Create Account

S61 Championship Week

Task 1

Verification

Task 4

I think having a movie about my career would be incredible, and I think showing some of the work that went in to joining the SHL, like having to work to get noticed, running in to some paperwork issues which made me late to the SMJHL and had to join after the draft, to finally highlighting the success I have had in the SHL today.

Some key moments would have to be winning the Four Star Cup with the Whalers in Season 48, winning WJC Gold with Canada and being named player of the tournament, joining the quad gold club, tying the SHL record for the number of Jay MacDonald trophies won, breaking both the 50 game and 66 game SHL records for goals in a season, being the first SHL player ever to have 100 or more points in a season, Challenge Cup wins, and I’m sure there would be some more in there. There are plenty of career highlights that would make for a good movie about my playing career so far.

Task 6

a. I think both teams had very similar paths to the finals, having to face the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams in their respective conferences. I think Texas going to 7 games was a very tough series, but I think Hamilton’s road was slightly harder, having to face both Baltimore and Buffalo who were ranked 3rd and 4th in the league, respectively.
b. While I think it is incredible to watch a team continually be at the top of their game and remain a Challenge Cup threat every year, I must commend Texas and I think it’s a little more impressive what they’ve done. We’ve seen a lot of teams perennially be at the bottom of the standings and try to keep people engaged enough in the process and it hasn’t worked.

Task 11a

I think there’s only 1 correct answer on series MVP: A Jobin. The man was an absolute wall throughout the series, and even the playoffs for that matter. I think when looking at the numbers he posted, it’s hard to argue against him winning. While the series may have ended 4-0, that doesn’t tell the whole picture. There were a couple of games where Hamilton got outshot, and the only person who kept them alive was Jobin. While everyone else on the roster had their games, there was one constant that didn’t change and continually showed up on a mission to win, and it was Jobin. It would definitely have to go to him in my opinion.

Task 12

Milestones Claim – 3 TPE

Task 13

I think parity is somewhat of an issue that needs to be discussed/looked at. The main thing for me is that it seems as though FHM has taken out most of the randomness element from the sim, so you already know what sort of outcomes to expect prior to watching any given game. The only ones you’re not certain of are the ones where it’s 2 good teams or 2 bad teams.

This makes it very difficult for people who aren’t on these good teams to really have any sort of involvement in the league or even hope to see their players outperform the top teams’ best players. As someone on one of those top teams, sure it’s great to see the success, but I can’t imagine what others might think of the league when they see stuff like that.

The biggest issue with this is I don’t know if there is a solution. The league cut the salary cap down, made new tiers for contracts and we’re waiting to see if this will help the parity aspect, but I’m not totally sure it’s enough to get the job done. I hope there is more parity soon because it would be good for everyone in the league, and it would make it more enjoyable for everyone.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021, 03:56 PM by st4rface.)

2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words minimum)
There are many things I would love to change in this league. I think there are many problems which wasn't there before and were literally invented by Head Office. For example, one of them is sim engine change which caused some teams going 0-50 in regular season. In that situation, I would keep STHS, because it was much better option. Similar thing with TPE scale which has been changed multiple times per few seasons. It makes everything harder for new players and literally erases all hard work you've put in for your player. I think that it would make a big difference in this league. First of all, we lost a lot of members after they understood how unfair this league is now after new sim engine. Similar thing with new TPE scales. I think that these were the most biggest updates or moments which caused small downfall for this league. It didn't cause a big trouble, but we would definitely have much more members (and maybe even teams) if this wouldn't had happened.
174 words

3. Written, 3 TPE (150 words minimum)
It might sound a bit egoistic, but in my opinion - S54 is the best draft class out here and it stil has a big impact on this league. This draft class contains of multiple champions and future MVP's. Multiple players are going to pass 2000 TPE mark there aswell. They are dominating this league. There are players like Ryosuke Sato, Mikkel Asmus Sondergaard, Dwight Knight, Emilia Bergman, Aumy Jr., Rotticus Scott and others. Multiple players who already have almost scored 100 goals in SHL career and 200 assists. It's an incredible statline for sure. However, I think it will only get better with time. All of these players aren't even in their prime yet. When their prime will hit - then they will prove that this is the best memorable draft class in SHL history. Great defenders, goalies and forwards too. I don't think that there will be any close opponent to this draft class. Let's go!
156 words

4. Written, 3 TPE (150 words minimum)
Aumy Jr.'s had a pretty good career. And most important - he's not even in his peak yet. Key moments in SMJHL would be definitely multiple moments from S56 when he had his best season in SMJHL. There are many highlights with goals, assists and more. There are couple moments in WJC too - for example, S54 and S55, when he got bronze medals. S57 and S59 of IIHF has pretty decent moments too - these both seasons he had a lot of points in Finnish jersey and were pretty good. If we talk about SHL - best moment definitely is S60. Why? He had his best season in SHL points wise and plus/minus wise in both - regular season and Play-Offs. Plus, he was a champion. There are plenty moments to use in this movie, but these are the most important, in my opinion. I think there will be more though. The cast should be Colorado Raptors and Buffalo Stampede - players, trainers and coaches.
161 words

6. Written, up to 4 TPE (50 words minimum to each)
a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion?
- Steelhawks are an amazing team who dominates last few seasons just like Buffalo Stampede. I think they hard harder road to Finals this season. Renegades played only versus one contender - Chicago Syndicate and they almost lost. They didn't had harder path - they were just worse team. Steelhawks played versus two contenders - Buffalo Stampede and Baltimore Platoon. Plus, Atlanta Inferno isn't an easier opponent either. Steelhawks had harder path to Finals for sure.
72 words

b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness?
- Of course, it's cool and impressive to come from last position and get to the top, but they had ten seasons to do it. I think, each franchise should be able to re-build team from last place to Finals contender in 10 seasons. Staying at the top for 10 seasons is much more impressive, in my opinion. It's similar to Buffalo Stampede. These both teams have dominated league for so long that they are most known SHL franchises out there with biggest history. They are like representing an entire league.
90 words

c. What is a renegade? What is a steelhawk? Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?
- Renegade is a person who usually betrays country or specific group of people. That's why it's kinda interesting that this is used as a team name. Steelhawk might be just a very strong hawk which is built stronger than others - from ''steel''. It could be like an ironman - ironhawk (just with steel not iron, haha). Might be funny and might not, but I don't know answer about Victor Helstrom though, haha.
71 words

d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.
- Renegades weren't good previously - they are having their moment just now. They don't have any very memorable retired players. Now they have very solid team who plays team hockey, so there isn't really one player in a lead either. If I had to choose - Renegades has Alexander Wachter. He's a leader in goals in his team and does an excellent job playing his role in Texas. Talking about Steelhawks - there ain't no discussion. It's Aaron Wilson or them, for sure. He's dominating in goals, assists and just destroying each team in this league.
93 words

12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3117665
3 TPE

16 TPE IN TOTAL!

Stars Stars Stars

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 10:19 AM by Matteo.)

1. Trivia
Verification: Smith

3. Draft Kings
+3 TPE
Honestly I think this current S62 draft class could become known as one of the best in SHL History, there's just so many awesome new members that are already involved in the site and their locker rooms, a lot that most people don't even know about yet that I'm confident will stick around to make an impact on the site for a long time. It's always great to see our little community grow, especially with all of the amazing new members of the draft class we have now. Not only this but there's also a really good mix of recreates in this draft that have been around the site for a long time, which is great to see because as someone who was a new member long ago, having more experienced people around to show new members the ropes really goes a long way in helping them to enjoy the site more, stay longer, and just become more engaged in general.

6a. Tougher path
+1 TPE
Both these teams definitely had to push through some strong teams in order to get to the finals, and while I'd like to say that Texas had the bigger challenge since they defeated my Chicago Syndicate, I have to say that Hamilton had it tougher. With Buffalo in the 2nd round and Baltimore in the 3rd, I don't think anyone would blame Hamilton if they fell to either team (no offense to New England, but if Hamilton lost to them it would be a different story), but they were unstoppable and just snow plowed through everyone in their way.

11a. MVP
+2 TPE
There are a few options for playoffs MVP this season. Obviously it's going to a Steelhawk, but do you give it to either of the forwards who scored so many points? The goalie who stood on his head? The rock solid defenseman? Personally I don't think there should be any doubt that it should go to Jobin this season, he played absolutely lights out with an unbelievable .940 save percentage, 50 goals saved above average, and 5 shutouts in 19 games. Both Theo Morgan and Mitchell van der Heijden make good cases as runners-up, but their defensive and advanced stats leave a bit to be desired whereas Jobin was basically perfect.

12. Milestones
+2 TPE

13. Parity
+3 TPE
One one hand, as someone who was drafted to one of the good teams, I selfishly like being one of the top teams every season, but on the other hand it would be nice to see a little bit more variation in the teams we see in the finals. It wouldn't be fun to be stuck at the bottom of the standings season after season while you have to watch the same teams win over and over. It's good that I'm not in HO since I'd have no idea how to go about fixing this issue in a way that's fair, but maybe there could be some changes to the cap or how much players get paid or something. Once you have all your good players, it's very easy to stay at the top when almost everybody is willing to take the league minimum. I think a lot of people are getting tired of seeing the same teams win and it can't be good for retention so something definitely needs to change.

14. Upswing
+3 TPE
One team that I think did all the right things to turn themselves into a contender in the near future is the San Francisco Pride. The majority of their team was drafted in either season 55 or season 56, with a few later on, so at this point it's really just a waiting game for them to see hopefully most of their players pan out and push for that 2k mark. If they can all do this then I think everyone should watch out for San Francisco really opening their window in the next two or three seasons or so, and keeping it open for awhile. The way they are building really reminds me of Chicago's cup-winning roster, where most of our players were drafted in either season 46 or season 47, with a few coming in later on to keep the team competitive. By season 75 San Francisco will definitely have multiple cups under their belt.

18. Bring back
+2 TPE
Selfishly I'd love to see a return of the great Will Windsor, who was a shot-blocking machine, since this would mean that I wouldn't have to do as much in net. I guess since Renomitsu has a new player that can't happen though. One user that I'd love to see the return of would be Smiley. He was drafted in the same class as me in QCC, had a great player named Max Goodman, and was very active there for a long while but then just kinda disappeared. Such is the nature of this kind of community I guess but wherever he is I hope he's doing alright.

3+1+2+2+3+3+2=16 TPE

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 10:34 AM by Ace.)

TOTAL TPE: 16

Task 1
Trivia - Victor Helstrom fun
+3 TPE

Task 12
Milestones
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3117676
+3 TPE

Task 13
Parity itself has become an issue. A big reason for the new update scale was to bridge the gap between teams in the league, but with the lack of participants at the biggest stage the discussions should be rekindled. For the longest time, the Challenge Cup Finals were what I referred to as the “Buffalo Stampede and Hamilton Steelhawks Invitational”. I believe the majority of the issues around these revolved around the stable, competent management teams for both teams and the constant churning and changing of management personnel with many of the other franchises that were stuck in a bubble or perpetually rebuilding. I think that there’s not much that can be done to address this issue. It simply falls on competing franchises to step up and execute.
+3 TPE

Task 14
Of the teams that are on the precipice, I can really see Tampa Bay being a team that makes a statement that they are here and ready to show that they belong. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them punch their ticket to a Challenge Cup Final, but they will have to emerge out of a tough Eastern Conference, which means if they want to represent the East, the road runs through either Hamilton or Buffalo. That’s trial by fire, if I have ever seen it. They did a traditional rebuild and are now being rewarded for the pain they endured back in the early S50s. I recall joking that the old Detroit Falcons team could have arguably beat the Tampa Bay Barracuda that went 0-for.
+3 TPE

Task 18
I have been in the SHL since 2011. That’s a pretty damn long time. I’ve got over 30 seasons of GMing experience, and it all started way back in S6 or so when I worked with @diamond_ace with the Manhattan Rage. D_A is a great dude; I still talk to him from time to time. He has taken up residence over at the VHL last I knew, and didn’t have the time or effort that is needed to create a competent, competitive player here in the SHL. I’d love to have him return some time and give it a go again – it’s a completely different place now than it was then.
+2 TPE

Task 21
Honestly, I thought the Pill PT way back when was really, really odd. I remember when every PT was hockey related, and it was sort of like, RP back then. This was a serious departure from the historical norm, and that was kind of entertaining in its own way. I find it easy to write about arbitrary hockey things and drone on to complete a PT, so this made me think a bit more critically. Overall, the PT Director gig is a rather unforgiving role, so I appreciate the effort you are putting into the site. Cheers, Slash! Keep up the good work.
+2 TPE

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 09:55 PM by Acsolap.)

Affiliate: ISFL affiliate

3/16

1: trivia verification word: boats

Victor helstrom

6/16

12: Milestones

9/16

IIHF has come around again at the end of the season. Like always it does seem like somewhat of an after thought for the league which is a shame as there seems to be more parity there despite Canada having the clear numerical advantage in player base to choose from. I think that Great Britain will once again be strong but this will be one of the final years that they are in position to compete as they start to lose some of their legends like Guy Zheng, Dominic Montgomery and Rex Kirkby while having to rely on dross such as Jon Forty-One to carry them forwards.

11/16

The brand new world simulation basketball league has just opened with its first ever draft in its inaugural season. In this cross over I choose to take my simulation hockey league player Rex Kirkby and enter him into the draft with everyone else. All of these players have barely 100 tpe but Rex even though he is almost twice the age of these players is close to 1500 tpe. He is of course drafted first over all because who would be insane enough to turn down the new Michael JODAN. He goes into the league more or less capped in all stats and it is childs play. He can dribble the whole team and he is near on the only player able to accurately shoot the ball in the entire league. There are no records yet to break so Rex sets them all and whats more due to the absolute absence of competition the records are so large they are likely never to be broken.

14/16

Honestly Slash I think that you have been doing a great job with the PT department. Occasionally tasks are a little slow to be graded but mostly it has been on point. I might be in the minority but I really enjoy the prompts and how they have some continuation to them. I think the addition of multiple options has been a good way to perhaps include people that had an issue with some of the posts from the past season. As well as this the job is integral to the sites wellbeing and you stepped up at a time when no one else would and I think that is sometimes forgotten by the people that love to whine about it.

16/16

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Task 1: 3 TPE Verification word: Lev

Task 12: Milestones- 3 TPE

Task 13: 3 TPE- I dont believe that there is an issue with the small amount of teams to make finals in the past four to five seasons. There are so many different factors that go into making a good, strong team that I think its possible any team can make it with the right amount of work. FHM makes for an even playing field and its hard to abuse that system, especially with all the factors going into a good team. These factors include making smart drafts at ideal times, trading for what you need at key moments, encouraging your players to make builds that will complement each other and having a strong strategy for your lines. Lastly, cultivating a good locker room setting is vitals to retaining players and helping them stay active. All of these factors are important to making a good team and its important for the other SHL teams to improve these things in order to be more competitive in playoffs. (162)

Task 14: 3 TPE- I may be biased here, but the Edmonton Blizzard is making their way into being a strong contender in the SHL playoffs. The EDM locker room has been a very lively and active space that I've been happy to be apart of since I got drafted. The management has recently taken a change and the new GM's seem eager and excited to build a competitive team. There is constant discussion in the build help channel to get players on a sound track to being power houses on the ice and working together well. There is a great new rookie class that has been earning at an impressive rate that are getting called up in the next few seasons. Most of these rookies are getting called up into the SHL having won the four star cup in the SMJL. It may take a few seasons for this team to build up its new rookies, but I would bet money that its going to win that challenge cup soon. (167 words)

Task 15: 2 TPE- There is one simple answer to this question. Britain is going to bring home the gold! Lev recently joined the British Isles after a daring escape from Russia, bringing his family with him. The British Isles and Great Britain have been making fantastic moves and are for sure going to be a strong presence in the IIHF and WJC for the next couple seasons. The GM's are eager to win that gold and I think they have recruited the necessary players, including myself, to make that happen. Its Great Britain's time to shine and that gold is going to be ours soon. (102 Words) 

Task 21: 2 TPE- I think you've done a great job since taking over the PT's the last two seasons. I have found your prompts to be fun and enjoyable and I genuinely look forward to the wild and crazy ideas that you come up with. I know that not everyone took as well to your new ideas and I like that you took that feedback in stride and have been going the extra mile to come up with multiple prompts per PT to accommodate that. You also hired me as a grader and did a fantastic job training me up and teaching me how it all works. I think you've gone above and beyond and easily earned that 8 mil, if not more. (120 Words)

16 TPE total

[Image: manh_sig6.png?width=499&height=542][Image: lebedev-sig.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 03:22 PM by DrunkenTeddy.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
DT

Code:
7. Graphic, 2 TPE, This one's for Seymour
Design a championship ring for either team. Yeah you can use the ring site.
[Image: tlza29x.png]

Code:
10. Podcast, 3 or 4 TPE
Record a mini-podcast on any of the below topics!
-The good the bad and the ugly: teams that exceeded expectations, did not meet them, and Winnipeg
-The playoffs played out as expected? Any surprises?
-Trades, the infuriating slap on the wrist Hamilton got to start the season, drafts
-Anything else SHL related you want to talk about really. It helps to write a list of topics to hit before recording and just go over them

1 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 8 minutes or 4 TPE for 10 Minutes
2 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 10 Minutes or 4 TPE for 15 Minutes
Post the direct link to your podcast.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ogJON9W...sp=sharing

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=119534

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3117745 +2

Code:
13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)
There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.
I think the update scale and contract changes that were made are steps in the right direction, but neither really did enough to have an instant effect like people hoped. I think some different teams are on their way to making the finals, but it's a much longer road now than it was in the past and that isn't really a good thing for the league. I'd hate to suggest another update scale change but it could use some more tweaking to make lower TPE players better and higher tpe players worse. We held back on the previous change so that we didn't negatively impact the performance of top players but I think that may have been the wrong choice. Top players are still a lot better than their lower TPE counterparts and unless we bring that divide closer together we won't get much more parity. Some people have suggested more restrictions on builds or on tactics, we should probably investigate those further as well.

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE, Baby come back 100 words min
If you had the power to bring back one user to the SHL, who would it be? We're talking full activity, balls to the wall. They could be a banned user, user gone inactive, or someone who's around but doesn't really fuck with SHL anymore. Pick your user and why you want them back that badly? Did you love them, or do you just want to watch the league burn?
This is way too easy, I'd bring Eggy back, peak eggy was a dream to work with, the guy was an absolute stud (pony pun intended) taking on anything and everything he could do to help the league. Despite knowing very little about web work and setting up the new forum and site, he jumped right in with both feet and offered me all the help he could give. All while still running the league as commissioner and helping out in the NEW war room. I think he also joined all the rookie mentor discords and helped where he could. Man Eggy was a beast.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Victor Helstrom

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Draft Kings (150 words min.)
Pick a draft class in the SHL that you believe had the most impact on the SHL. It can be a consensus pick, like S36, 31, or 53, or an off-the-board one (S41?). Explain your reasoning to why this draft class impacted the league; Could be in a good way, or a bad way.

Season 55 is one of the most impactful classes during the 50's in the Simulation Hockey League. This class, which joined in May of 2020, arguably the first class who found the SHL after being stuck at home during the start of the pandemic. I know personally, I found the SHL in early May of 2020, after two months of lock down and working from home. Any who, now in this class you have multiple recreates who went high in the drafting order, and have now amassed a wealth of regular SHL contributors, such as GMs, Awards Committee members, streamers, updaters, etc, etc. Not only that, but around the top 15-20 members of the class can still be considered "max earners", my estimates are that around 15 of this class are on track to join the two thousand tpe club. This class has seen 4 expansions during it's time, seeing it happen twice in the J and twice in the big leagues. This class knows adversity and seeing their friends being selected for expansion teams. Resiliant.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.)
You've been contacted by a big film studio who wants to center the next big hockey movie around your career so far! All you need to do is supply a 150+ word explanation about what will be key scenes of moments or games in your career, the cast, and a general timeline of the film as it follows you from team to team, junior to pro. This one is open ended so how you approach it is up to you!

The now reformed Weinstein films, who have cut all ties with found Harvey, are on the rebound and exploring all options to make them just as relevant as before. Instead of producing films like Scream 4, Hateful 8, St. Vincent, or even the classic Django Unchained, they've decided to rebrand as a documentary company. Some of the working titles they have right now "Why the SHL reigns supreme" "ISFL is a league" "PBE is kind of a league" "Nobody cares about Baseball" and "Victory". That's right Victory, the story of Igor Victory, following his journey through his Free Agent summer following his first two years in the SHL. Directed by Finnish Film director Marjaana Hämäläinen, this is her first work in the sports world, and first work in the North American film community. It details Igor's journey from his days in Tampere and joining juniors clubs there to his time in Anchorage, his drafting to Tampa Bay and then his decision to sign in Philadelphia.

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3117749

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion?
b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness?
c. What is a renegade? What is a steelhawk? Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?
d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.

a. I think it's difficult to say whether Hamilton or Texas had the tougher path to get to the finals. They both played 15 games a piece. They both played a recent (within 5 seasons) cup winner in the 2nd round. They only difference is that Texas was taken to game 7 against Chicago and Hamilton was taken to 6 games in the Semi finals against BAP. If you look purely at whether a game 7 makes it more difficult than Texas wins this one.

b.Sustained greatness or coming back to the finals twice in three seasons. That's the ultimate question. I think this has to go to sustained greatness in the end. 5 Championships in 11 seasons is nothing short of being amazing. That's seeing players peak and decline and then getting new players coming into their prime, trading well, drafting well along the margins. It's impressive, more impressive than 2 appearances and one win in 3 seasons.

c.Renegades are the people with their own philosophies, they change the course of history. They're people like Chief Sitting Bull, Tom Paine, Dr. Martin Luther King, Malcom X. They were all renegades of their time and age. A steelhawk is apparently a roller coaster in Kansas City, MO. It's also a weapon in World of Warcraft, I guess. Victor Helstrom is actually Taylor Swift telling you to "suck it".

d. The Best player on the Hamilton Steelhawks is none other than number 69, played his entire career for the Hamilton Steelhawks, The one and only Ben Dover. Over 890 games played, 207 goals, 493 assists, and exactly 700 points. Dover earned all star nods 3 times but never won the elusive Challenge Cup.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 03:44 PM by awils13.)

Code:

ham

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

a. I think Hamilton had the harder path as we had to defeat two 100 point teams in Buffalo and Baltimore, and also Atlanta is probably one of the more difficult first-round opponents. It felt like TEX-CHI was the real western conference final and while SFP and EDM are good teams, they're probably not in that top tier yet.
b. I think completing a rebuild and winning the cup is really impressive. Many teams have tried or are trying to do the same but have not been able to get over the hump yet. I think most people would agree that rebuilds have become more difficult. Texas won the cup just 6 seasons after that 9 win season so they must've done something right.
d. I would like to believe that I'm in the conversation for Hamilton but as I have said in the past, Robert Phelps is the best player to ever play for Hamilton. Phelps was one of the most consistent forwards of his era, scoring 40+ points every season, Hamilton's captain for many years and a leader on and off the ice.

Code:
11a. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

I think the finals MVP as well as the playoffs MVP should be Jobin and I have stats to prove it. Jobin is the first goalie since Kryyst in s53 to finish with a .940 save percentage in the playoffs. .920 is good, .930 is very good but .940 is truly remarkable. There are some other great candidates as well, Theo Morgan scored 25 points in 19 games to lead all skaters and was very consistent throughout the playoffs, you could also mention MVDH who stepped up in the finals. But I think Jobin was our best player on the ice in almost every game, so he gets my vote for mvp.

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3117772

Code:
15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (100 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC if you care about that more. Will there be surprises? Will any players make their country proud? Who's gonna suck? Be bold!

I'll talk about Canada since I was named fed head this season and I don't really know much about other teams. I think we have a solid chance to win, as always, I don't know the average tpe levels but we must have one of the strongest rosters on paper because all our skaters are active and earning well, I think our lowest tpe player is like 1300+ and when your lowest tpe is 1300 you know you have a really good team. Except the goalie position has been an achilles' heel for us but hopefully our rookie goalie will be able to hold their own. I expect Ryan Shepard to have a good tournament because he's our best forward and of course, I expect Gabriel Johnson to be terrible like he always is because Gabe sucks.

Code:
If you had the power to bring back one user to the SHL, who would it be? We're talking full activity, balls to the wall. They could be a banned user, user gone inactive, or someone who's around but doesn't really fuck with SHL anymore. Pick your user and why you want them back that badly? Did you love them, or do you just want to watch the league burn?

There were a few users I was sad to see go inactive but if I had to pick one it would be Sami Raanta from the S47 draft class. Probably not a lot of people remember him but Sami was one of the most active members of our draft class early, wrote a lot of good media and was just really a nice person to talk to in the LR. He was also kind of the reason I got drafted to hamilton because we were both centers and sami was drafted first and agreed to switch to wing so ham could draft me. Shortly after he dropped a huge article and ghosted a couple of days later, hopefully he just lost interest in the league and nothing bad happened irl to him.

Code:
21. Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min
It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and its stupid.

I think you have done a good job and I don't understand the criticism when you're doing something no one else wanted to do (as far as I know). I wasn't a fan of some PT prompts but it happens every season, with previous PT heads as well. Some of the PTs were pretty fun to do. And the introduction of dual prompts was a really great idea since everyone can pick the version that seems easier or more interesting to them. This is my last task of the CW and I have to say this CW was well done too. I felt like I was writing about the same things every CW in the past but this one had a lot more tasks than usual.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2021, 09:41 AM by Canadice.)

Code:
helstrom

Code:
Pick a draft class in the SHL that you believe had the most impact on the SHL. It can be a consensus pick, like S36, 31, or 53, or an off-the-board one (S41?). Explain your reasoning to why this draft class impacted the league; Could be in a good way, or a bad way.

I think that the S1 draft class has been the most impactful in the SHL. Players like Damian Littleton, Ryan Jesster, Anton Razov, Jay McDonald, Jeff Dar, Sergei Karpotsov, Sarmad Khan (drafted in round 3?!), Scott Stevens, Ron Mexico (round 6?!?!?) has been instrumental in building a legacy that lives on until today. Their accomplishments and dedication really helped start up the league that has now been ongoing for more than 10 calendar years as you might recognize these names either from an award named after them or from their Hall of Fame banners. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to start up a league from scratch and having to garner new and keep the current interest in the league going to make it viable for the future. I haven't been a part of the league that long and have a limited view of the history of the league, but I can safely say that the inaugural draft contains the most amount of player names that I can recognize.

Code:
Words: 174

Code:
13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)
There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

I believe that the issue comes down to a couple different aspects. First of all the aforementioned four teams (NOLA was before my time) has had a great core group of players that has been in their prime. Given that there does not exist any real value for a player to go where they are paid the most, it produces a routine of good players staying put for longer periods of time where they are successful. When teams are able to keep most of their core, the work with tactics and strategies becomes much easier as there shouldn't be many changes between seasons that need to be addressed in some way. At the current time, the only way for a powerhouse to lose their place in the top mostly comes from players aging out and losing out to regression. Although we have seen very close games and series in the past couple of playoffs and there have been plenty of chances where the teams in the final would have been different, so I don't think it's such a gloomy situation as I have made it seem.

Code:
Words: 189

Code:
14. Written, 3 TPE, Upswing (150 words min.)
What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?

It wouldn't be fair not to mention the Rage as an up and coming powerhouse of the SHL. The next core of players from S58-S59 have just begun their SHL career and the past two drafts have seen the Rage select a total of three players in the top four and will have the first pick selection in the upcoming draft as well. On top of these top prospects, three more first round selections have been made during the S60 and S61 draft resulting in a great pool of players with a high ceiling that will come into their prime in the next 5-10 seasons. This means that most of the prospects who will play for the team will come from a 4-5 season draft classes resulting in a cup window of around 15 seasons where the team will have a combination of players in and out of their prime.

Code:
Words: 154

Code:
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC if you care about that more. Will there be surprises? Will any players make their country proud? Who's gonna suck? Be bold!

Two of the stronger candidates for the IIHF win is Great Britain or Sweden. The defensive side for Great Britain are all-stars from top to bottom and will be tough for any opponent to get through. The only risk is that the British doesn't manage to get goals on the offensive side of the rink. The Swedes on the other hand are coming into their own with a great core of players on all aspects of the ice. The current roster has three rookies from the S57-58 seasons joining an experienced group of players who just barely lost in the semi-final last year against Great Britain.

Code:
Words: 110

Code:

I would love to bring back [L|J]uke to the forum. They both helped me get started with analyses of the SHL that eventually evolved and ended up in the analytics app. I think if they were to be as active as they both once were, we could do great things together. Their ideas of how to look at data and experience with the league is something that could help with the development and updating of the app and take it to another level. I know that they are still around in some capacity, but I would have liked to also be around when their activity was at its highest.

Code:
Words: 111

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3117767

Code:

This might be biased, but I honestly think S47 had one of the biggest impacts on the SHL. Myself, hotdog, SDCore, jnh, and Esa were all SHL GMs at one point. Myself, SDCore, secondsucks, jess, and jnh were all SMJHL GMs at one point. SDCore was the SHL Commissioner for a little while. Jess, corey, jnh, aaronwilson, julio tokolosh, RM, Carpy, Esa, and esilverm all had VERY successful SHL players that also reached 2000 tpe, or were very close to it. I know there's more people that contributed a lot of value to this site from this class, or these same people did in multiple ways that I haven't named or forgot about, but I only used the S47 discord for names and I know there were a few people in there that left the discord, but these are all great reasons why S47 was the best class in SHL history.

[Image: dmills3.gif]
[Image: 6by0kBi.png] || [Image: ohmEd0h.png]

CanadaWhalersSteelhawks

Code:

Victor Helstrom

[Image: uktCsuX.png]

Code:

Mojito

Code:
6a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion? (1 TPE)

By far and away, Hamilton had the more challenging path to the finals, which either makes their run more impressive or more infuriating depending on how you want to look at it. Ignoring the first round of the playoffs, Hamilton had to play the best team in the league (at least on paper), followed up by BAP who have also proven themselves to be a cup contender. Texas did have to get past a very good Chicago team, but then the Blizzard who had their own easy path to the conference finals despite not being quite a contending team yet. (100 words)

Code:
6b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness? (1 TPE)

I’m going to have to give credit to Texas for rebuilding and becoming a perennial contending team and say their success as more impressive. Hamilton’s enjoyed stability in leadership and has always been a top free agent destination. Texas on the other hand had to earn their way to the top, something that you don’t see many teams being able to do. (62 words)

Code:
6d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case. (1 TPE)

Since this prompt is under the “Present” category I’m going to base my opinion of best player off of the current roster. For the Steelhawks, I’m going to pick Aaron Wilson with Theo Morgan a close second. Wilson is consistently one of their top performers season after season. As for the Renegades I would say its Wachter, but Williams is emerging as the future star of the team. (68 words)

Code:
11a. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

Normally I would look at both teams and give consideration to the team that lost the cup. Unfortunately for Texas they didn’t put up much of a fight so this cup finals the series MVP has to come from Hamilton. I’m sure the case can be made for a few different players, but I am picking Mitchel van der Heijden. MVDH led the way offensively putting up 3 goals and 3 assists, throwing 23 pucks at the net, 14 of which found their target, and finished a plus three. Putting up offensive numbers always looks good, but what made me choose him over any one else was that the forward group as a collective had 10 shot blocks. MVDH had half of those with 5. He wasn’t afraid to sacrifice his body to help the team win. (136 words)

Code:

Milestones Link

Code:
14. Written, 3 TPE, Upswing (150 words min.)
What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?

As somebody who hasn’t paid much attention to them, New Orleans season really surprised me. I think they still have quite a bit of work to do, but based off what they just did I would have to say that they are the team most likely to force their way into the playoffs.

I think BAP is ready to be included as one of the top four. They had a drastic improvement in the standings following the S59 season and proved it wasn’t a fluke this past season with 100 points. They would be my best guess as the next team to win a cup that isn’t of the big four.

For future I am going to be a homer mostly because I don’t have a pulse on how other teams prospect pools are doing. The Blizzard are set to be serious contenders in the coming seasons thanks to Keygan and Tommy’s final acts as GM and very strong S59 draft. So long as everyone keeps earning, the team should be solid throughout the line up. (176 words)

Code:

Here is my bold take for the IIHF tournament. Canada is once again going to be a dominant nation and this year they return to glory by winning gold. Japan has had their fun, but its over for them and they will have to settle for bronze. I am thinking its going to be a showdown between Canada and the US, with the US taking home the silver. As far as players making their nations proud, only player and nation I care about is my own for Canada. Last two tournaments were pretty disappointing, so I am expecting a break out where I can be a solid contributing member of the team. I also want to add an IIHF gold to go along with my two WJC golds so I’d better step the F up and get it done. (139 words)

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Citadelles Citadelles Stars Blizzard Canada 
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Milestones +3 TPE

Trivia +3 TPE
Verification word coward

Task 4
Wow, a big studio already wants to make a hockey movie about my player? That’s insane considering he hasn’t even been out of the Juniors yet! There would be many events that would need to be covered throughout this film including but not limited to, Wilson fleeing Canada to get a better home in Russia, something that has never been heard before. But onto actual hockey memories, it has to start by being drafted by Detroit with the 9th overall pick in the S59 SMJHL draft, and the first 2 seasons there. While in Detroit, it has to be highlighted that Wilson was very quiet in the Locker Room but he always gave it his all on the ice. The second part of the documentary would have to be when he was traded for a first round pick to the Vancouver Whalers and proceeded to win the cup. It would end with Wilson walking proudly into the Montreal facility to play in the big leagues for the first time.

+3 TPE

Task 6
a) It’s silly that this can even be a question looking over the finals matchups that lead both Hamilton and Texas to the final. Texas swept round 1 and 3, while Hamilton was put to the test in round 3, where they won 4-2 and was able to know what a loss is and not let it happen again in the finals, completing the sweep.

b)  The ability to stay great is much more impressive than completing a rebuild, it takes a lot of time and energy making the right moves to remain competitive, and the Steelhawks have done it basically for their entire history that I know of. Completing the rebuild is impressive, but not as impressive as staying relevant for decades of sim seasons.

c) A renegade is a dance from the hit kids/teen app TikTok, popularized by TikTok sensation Charli D’Amelio. A steel hawk is a hawk that has been genetically modified to have steel on its wings and according to the logo, look very angry as it actually hurts their skin, even though it makes them look like Skarmory from pokemon.

d)  The best player to play for the Steelhawks right now would have to be Aaron Wilson. After I failed to draft him in fantasy once again this year he proved his dominance by scoring a whopping 104 points during the season, just insane. It is clear that the modern day steelhawks offense runs through Wilson, and he doesn’t let them down.

+4 TPE

Task 13

People are always saying that there is a parity problem in the SHL, from GMs to people on the forums to even my own brother, Valor. I do not really think there is a parity problem, as the other teams just need to get good. Whether that means that they have to stop giving Hamilton their first round pick, or make sure to lock their players up for long term so they don’t leave for Hamilton or Texas. The real rip here is to trust the process, don’t try and contend early on in your rebuild, identify the weak years of these juggernauts and attack when they least expect it, keep developing your talent and success will come in the future. Who knows, maybe your team will be the next Texas Renegades or Hamilton Steelhawks, I think that is going to be Montreal soon, but it really could be anyone with the way these draft classes have been going.

+3 TPE

16/16 TPE

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png] [Image: 9pUocRs.png] [Image: tCcIWQC.png] 
[Image: Skree.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 05:01 PM by Ragnar.)

TASK ONE: TRIVIA +3
Verification word: YOLOSWAG

Also Victor Helstrom apparently.

TASK TWO: +3
This kind of goes against the spirit of this question maybe a little bit, but I often think about what would have been if I hadn’t retired Morley after only 14 seasons. Thinking back on it, I honestly have no idea why I even did. According to the Bojo box, Morley had 37 points in 50 games his last season, which was S28. That isn’t bad, considering he had 37 points in 50 games the season previous, and three seasons before that he only had 33 points. If I could go back and do it over, I’d have milked Morley for all he was worth and retired super late… like 20+ seasons of playing before I retired him. Knowing I could’ve had some SHL records that may even be still holding up to this day and knowing I could’ve made him a household name kind of stings, especially since my recreate player Hans Moleman was a fucking joke and so was the player I made after Moleman.

TASK FOUR: +3
You want to make a movie about me, Chimkin Wing? May I ask why? Okay then. I guess the movie would start talking about Chimkin TENDY’s upbringing, how he was raised in a poor area of Serbia and how both his parents were coal miners, working long and tough hours and leaving Tendy to raise his sixteen siblings all by himself. He was the oldest, so obviously the most responsible. It would follow him to the youth games, playing goalie against other Serbian kids. Then it would follow him to the SMJHL, where he signed as an undrafted free agent to the Anchorage Armada, and the trials and tribulations he went through there before he was finally able to take home a Four Star Cup. It would have a special little snippet in it showing him get a shut out in his first SHL game, then it would go in to depth about his position and name change. Bonus points awarded to the movie for making the point that Chimkin Wing is the only forward in SHL history to post a shutout in his SHL debut.

TASK SIX: +4
a. Hamilton had the easier path to the finals because they’re OP as fuck and incredibly well built to win championships. Pepper in a little bit of “they’re above the law and don’t get punished for things like signing their prospects after the deadline” and it’s a winning combination. I suppose I’m just jealous.
b. To stay good for that long is much, much more impressive than going through a rebuild and being good. Nothing against Texas at all, as rebuilds aren’t always easy and they don’t always work, but to maintain a certain level of excellence through that many seasons is due to incredible scouting and contract negotiations combined with fostering a winning culture.
c. A Renegade is someone who goes against the rules I think? Like sort of an outlaw but instead of being from Anaheim they’re from Texas. A steelhawk is a hawk that’s made of steel, which is stupid because it would be too heavy to fly, but what do I know. Victor Helstrom is some dude whose name was dropped twice during trivia and I have no idea who he is.
d. It’s gotta be Aaron Wilson, right? He had 177 points in 200 games from S49 to S52 (that’s as far as Bojo box goes), he lead the league in scoring this season and he’s a four time Cup winner. Plus he has some personal hardware to go with it (leading the league in scoring, four all star appearances, etc.). So I would say it’s him.

TASK 14: +3
I would say the team that I personally believe is about to bust through and make a finals appearance has to be the Baltimore Platoon. They were very close this past season and just had some bad playoff luck. They had the exact same regular season record as Texas, who is currently in the finals. Had they not had to face the juggernaut that is Hamilton in the conference finals, they would have made it to the finals and probably won it all, in my opinion. Hamilton is the crusher of dreams for everyone, so it’s no surprise they couldn’t beat them, but I know I was worried about facing Baltimore in the playoffs. I think that they’ll win a title very soon. They seem to have some great management who knows how to build a team and knows how to win. FHM is a fickle beast but it will reward them one day.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤