Create Account

S62 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 02:54 PM by JSS331.)

Milestones +3 TPE

1. Trivia Verification word: Ham +3 TPE (6/16)

13.  Ah, the good old debate about parity in the league yet the same two teams end up in the finals this year.  At the end of the day, every team is playing under the same rules and there is no getting around that there are some GMs who are masters at what they do and there are others who chase big off season signings and don't draft well.  Winning breads winning and players want to play for teams that are chasing championships every season.  I think this year was very strange that the exact two teams finished in the finals however, we got a different champion, and there are some other up and coming teams that had better regular seasons than Ham did this year.  So long story short, yes, on the surface this final looks like there is no parity but if you look at the league as a whole, there are some great teams that will be fighting for the cup over the next few years.

168 words 9/16 TPE

18.  Just to start, I love this idea for a prompt.  After the four finals in a row in which Hamilton wins most of them obviously, it's time to fill up the other teams with players since everyone else quit like sour grapes.  Guy O'Shea is getting up there in age but since I get to create four more players, I would start by creating some offensive players.  My first would be Guy LeDousche, formerly of Most Extreme Challenge, now a crafty Right Winger with a lot of speed but not much size.  The next would be Gunter Steiner, a power forward with a lot of anger issues.  I fully expect him to lead the league in fights as well as something he calls Fok Smashing the penalty box door on his way in.  The last forward will be Gio Gionapanagapalapagas also known as the greek freak like his counterpart in the NBA.  A very skilled scorer, he knows what to do when the puck ends up on his stick.  The last player would be another Defenseman, the brother of Guy O'Shea named Liam O'Shea.  Very much in the same mold as his brother, he likes to score but can also lay the wood when needed.

205 words 12/16 TPE

a.  A cup here in the STHS era is much more important as in the limited experience I had with the old sim engine, literally any team could win the championship which was ridiculous.  At least with this one, it does seem like the cream rises to the top and one of the best teams does seem to win every year.  This sim engine really does not like repeat winners though.  You could bet the house on the other team when someone makes the finals two years in a row (this year as case in point).
b.  This is an impossible one to answer as these are all good teams.  I'm not sure what the question is really speculating as if they had not run into each other in the second round then yes, there definitely would have been a different final four.  In the end, the best four teams were there at the end.
c.  Those five people are some of the meanest pipe swinging blue collar bastards that you would even come across though.  Try to take their team and see what happens.  Riots in that city, they'd burn the whole place down.  That said if I had to answer, it wouldn't be the worst thing to move to a slightly warmer climate in the south.  Maybe Charleston?
d. You could probably look at some players on the Chicago team like Ryan Shepard.  He has been a top 10 point getter and very high in the assist category both years but his team came up short in getting into the finals.  It is very tough when most of the great players play on Texas and Hamilton but he would be one I would look at as having been great both years.

16/16 TPE

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 02:43 PM by Rabidsponge21.)

PBE CW - 4 CW Tasks

4. Written, 3 TPE, Rules (150 words min.)
There have been a lot of rule changes in the SHL. Where do you think these changes have gone right, where do you think they have gone wrong? Would you ever want to go back to a previous way of doing things? Do you think the SHL is fine as is?

I think the biggest no no was the switch to the new engine without maybe giving some more seasons of testing to ensure it was working as intended. Mind you with how competitive people can be now a days - even if a flaw was found - I think some teams would hide them until they could be used to push for wins and wait for it to get banned then before actually bringing it forward for the league to be better as a whole. I would like to see if there was a way to re work the salary structure system to allow for a little more fun with the whole situation but I know deep down that won't happen. What could happen? Cross league Bank sharing. I'd like to be able to transfer some of my money from say PBE to the SHL but at an acceptable exchanged rate. Maybe I like doing media over there more, and if that still equaled what I would get for doing media in SHL - I dont see the issue with this do you?

6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
I think for myself I would like to see them moved to a more far out location more than anything - forget keeping things regionally locked - get a team somewhere in europe. I'd love the chance for some of our european users to have some more direct representation than just the IIHF every off season. Lets make it happen next expansion.

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

1. Trivia  - 3 TPE
Verification word: Katth

2. Great Man - 3 TPE
When I think about a GM that has done an amazing job I can think of multiple, but there is one that stands out far beyond anyone else and that's Esa / Stealhead77. When we talked before my SHL draft I already had a great feeling about him. He was open and honest about what the future would bring if I would become a Calgary Dragon. He didn't fail to deliver and I'm greatful he drafted me and give me a chance to prove myself. Esa has build a great organisation of the Calgary Dragons and throughout the years shared great knowledge about GM-ing to me and Mike Izzy. Whenever I needed advice on how to move forward with Kelowna (when I was GM there myself) he was always prepared to give me options on how to proceed and possible outcomes. To me he's been the best GM I've ever witnessed on the site.

3. Draft Bust - 3 TPE
One of the draft busts in recent Calgary Dragons history I want to talk about is Wally / Cale Amundsen. He was taken into the organisation to be the backup of Kata Vilde and ultimately take over the number one position as a netminder for the greatest franchise on the site. A few seasons ago Wally was anounced as co-GM after I had retired. Mike Izzy and Wally as a GM tandem would bring us back to glory, but Wally had other plans. He'd rather be GM of a shitplace called Toronto and abbandon us all without even saying a proper goodbye to his former team and not even inform his GM he was planning to ditch us like this. To me that makes him our greatest draft bust of recent years and I hope he enjoys himself in Toronto before bailing on them in a while. Thanks, but no thanks.

4. Rules - 3 TPE
The new regression rules are something that had to happen I guess in some form, but the way they work out for some draft classes is horrible. The same teams winning over and over is getting old and there needs to be a quicker turnover for players in the top of the league. For me it's also a negative outcome. My player being from S46 is already regressing a fair bit and this change pushes him into retirement early. But it has to be done. I need to make room for new players and I accept that. But the people that would have regressed 10% now have to regress 20% that's total bullshit and pretty hard on them. They can't even enjoy a full season at a decent peak TPE, which must be pretty frustrating for them to say the least. I hope not too many of them quit because of this.

6c. Hamilton - 1 TPE
I would relocate Hamilton Steelhawks to the edge of the earth so they can have their own league with black jack and hookers and not dominate our league anymore. That would be best for everybody on this site (even them). So yeah, I'd move them pretty far away from here.

12. Milestones - 3 TPE
Here

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 09:20 PM by Wongy.)

Task1
IDKAboutThis

Task 2
One GM I will always give a lot of credit to is Esa aka Steelhead77. No longer the head of the Calgary regime, Esa was able to win cups with that Calgary game in multiple eras. He’s been able to draft very well, and keep those players motivated to reach their full potential. Even the quiet guys he manages to go out of his way to message to make sure they’re motivated enough to keep going. One thing that I thought Esa was the best at everyone at though, was strategizing his assets. No matter what he had on his team, he was always able to keep his team competitive and gunning for a playoff spot. And he knew better than anyone, once you got into the playoffs, anything can happen. Strategizing after being down 0-3 to Hamilton to win his first Challenge Cup, the run that started it all. Esa is in my opinion one of the best in all time history, and it’ll be difficult for anyone to even try to claim that top seat.
Code:
177 words

Task 3
Logan Wong is definitely the biggest bust so far of the Wong family. With both Ben Wong and Hunter Wong both being hall of famers, and Gabriel Wong being a 3 time Challenge Cup winner, Logan Wong is the only player from that entire family tree to have not won anything. Ben had the individual awards, Gabriel had the Challenge Cups and Hunter had both. With that much expectation, it’s clear as to why Logan wasn’t able to live up to such high expectations. And it obviously had nothing to do with the Calgary organization either, as they’re the home of so many superstars, but Gabriel just wasn’t able to live up to the prestige. What could’ve been, a top line two way forward for Calgary for years to come. After having so many seasons of consistent goaltending from Hunter, having a guy who can lock up opposing teams top players all game would’ve been vital for the next Calgary dynasty.
Code:
161 words

Task 4
Not necessarily a rule change, but I think the switch from STHS to FHM was a much needed one. While I lived through the SHL in the STHS years, everyone has pretty much mastered it and found all the loopholes around it. It became a one dimensional system where all players were the same and too many players reached their cap and were the exact same players. With FHM, players must decide what type of player they want to be, and have more of the advance attributes to contribute to their style of play. No longer are all players the same, but all players have their own special style. This also adds a level of dynamic to the management of each team now, as each head office needs to assess their players, assess their styles and try to match them to get the best chemistry. Not only this, since each player has so long to get to their full cap, they hit regression before they do so most of the time, so managers now need to have a farm team ready at all times to keep their competitive window at all times, and not rely on the same players for 30 seasons.
Code:
202 words

Task 6
A) A cup in the FHM era would be more important to me, but that’s just cause of what I was able to accomplish in the STHS era. I felt as if I did everything I ever needed to as a player and as a goaltender. I won cups and individual awards, but none in the FHM era. So it’s time for the Wong dynasty to conquer FHM.
Code:
67 words

B) Honestly probably, those 4 teams were the final 4 last year, and if it weren’t for certain placements of some teams and powerhouses going against each other earlier than wanted, then the best 4 teams would’ve been in the final 4 again. We have the same finals as last year, so if it could’ve happened if certain seeding happened, then I think the same final 4 could have happened.
Code:
69 words

C) In my opinion, while I think the Vancouver Whalers are a long storied franchise in the SHL, I think they first need to be relocated to Victoria, and then give Vancouver the SHL team they deserve. They have proved year in and year out their dedication to Vancouver. The “Toronto” of the West should have a team in the pros, and give Western Canada their pro team, and not force them to cheer for Alberta’s Edmonton.
Code:
76 words

D) I’m just going to say Ethan Duncan from the Platoon. He had 75 points in season 61, and 83 points in season 62, which helped him finished 9th and 10th respectively. In the playoffs, Duncan had 16 points in 15 games in season 62 and 13 points in 18 games in season 61, and unfortunately, he was not able to help his team make it to the finals.
Code:
68 words

[Image: 53381_s.gif]

[Image: 49370_s.gif]

[Image: uKp7Piy.png]

Code:
1. Team Canada , Benjamin Wong 1 (Jay McDonald) at 8:49
first ever Canadian Olympic goal

12 (3)

Claim 3 from milestones

1 (6)

Verification word: Cap

15 (8)

OH BOY HERE WE GO YET AGAIN IT IS YET AGAIN TIME FOR THE BEST PREDICTION AND IT IS ONE THAT HAPPENS EVERY SINGLE FUCKING SEASON BECAUSE IT IS TIME FOR ME TO SPAM USA ONE HUNDRED TIMES TO SHOWCASE HOW GREAT THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ARE AND HOW THE UNITED STATES ARE GOING TO WIN IT ALL IN THE INTERNATIONAL ICE HOCKEY FEDERATION AND EVEN THE WORLD JUNIORS CHAMPIONSHIP TOO BECAUSE THEY ARE THE UNITED STATES AND THE UNITED STATES ARE AWESOME AND I AM SO PROUD TO BE ON THIS AWESOME TEAM HELL YEAH BROTHER LET US GO UNITED STATES ONWARD TO VICTORY HELL YEAH

21 (10)

With the power invested in me by the powers of Head Office I hereby officially declare that @brickwall35 is hereby the new Point Task Director for all of eternity. I do this as to help build brick's resume because he deserves many amazing jobs and I think brick is like a bulldog that refuses to let things go and I appreciate that about him. So I want them to have to come up with new ideas to help fuel that amazing talent brick has because I needed a volunteer and brick would probably volunteer regardless so now it is up to him to figure out what comes next.

2 (13)

There have certainly been some good General Managers in the League but there have also been plenty of bad General Managers in the Simulation Hockey League history. While I do not know if I would say that they have mostly been bad and instead just potentially misguided, I would have to pick Esa as one of the best General Managers in Simulation Hockey League history. This is due to the unquestioning effort Esa put into everything such as his trades and his drafts. Esa would personally reach out to Simulation Major Junior Hockey League team General Managers as to find out the things that make each rookie special to get to know them more and that struck me as a great thing. And then you look at just how fucking amazing his goddamn playoffs record is and how his percentage of playoffs made versus seasons as head general manager and well then you lose your mind cause that shit is bonkers.

6a, 6b, 6c (16)

a. What is worth more to me, a Cup win in the Franchise Hockey Manager 6 era or the Simon The Hockey Simulator era, depends on what team the cup win was with. A Cup win in FHM while on Hamilton, Texas, Chicago, or Buffalo doesn't feel that special considering how many they have. So I think FHM on a team not one of those four.

b. To be honest I entirely feel that we would have seen the same final four should Buffalo and Hamilton not have met in the second round as well as Texas and Chicago as that is just a total obvious prediction to make. Like who on earth would say otherwise that is not just being a totally facetious person?

c. Hamilton does in fact have a population of 5 people so I would recommend moving them to somewhere in Kansas, like say maybe Topeka because that is about as thrilling as the games they play are so let us get them a town that would appreciate that boring nature for them just to be extra fitting.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 09:39 PM by marco999.)

1. Trivia + 3 TPE

Verification Word: kaapo

2. GM stands for Great Man + 3 TPE

I don't have an in-depth knowledge of SHL history, so I'm working based on what I know and what I experienced in my time in the league so far. I personally think that Keygan was an awesome GM, first of all because Edmonton traded for me back when I wasn't a max earner and I had little motivation towards SHL and my experience in the Blizzard locker room has been incredible and gave me the boost I needed to become a max earner, so it wouldn't have happened without Keygan. The people he had in the locker room are all really friendly and help create a welcoming atmosphere that has yet to go away, even under new management. The basis of a good team were build by Keygan and the Blizzard is well built for a good future, but maybe that falls under Boom rather than Keygan, but anyway. I think that anyone who trades for me wins the negotiations so it tilted the scale in his favor for sure.

170 words

6a) +1 TPE

i wasn't around back when SHL was using the STHS sim engine, but it seems like the FHM sim engine favors only the same teams, so perhaps it's more impressive to win a cup during the STHS era rather than FHM. From what I've heard, STHS was more unpredictable in its results, so you have to factor that in a bit.

61 words

6c) +1 TPE

Hamilton is considered a classic sports city in Canada, but I'm really sure I know way, it has always eluded me. If you want to keep it in Canada and you don't want to change the divisions too much, I think a city like Halifax would be a good choice, because hockey is big in the Maritimes and Halifax is worthy of a franchise.

64 words

12: Milestones + 3 TPE

Link

13: Parody + 3 TPE

I've been saying it for a while now (much like half of the user base or anyone not on a big four team), there's a parity issue in the SHL. It's crazy to think that ever since I joined the site in October 2020, there's been a grand total of four different teams in the Finals and that's over a span of five seasons. These dynasties have been around forever and something needs to change because rebuilds take too long and even then, it's no guarantee it's going to work. I think the regression changes could actually help in that regard, because won't be able to keep the same players for too long before regression hits, so hopefully more turnover in players means more turnover in top teams. Another thing that could help would be to change the sim engine. FHM6 as its limitations and it allows the GMs to take the hell out of their tactics, something that wouldn't be possible in say, FHM7 or FHM 8.

168 words

15: The yearly IIHF task + 2 TPE

I'm not really into IIHF or WJC, unless we're winning! Finland was pretty good last season, winning the Bronze medal, but we've lost some long time players, so that could potentially hurt our chances of winning another medal. However, we've added some new blood that could make an impact immediately. I think our chances of defending our bronze medal are good, but I don't think it's a guarantee, because there are a lot of good teams out there fighting for only three medals. We could also make a run for a gold or a silver medal, but I think the chances are slim because some teams are just too tough to beat, but I'm hoping for the best! Let's go Finland!

121 words

Total TPE: 16/16

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification Word: Jam

+ 3 | 3 Total

WSBL Affiliate +9 (3 Different Task) 

+ 9 | 12 Total 

Milestones + 3

+ 3 | 15 Total TPE

1. 3 TPE
Verified

2. 3 TPE
I am not in the league for a long time, only a S56 first create. But I heard some stories already. Mostly head scratching stories about GMs or management of various different teams. In my time in the SHL, I have been to only one SHL team, which is the Atlanta Inferno. This team is a expansion team from not too long ago, in fact I was the very first pick ever of that franchise. That alone makes hotdog one of the best GMs probably, right? The locker room he built in Atlanta over the years is just outstanding. The success hopfully comes soon too, but he did very well in the drafts to get to the successful time sooner than later. There are various players near the TPE leaders of their respective classes on that team, and he always seem to get users who fit nicely into the locker room also. With goldenglutes as his co, he has a perfect partner - they both deserve the honor to being called awesome GMs.

4. 3 TPE
We have some tought times right now, activity goes down in recent times in sim leagues. In between we just made a rule change that affects the league in long term. Regression was overhauled big, putting an end to drag players for several seasons into regression and still being viable. This change is still to see how it will pan out, but in general the rule change is good. You spent 3 in real life years on a single player if you wanted to, which is just way too much in my opinion. I'm still a bit torn on that matter, as I just started growing into a really helpful player and developing near the best I can perform at the moment. Now there is not much time until I start into regression. Which restricts my time of being a league great for a quite significant time. It will also be interesting to see how Hall of Fame will be handled with the way shorter careers players will have now.

12. 2 TPE
Milestones

13. 3 TPE
Oh man, parity is dead. But for real, the changes to regression should at least in theory take care of it - at least to some extend. Players are regressing much earlier now, than they did for the eternety of the league so far. This means, you can't build powerhouses of teams for several seasons now. For sure it could happen that the typical teams stay on top of the league, but with those changes it makes it at least a little bit harder. If you manage to get the best free agents year in and year out, you probably are still on top of the league, but it means more work from now on to be that successful. At least in theory, as I said. I don't know much about the sim, so I'm not sure how much strategy and tactics mean to that game. But every team should have a fairer playground now, with people regressing faster. If that still doesn't change anything, we have to think about something else. But I think we could give that change at least 3-5 seasons until we see, if anything has changed.

14. 3 TPE
Have you took a look at New England Wolfpack lately? I mean the situation is a little bit different, as they don't really have the chance to sell off all their assets as they are running away in free agency or even just retire, but that team is destined to start off a long rebuild. I don't spend much time around the league, but that's what I heard and saw with some of the top free agents on the market this offseason. If you are New England, you have to get lucky and find a good general manager first, who is willing to put in a lot of work and time to build up this team to a successful one. You can clean the house that is left, pick up some good draft picks and try to start over new. I don't know their roster, so not sure how much needs to be done, but probably a lot. The most important thing would be to find a GM at first. They have a lot of turnover at that position over the last few seasons, if my mind is right here.

[Image: CcmpTg8.png][Image: sakro_-_withecheck_-_Inferno.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 05:47 PM by Gaia Mormont.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max

code word: Chesterfield

2. Written, 3 TPE, GM stands for Great Man (150 words min.)

The best GM I ever had was probably the GM that was my very first when I was but a wee baby faced ragamuffin when I joined so long ago.  This dude took a chance on a nobody who came into the league not knowing a thing about anything related to the site and was patient enough to coach me the ways.  I don’t even think I had internet in my apartment that first season so my updating was sketchy at best.  And I didn’t really understand updating at that time to be perfectly honest.  Buuut somehow we won a cup that first season I played for the Seattle Riot.  I say it was the great tactical genius by the coach and the assistant GM as well who guided the way to that miracle win of the Challenge cup.  Someday a movie will be made of that incredible season filled with fighting, frivolity and fastidiousness and that was just in our own locker room.  Ha!  Those were good times.  The name of that movie would be GOB.

3. Written, 3 TPE, Draft Busts (150 words min.)

Oh man!  SOOOOO many draft busts in all my time on the site.  I’ve seen a lot in my days.  So many come and go so fast but every once in awhile there’s a player and user that catches your eye and you’re like damn... this kid gonna make it.  And then... BOOM.  Disappear.  Or get banned or whatever, but I think the biggest bust that I thought of first when I read this prompt was that of King.  He was in my draft class with my last player (that’s a long time ago can’t remember the season. Don’t feel like looking.)  He was drafted first overall and was so hyped up.  The dude wrote media constantly and did graphics daily.  Everyone was like... whoa with this guy. He amassed a huge bank account in only a few seasons and was a top earner.  He was EVERYWHERE.  Got drafted first overall and the poof.  Up and vanished like a fart in the wind.  Always kinda wonder what his player would have been like if he had lived up the the potential.  Then sometimes I don’t.

6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

A. I think a cup win in either era would have been fantastic but I have to say right now a cup win in the FHM era would be the greatest because I haven’t won one yet so it would mean I WIN THE CUP SOON and that is why. But the cups I won in Simon were pretty great. Never not appreciate my rings.

B. I think thinking about what-ifs hurts my head so I’m just gonna go with the thought (ow) that the team that won was the team that probably deserved to win.  It wasn’t Hamilton so I got my dang predictions wrong.  Cost me a dang TPE.  Dang Hamilton being so good but not the best. Also... Congrats Texas.  *spoilers

C. I would relocate Hamilton to San Francisco.  I don’t really have any reason other than that’s the first city that popped into my head when I tried to think of a city. Seems legit though.  The San Francisco Trumpets.  Because I heard it blows there.  I mean the wind. And the homeless problem.  And walking up all the hills.

D. Ryuuji Minamino is obviously the best player to not make the finals in the past few seasons.  He personally lead Chicago in a dominating season leading them to an absolutely fantastic year but then FHM came along and was like no... we’re actually gonna go another way this year and he and the Syndicate got denied so hard.  Feelz bad man but I think they will do well next year.

13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)

I think a way to get rid of the parity that we’ve been seeing since FHM was made the engine of choice is to significantly raise the cap space for teams.  This might make a team able to buy a good player for a lot of money and it might sway said player from going to the “best” team just to make some coin.  I don’t know.  I’ve been saying lately that I miss the randomness of Simon T.  FHM the most stacked team will win and that’s where all the good players want to go.  But what if a team like Seattle for example was like...’Dude, I’ll offer you 15 million to come play here’  I think a lot of people could be bought to play for different teams and thus spreading the wealth of talent in the league.  I’m just saying I would go play for a team who offered me 15 mill than I would for Hamilton even though they may win the cup next year.

[Image: wLeEjGc.jpeg]

1. pee
a. A cup win in the FHM era means more to me than a cup win in the STHS era, mainly because of the difficulty compared to the previous era. STHS was incredibly random, and that made it a lot easier to pick up and throw things together in the hope that they would somehow work. With the FHM heavyweights in sim knowledge, a skill in the sim and in team building is necessary.
b. I believe that it would have been a final four of essentially the same teams. Thanks to the way the seeding worked, they ran into each other in the 2nd round, giving some other teams opportunity in the Conference Finals. Unfortunately nobody was able to capitalize and we have this very rare and unique matchup in the Final.
c. I would relocate the team to Brampton, Ontario? Why would I relocate Hamilton to Brampton, you may ask? Because it was home to the Brampton Battalion, an OHL team with some pretty sick branding, and I always liked playing in Brampton when I did my career mode in the NHL video games. So Hamilton gets moved to Brampton, becoming the Brampton Battalion again.
d. The best player to not make the final in the past couple of seasons would have to be Strom Chamberlain. Despite his choking ways at times in the playoffs, Chamberlain is a goaltender that has helped lead his team to great records and playoff run attempts over the past few seasons, only to run straight into the juggernauts of the league during the playoffs. He will get there soon, though.
12. https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3152505
13. I think it that this could be fixed with adjustments to the cap and contracts. The entirety of both Buffalo's and Hamilton's lineups are, for the most part, players at or above around 1600 TPE. The fact that they can make lineups with players to that extent with the cap should not be happening. I believe the first step would be lowering the salary cap in the league. While this could also hurt other teams, it would cause teams like Hamilton and Buffalo to be unable to hoard that level of talent. Contract wise, I think there are two solutions to the issue. The first step is to either outright remove hometown discounts, or at least lower the number a team can have from 2 to 1. The second would be to either add more TPE tiers that require higher salary, or increase the minimum salary on the already existing TPE tiers. All of these would make it so teams could not simply hoard talent as they do now with these 1600+ TPE players on cheap contracts
19. I would actually make a casino bet this season before it starts, with the massive payout parlay where I predict all teams finishing correctly, and correctly predicting who finishes dead last, wins the Cup, in how many games, and all of that. I would also do that in my season predictions so I could max earn in the proper manner. I would also try and drop hints as to how I know my information regarding the future on the forums over the course of the season, just to mess with people. Some people would probably just assume I was pessimistically assuming that Hamilton and Texas would meet again, but they would be brought to the light when I posted the exact results of the Final, to include Texas blowing a 4-1 lead in the 3rd in Game 5, and Texas winning it all in Game 7. I would take my many millions and TPE level into the next season, laughing all the way.

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 05:44 PM by Leppish.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Blebbo

Code:
a. What is worth more to you, a cup win in the FHM era or the STHS era?
b. Be honest, would we have seen the same final 4 as last year (Chicago, Texas, Hamilton, Buffalo) had BUF/HAM and TEX/CHI not run into each other in the second round?
c. Hamilton has a population of roughly 5 people. Where would you relocate the franchise?
d. Who is the best player to NOT make the final in the past 2 years?

A. STHS era before the um, hamilton thing. I loved that even middle of the pack teams could surprise and make it to the finals. I had the pleasure of making it with Minnesota to the conference finals a few times despite being a team that wasnt at the top. Same with the Platoon before that.

B. Probably, its gotten stale as heck not gonna lie. I miss the days of seeing surprise teams in the finals or even making it deep in the playoffs. Predictions and brackets have become easy TPE now for everyone who pays a fraction of attention to the league. Maybe it will get better, at least i hope it will.

C. I would love to see a team in New Jersey, but thats just cause im a devils fan IRL. Arizona/Phoenix would also be sweet. Maybe Vegas or Kansas City. Im not really good at coming up with relocations or rebrands but theres a bunch of locations more interesting than Hamilton out there.

D. Definitely a homer answer but i'd say Guy Zheng, that man has been a beast for the Atlanta inferno since arriving here shortly after the expansion. He's getting up there with his career as well and would be cool to see him win the cup with the only good team he has been on during his career.

Code:
12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

Milestones

[Image: lebbish.gif]

1. Champions

a) Actually I really do not care in which era to win cup. Winning cup always is a achievement player wants to reach and no matter what situation league is in it. Your name will go down in history
b) For sure, yeah. I think we would have seen all four of these teams in semi-finals like it was last season. For now these four teams are the best teams in the league, and only unlucky situation lead to that that all four teams did not reached semi-finals this season (52 words)

12. Milestone Week

15. My prediction for this seasons IIHF tournament is that there is not one favourite team. For now Canada and USA are in front of the table but Sweden looks good in offence. Then again they still need to work out some problems in defence but I think it will be done till play-offs. USA and Japan have good defence. So there are more than one or two teams that will fight for gold. I think Sweden vs USA would be dream final for this seasons IIHF tournament and I think Sweden will win the championship. Last seasons champions Great Britain is playing bad for now but maybe they will turn up going into play-offs (116 words)

18. That is an interesting thing. So with Janis Lux from Latvia, there would be John Lux from United Kingdom, Johnny Lux from USA, Johan Lux from Germany, Jonas Lux from Sweden. John would be two-way center, Johnny would be goal scoring right winger, Johan would be attacking oriented left defender and Jonas would be attack oriented right defender. They all would end up in Great Falls Grizzlies for their time in SMJHL. Grizzlies would be great place to grow and no doubt they have good future in like next four or five seasons. For SHL they could split that is for sure. I will not mind if all five my players would play in five different teams in SHL it would be bigger chance that at least one of my players win the cup in SHL. But I will not mind if all five would end up in one SHL team, all five could play in one line-up. (160 words)

20. After joining SHL I joined PBE and ISFL. Played PBE and ISFL for some time (both around three seasons), but I ended my time there. Reason for that is simple, took too much time to do all three of these. And overall I think SHL is better than those two leagues. Overall look and all managing is easier. Colours look nice too here in SHL compared to PBE and ISFL. And one other thing why I did not like ISFL and PBE is that I am not a fan of american football and baseball. Then again these two leagues are good if you understand baseball and american football. Why I joined if I do not understand baseball and american football? I just wanted to try something new and heard in teams lockerrooms that those two leagues are not that bad. Overall those two leagues did not work for me, at all (151 words)

16 TPE

Drafted 59th Overall in SMJHL S58 draft by Anchorage Armada
Drafted 9th in SMJHL S60 expansion draft by Great Falls Grizzlies
Drafted 36th Overall in SHL S59 draft by Calgary Dragons

[Image: lux2.png]

Trivia - Pineapples - 3 TPE

Milestones -  2 TPE

Quote:6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

Since I wasn't around in the STHS era, and don't even know what the acronym stands for, I'm going to go with FHM. I would assume each 'game' has their own advantages and disadvantages, but in the end it all seems pretty random. All you can really do is try and make your player competitive and see what happens.

Quote:b. Be honest, would we have seen the same final 4 as last year (Chicago, Texas, Hamilton, Buffalo) had BUF/HAM and TEX/CHI not run into each other in the second round?

Not even worth the thought, because they DID run into each other, and what happened happened. The good teams are good, and that's just the way it is. I've seen a lot of narratives about how boring it is that the same teams are winning. Build a good team and beat them then!

Quote:c. Hamilton has a population of roughly 5 people. Where would you relocate the franchise?

The Moon. The Lunar Steelhawks. Tell me that isn't the best name you've heard, and I'll show you a liar. Not only is the name out of this world, but you can slap a space helmet ontop of the bird in branding. If that's not a win-win, I don't know what else you want from me.

Quote:d. Who is the best player to NOT make the final in the past 2 years?

Katth has had a ridiculous player that he's been fighting regression on. Barry Batsbak deserves a ridiculous run before he rides off into retirement. Watching how hard he works to keep his player relevant for the benefit of the team is pretty special. Hopefully we can improve enough to get there before he's gone. - 4 TPE

Quote:16. Graphic, 3 TPE, Onto the next
Design a season preview for your team/player next season. Highlight a stat you upgraded/will upgrade, or a player your team will call up from juniors. Make it snazzy.

[Image: EFqSxlb.png] - 3 TPE

Quote:17. Graphic, 3 TPE, Clairvoyant
You have been granted the gift of seeing the future, but only a single future cup winner. Relay us with this info in the form of a cup banner for the winning team. Make sure to include the season they won, you can make up some player names if it's far out in the future. Have fun with it! It could be your team if you want, with you as the star! We won't know if you're lying until SXX anyway.

[Image: 9EZlVaR.png] - 3 TPE

Quote:21. Written, 2 TPE, No take backs 100 words min
HO didn't feel like making a job posting for PT Director so they just put you in charge of picking the new one. So elect a new PT director, tag them, and explain why you think they'd be a great fit for the job. Or just someone you want to torture.

I'm overtly masochistic, so I'll nominate myself the PT director. I have absolutely no desire or drive to do the job, so I'd be an absolutely terrible fit. I'm not sure what they make money wise, but I guarentee it isn't enough. I'd phone it in with simple prompts about hockey and your player, embracing more of a roleplay vibe. I'd give a free writing prompt one week a season for 500 words. Literally write anything to do with the league for 5 TPE and $4 million, or whatever is enough to cover max training for the entire season. You're welcome. - 2 TPE

Total 16

[Image: Skyphin.gif]

[Image: pxjucze.png]     [Image: I3BTEQc.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png]     [Image: 3Kip7R0.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 07:37 PM by O4L.)

Code:
kdone

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE, GM stands for Great Man (150 words min.)
There have been some good and some bad GMs in SHL history. (Mostly bad) Pick a GM you think was outstanding and explain why you think they were one of the better GMs in SHL history. Point to trades/signings/trophy wins/locker rooms to support your claim.

One GM who is often forgotten about is Kari Barkov. Some would call Barkov legendary well others would call him decent and others like Schultzy would write weekly articles criticizing his every move because he signed away Hamiltons only good player and ruined Schultzy's chance at having a decent career. Personally, I believe Kari Barkov is the best GM to ever GM in the SHL, Kari Barkov still ranks in the top 25 in head GM wins while his GM career only lasted 10 seasons due to stepping aside for the next star GM in Esa Anrikkanen. If you go back and look at the early days of the Dragons they had one of the most aging, regressing rosters in SHL history and had pretty much no prospects in the pipeline due to the organization going all in pretty much every season the last 10 seasons. Kari was able to rebuild an aging roster without ever missing the play-offs during his first 6 seasons even while playing 300 tpe players on the top line and turning the Dragons into a Latvian mafia. Unfortunately, Kari played in the same division as the S10s biggest dynasty in the Blizzard and even though they took the Blizzard to two B07s the STHS gods did not like Kari so they did not win, it was a lot like the Flames of the 80s playing the Oilers, unfortunately the Blizzard traded away Braden Carlzner so they didn't have a Steve Smith to gift the Dragons a free cup. Kari would resurfance as CO-GM of the Chicago Syndicate and helped guide the expansion org to a cup. If you add up Kari's total record as a head and co-gm he likely has one of the best win rates in SHL history but i'm too lazy to do that. Anyway, he's the GOAT.

'
Code:
b. Be honest, would we have seen the same final 4 as last year (Chicago, Texas, Hamilton, Buffalo) had BUF/HAM and TEX/CHI not run into each other in the second round?
c. Hamilton has a population of roughly 5 people. Where would you relocate the franchise?
d. Who is the best player to NOT make the final in the past 2 years?
a. I mean this depends completely on what your idea of "worth" is? Is it winning a cup by spending 500 hours test simming a season and having your cult of a team that you developed by friends tampering friends build completely in the same way to min max your chance of winning? Or is it making smart trades and moves at the right time, trying to put a better team on the ice every season, drafting and developing from teams all over the SMJHL and developing a team that random people want to be a part of that know none of your players? In a way it's harder to win a cup now because there's more teams and more time needs to be put in, but to me the STHS cups are more valuable because it was much more of a realistic hockey sim with more actual skill needed to win a cup AND getting lucky instead of whatever the hell it's become where you min max your entire roster into free cups. .

SHL changed to being too cult like for my liking, it takes most of the skill out of being a GM and the randomness of hockey out of hockey. It's not really even a hockey sim anymore, just a broken game where everyone knows the cheat code and it's just a matter of getting the most people on your team to implement the cheat code. That's fine if that's what you like, but it's no longer anything resembling hockey.

b. Yes, these are the 4 best teams build wise and the four best groups when it comes to FHM knowledge. It'll probably be the same 4 teams in the final 4 10 seasons from now too, probably 20 seasons as well until the league actually takes a seriously look at what the problems are with the league and attempts to make real changes to the base of the league.
c. I wouldn't relocate. Steelhawks is a bad name and rebranding as the Hamilton Hotdogs which is something they should've done 30 seasons ago would greatly help their popularity in the league and give them a much better logo than whatever they have now. There's way more potential and uniqueness with the Hotdog name than there is with the Steelhawks name.
d. This is pretty obviously Parker Smeb, the legendary Syndicate defensemen was tragically cut by the Syndicate prior to the season due to cap issues in a move that would ultimately doom them to missing the finals due to his brother refusing to ever coach the team again until Parker returns home. Parker took a backseat on the Syndicate the last few seasons to the younger players but returned to being a top pairing d-man with the Pride and put up 45 points.

Code:
12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones

Code:
13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)
hahahahahaha remember this task from last season? The one where everyone was like "nah we're good, tampa and BAP will be in the finals soon and you'll see that the old guard will make way for the new young teams". Now that we have the exact same fucking teams in the final again, let me ask, is parity an issue in the SHL? How do we combat this?
You don't combat this on modern SHL. You need to start implementing caps on players you can have on your roster drafted from the same SMJHL team and force more player movement, and cap players per team with the same strengths/weaknesses and make those strengths/weaknesses more strict and even at that point it might not work, but at that point it becomes further and further away from what hockey is. The truth is FHM is broken and completely unfixable and the fixes that people have for it are short term fixes that won't fix anything in the long-term because as long as there's a broken attribute, the teams that care enough to abuse the system will continue to abuse it by building in a cult like fashion to give themselves their best chance to win even if the cups they win truly have no value beyond we abused the system better than you. We need a better hockey engine and all the testing people said they were going to do with FHM before we made the switch was very basic, we should've spent more time before we made such a move, if we had 10 people testing for 2 seasons and testing every possible broken thing then this would've been seen before we made the switch. But we had too many people in power who were excited about changing engines because they thought FHM would be more "fun" even though it's even more broken, abuseable min/maxable and time consuming than STHS was.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

1) ISFL sim Affiliate

12 TPE

2) CW trivia - verification word “slurp”
3 TPE

3) Milestones
Milestones
3 TPE

[Image: vikian.gif]