Create Account

PTs and Media

03-13-2022, 08:37 PMSean Wrote:
03-13-2022, 07:52 PMFuzzSHL Wrote: Media already is a very limited engagement part of the site. Like Slash said, its either large stat dump pieces or draft pieces. Rookies will post some stuff, but then as they stick around they realize it just isn't worth it to write media. The pay scale is atrocious, but we change it and then suddenly "everyone is going to be a max earner."

I don't think this idea helps engagement at all, nor do I think it would help more actual media get written. It would give unread or low-engagement PTs have use, but it would certainly increase the amount of stat-dump or name-dump posts get written to avoid writing about a specific PT topic.

If you're going to write shit, it's easier to write 150 words of it than 500+. The idea is to reward people who write media and give them a little extra incentive to write it. There is no incentive to write shorter form media right now which is why you see these giant slogs of media that no one reads. To say this would not help at all is quite a discouraging thing to read. Is it a perfect solution to all the leagues problems? No. Was it meant to be? No. It was an off hand idea that would take extremely little effort to implement that could potentially have a positive outcome.

I don't mean to be rude, but it's attitudes like this that prevent progress. The enemy of good is perfection.

I'm just saying that if you do introduce this idea, you'd have to set parameters around it to prevent more stat dumps. There's currently no incentive to write media period outside of the 2x bonus weeks.

I think you took my "at all" comment out of context. "Engagement" to me isn't someone posting a 500 word article for a PT that will likely not get any actual traction. "Engagement" is media that people, you know, engage with, comment on, talk about. And yes, I know a lot of the engaging media right now is drama related, and I don't like that it is. I want to see more media engagement, I'm all for changes that give us better routes towards more engagement and interaction. But this idea.... In a vacuum, it is a wonderful idea. But when you take into account the landscape of the SHL, how the current active userbase views media, and number of type of people who would be able to whip up a stat dump every week to avoid doing a "weird" PT prompt and what that would mean for the type of media that does get posted....this idea doesn't incentivize engagement.

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

03-13-2022, 09:05 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: PBE did something like this. Instead of doing a PT you can reply to a media post with a certain number of words.

Code:
3. You can respond to a media post! Instead of writing 150 words simply link to any media post that has ever existed and write 100 words about that media piece. Your response MUST be about that media in order to get credit for the 2 TPE.

https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...opic=24755
That's one way to do it, I like it

Aleksi Kettu

03-13-2022, 08:15 PMSamsung virtual assistant Wrote: Maybe we should grade statdumps at .5 like pressers.

Aw cmon Wink

I like the PBE way, that's cool. I'd do that.

The media now isn't any better or worse than it was 5 years ago really other than a couple older members who used to carry that forum with series pieces every season that no longer exist.

Providing people a double dip chance through PTs makes sense to help out people who need cash and let's them not have to follow a prompt they don't want to. If I get the option to use no prompt I would. It's a lot easier for me to write about the Sim than it is to write about what my fake internet person would do in the summer when it's winter outside and there is 5 feet of snow on the ground. Energy is a thing and providing more options let's people engage in the site in the path of least resistance for them.

Like literally almost 0 negative unless you think people are browsing the PT threads before their bedtime to check out what Aaron Wilson does in the offseason. I'm with Sean man, like there is really no reason to put a lot of rules on this and any attempt to overcomplicate it would just mean it either never happens or takes longer than needed for something that is already being treated like a chore by basically the whole site, because it is.

any 150 words, SHL related, should count towards a PT. The prompt can smell my farts.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

I also think the media grading should adopt PBE's grading. It's such a bad system here, and been like it for years

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

03-13-2022, 07:52 PMFuzzSHL Wrote:
03-13-2022, 06:39 PMGood_Ole_Kimmy Wrote: This is the big thing for me, converting pts that no one reads into media would be really big for engagement
Media already is a very limited engagement part of the site. Like Slash said, its either large stat dump pieces or draft pieces. Rookies will post some stuff, but then as they stick around they realize it just isn't worth it to write media. The pay scale is atrocious, but we change it and then suddenly "everyone is going to be a max earner."

I don't think this idea helps engagement at all, nor do I think it would help more actual media get written. It would give unread or low-engagement PTs have use, but it would certainly increase the amount of stat-dump or name-dump posts get written to avoid writing about a specific PT topic.
Honestly this is one argument I never get...what does it matter if everyone is a max earner/has a lot of money? Throwing out the fact that it wouldn't happen (people miss ACs when all you have to do is write your name), I just don't see how more max earners is ever a bad thing.

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

03-13-2022, 07:52 PMFuzzSHL Wrote:
03-13-2022, 06:39 PMGood_Ole_Kimmy Wrote: This is the big thing for me, converting pts that no one reads into media would be really big for engagement
Media already is a very limited engagement part of the site. Like Slash said, its either large stat dump pieces or draft pieces. Rookies will post some stuff, but then as they stick around they realize it just isn't worth it to write media. The pay scale is atrocious, but we change it and then suddenly "everyone is going to be a max earner."

Also this.

SHL as a site, for some unknown reason, has this massive masochist streak where everyone thinks you have to grind like crazy to earn anything at all, God forbid you're trying to earn money without a site job

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

03-14-2022, 12:13 PMsteveoiscool Wrote:
03-13-2022, 07:52 PMFuzzSHL Wrote: Media already is a very limited engagement part of the site. Like Slash said, its either large stat dump pieces or draft pieces. Rookies will post some stuff, but then as they stick around they realize it just isn't worth it to write media. The pay scale is atrocious, but we change it and then suddenly "everyone is going to be a max earner."

Honestly this is one argument I never get...what does it matter if everyone is a max earner/has a lot of money? Throwing out the fact that it wouldn't happen (people miss ACs when all you have to do is write your name), I just don't see how more max earners is ever a bad thing.

I think there should be some reward into putting work in, if everyone can max-earn putting next to no effort in, what's the point in putting extra work in?

maybe im a dimbi eh, It's boring enough already when everyone builds their player the same, having it be even easier to max-earn would be boring IMO

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

03-14-2022, 12:19 PMSamsung virtual assistant Wrote:
03-14-2022, 12:13 PMsteveoiscool Wrote: Honestly this is one argument I never get...what does it matter if everyone is a max earner/has a lot of money? Throwing out the fact that it wouldn't happen (people miss ACs when all you have to do is write your name), I just don't see how more max earners is ever a bad thing.

I think there should be some reward into putting work in, if everyone can max-earn putting next to no effort in, what's the point in putting extra work in?

maybe im a dimbi eh, It's boring enough already when everyone builds their player the same, having it be even easier to max-earn would be boring IMO
The choice isn't usually between max earner and less than max earner though, as soon as a lot of people realize they won't be able to max earn they just go IA. Also max earning doesn't really mean a ton, we have plenty of 2k+ players getting beat out statwise by 1400 players, and BAP had a couple hundred avg TPE teamwide on most teams and didn't win it all. Money and TPE should be easy to get because that's the busywork part of the site.

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

03-14-2022, 12:13 PMsteveoiscool Wrote:

Your guess is as good as mine

Aleksi Kettu

I like this idea. We give "ability points" or TPE to reward engagement with the league, but I'd hardly call PTs engagement as they are now. It feels like writing on a piece of paper and throwing it into an abyss.

I'd be completely for this if you favored written articles over stat dumps in some way.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno