teams: #4 EDM, #5 CGY
S56 - #1 HAM v #5 BUF finals, other notable teams: #2 CGY, #4 MAN
S55 - #1 BUF v #4 NOLA finals, other notable teams: #2 EDM, #3 MAN, #6 CGY
S54 - #2 HAM v #5 NOLA finals, other notable teams: #4 LAP, #6 MAN

What this tells me is that, while these 5 teams have dominated the playoffs in the current era of the SHL, they have had quite a bit of competition from teams like Baltimore, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Manhattan. If a couple playoff series had gone the other way and those teams had made it just a bit further in the playoffs, would we even be talking about this? Eventually, these teams will fall off - it may take a little while longer, depending on the decisions that the GMs of these teams make, but no dynasty can last forever. It's certainly impressive how these teams have kept this up for so long, but their players are getting older and regressing with every season, and other teams are coming in with deeper prospect pools and brighter futures.

18. My pick is one that only just vanished off the face of the earth - dankoa. I mean, he was the guy that drafted me into the SHL, the Patriotes GM, he seemed super excited about the team's future, was a great guy to talk to, and then? He goes off to vacation and just... doesn't come back. Leaves the discord and everything. Luckily some people managed to get in contact with him and confirm that he is indeed alive and well, but I do still miss him. I really hope that he's ok, and I also really hope that he does at some point come back to the league.

[Image: kILVP74.png]    [Image: qtbn8zh.png]    [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: Monochroma_Sig_2_1.gif]
Patriotes Knights Latvia Knights Latvia Knights Patriotes
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 10:28 AM by CaptainCamel.)

Code:
Camel (3 TPE)

Code:

There is no way in hell I could actually fully get behind this change, but I do think it would be very fun (if that is the right word?) to see more "gamey" sims such as how we typically do the allstar stuff. As much as I love to shit on EA's NHL games, it'd be great to see an actual live sim of SHL to play this way. It would probably wind up making me hate the game even more than I already do, but it certainly would be more fun to watch an actual game sim opposed to just reading the quick play by play text that appears at the bottom of the screen. This could also be more fun if you edited some of the hit sliders to make it so huge open ice hits are more likely to happen. But of course this then risks the authenticity of the SHL as a true sim league when you get to making it too gamey. Like I said, I do not ACTUALLY want to see this happen for good, but it would be funny for a single game or so. (WC 192) (3 TPE)

Code:

A Paul Binder biopic would be the unsuspecting psychological hockey thriller no one ever knew they wanted, but it is sure to bring in the crowds to theaters worldwide. We start the story off with a young boy growing up in Austria who loves hockey. He gets drafted to the Anchorage Armada and he knows that he has made it in life. From here, he wins the Junior Cup his first season, and then goes on to make it to the finals the following three seasons. He then is called up to play in the SHL for the Atlanta Inferno. Life is good for Binder.... until he starts to get an itch in the back of his mind. He finds himself distancing from the locker room for reasons he can't explain. He has been having nightmares and wakes up in a cold sweat near nightly thinking about if this is even real or not. What IS the Simulation Hockey League? Simulation is in the name... what do these dreams of working a dead-end hell of an office job 9-5 mean? He needs to know the truth, and he will certainly find out... coming to theaters soon. (WC 196) (3 TPE)

Code:

Well this is the easily the most procrastinator I could have gotten, doing CW on the Sunday it's due, so I there is no way I am not doing it this season. While Theo Morgan did finish with one more point at 26 total, I have to say Mitchell van der Heijden is my personal MVP. 9 goals and 16 assists in 19 games played shows that this guy is an all out superstar. He knows how to put pucks in the net, and he knows how to pass when needed and ensuring that pass leads to a goal, not to mention finishing the playoffs off as a +15 is certainly an achievement in itself. (WC 115) (2 TPE)

Code:

Milestones (Claim 2) (2 TPE)

Code:

I can understand why some players may feel the need to express that they are unhappy with the powerhouses of the SHL constantly making the finals and leaving others out, but I mean this is somewhat mirroring real life. Yeah of course in real life there will be Cindarella stories of the underdog making it to the finals, which is less likely to happen in a simulation league, but really I think this just falls down to GMs and team staff making sure that their locker room is engaged in the league and doing what they can to make the team better. All teams (as far as I'm aware) have an equal opportunity to build a good team as anyone else, it really seems to be that it is just all about GMs really doing their homework on scouting to find who is going to be active and stay active for a long time. I will say, I'd like to see SOME sort of mechanic brought in that may make a hotshot superstar rookie make more of an impact in their first year of the NHL, something along the likes of how Auston Matthews or McDavid impacted their teams their rookie years. (WC 202) (3 TPE)

Total Claim: 16 TPE

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 11:03 AM by HanTheMan_.)

Code:

iced coffee

Code:

Code:

This is likely a site meme I don’t get because I am newer, but what I gather is Victor Helstrom is a Swedish defensemen from the S15 draft class. A steelhawk is exactly what it says, a steel hawk. Likely a flightless bird due to it being made of steel but sounds fuckin cool

Code:

My good friend Jason Desrouleaux was a delight to the Hamilton Steelhawks. He is now unfortunately retired, and was traded to the WInnipeg Aurora before that, but he was always so funny and an all around nice lad. We were in the same draft class, and were on the Vancouver Whalers together. My draft class buddy for sure.

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Zine
Create a magazine cover that highlights either a player in the finals or a standout player from the regular season.

[Image: cwS61.jpg]

Code:
9. Graphic, 3 TPE, Nashville moment
Design a Challenge Cup/Four Star Cup Championship banner for one of the teams in the finals, like those which appear on the side of the site.

[Image: banner.png]

Code:

My good friend and goalie to the Hamilton Steelhawks A Jobin will be getting my vote for series MVP. He is an absolute beast of a goalie and was so great in the finals with us. The dude is a smokeshow. Out of all the main active goalies, approx. 54 games played in the regular season, he let in the fewest goals at 123 and had the highest save percentage in this season's playoffs. He is basically a brick wall. On top of him being a great goalie, he is lovely in the locker room and you can always share a great conversation with him. Yay jobin! :D

Code:

Milestones +3 TPE

[Image: VGl3CB4.png]