Create Account

A Look at the SMJHL Draft Class (Part I)
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2022, 01:38 PM by RainDelay.)

With the SMJHL Draft scheduled for... *checks notes*... sometime soon, I figured now is an excellent time to take a look at the players who are eligible to be drafted. What kind of class will this be? Only time will tell. There are not too many draft-eligible players, but perhaps this is a quality over quantity draft. We'll see. Hopefully at least a couple of diamonds separate themselves from the rough.

Anyways, let's get into it! I'll be tagging people because I want to create some engagement within this class. Let's make it a good one!

Name: Patches the III
Position: LD
Generation: Recreate
Birthplace/IIHF: Gothenburg, Sweden Sweden

The earliest prospect to register for the draft is a recreate from user Big Newff. Newff is an SMJHL Intern, and actually just approved my own player. Having a job of this nature signals interest in helping the league grow and being a long term presence within it. He has created an update thread and claimed 15 TPE to this point, and has made a graphics submission. The activity level coupled with a league job would make this 6'11 defenseman a top target for any SMJHL franchise. I would expect Patches to be a star of this class.

Name: Gregory Hemingway
Generation: Newgen
Birthplace/IIHF: Boston, MA Usa

Our next prospect created his player on Feb. 4th, visited the site on Feb. 8th, and has not been back since. It is a shame, as good defensemen go a long way. I cannot really speak too much about this player or user, because they have ghosted us, but it's never too late to come back. @Pezell56x , if you're out there and interested in returning, we'd love to hear from you!

Name: Isabella Bouchard
Position: G
Birthplace/IIHF: Canada Canada

Another recreate, and this time it is a goalie. Unfortunately, @thevoicelesscreator has not done much with this character since creation. They have been active enough to have 235 posts on the site, and I recognize them (I think?) from the ISFL... maybe? Goalie can be a tough position to measure up in, and that might make falling behind a tough hill to climb for Bouchard. No update thread, nothing claimed. Hopefully they come back!

Name: Dennis Derpigotinger
Birthplace/IIHF: Massachusetts, USA Usa

This newgen might have some potential. The user @kingstoni got off to an auspicious start on this site, as their first post was a thread about the SMJHL cup that was eerily similar to a video by YouTube creator UrinatingTree. That being said, always get paid! Dennis is a Valor recruit, and was active yesterday, so hopefully they stick around. They have created an update thread, but have not used it yet. I get that there's not much to do right this second, but the site visit yesterday suggests they may not have completely forgotten about the SHL. I wouldn't write this defenseman off just yet.

Name: Tom Taylor
Birthplace/IIHF: Tokyo, Japan Japan

Aside from Patches, Tom Taylor looks to be the first prospect I've seen so far with real potential. Taylor has created an update thread, claimed all 3 activity checks since creation, has completed the newbie point task and even did the DFA bounty to get some money. He seems to be committed enough to improving. He also has Discord ID in profile, and that is a good sign as well. He has claimed and banked 13 TPE. There have been a bunch of Left Defenseman to sign up, but I think Taylor can at least separate himself from some others in the pack. @TomTaylor , welcome to the league!

Name: Marty Sanderson III
Position: RW
Birthplace/IIHF: Grand Forks, BC, Canada Canada

Finally, a forward. @Finch 's player Marty Sanderson III might have some potential. He has been on the site as of yesterday, created an update thread, and claimed the most recent activity check. These are all good signs. He hasn't been a world-beater in terms of activity, but as I said before, I get it. It's a bit dry now. He seems to have a friendly rivalry with someone in their create a player thread, so that's interesting. Since they are sorta active and have set things up seemingly OK, I would expect and hope that Marty Sanderson could be a decent pick in this draft.

Name: Jolmi Koivu
Position: RW
Birthplace/IIHF: Canada Canada

Alright, here we go. Our first "Blue Chip" prospect of this class. @Good_Ole_Kimmy is a recreate and a pretty respected member around the site. He is also on the All Star Committee. With his activity level, I would expect that Koivu would have no trouble establishing himself as a force in the SMJHL and then in the SHL later on. He has expectedly done the things that are necessary to set himself up for this draft, and is taking part in SHL Fantasy for this season as well. A very good player from a very good user, expect Koivu to go high in the draft.

Name: Aleksandr Iskandrov
Position: C
Birthplace/IIHF: Moscow, Russia Russia

Now we have back to back strong recreates. @dmuda11 is another active user who is expected to come back firing with his recreate. Iskandrov is a Russian center who is notable for his puckhandling, but also his strength and checking. A menace in all zones, Iskandrov's brute force might be able to set him apart from other centers and forwards in general. As far as the user is concerned, he has claimed all three activity checks but has yet to make an update thread. I'm sure that will change. I expect Iskandrov to be towards the top of the class.

Name: Din Djarin
Position: LW
Birthplace/IIHF: Aq Vetina (Star Wars?)

Djarin is a recreate from user @jsteele14 , and his Star Wars background makes for a unique character for sure. JSteele has been active since recreating, claiming all three activity checks and completing two DFA bounties. This makes him an attractive candidate for SMJHL GMs to take a flyer on. His first player was not very successful, but the way that Djarin has returned, it seems like he may be on to a good one. As a fellow Left Wing, I want our position group to be strong this draft class, so keep it up!

Name: Reed Kobo
Position: LW
Birthplace/IIHF: Tijuana, Mexico (IIHF?)

Speaking of strong Left Wings... @Toivo 's recreate should be leading the charge here. Toivo is a well-known and respected member, and has enjoyed plenty of success with his old players, players that I even remember from my last go-around on the site. Any locker room would be lucky to bring him in, and I think GMs know this. I expect Kobo to be a solid player and active earner, as I'd expect nothing less from Toivo.

What better place to end Part I than on a high note?

With only around half of the prospects looked at so far, here is how I'd currently rank them.

1. LW Reed Kobo
2. RW Jolmi Koivu
3. C Aleksander Iskandrov
4. LW Din Djarin
5. LD Patches III
6. LD Tom Taylor
7. RW Marty Sanderson III
8. LD Dennis Derpigotinger (semi-active)
9. G Isabella Bouchard (inactive)
10. LD Gregory Hemmingway (inactive)

Stay tuned for Part II!

RD out.

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]

(Once I figure out how to tag people with a space in their name, I'll fix Newff's tag.)

TVC is definitely active in the draft class Discord. Also, this doesn’t include DFAs, who may be high-value picks in the draft.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2022, 02:09 PM by RainDelay.)

02-23-2022, 02:00 PMboom Wrote: TVC is definitely active in the draft class Discord. Also, this doesn’t include DFAs, who may be high-value picks in the draft.

Out of curiosity, where would I find DFAs?
And while we're at it, the draft class Discord.

02-23-2022, 02:09 PMRainDelay Wrote:
02-23-2022, 02:00 PMboom Wrote: TVC is definitely active in the draft class Discord. Also, this doesn’t include DFAs, who may be high-value picks in the draft.

Out of curiosity, where would I find DFAs?
DFAs are scattered across the various SMJHL teams, you can quickly find them by looking at the SMJHL Roster Transactions forum. I can PM you the Discord link.

02-23-2022, 02:26 PMboom Wrote:
02-23-2022, 02:09 PMRainDelay Wrote: Out of curiosity, where would I find DFAs?
DFAs are scattered across the various SMJHL teams, you can quickly find them by looking at the SMJHL Roster Transactions forum. I can PM you the Discord link.

Thank you sir

02-23-2022, 02:38 PMRainDelay Wrote:
02-23-2022, 02:26 PMboom Wrote: DFAs are scattered across the various SMJHL teams, you can quickly find them by looking at the SMJHL Roster Transactions forum. I can PM you the Discord link.

Thank you sir
ma’am but much appreciated Smile

02-23-2022, 02:39 PMboom Wrote:
02-23-2022, 02:38 PMRainDelay Wrote: Thank you sir
ma’am but much appreciated Smile

Sorry about that, my bad! :D

There's only a handful of DFAs, but there are some heavy hitters in the group you didn't get to mention!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

02-23-2022, 02:47 PMhhh81 Wrote: There's only a handful of DFAs, but there are some heavy hitters in the group you didn't get to mention!

Don’t worry, there’s a part 2 coming tomorrow with everyone else! I didn’t even mention myself

an awesome article so far!!

[Image: qlfNSs6.png][Image: tfifKNV.png]
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

[Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png]

[Image: jO2Di2N.png][Image: jO2Di2N.png]

WOO! Top 5! I'll take it!

[Image: jsteele1423.gif]
[Image: dOfqg1T.png]
[Image: lhZ3TTV.png]
[Image: QwTZD8C.png] [Image: uJXrVDL.png]
Click my logo below to see me LIVE on Twitch!
[Image: vNTwVv3.png]

Nice! I guess I joined this site on time. Guess I'll be included in part 2.