S64 PT#0: Read the Room

ISFL Affiliate

PBE PT

[Image: rankle.gif]
[Image: 9rbVE0N.png]

Barracuda Chomp Chomp Water Dog Barracuda
Scarecrows Scarecrow Noises Scarecrows
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

To start, I do want to thank Slash for all of his work as PT director. It’s not a job I would ever do and while I may not have been the biggest fan of a lot of his prompts, I appreciate all the work he did, and the double prompt idea was incredible. He also worked with me when the identity theft PT was a thing and for that I will always be grateful. In terms of what I like out of PT’s, I tend to always pick the more basic hockey one. I’m not really much of a creative writer and I usually just churn out 150 words on hockey during work so I can do the PT, but when it came to stuff like different pills I would get stuck since I didn’t really know where to go with it. I think as long as the two different options stick around people will be happy with PT’s. Also abolish CW since I don’t have a CW pass anymore.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

For me, I think PT's will always be considered a chore. That said, I don't think it's impossible to make them engaging and fun. I always struggle with the ones about "in past seasons" or "this specific Hamilton team...how would you have made them better/worse" because I'm not fully aware of the history of the league and which players were good/bad as I'm recently new to the site (S58). I do enjoy the ones that require some creative thinking as it's easier to spit up 150 words on a funny or entertaining topic where my mind can go wild. Those ones also allow me to better get into my character's mindset (a college mascot who's come to life), which makes the whole experience more immersive. I really liked when Slash added the choose your own adventure with a creative/fun PT option as well as your typical boring/old school PT. Even though I prefer the creative ones, sometimes my brain just isn't in the mood for a story, so I'd rather spit out some stats and puke up boring mumbo jumbo to fill up the 150 words. I realize this will use up twice as many TPEs twice as fast, so I won't fault you if you get away from that system.

[Image: puddlesoduck2.gif]

PT Pass

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

PT pass cause I know what I want from myself.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022, 12:50 PM by academydropout.)

I'm a character writer, so I want PTs to give me scope to develop my player character. I'm not a big fan of the sport, so it's sometimes difficult to write about the game itself, and that can make some PTs tricky. Probably why I go for affiliate stuff a lot of the time. But yeah I guess in general, I just want to write about the character in whatever way comes to mind at any given time. Sure that's what media is for, but I feel like media is more of a self-contained thing, and I take my time writing for that. PTs, in my opinion, should be short blurbs you can throw out without *too* much effort, you know? In an ideal world I would be able to write like 200 words on my character, in whatever way I want to explore some aspect of his personality (even if that was from a selection of prompts, if necessary) and get my TPE. But I also realise that this would be open to abuse and so on so I don't expect it. PT director or whatever the job title is seems like a proper ballache tbh so don't sweat it. Just put up a prompt and I'm sure I'll figure something out, it's all good.

ISFL: 37thchamber

UpdatesPlayer Page
The Journey

6,000 mile road#DidItForDildo1,700 miles more
A Silver Road

Drought Ender, Curse Breaker, Firebird

I enjoy writing these PTs. A 150 word minimum is perfect. Makes people actually put some effort into what they’re writing without making them have to write paragraphs. I just really enjoy the way the SHL works for earning TPE. Having a bunch of “mini tasks” to look forward to every week is pretty cool to me.
Coming from the VHL you have specific tasks you need to do every week, you come up with the ideas, and it’s pretty boring honestly. I’m used to writing 1000+ word articles every week or two weeks and it gets really exhausting and made me burn out. The fact that the SHL makes up the ideas and tells the people what to do is awesome in my opinion. No burnout possible and everyone can just relax and take a couple minutes out of their day to do tasks for the week.

Code:
Written Task: Tell me what you enjoy from PTs and the PT department! (150 words minimum) What kind of prompts do you love? What do you want to see more of? Are PTs a chore that you won't find fun or engaging no matter what they are? I think getting a vibe from all of you will help me settle in and plot my course forward, so why not award a little TPE for it.

Point tasks have always been an absolutely chore. Since the word limit has been dropped to 150 words it has gotten slightly better though. Generally speaking I don't mind doing the cookiecutter PT, just write some bull about my stats or whatever else my player has gotten up to in his life. The more unique tasks are nice, but I am also not always in a very creative writing mood, so I personally do not mess with those too often. As I said though, it is nice to have these options and offer something more fun to users who in some cases have had to do the same 10 prompts for 8 irl years now lol. I do not really have any suggestions for prompts to be added or what I would like to see more of. I think I might look a bit more into these unique tasks this season try and spice things up a bit. See what they are all about.

[164 words]

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

Odds are here that I probably jumped way too deep into a rush, only to turn the puck over and cause a scoring chance which led to a goal. I'll never apologize for the idea, but I will apologize for fucking up the execution and strive to do better. I'm reckless, I love going on the offensive from the blueline, it's my bread and butter. I'll simply make up for it by choosing my spot better, either deferring to a teammate or just putting the puck on net and letting them swarm the crease like an angry locust. Offensive defenders are among the most criticized people on the ice because their fuckups are much, much more noticeable, but I like to think I'm good at owning up to my errors and ensuring that my team is in its best possible position to not only win, but win in style by scoring goals.

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

Hi Dan I am so excited to see what exciting things you will bring to the PT world! My favorite kinds of PTs are ones that I can use to develop my player as a character. Everybody probably knows by now that I am obnoxiously into writing narrative about my players; I think I topped out around 60K words or something with Gunnar and I'm intending to get the narrative started even earlier with Lias than I did the first time around, so I really look forward to prompts that will make me think about my player as a person and really get into the details of internal monologue and motivation and all that good stuff. I actually generally enjoy doing PTs as long as they give me something interesting to write about creatively; I get a little bored with PTs that are purely stats-based but as long as there's room for me to be creative, I usually enjoy them.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

PT Pass

[Image: awesomecakes.gif]
[Image: beautifulphoenix.gif]

Yeah, thanks Slash. Thanks for everyone who has a league job. We need you. But to the point: I like prompts that are easy to write about. I have to write enough stuff during the days (when I work), so while I want to earn as much TPE as I can, I would like to do it with the least amount of effort possible. For me "easy to write about" means a balance between openness and boundaries. Openness in the sense that everyone should be able to easily write about the subject, meaning that the task shouldn't be centered around a specific subject that could be unfamiliar to some people. I couldn't write shit about "which Star Wars character would your player be", because I have never watched any of them. But "which movie character..." would be fine, because everyone has seen a movie. "Which fantasy character..." then again could be even too vague - there are endless possibilities. I hope you get what I'm talking about. Give prompts that everyone can effortlessly write about without doing research, but give us an idea where to start.

[Image: sulov.gif]

Hi Dan! Here’s my take on PTs. So for me PTs can be either hit, miss, or meh. I don’t love them I don’t hate them. I’m honestly pretty indifferent. Most of the time I see them more as a chore and I think that might be partly because of my busy home/work life it can be hard to find time to sit down and catch up on sim leagues. Some prompt though make it really easy. I think prompts that let you be creative or prompts like this that just want your opinion on things help because it’s just well easy to write because it’s just putting your opinion paper. I know we had one in the ISFL that was what would you change/improve and that one came to me easily. Prompts that ask about player stats and what not can be harder for newer players just because we don’t know the league as well and don’t know who’s who. So when they ask “who deserves to be MVP” I have no idea. Those do help you learn the league though. Also love this double prompt. Well this is getting kind of long so thanks for listening!

209 words

I am not someone who really enjoys writting PTs, no matter what. But, at the end of the day, they are a part of this league and there is no dodging that. I have liked the change where there are multiple avenues to approach a PT with the two prompts. For me, that is a great idea and something that should be sustained. I do like it when at least one of the prompts relates to hockey and what my player would be doing. I feel like there are not enough PTs that directly relate to our players and our interactions with our teams. I feel like that is something that is missing and adding in more on that would be appreciated. The season long "storyline" relating to us being on a team of up and comers or veterans was a good idea, but again, it took us out of our actual SHL team. At the end of the day, it is you putting in the work to put these PTs together and I sure as hell couldnt do any better, so you do what you do and I will hammer out 150 words that may even kinda relate to the subject! Everyone wins!

[Image: %3E%5Balign=center%5D]
Aurora Winnipeg Aurora Aurora