Create Account

S61 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 05:10 PM by greencityny.)

Total +16 TPE

2. Written, 3 TPE, What if...? (150 words min.)

+3 TPE

Thinking back on SHL history and the newly minted career of Scott Thorn I'd love to go back and replay the S60 finals versus Quebec City. That was such a sneaky game and Kelowna had the upper hand but our team just ate way too much poutine on that trip to play at our best. If I could go back in time I'd tell the team to keep out of smokes poutinerie and keep their eyes on the prize. Scott Thorn is the most guilty out of everyone. He's such an enabler when the team is on the road. Trying to get the team out to party and losing focus. Coach had a word with him which should set him straight. For S61 we did much better but and even made it to the second round. If we had shown that focus back in S60 we'd be in a much better place. Anyway, onwards to S62.

3. Written, 3 TPE, Draft Kings (150 words min.)

+3 TPE

As an SHL newbie my recollection of SHL history is very limited. Although not the biggest impact for the league in general, S61 is start of my newly minted SHL career and the birth of Scott Thorn. Thorny has always been a mystical figure mostly living in the depths of the EA NHL franchise series. But S61 gave this mythical player a new form and a new life as a creative writer in the world of simulation hockey. This has had the biggest impact on my personal experience in the SHL. Thorny had to learn how to become proficient in the cutting edge forums of the interwebs and learn how to install this new fangled discord app. What a life changing experience this has been. Thorny has improved the lives of team members on Kelowna and Montreal and this can all be attributed back to S61 the birth of Thorny.

4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.)

+3 TPE

Let me pitch a Thorny idea to the fat cats in Hollywood. Terminator 5 where the main boss fight happens in a hockey rink somewhere in Kelowna. After Skynet has unleashed its most threatening creation the T-10,000,000 onto earth it tries to wreck havoc in western canada. Terminator has been severely injured but theres a young hockey player the smashes players into the board so hard with his stick that its been known to break bones. Scott Thorn steps out of the rink and fresh out of the gym to fight the new T robot and save humanity by using his super powered titanium hockey stick and smashing it back to the robotic lab where it was born. Thorny saves humanity, hockey checks a robot and goes on to win the cup with millions of fans supporting his rise to fame. This move will make millions of dollars and bring fame to Thorny!

11a. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)

+2 TPE

Incredible how Vancouver won the juniors S61 one this year. Considering it's little neighboring underdog Kelowna is just around the corner I was rooting for a less predictable victory. Lev Lebedev and Robot Sunfish would be my picks for MVP. Both these guys have more than 30 goals for the season. Lev Lebedev really did a number in the last game of the series as Vancouver crushes the Newfoundland Breserkers 4 to 1. Lev finished off with 16 points with Mikko Rashford not too far behind at 15 points. Lev is a strong left wing and finished of the season with a +/- of 75 leading the team.

12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

+3 TPE

Milestones claimed, +3

21. Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min

+2 TPE

I think you did a great job of getting creative with the point tasks. I always enjoy the end of season tasks because there is a lot of tasks to choose from. I like thinking of crazy possibilities for my character and attaching those to the point task. Like when the guy with the bottle offered a drink in the locker room. I had a lot of fun thinking about taking a sip from that drink. Diversity of tasks is good and I like being able to imagine my player in different scenarios. Its good that we don't have just a single task but not connect with that task.. theres usually an alternate.

PBE Affiliate +3

Pick a draft class in the SHL that you believe had the most impact on the SHL. It can be a consensus pick, like S36, 31, or 53, or an off-the-board one (S41?). Explain your reasoning to why this draft class impacted the league; Could be in a good way, or a bad way.

Jonny Tsunami does not know the SHL that well. He will concede that. Due to this, Jonny Tsunami looked at this in a different way. Jonny Tsunami believes that the S56 class can be one of the best classes of all time. There are a whopping 17 players that could potentially reach 2000 TPE by the end of their career before regression, so I would have to assume that a few of these players will pan out and be really good players. Jonny Tsunami does not know how players in their respective draft classes are doing, but I feel like the sheer number of players that could reach 2000 TPE is a milestone in itself and should be appreciated and I believe we could see multiple players having great careers coming from this draft class. S58 is another draft class that has 15 potential 2000 TPE players, including myself so I would like to see if we could attain that as a draft class. 

164 words

You've been contacted by a big film studio who wants to center the next big hockey movie around your career so far! All you need to do is supply a 150+ word explanation about what will be key scenes of moments or games in your career, the cast, and a general timeline of the film as it follows you from team to team, junior to pro. This one is open ended so how you approach it is up to you!

Jonny Tsunami is a made to movie character. He was literally already in a movie, but for this movie it will be even better. Jonny Tsunami went from a basketball star who won Defensive Player of the Year, but spiraled out of the league due to boredom, to a middling baseball player who currently players center field for the best team in the league, to one of the greatest fighters in MMA history, all while playing hockey in New England for a team that made the playoffs. Jonny Tsunami is a multi sport star and Jonny Tsunami didn't even mention that he was a world class surfer before all of this. Jonny Tsunami is a known sim league commodity now, and it is all because of his humble beginnings in basketball, where he eventually went on to a brash killer mentality as a submission artist in the MMA, a speed demon in baseball, and now a garbage collecting scorer in the hockey. Jonny Tsunami's key moments would include making the all-star team in baseball and not playing a single inning, losing in game 7 of the world series, winning and defending his multiple titles in MMA and scoring some goals in hockey. 

202 words

11a. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)

Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

Jonny Tsunami does not even know who is in the Stanley Cup Finals in the SHL. Is it even called the Stanley Cup Finals? I don't even know. Jonny Tsunami reflects back on the series he was in, in the first round and thinks he did pretty good in his first year as a New England Wolf Pack. Jonny Tsunami believes he and his team could do much better next season, but for the time being Jonny Tsunami likes how he played this season and believes that next season will be even better. As for MVP, I'm sure one of the goalies did really well and probably stood on their head a couple games to ensure a sweep or win in game 7, whatever actually happened. Jonny Tsunami only follows his New England Wolf Pack, so when they got eliminated he went straight to the beach to catch some waves. 

150 words

13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)

There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

Yes this is an issue. Jonny Tsunami is on the New England Wolf Pack and wants to be in the finals. He wonders if he has to join one of those 4 teams in order to make it to the finals or if he can stay with his team for life and make it there with the team that drafted him. Jonny Tsunami does not know if this can be fixed, because maybe some GMs are just way better than others? That could easily be the case. Some GMs may just know how to work the system to keep the best players on their team and when they regress be able to trade them off for the best players coming up without ever having to rebuild, but rather than just reload. Jonny Tsunami has no idea. Jonny Tsunami plays for the love of the game, but he would also like to make it to the finals, so if there is no parody, Jonny Tsunami would really have to re-evaluate his long term plans as a New England Wolf Pack, and see if he can make the finals with one of those four teams, if they are even interested in Jonny Tsunami. 

201 words

15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (100 words min.)

Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC if you care about that more. Will there be surprises? Will any players make their country proud? Who's gonna suck? Be bold!

Jonny Tsunami believes that Mother Russia will be a surprise in the IIHF tournament this season. Jonny Tsunami and the Russia team did not make the playoff rounds last season, but they did the two seasons before that. Jonny Tsunami believes that Mother Russia has a top tier GM, and believes that all of the core players are now out of the minors and have been uncapped, so they should be gunning for a Bronze medal, which would be so great for Mother Russia. This will be Jonny Tsunami's first season as an uncapped player and he hopes to support his team to victory. Jonny Tsunami is very excited for this IIHF tournament. 

113 words

[Image: TNUT2f6.png]
[Image: rL8frIL.png]
[Image: jOCBbVg.gif]
[Image: 6Hefllo.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 10:22 AM by canes2112.)

Code:

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
word + 3TPE
Victor Helstrom

Code:

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=119534

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
Milestones +3 TPE

Code:

Code:
There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

I think this is definitely an issue for long time users and new users alike. This would not be as big of a deal if seasons were shorter but 1 season is 2 months irl and it takes at least 5 seasons to become a competent SHL player. A stricter salary structure would help player movement and hopefully encourage FAs to look at fringe teams more. I don't really want to force player movement from teams the really like though for the sake of movement. Something the non finals GMs could do is stop bailing out these top teams with favorable trades. There's no reason after this off-season's drama that anyone should have made a trade to bail Hamilton out. I am a fan of 4th lines and think it could solve a lot of problems but to get my full thoughts I'd write an article for money instead. Need that sweet (low paying) media money.
+3 TPE
Code:

Code:
14. Written, 3 TPE, Upswing (150 words min.)
What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?

I am definitely biased but LAP is about to hit some important break points here shortly. Some older players but the bulk of the roster is approaching their prime and will be good for many seasons to come. Maybe next year is the season Tampa bay breaks through after many seasons of underperforming. I guess a playoff team is not considered rebuilding but I think Tampa is still poised to take the next step. LAP is especially exciting because I know the locker room environment is great and there are many players up and coming that will make an impact in the future. There were a couple of unexpected retirements but such is life. Those players are now happier and I wish them the best but the future will remain bright with the pieces in place. Jimmy Wagner also has like $300 million so maybe he'll just buy us nice things if we end up not good anyway.
+3 TPE
Code:

Code:
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC if you care about that more. Will there be surprises? Will any players make their country proud? Who's gonna suck? Be bold!

Great Britain will finally win it all. After several seasons of a gold draught and multiple silvers, this is the year that they pull through and beat the Swedens and Japans of the IIHF. Puny countries like Canada and the United States are no match for the greatest empire the world has ever seen. I don't even remember all the other teams but they are clearly inferior due to me not remembering them. That's the standard now. Coming in second will be Finland because Finland is pretty cool I guess. Bronze will be forfeited by a huge doping scandal from the US.
+2 TPE
Code:

Code:
21. Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min
It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and its stupid.

I enjoyed the PTs this season. Some were a bit out there but the change of pace was welcomed and I especially enjoyed reading about this mystical trench coat pill distributer that is somehow known to all of the SHL. Another great change was adding multiple PT prompts. Not liking one prompt and having to deal with it is not ideal but at least there are two to choose from so naturally one will be easier to write about than the other. Overall, keep up the good work. You seem creative enough to keep it interesting so just continue to keep everyone entertained and don't listen to those uncomfortable with change. 
+2 TPE

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/DYZ5jqO.jpg[/img]
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2021, 12:23 PM by CampinKiller.)

1. Victor Helstrom, pee
The draft class of S31 (my original class, in fact) has by far had the most impact on the SHL since its occurrence a little over 5 years ago. It was, to my knowledge, the first ever reddit draft class, and it began to reshape the SHL over a period of years into what it is today. The biggest change introduced by the S31 class was discord. Prior to that, teams mainly communicated with their locker rooms on the forums, in private forum areas, which everyone can still see now, but are a shell of their former self. I want to say that it was pris who made the S31 rookie discord, and discord started taking off from there, slowly but surely over the next few seasons beginning to replace the beloved forum locker rooms. This single change, I believe, is part of the reason that the SHL really took off after the S31 class in terms of player numbers and activity. That being said, I think the move away from the forums has brought some negatives, but the effect S31 and discord has had on SHL cannot be denied.
6. a.
Texas had the harder path to the finals, despite the two series sweeps, because even though they are one of the two "next best" teams below Buffalo and Hamilton, they are not the utter juggernaut that Hamilton is in the SHL world. While Texas did sweep those two teams, it could just have easily have been long, drawn out series for the Renegades.
b.
My Texas bias is probably showing, but completing the rebuild and standing as one of the true contenders for the Cup is more impressive. Especially considering that Hamilton has stayed on top as a result of incredibly team-friendly contracts, use of exploits (at times), and pushing the envelope as hard as they can, Texas getting that big rebuild done to challenge them is more impressive to me.
Series MVP for me would have to be Theo Morgan. He really led the offense for the Steelhawks over the course of the series (and the playoffs at large), racking up goals and assists as if they were going out of style. He even threw the body around some in the Finals on top of his offensive performance, making his presence truly felt during the series with Texas. The only negative of Morgan in the Finals were his turnovers, but in the end they did not come back to bite him and Hamilton as they swept Texas. He also did manage to make up for it by getting a few takeaways as well.
12. https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3117911
I think it that this could be fixed with adjustments to the cap and contracts. The entirety of both Buffalo's and Hamilton's lineups are, for the most part, players at or above around 1600 TPE. The fact that they can make lineups with players to that extent with the cap should not be happening. I believe the first step would be lowering the salary cap in the league. While this could also hurt other teams, it would cause teams like Hamilton and Buffalo to be unable to hoard that level of talent. Contract wise, I think there are two solutions to the issue. The first step is to either outright remove hometown discounts, or at least lower the number a team can have from 2 to 1. The second would be to either add more TPE tiers that require higher salary, or increase the minimum salary on the already existing TPE tiers. All of these would make it so teams could not simply hoard talent as they do now with these 1600+ TPE players on cheap contracts.

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

1) +3 TPE, hopefully
Victor Helstrom and my verification word is "900", like usual. Well, it's a number, but you know what I mean.

12) +3 TPE
Here we go.

18) +2 TPE
I'm assuming this means I'm not getting godlike powers to just bring someone back into activity, because honestly, the first thing I thought of was a resurrection. Since I think this would be perhaps not what you intended (and quite frankly, it would probably be pretty awkward), I'll go with someone I remember from my first run at the SHL - BDonini, I have no idea if you're reading this and honestly, I dunno how you're doing right now but I miss ya. And I hope you're doing well, wherever you are, whatever you're dealing with. I'd probably want our old leader back, aye. Fun person, good friend, definitively my pick to ask for a return - as long as they're fine, at least.

19) +3 TPE
Ever since waking up that morning, the Pillmaster was having a pretty rough time. He wasn't exactly sure where he was, the area around him looked pretty archaic, touches of Gothic building with Renaissance Era glass panels. Possibly a church, but he wasn't totally sure about it, the lack of imagery that would befit such a building made it uncertain. It also didn't help that there was plenty of high-tech apparel over there. The only face he could tell he knew of was Anton Harrier's, the Nevada player.

Harrier: So, do you get what I told you?
Pillmaster: N-Not entirely, friend.
Harrier: We know you've had an easy time getting into the league and you managed to pass on pills to plenty of people. So we're offering you a deal to not just out you to the authorities - we want you to make loads of pills using a formula we've created dozens of years ago to test if people have demon blood or not.
Pillmaster: T-That's non-sense, yes?
Harrier: Says the person with pills to make someone as popular as a K-Pop star.
Pillmaster: Fair, friend, no need to get aggressive...
Harrier: You've seen me aggressive, you remember what Kasumitsu and I did to that succubus.
Pillmaster: N-Not really, I left before I saw the fate of the horned miss.
Harrier: We sent her to... Brazil.
Pillmaster: Y-YOU GOT A DEAL!

20) +3 TPE
Harrier sighed as he looked at the television. He could see it clearly, the Manhattan Rage were the SHL champions, breaking domination from the likes of the Hamilton Steelhawks in a clean fashion. Sure, the team had to acquire pieces from abroad to do so, but he was in a mix of satisfaction and disappointment. He was happy that they were able to reach even bigger success than they expected with him as a member - he had to leave the sport prematurely to focus on a career of demon hunting - but the rowdy bunch they hired with the money they didn't blow on him (who had been nicknamed by the media as the Fishy Four, represented by the same agent that had once teamed up with Anton himself) just didn't fit his idea of quality.

First, there was the Dutch guy, Sunrise van de Schubbekuteveen (VHL). From what he could gather, the player was a Dutch noble but his family's lands were restricted to a village in Zeeland. He had married a Mexican girl that once taught him Spanish and his sister, Mooncalf, was best known as a D-Movie Queen. Skill-wise, the guy was mean, slick and packed quite a punch - he broke the jaws of three players during fights but he brought results.

Second, there was his favourite wrestler now turned hockey player, Sunny Day Holiday (Rink of Honor). Say what you will but the guy lived his gimmick pretty well: his media conferences often alluded to higher-ups of unknown nature, he still referred to himself as a native of Makai (which the media never humoured, saying he was just an American) and he wasn't above using the Mist to beat opponents to pucks. Funnily enough, he was very good in assists, so Harrier at least could tell they had that similarity.

Third, there was Marluxia Ritterdernacht (QSL, no link), a Swiss miss that... well, he was pretty sure of this, she's a witch. A pretty good witch as well, loved by fans and media, often dazzling on the ice as she apparently did on Quidditch. Legend has it that she was a seeker, according to some of his friends, but she had since gone into hockey for fun and it apparently suited her well.

Fourth and finally, they had a Center - Archembald Bernstein (WSBL). Heir to a rich aeronautical company from Germany and known for being a very cold individual but also very effective. Few people dared to mess with him - Alex Wright, he definitively wasn't. Still, that group was good enough for a title, it seemed. He was happy... but he still wished he was there.

21) +2 TPE
So, you want an honest opinion of your work on PT-dom? I mean, I'm not really known for being a particularly good judge on the quality of people's efforts as I'm too nice and all but sure, I think I can try it out. If it's an open floor to properly give some sort of reply, I think the option of writing a more normal PT via different prompts helped things - mostly because some of your more out-there stuff kinda push towards the territory of the awkward and whatnot. I'm fine with anything because I'm already used to writing weird things and dealing with colourful characters (comes with the territory of being Brazilian, I guess) but I could see this being an issue with others.

Still, note that this isn't some sort of criticism, it's mostly acknowledging a situation that has been pretty much solved as is. So keep at it, I guess. I appreciate the weird stuff if it helps.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

1. Trivia
Verification word: Flappity
+2-3 TPE

3. Draft Kings
After just a brief skim through the TPE class trackers, I must say the class of S53. Yes, they are currently at their peak, but GEEZ. How many 2000+ TPE players can one class have? Not only that, you look at the bank balances of each user and it will blow you away. Not only is this class strong on the ice, but each user plays an integral role to the function of this site and community. As the prompt stated, this is a consensus pick, and I'm not about to argue with the hive mind. Now, I will argue that in a few seasons, my class, S60, will rival some of the great classes. There is a possibility as many as 15 players reach 2000 TPE from that class, depending if they stay active. Many are already at 700 after 3 seasons. I do wish we had a database of some kind that tracked total player progression over time so I can actually see how good those S31 (or even S3) players were. 
+3 TPE

4. Biopic
The biopic around Marcel Beck will be similar to "The Last Dance." It will follow Beck and his teammate Daniel Merica Jr. and their last rodeo in St. Louis before joining the big leagues. For both, it is their last chance to grab a Four-Star Cup. For Beck and user, it is particularly important because he already nabbed a WJC gold, so a juniors cup in the next hardware in he quest for all four trophies. Unfortunately for these players and in opposition to the MJ years of Chicago, St. Louis is not the greatest team. They underperformed in the past few years and are set to lose a lot of players right now, further diminishing the skill on their team. It will take a wave of leadership and sim testing to overcome some of the opposing teams in the SMJHL. But there is hope. The biopic will hopefully end with a shot of Beck hoisting a cup. 
+3 TPE

6. Grab Bag
a. IMO, Hamilton had a harder path. Atlanta, Buffalo, and Baltimore are collectively harder than San Fran, Chicago, and Edmonton. I think I had Baltimore winning it all this year. The key are those second matchups: the previous Great Lakes opponents. Buffalo is better than Chicago. Texas doesn't make it to the Final is they play Hamilton's bracket. 
b. For sure, FOR SURE, staying at the top. It is the natural cycle of things to get good, decline, then rebuild. For Hamilton to stay good as long as they did is absolutely amazing. And with each passing year it becomes even more amazing. I tip my hat to the GMing skills because you have to be able to find the right pieces and place them exactly where they fit to make it all work. OR, the GM system is that good. 
d. Can it be anyone other than Aaron Wilson? Puts up regular season points like a god, puts up playoff points almost as well, and delivers his team to cups. There is nothing more to ask of this player. He is simply the best, not only between these two teams, but in the entire SHL. Goals and assists is the name of the game. 
+3 TPE

11a. Procrastinator Special
Congrats, Hamilton. You are the best. Contrary to what I stated in the grab bag portion of CW, Aaron Wilson is NOT the MVP for this playoff season. While he had an amazing run, that honor goes to A Jobin. Five shutouts? 1.51 GAA? A 16-2-1 record?? That is absolutely amazing and a major, major reason Hamilton just won a cup. Elizabeth Doyle had sustained success over the past few seasons, but even she never came close to stats and a record this good. And truly, an MVP award should go to someone the team cannot go without. Without this goalie, Hamilton may have lost many more games. 
+2 TPE

12. Milestones
Link
+3 TPE

16/16

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 09:43 AM by Bfine.)

1. Victor Helstrom +3

2. The Butterfly Effect moment I’m going to write about is if I wasn’t drafted to Edmonton at 16 in the S59 Draft. There were a few teams that were interested, and ultimately, I ended up on the Blizzard. It turned out great, as I love the team, love the players, and even got the chance to become Co-GM before my player was even called up. However, what if Edmonton decided to pick someone else instead of me? Well I would’ve gone 18th to Chicago. Being on the Syndicate honestly would’ve been great as well. It’s essentially Newfoundland 2.0, and considering how much I love the Zerks I don’t see an issue with being there at all. It is harder to make the team due to how good Chicago is and how high their TPE is, but considering I’m max earning I don’t think it’d be an issue. However, as good of a desination as Chicago would have been, I am still very glad I ended up on the Blizzard. (169 Words)

12. Milestones +3

15. As Federation Head, I would love to say that Japan is going to threepeat gold medals and continue their rain of dominance over the IIHF. However, Aaron Wilson is the new Federation Head of Canada, and considering he’s getting a better team to work with than what he’s done with the Steelhawks, Canada is probably going to win the next 10 gold medals. They took a few seasons off, but the Leaf is back. I still think Japan is capable of a bronze or silver medal however, as our team is very deep at forward and defense, enough to make up for our lower TPE goalies. (106 Words)

18. If I’m bringing anyone back to the SHL, now that McZherl is back, my choice is for sure Gorlab. I’ve heard so many rumors and so many stories about him, and while I would never want to be on a team with him, I absolutely want to see what he would bring in his return to the SHL, mainly in the form of drama. He was banned a long time before I joined the league, and while I know I will never get to see the man who’s name is Balrog backwards grace the league with his presence, I just want him unbanned for like a season to see how it goes (112 Words)

20. My ISFL player is Dallas Fort-Worth, an offensive lineman for the Kansas City Coyotes. If I brought him over to the SHL, he would probably have to play a goalie, as he isn’t very fast and you don’t see too many 6’6 300 pound players in hockey. In regards to his player page, he would have to have 20 in blocker, as blocking is all he truly knows how to do. He would also have decent stats in recovery, goalie stamina, mental toughness, reflexes and positioning. His poke check, passing, glove, puckhandling, and skating would all be close to 5, and there is no way his low shots would ever go above 5, because asking a guy that big to get low on ice skates and then get back up is an impossible task. So looking at those stats, he would not be a good goalie. He could get everything within range, but his inability to play the puck and lack of ability on skates would make him a terrible goalie. (171 Words)

+16 TPE overall

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer.

Verification word: Chesterfield

If I could change one moment in the SHL history it would be the switch to FHM. Now, I admit I’m not a simmer or terribly tech savvy so I understand that my opinion on this matter is only from a lowly players view point so grain of salt please. The SHL stopped being fun for just players when the switch was made. There is no randomness anymore and that was half the fun of Simon T. A random player could have a killer season and so could a team. Goalie’s would have a random stand-on-their head season and a not spectacular team could go on a playoff tear. But now it’s so methodical. The players with the highest TPE on the teams with best roster will win every time. And that’s great for them, don’t get me wrong but the site has become a manager-driven league with FHM and players are all but obsolete. Doesn’t mean I don’t care anymore, it’s still fun with what it is, but it used to be better.

A biopic is being made about Sekai Wollker and what a story so far! Well, not really but Wollker’s climb from a lowly volcano farmer to the SHL potential greatness is the rags to riches story that Hollywood loves to tell. Growing up on his Uncles Volcano farm in Iceland, Sekai was never expected to be anything but another generation of farmer with scalded fingers and not much to show for a hard day’s work. A federal hockey scout happened upon him one day slapping shots into the side of a cliff and suspected there was more to the young Icelander than met the eye. Sekai went with the old man to a bigger city and from the moment he laced up his first pair of real skates, the Kid was destined for greatness. His journey to North America was long and arduous but now as he embarks on the dream he had from a young age and play in the SHL... Sekai will get his happy ending.

I like to think the team currently outside looking in is the Minnesota Monarchs. Is that because it’s the team I’m going to play for and I’m slightly biased? Yes is the answer. Minnesota has not been a force for many seasons but they have never really gone full rebuild either. It would be nice to see all my hard work in player development would pay off for a team that’s fun to be on and has the potential in a few seasons to be super. With the intention of staying my entire career on the Monarchs Roster it would be so much fun to see the team achieve greatness. I suppose one always wants this for the team they support but to have it happen within a career that is anticipated to be great, a more worthy team could not be rooted for in my opinion. Making the playoffs is a good start and once they establish their worthiness, advancing through the playoffs to the final is the ultimate goal.

Next year we talk Latvia but this year we talk Team UCORCAL because that is the team I am on. So far we are doling so much better than last year but so many of our players are now at the 425 TPE cap the improvement in the standings was inevitable. A few players are super studs and a few are younglings but together, the team is looking good. As my final year in juniors I would love to take some colour of medal home but that remains up to fate and the hockey gods. One last chance at junior glory, even to make it past the round robin would be an achievement.

18. Written, 2 TPE, Baby come back 100 words min

A player that has left the site that I miss terribly and would love it they would com back is McZehrl. This guy just has the ability to make me laugh and scowl at the same time ans his attempts to troll are lacking sorely from this modern day and age. No one even talks about balls obsessively anymore and I wonder if people even know balls? Without them being brought up every ten minutes or so, what is going on with balls. Does anyone even know? Have people travelled from the far reaches of the kingdom to figure this out? Oh... he’s back. Never mind then.

[Image: wLeEjGc.jpeg]

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 11:30 AM by Urq660.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Sausage
Victor Helstrom

Code:

Pick a moment in SHL history to change. It could be something large, an expansion draft, sim engine change, or something smaller, like a trade or team punishment. Change something about this moment in the SHL and explain the impact the difference would make in how the league developed since that moment. (think Butterfly Effect)

So, this might be a bit more personal than you’d expect, so the effects might not be as wide ranging as others, it might be a bit more of just my own area! So anyway, I can into the league in S57, as a UDFA. I think St Louis had played 6 regular season games before I joined. Our first season was rough, but fun and the playoff win was an amazing experience in the Discord LR! During my second season, some irl stuff came up, and I ended up sucking out of the league for a bit. I returned during the following season, reintegrated into the LR, but had missed a chunk of TPE earning. If I hadn’t gone IA, would I have had a better rookie SHL season? Would I have got that elusive A on my jersey with St Louis? Would I have earned myself a multi-year contract? I understand the reasons these things haven’t happened and it all leads back to that point!

Code:

Code:
You've been contacted by a big film studio who wants to center the next big hockey movie around your career so far! All you need to do is supply a 150+ word explanation about what will be key scenes of moments or games in your career, the cast, and a general timeline of the film as it follows you from team to team, junior to pro. This one is open ended so how you approach it is up to you!

Daryl Urquhart’s biopic would have to start in the scenic Scottish highlands. In the spirit of Hollywood ridiculousness, we could waste money travelling round the world to New Zealand to shoot similar landscapes! The start would be the introduction to hockey etc, before the story really starts to pick up in St Louis. We would have the hard-nosed GM I have to prove wrong, which is obviously the complete opposite of what I had, but creating conflict, ya know! My St Louis hero, Colin Lambert, would be played by some beefcake actor, making me look bad, we’d have to find someone ancient to play Hundertwasser, as the real one is dead.

The big set piece for the first part of the movie would be the rookie season playoff win v Kelowna. Just a dire season, a poor start to the playoffs followed by picking up a couple of games, leading to a game 7 crescendo, as we go through. Obviously let’s not concentrate on the following round where we got swept… then the elation of being drafted by Seattle, a lot higher than expected! And we could fade out on me holding up the Seattle jersey, beaming smile, no idea what’s coming!

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestones  - 1 TPE

Code:

Code:
What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?

I think Seattle are in an interesting place at the moment. As a franchise, they thought they were on the way to challenging for the Cup. They had invested in one of the leagues top players in free agency, in Michael Scarn, to link up with the likes of Bo Kane and Vaseline Podcalzone. Unfortunately, as the trade deadline approached, they realised that they would be lucky to even scrape into the playoffs, never mind challenge for the Cup. They ended up trading off some big players in order to start the process of resetting. That continued in the start of this season, as they called up a pair of rookie defensemen. They linked up with sophomore blueliner RESO. They also traded away franchise and league legend Gabe Johnson, in a 3-way trade with Edmonton and Winnipeg, which saw Pojo Biscuit move to Seattle. They are very much in a growth phase, as they have 2 more veterans retiring, with 1 prospect moving up, Regina’s first captain Daud Ramza. Seattle are in a partial rebuild and look like in the next few seasons they could make a real challenge for the Cup, without breaking the bank.

Code:
19. Written, 3 TPE, Pills 150 words min
Love it or hate it, that Pill PT (PT 2) was wild and may I say, genius. You've partnered up with the weird trench coat pill guy to design your own pills, with powers and drawbacks to sell to your fellow SHLers! How do you go about this, do you make really good pills to help your team? Trick Hamilton into taking some really shitty pills with the promise of incredible powers? Or do what I did and make a bunch of insane pills and watch the league go absolutely crazy trying to make sense of what the fuck I'm even talking about? Or just make a bunch of jelly beans?

When I think about creating pills, my concerns about drug testing protocols makes me think that I should maybe not make performance enhancing ones for my own team, I need to concentrate on pills to disable other teams players. Not permanently, or painfully or anything, more in embarrassing ways. I like the idea of the pill from the task that ‘speeds up the digestive system’, so something like that is a must! Maybe one that affects the other side, and makes it spray wildly like an out of control fire hose? That’d be pretty disgusting, and distracting for the player, who won’t want to urinate until they’re alone. Also, I don’t really have to create this one, just buy some, I get plenty emails offering them, you know, the blue ones? If the players are too, um, excited, then they won’t want to stand up from the bench! Now, the only question is the delivery method? Obviously, mixing them into the teams Gatorade is an obvious one. Slipping them into foodstuffs may be easier for some players than others. Scottish players, for example, you can hide it in their haggis. I mean, you’re not going to notice in among that mess!

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

1 - Trivia - 3tpe
Hictor Velstrom

2 - What if... 3tpe

This is a pretty simple one for me. Back in the early S20s, as general manager of the Seattle Riot, I put together arguably the deepest SHL roster in league history, up to that point. Back in the days when 1000 TPE actually meant something, we had four 1000 TPE centers. We had rolling lines, 25% ice time a game. We dominated the regular season, and my player, the team's goalie Dustin Rose, was one of the top netminders in the league. And then we lost a game 7 in the conference finals, a game that we controlled from start to finish. Rose let in 4 goals on 16 shots, and I retired him. If Rose had a bit more sim luck, I would have kept him around, possibly leading to multiple championships for the Riot, and perhaps the team would still be around today.

4 - Biopic 3tpe

As an SHL rookie, I don't think I've had a terribly exciting life to make a film about. He went later in both the Junior and SHL drafts than he expected, then played in the juniors for a few seasons, was traded to Carolina to make a push for the championship and ultimately fell short. He made the Dragons roster as part of their rebuild on the fly strategy and had a quiet, but largely successful season as a bottom pair anchor. Perhaps the most interesting thing, and the central point of conflict, would be the weird man with the jellybeans who keeps approaching Eero Makela, trying to coerce the young Finnish blueliner into eating a bean. When he showed up in Makela's bedroom and Eero had to forcibly remove him from the premises might be a good scene to include. With some revisionist history, at least, because Eero's massive e-peen might give the film a harder rating [pun intended] than it deserves.

12 - Milestones: 1 tpe
Defense
Giveaways - 26 or fewer

19 - Pills - 3tpe

Yo, I don't know what's up with the pill dude, but he's one insistent mother ****er. Showing up in my apartment, telling me I can know the future, telling me that all this can be mine if the price is right. Dude's out of his damn mind. But he did say something intriguing: I can partner up with him and design my own pills! How I get people to take them? He suggests dressing up in a trench coat and waggling my wang around, but that don't sit right with me, homey. I do shit my own way. I'll put on a suit, custom fit, and some well-polished kicks. Y'all will be begging me for the pills.

What's in 'em, you ask? Well, that's the best part. Lemme tell you. Every time you take a pill, a new color gets added to your personal spectrum in the rainbow, if you catch my meaning, and at the bottom of the rainbow is your very own pot of gold. That's right, brotha! You catch that pot of gold, and you can make a wish.

Of course, y'all would wish for more pills.

21 - criticism - 2tpe

Honestly, I don't have anything bad to say about the PTs [other than championship week in general]. The prompts aren't always the most interesting to me, but I'm also not the target audience for this league, and I generally have something I can bullshit my way through to get to the word count. I try to entertain myself, more than anything.

I do want to talk about championship week, though. There are 21 goddamn tasks here. There's graphics, there's writing, there's trivia, there's a crazy pill man. One of the things that drove me away from this league in the first place was TPE inflation [see my above entry about 1000 TPE players]. Now we're going on and on about the most random stuff, just to give people enough options to do all of CW. Why not just have Milestones, two written, two graphics, and a trivia, and give them more weight? Pick one written task, get the trivia right, and have a decent enough season to hit milestones, and get your TPE? If it's going to be super inflated anyway, might as well simplify it.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 02:16 PM by roastpuff.)

Code:
cwgogogo

Code:
Pick a draft class in the SHL that you believe had the most impact on the SHL. It can be a consensus pick, like S36, 31, or 53, or an off-the-board one (S41?). Explain your reasoning to why this draft class impacted the league; Could be in a good way, or a bad way.
As I am part of the S53 class I clearly have no bias in saying that the S53 class have had the most impact and will continue to impact the league in a big and meaningful manner. The amount of drive and innovation that this class has imparted on the league is not to be minimized – a good 2/3rd of the S53 class is involved in the league by jobs, GMing, media creation and other site-supporting jobs, and has driven the creation of a few innovations for the league such as the Event Team, a regular Twitch videocast, and the modernization of IIHF. Currently the class is aiming for the record of most users to surpass the 2000 TPE barrier and I believe that the class will achieve that goal in the near future. The vocal nature of the class is also something that I believe will be a difference in terms of the impact made, as members of the S53 cohort aren’t shy to speak up for what they perceive to be injustices or problems with the league.

179 words

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion?
Hamilton had the harder path to the finals as the east teams are generally stronger than the western conference teams. Edmonton wasn’t even supposed to be there, as they were in a rebuilding year. The fact that Hamilton had to face Buffalo and Baltimore, two incredibly strong teams that would have also beaten Texas in my opinion, was already enough to cement the win in my eyes.

67 words

Code:

Milestone Claim 3 TPE

Code:

Yes, this is a huge issue – it becomes boring and stale when it’s the same teams winning over and over again. There can be something said about drafting well and creating dynasties, but FHM dominance by Hamilton (I think they’ve had as many cup wins as all the other teams combined in the FHM era) also means that there is a second component to winning besides just having a great group of players. I think the fix to this would be to ban testing – and that won’t be able to be done until the league moves to FHM 7 or 8 which fixes the so-called “security” system of the game. What an absolute joke by the developers to allow the editing of human managers so simply and so stupidly. Until then all we can hope for is for the rolls in the game to not favor Hamilton and make it so that other teams can have a chance at winning the cup.

162 words
Code:
I think that Tampa and Baltimore both have a good chance at breaking into the finals depending on the continued growth of their players. Baltimore is a season or two advanced over Tampa, but Tampa has made some huge trades in the recent seasons to jump-start their progress by a large margin with acquiring a #1 d-man and top-tier elite goalie. The problem will be the Hamilton conundrum – as eastern conference teams they have to get past Hamilton to get into the finals and that will be a tricky task indeed as the simming prowess of the Hamilton head office means that they hold the edge on any series. The lure of a winning team also means that they will not be short of good players or free agents who wish to win no matter what, and the true finals will be in the Eastern Conference finals rather than the actual SHL finals itself, which is quite sad.

158 words

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Verification word: ballz

Quote:2. Written, 3 TPE, What if...? (150 words min.)

Pick a moment in SHL history to change. It could be something large, an expansion draft, sim engine change, or something smaller, like a trade or team punishment. Change something about this moment in the SHL and explain the impact the difference would make in how the league developed since that moment. (think Butterfly Effect)
My what if centers around the teardown, tanking, and eventual GM firing of the Tampa Bay Barracuda. Leading up to S53, Tampa was tearing it down, going for a full tank. They traded young studs Matt Kholin, Gunnar Sodderburg, and more, including their starting goalie, Benjamin Blue. Basically anything that wasn't bolted to the floor. They then proceeded to go 0-50, the worst ever record in any era of the SHL. This lead to a long losing streak, but filled with a ridiculous number of high picks, good prospects, and a return to form recently. the "What if" part of this is what if MCP didn't tear it down and strip the team? Tampa might have been stuck in the middle, trying to contend with Kholin and Sodderburg, but never really becoming a contender, before Kholin and Gunnar walked in FA. This can be seen in WPG as a recent example. TBB would never have had the draft capital to select top names such as Dwight Knight, Colin Lambert, Luc Blouin, and many more. I think most damaging, is that TBB wouldn't have the excess in capital to convert that into future picks, to keep the pick machine rolling, as well as the capital to make mega moves like trading 3 first round picks for Magnus Liljestrom or Strom Chamberlain - two key parts of their recent success. [227 words]

Quote:3. Written, 3 TPE, Draft Kings (150 words min.)

S53 baby. I am only a little biased, but I truly believe that it is the most impactful off the ice in recent memory, possibly since the fabled S43. Not only was it a reddit draft, but it came with a ton of really engaged users. Juke, Nhamlet, sve7en, roastpuff, rangerjase, boom, faelax, patty, Sheep, birdman and myself are all first gens that got into some sort of management - be it team, HO, heads of departments, or otherwise - some of us in the multiples. Not to mention other active users such as Teddy, Fred, Jeffie, lime, and suave. This class also had some standout recreates such as trella and ML - both longtime GMs. Out of this group came SHN, as well as some of the most impressive bank balances on the site. This group is filled with passion, and no doubt makes up a significant portion of the best part of the league. On the ice, we are just stepping into our prime, having breakout seasons, but off the ice we have had a massive impact on the SHL already. Plus in the J, we had a legendary bust of a 1OA with Chris Cerullo, so that was pretty defining as well. [202 words]

Quote:12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

Milestones +3

Quote:18. Written, 2 TPE, Baby come back 100 words min

If you had the power to bring back one user to the SHL, who would it be? We're talking full activity, balls to the wall. They could be a banned user, user gone inactive, or someone who's around but doesn't really fuck with SHL anymore. Pick your user and why you want them back that badly? Did you love them, or do you just want to watch the league burn?
@juke baby I miss you :( I can't think of many users who had such a significant impact on the quality of the SHL than Juke. He touched so many areas of the site, including a lot that people didn't see. Most significantly he built scripts to help run key analytics, as well as auditing. He was a powerhouse in media, probably producing the highest quality I have seen, and probably will see. Beyond that he is an absolute gem to talk to, and I fucking hate the way he was driven off site. For someone who didn't really do anything wrong - we all want to play with our friends - Juke should never have been villain for a day. He isn't fully gone yet, but I would hate to see it eventually go that way, as I know this drained his passion for the league. We didn't deserve juke, and its sad to see him slip away a little Undecided [158 words]

Quote:21. Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min

It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and its stupid.

Honestly slash, I think you have been doing a bang up job so far. I wasn't exactly skeptical, given your record of activity and always being around, but I have been more than happy with the quality of your prompts. I know you caught a lot of heat for some of them being out there, but I have enjoyed them for the most part. I think you have absolutely taken it to another level with the dual PT prompts, as I genuinely want to write about both most times, but it allows me to go boring if the creative one isn't up to snuff. Lastly, I think this CW is really well done, I love the past present future beyond format, and 21 prompts is bitchin. [126 words]

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]

Code:

Based

Code:

I think the biggest what if is what if the original member number 1 didn't comeback to save the league. Early on in the move to jcink, a member through a fit and chose to ban everyone and basically shut down the league. The owners of the league had to reach out to the original first member of the league who had super admin privileges and had to get him back to fix things. Imagine if this hadn't had happened. Would we have moved to a new site? Would people know? Would the SHL still be around today or would the lack of members kill it? I truly believe that it would have been hard to get the members back because we didn't have their emails and people were either posting on the forums or some people used chatzy. It would be different today because of the cross pollenation with discords that would make this easier to be fixed, but back then I think this would have killed the SHL. (170)

Code:

I am not well versed in the 40 or so drafts that occurred during my time away from the league so I will focus on the one that is near and dear to my heart which is the first ever draft we had. This is a monumental draft and really set the tone for the first great crop of guys to come out of the league. You have Ryan Jesster, the number 1 goalie who won two cups, a playoff MVP and ranks in the top 5 for accomplished players. You have 3 time cup winner and one of the best PPG players in Sergei Karpotsov, as well as Ron Mexico, a guy who was taken outside the top 30 of the draft and went on to win a cup and take home 4 league MVPS and 3 MVPs as voted on by the players. An extremely deep draft with the men and women who helped to set the tone for the league as a whole. (166)

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion?
b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness?
c. What is a renegade? What is a steelhawk? Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?
d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.

A. Both teams had very nice rides to the finals on paper but as we always know, it is never easy to make it to the dance. I will say I think Hamilton had a harder road because they play in the hardest division in hockey and to make it out of that and not have to see 7 games in a playoff series, is admirable. (65)

B. I think it is actually harder to rebuild. Players gravitate to the Stampede and Steelhawks of the world because they are being brought into a desirable situation. Being able to draft and trade well while keeping players interested and on the team, is the tougher feat. Hats off to Texas for doing just that and making it to the finals (60)

C. A Renegade is someone who blazes their own path and commits to that path until they find victory. A Steelhawk is a bird that waits to prey on the weak and take advantage when the time is right. I believe these are both apropos for the way the teams have been designed and the results that both teams have seen. No idea what a Victor Helstrom is but seems like a none of the above type of guy. (78)

D. I think the best player for the Hawks has to be Phelps. He is the all-time leader in points for the team with a decent margin ahead of the number 2 best Joe Mckeil. I think what separates Phelps from McKeil is the fact that Phelps has been with the Hawks for 4 Challenge Cup Titles, which is a feat not many athletes can claim to have done. (68)

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3118060

Claim 2

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE, Baby come back 100 words min
If you had the power to bring back one user to the SHL, who would it be? We're talking full activity, balls to the wall. They could be a banned user, user gone inactive, or someone who's around but doesn't really fuck with SHL anymore. Pick your user and why you want them back that badly? Did you love them, or do you just want to watch the league burn?

I am a big fan of people who have strong personalities and believe what they believe in (whether or not I agree). For this reason I would like to bring Maxy back to the league. Maxy was a big personality who definitely rubbed people the wrong way but wasn't above looking at things, hearing people out and making assessments based on those conversations. He was a fun person to have on the forums and brought a lot of good banter. He has a wife and two kids and I don't see him coming back to a full time basis, but if he did I am sure it would liven up the dead forums we currently have on this site. (119)

Total 17 TPE (just incase i get a trivia Q wrong lol)

[Image: aOowRDF.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 11:45 PM by StadiumGambler.)

Code:

Verification word: Helstromlol

~~~

Code:
[i]2. Written, 3 TPE, What if...? (150 words min.)
Pick a moment in SHL history to change. It could be something large, an expansion draft, sim engine change, or something smaller, like a trade or team punishment. Change something about this moment in the SHL and explain the impact the difference would make in how the league developed since that moment. (think Butterfly Effect)[/i]

I would change me not getting hired as Winnipeg GM, as my tenure there was a bit of a nightmare that set the team back significantly. That being said, it's hard to determine what would change. Making different moves would not have improved the team, and may not have changed the fact that Simon T screwed the Jets in Season 50. So even making smarter moves would result in at least the one playoff miss. Plus, theres no telling if the new GM would be able to avoid making some of the trades I made.

Then theres the fact that the new GM would have to be ready to handle the inevitable change to FHM, which I would not have been ready for either way. Some teams just felt like they adapted quickly, so maybe Winnipeg would still be in perpetual limbo. I'd like to think that maybe the drafting would've been slightly better though, and the team would've been set up with more young pieces going forward. Perhaps we would be in a similar position to Tampa Bay.

~~~

Code:

Season 46 is a big time draft class for the site, giving GMs such as goldenglutes, Fuzz, and katth their big breaks in sim sports, and also producing some top talent in the 2000+ TPE club such as Monkey D. Luffy and Nick Brain. I think it is safe to say that Season 46 produced the most SHL talent, even if there was a huge variance, and there were some late round steals like Commander Shepard who made an impact that wouldn't exist in some other draft classes, where anything past pick 50 generally doesn't make it.

Season 47 is also a very impactful draft class to the future of the SHL, due to aaronwilson and SDCore breaking into the league through this class. Both users made big changes in the league, not to mention the users behind Eko van Otter and Noah Gallagher going on to become GMs, among others.

~~~

Code:
b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness?
c. What is a renegade? What is a steelhawk? Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?
d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.

a) Hamilton had the harder path. Texas had an easy first series against San Fran, and while Chicago is tough, Edmonton is a team sorta in limbo at the moment, and lacked the real quality to press Texas. Hamilton had a slightly tougher opening round tilt versus New England, then tough sets against Buffalo and Baltimore that they pulled off with style. Overall I'm inclined to say Hamilton had it tougher.
b) Texas was more impressive, because Hamilton has the advantage in terms of being a destination for veteran role players to win a ring easy, due to their winning culture and smart back room. Texas had to build going into FHM, while still learning the sim, and they managed to get it together enough to win a Cup and make it to this one.

~~~

Code:

My prediction for IIHF is that it will be consistently unpredictable. The normal empires of Canada, Great Britain, and United States are reeling from changes within their roster and a lack of sim luck. Japan and Sweden I could see doing well, but it seems nations that get nay sayed like Norway and Latvia are picking things up.

I suspect that whoever does well won't be a huge surprise though. Every country has a talismanic 1900+TPE star I'd assume. The likes of Bobby Lane, Michael Fitted, and Esa Parmborg should do well. My boy Nick Brain is off to a fast start with a hat trick in his first game, hopefully he keeps it up.

~~~

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3118587

~~~

Affiliate claim in case I bricked trivia: https://forums.sim-football.com/showthre...#pid527012

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 09:47 PM by goilers.)

Affiliation - 3 TPE
PBE PT

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Trivia Verification word: Cooper
Victor Helstrom

6. 3 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your I opinion?
I think the Hamilton Steelhawks had the harder path to the finals, having to beat three teams including the reigning champions the Buffalo Stampede. I think they had a more difficult path because they had to play more games than Texas as well. Texas also played well but being able to sweep two teams seems easier to me.
58 Words
I think easily the more impressive achievement is staying on top for a decade. To be one of the better teams for 10 seasons is hard to come by. It shows the team has amazing general managers because in order to keep being a good team you need to keep your players active & make the difficult calls to make risky trades & smart moves in order to keep your team on top.
73 Words
Honestly I've never thought of this before & now I'm confused. So after a google search, a renegade is a person of betrays their organization & leaves. A steelhawk is a bird made out of steel. Victor Helstrom sounds like a Swedish last name so I'm thinking a player from Sweden or something like that.
55 Words

11a.2 TPE  Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.
The SHL playoffs were a quick one with Hamilton Steelhawks sweeping Texas. I am pretty happy about that because I had them winning in my playoffs predictions. I think they had a hard road in the playoffs & were able to come out on top & make it to the finals. I think the most valuable player for the playoff series is none other than Theo Morgan. He played incredibly throughout the regular season & which continued throughout playoffs & I think he is a big reason why they were able to pull out the wins & eventually taking home the championship hardware.
103 Words

12. 3 TPE Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
Milestones

21. 2 TPE Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min
It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and it's stupid.
I've only been doing PTs for a couple of seasons now but I've never had a problem with any of them & have actually really enjoyed them. I was PT head in PBE & many seasons ago in the SHL & I understand how hard it is to please everyone. No matter what you do there will always be someone who is not happy. Keep up the great work & continue doing what you're doing because it's working. I also love how there are now two prompts so even if someone isn't enjoying it they have a choice & can write about whatever.
103 Words

16 TPE

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]