Create Account

S64 Championship Week

CW pass

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

nervous

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Origin Story (150 words min.)
Everyone wants the Challenge cup… but how did it get here? Tell me the origin story of the Challenge Cup! Where did it come from? Who paid for it? Who forged it? What did it look like in Season 1 vs. now in Season 64? Has it changed a lot? Maybe it has been damaged?

The Challenge cup was named after Lord Cornelius J. Challenge, the third Duke of Pahrump, Nevada and a noted early champion of the sport of hockey. Being a part of a royal family in Nevada afforded him a great deal of wealth and luxury. Though it is usually pretty hot in Pahrump, the Duke was an avid traveler and regularly spent time in Canada, where he became acquainted with hockey. He wanted the sport to gain popularity in the United States and around the world so he invested a large portion of his considerable wealth into the league. Because of his generous investment which was invaluable to the success of the league, the SHL decided to name its coveted championship cup after Cornelius Challenge, who was delighted by this honor. It is a sturdy gold cup forged by someone local to the booming metropolis of Pahrump. Though it looks simple, it does contain details unique to the Challenge family, particularly with some designs in the interior of the cup. (169 words.)

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Cup Check (150 words min.)
Which league has the more prestigious cup in your opinion, the SHL or the SMJHL? Which cup is harder to win? A lot is said about the different skill sets required to GM in each league, so which do you personally think is tougher to manage? Is a trophy case with three Four Star Cups as cool as a trophy case with three Challenge Cups? Maybe you think it’s even cooler. Why?

As proud as I am of the Four Star Cup victory in my past, I think that the Challenge Cup is the most prestigious of the two. The SHL is the big leagues with all the toughest and most legendary players so simply put, the level of competition is going to be higher. One is also in the SHL many more years than the SMJHL so there is a greater variety of experience and types of players, making developing a championship team at the top level that much more difficult than in the SMJHL, where managers are dealing with less variance in TPE between players and can plan accordingly.  Winning the Challenge Cup has also been made more difficult in recent years by the victories being dominated by a couple of powerhouse teams. One could argue that makes it easier in a way, since you just need to go to one of those teams in order to get your victory, but overall to me it makes winning the cup more of a finite resource. (174 words.)

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. Just link your Milestone claim below this task for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestones.

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s final series?

The playoffs were a little bit different than expected this year because neither Hamilton nor Texas were featured. It was lovely to see a recent expansion team like Atlanta build something great and make it all the way to the finals. However, Chicago is not too far removed from their last Challenge Cup and brought with them a greater amount of experience that seemed to come very much in handy. Overall, it was a great series and a nice change of pace. In the future I hope to see more of this (though hopefully with the Pride going all the way) and less Hamilton. As it should be. (108 words.)

Code:
22. Written, 2 TPE, Be Nice (100 words min.)
I’ve seen this prompt used from time to time and I think the end of my first full season as PT director is as good of a time as any. Use this 100 words to give a compliment to someone in the community that you appreciate! Whether it’s a friend, a GM, a PT director, or one of those amazing folks that designed the card website– try to make someone smile with some kind words!

I guess I'll just take this moment to say nice things about my Pride teammates once again. Henrik and AgentSmith really set us up for success and Toast has been doing a nice job of continuing that work. It was so nice to not only get out of the first round of the playoffs, but to be part of a very competitive conference finals series. In addition to the GMs, you have to give props to all the players, especially those of us who have been patiently waiting for this day, knowing that there would be a long journey ahead of us but that the team had all the tools for success. I truly believe next season will be our year and I'm looking forward to it. (127 words.)

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2022, 03:07 PM by efischermann. Edited 7 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

FISHY

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

Code:
a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching it's first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?

Would love to pick Atlanta here, because I think everyone is happy to see some new blood in the finals, but I just can’t go against Chicago. They are an absolute juggernaut and will be extremely difficult to beat. I think Chicago takes the series with relative ease, but this won’t be the last we hear from Atlanta.

58 words

Code:
b. Chicago's lineup much more active with their sticks than Atlanta's, racking up 97 takeaways to Atlanta's 79. This late in the playoffs, how do you adjust to a team that's so adept at picking your pocket?

Puck possession is the name of the game, so the more you can steal the puck from your opponent, the more you have the puck, hence the more you score. All of these things combined go back to my last point of Chicago taking this series. Atlanta will have to really do everything they can to take care of the puck if they want any hope of taking this series.

70 words

Code:
c. Atlanta has only 32 penalty minutes in these playoffs compared to Chicago's 45. With emotions high and the Challenge Cup on the line, do you think discipline will play a big role in this series?

Of course, it will. Both teams have incredibly dangerous offensive players that there is no way you could survive if you are giving the other team opportunities on the power-play. It will really come down to who can be smart here and not let the high emotions of this situation knock them down and get in their heads. The team that does that, will win this series.

67 words

Code:
d. Similar to last season's finals, we see Chicago running a balanced ice-time attack against Atlanta's targeted approach that has some players seeing sheltered minutes. Last season the more balanced attack won out. Do you think we'll see the same again? Why or why not?

Well, I have been pretty consistent in picking Chicago, and this is just another reason why. The balanced attack works because it keeps everyone fresher. With a long playoff, you need to keep everyone fresh and I think that will tip the scales all the way in Chicago’s favor. Fresh players mean healthy players. Healthy players mean better team. Better team is going to win over the course of the entire series. Chicago wins this one, but congrats to Atlanta for getting here.

83 words

Code:
3. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Four Star Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

Code:
a. Newfoundland has gotten 25 points in 11 games from two of their top D, Rand al'Thor and Mikko Rashford. If you're Quebec's coach, how do you adjust to Newfoundland having guys on the blue line that are just as offensively dangerous as the wingers?

Only thing to do is go full playoff mode and go after them. Have to hit them hard and get them off their game. Get chippy with them and it will hopefully make them panicking or maybe pissed off. If they are playing angry, maybe they will make a mistake or be more concerned with hitting back instead of doing what they do best. Make them play your game.

Code:
b. Quebec has three players shooting 20% or better in Bertrand, Utah, and Kidd. If you're the Newfoundland defense, how do you find a way to bottle up three forwards that can't seem to miss the back of the net?

You have to clog up the neutral zone. If you deny a clean zone entry, they won’t be able to set up enough to get the lanes that they are able to get.  Hopefully if they are running around the zone a little more they will struggle to get the puck on net. Also have to make sure you get bodies in front of those shots.

Code:
c. Looking at each teams' PDO, we see that Quebec is riding a bit of a hot streak while Newfoundland has actually been a bit unlucky. Do you think this a is a good thing for either team? Is Newfoundland bound to find some luck, or are they going to get stuck in a rut? Is Quebec going to come back down to Earth, or did they get hot at the right time?

PDO is such a hard stat to predict. Sometimes teams can ride that luck all the way to the finish. We have seen it happen so many times. Sometimes the luck runs out, sometimes it doesn’t. The key is to not let luck come into play. Take your game to your opponent and make sure that Lady Luck has not say in the championship.

Code:
d. Newfoundland has appeared in all 4 of the last SMJHL finals and won 3 of them. Quebec, a consistently strong presence in the SMJHL, has a lot of playoff success behind them as well, having won several series since their last 4 Star in S58. How do you approach this series mentally on either side? If you're Newfoundland, are you worried your streak can't last forever? If you're Quebec, do you fear that you can't take down a goliath?

Newfoundland’s success is absolutely incredible, especially in the SMJHL where players come and go so quick. Quebec has a tall task to take these guys down, but there is always a chance that NL doesn’t finish this one off. Could there be fatigue? We will see, but it is very hard to bet against the juggernaut that is Newfoundland.

Code:
Which league has the more prestigious cup in your opinion, the SHL or the SMJHL? Which cup is harder to win? A lot is said about the different skill sets required to GM in each league, so which do you personally think is tougher to manage? Is a trophy case with three Four Star Cups as cool as a trophy case with three Challenge Cups? Maybe you think it’s even cooler. Why?

The easy answer here is the SHL, at least on the harder to win scale. We can see that the same teams have been at the top for so long, it is hard to unseat them. However, I feel it coming that a new era will soon begin. It is for sure harder to win the SHL simply because there are more teams. SMJHL is hard to win, no doubt about it. I have been a part of a climb to the top and it wasn’t easy, but with TPE caps in the SMJHL, one good draft of actives that stay active would do it. It takes much longer to build a team in the SHL. Nothing easy about it and it is so hard to break through the ceiling that has been created by the Goliath’s at the top of the league. Atlanta came close this year, but still couldn’t get it done.

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. Just link your Milestone claim below this task for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

LINK HERE

Code:
I’ve seen this prompt used from time to time and I think the end of my first full season as PT director is as good of a time as any. Use this 100 words to give a compliment to someone in the community that you appreciate! Whether it’s a friend, a GM, a PT director, or one of those amazing folks that designed the card website– try to make someone smile with some kind words!

I am already at the max 16, but I can’t skip this one. I want to thank Tig @notorioustig for being such a great GM and helping to welcome me into the Argonauts organization. He makes it fun to be in the league and makes it amazing to be an Argo. There is nowhere else I would rather be playing. Thanks man! It was no question that I was going to extend my contract long-term, how could I not with how helpful he has been and how great everyone in the locker room is. Pumped for three more years here and hopefully many more. Now let’s go get that cup!!!

18/16

[Image: m59RPb7.png] | [Image: FcWmVTl.png]

S61 Four Star Cup - Game-Winning Goal in the clinching Game 4
[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: efischermann.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2022, 06:43 PM by awils13. Edited 5 times in total.)

Code:

awils

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching it's first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?
b. Chicago's lineup much more active with their sticks than Atlanta's, racking up 97 takeaways to Atlanta's 79. This late in the playoffs, how do you adjust to a team that's so adept at picking your pocket?
c. Atlanta has only 32 penalty minutes in these playoffs compared to Chicago's 45. With emotions high and the Challenge Cup on the line, do you think discipline will play a big role in this series?
d. Similar to last season's finals, we see Chicago running a balanced ice-time attack against Atlanta's targeted approach that has some players seeing sheltered minutes. Last season the more balanced attack won out. Do you think we'll see the same again? Why or why not?

a. It's the first challenge cup final but they've come very close a lot of times in the past, so it's not like they have no playoff experience, and Chicago has been one of the top teams for a while but fell short in the playoffs, so it's a tough call but I would bet on Chicago because they have the better roster on paper.
c. There is no doubt that discipline will play a big role in this series, like in any other, because about 30% of goals are scored with a man advantage, however Chicago also played more games in this playoffs, so it's not a significant difference and it's hard to predict which team will be more disciplined.
d. As always I think the more balanced attack is more likely to win, but it's not because of the way their coaches distribute ice time per se, it's because when you need to shelter some players on your team as opposed to running balanced lines, it's a sign that your roster depth might not be as good, so you are the underdog in the series.

Code:

For players, the 4 star cup is definitely more difficult to win because you only get like what, 3 or 4 chances at best? And if you are on a rebuilding team, you might never even come close to winning it. For GMs/coaches, I believe the challenge cup is more prestigious. Much has been said about SMJHL being about user retention first, and while being a contending team helps with that, it's not the main goal for most gms in the league, while if you're an shl gm, your main goal is to build a contender and ultimately win the cup. There are also more teams in the shl, so statistically you are less likely to make a deep playoff run, rebuilds take a lot longer, and the cost of mistake is much higher, as we've seen in the past, one bad trade can set your franchise back for many seasons.

Code:

+2 tpe https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3212016

Code:
15. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Hype (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Do you think the same teams will be on top this year, or are we due for some turnover? How are you feeling about your country’s chances this time? Any players that you think will light up the tournament?

I predict that Canada and Sweden will be the #1 seeds in their groups with a 10-0-1-1 and 7-2-3-0 records respectively. Last year's winner USA will not make it out of the Round Robin though, so that will be the biggest surprise. Kev Kevens will lead Team Canada in scoring with 18 points in 12 games, while Ryu Jones will be the leading point getter with 19 points in 12 games, including 10 goals in 12 games. I'm feeling pretty confident about these predictions for some reason, and it's definitely not because I'm writing this after the RR has already ended. I hope that we can finally bring gold back to Canada though after falling just short the last few seasons, we need to get gold #5 for Adam Barron, and also for many veterans on the team who are deep into regression, and this might be one of their last chances to win it.

Code:
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s final series?

Congratulations to Chicago, it's a little surprising that they won the cup given their long history of choking in the playoffs, but I guess it was somewhat expected because they were also the presidents trophy winners this season. I would say there were a lot of upsets in this playoffs though unlike previous seasons, for example, Hamilton beating Buffalo (again), Atlanta sweeping Tampa Bay in round 1, Baltimore not even reaching the conference finals and consequently Atlanta making the challenge cup final, San Francisco beating Los Angeles in round 2 was also something that not many people predicted. All in all there were a lot of surprises/upsets in this playoffs.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2022, 03:18 PM by Merica. Edited 5 times in total.)

MILESTONES:
+3 TPE - Milestones

- Merica

- First off, I feel personally attacked about my time management skills, but I’ll let it slide. I would say the playoffs did not go as expected. I expect Hamilton to win it every year, so Atlanta upsetting them and making their first Challenge Cup was a pleasant surprise for sure. The end result I would say WAS expected once the finals teams were set, Chicago is a dynamic team from top to bottom and been a perennial contender for seasons. Great run by Atlanta though, they were the people champ for sure knocking off the big bad devils in Hamilton. Fuck those guys.

- This will be softest thing I ever write, and I may vomit, so frame this. I want to say some nice things about my man crush @Ragnar .I mean what a specimen of man meat. Thicc thighs, pulsating biceps, the jaw of a gotdamned super hero, what isn’t there to love? Next to the god himself Wasty, he is the top graphic designer on this website and I don’t think he gets nearly enough recognition as he should, so I’m gonna give it to him (in many ways, hehe). One time I had a dream about him, now I don’t dream and tell but let me tell you it was juicy as fuck. The first time I laid eyes on his magnificent sculpted body I started questioning everything. Run away with me Rags.

16. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)
Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!

- Why did I choose the greatest country on God’s green earth? Don’t answer that, because it’s rhetorical. Back to back world war champs, we fucking drink your oil for breakfast, you have a dog? We have fucking bald eagles as our pets. Being born here is the lottery winning ticket. We wake up and piss freedom and it smells like gunpowder and bacon. You don’t CHOOSE your country, your country CHOOSES you, and MURICA only chooses the fucking chaddest chads to represent them. Which is why my boy Daniel Merica Jr got the call from the ghost of George fuckin Washington to put on that red, white and blue sweater this season, it put Daniel in the hospital for a week because the freedom boner wouldn’t subside.

17. Written, 2 TPE, Substitute Teacher (100 words min.)
Hello! I am 11 years old, and as a part of the SHL Community Outreach Program– you, a famous hockey player, have to teach my Geography class in 15 minutes! You have to tell me and my classmates a couple of fun facts about your player’s IIHF country! Jump on Wikipedia or whatever and search up something weird or fun about where your player is from that I wouldn’t know! Get wacky, or get scholarly for all I care! Maybe you’ll actually learn something cool!

- oh you want a history lesson on the United States of Fuck You? I thought you’d NEVER ask. So there we were, weird looking wigs flapping in the wind, when some fancy fella in a redcoat posted a decree from the King that he was gonna tax the shit out of us. Now, we didn’t like that, not one bit, no sir. So we decided to say fuck you and your massive army, go fetch your tea from the Boston harbor and tax deez nuts. Here in America we love war, so we beat the shit out of the redcoats and declared our independence. Fast forward and it’s WW2, now we didn’t even want to join this war, but those dum dums across the ocean decided to awaken the war beast within our beating chest, and boy howdy did we go full Merica on multiple fronts. First atomic bomb? Yeah that was us. First steps on the moon? Yeah that was always the red, white and blue. More guns than the whole world combined? You best fucking believe it. In summary, America is the best and OH SHIT DID I JUST SMELL OIL

14/16.

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

Evok

CW TRIVIA LINK

I want to give a lot of props to Atlanta for making it into the finals. It isn’t easy with how dominant a few teams have been over the FHM era but I am going to have to give it to Chicago if I were a betting man. They just have a higher TPE average than Atlanta and are just overall the better team.

With Chicago having a lot more takeaways than Atlanta, if I was Atlanta I would try and play a clean game. What I mean is I would not try any fancy tricks. Just stick with the basics and hope for the best. By doing this the risk of error would be lower which would reduce the chances of the Chicago Syndicate from picking their pockets.

I think discipline plays a huge role in the outcome of any game, not just the finals. You cannot score a lot of goals if you are constantly trying to kill off a power play. So I think with Atlanta having a better discipline track record these playoffs compared to Chicago it does play a big role and Atlanta can use that to their advantage.

The Chicago syndicate seem to understand what they need to do to win but so does the Atlanta Inferno. With that being said I do think it will play out in similar fashion. Chicago just seems like they know what they are doing more than Atlanta does. And like the prompt said that has already worked in the past.

Code:
3. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Four Star Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Newfoundland has gotten 25 points in 11 games from two of their top D, Rand al'Thor and Mikko Rashford. If you're Quebec's coach, how do you adjust to Newfoundland having guys on the blue line that are just as offensively dangerous as the wingers?

Quebec is in an incredibly tough spot when they have 5 guys all capable of scoring on you. It is hard to say what you can do to stop that. One thing that Quebec can do is use guys who are not afraid to put their body in between the Newfoundland defender and their goalie and hope the blocked shot creates a chance for Quebec.

b. Quebec has three players shooting 20% or better in Bertrand, Utah, and Kidd. If you're the Newfoundland defense, how do you find a way to bottle up three forwards that can't seem to miss the back of the net?

Having three players with such a high shooting percentage can be problematic but that does not always paint the whole picture. They could be just lucky. However, to stop them from hitting the back of the net you need a solid goalie and also crowding the forward can help which would prevent them from getting a good shooting lane.

c. Looking at each teams' PDO, we see that Quebec is riding a bit of a hot streak while Newfoundland has actually been a bit unlucky. Do you think this a is a good thing for either team? Is Newfoundland bound to find some luck, or are they going to get stuck in a rut? Is Quebec going to come back down to Earth, or did they get hot at the right time?

PDO is always a tricky thing. At any point it can swing in any which way it wants. To say it is a good or bad thing if a team is lucky or unlucky is not always straightforward. Also Newfoundland was not really stuck in a rut they were still beating teams so even if their PDO was still on the unlucky side that doesn’t mean Quebec is going to have an easy time battling them in the finals.

d. Newfoundland has appeared in all 4 of the last SMJHL finals and won 3 of them. Quebec, a consistently strong presence in the SMJHL, has a lot of playoff success behind them as well, having won several series since their last 4 Star in S58. How do you approach this series mentally on either side? If you're Newfoundland, are you worried your streak can't last forever? If you're Quebec, do you fear that you can't take down a goliath?

If I was Newfoundland I would approach this series as calmly and collected  as I can. They have been here numerous times recently and have come out as victorious in the finals every time so I would just approach this series like it is any other game. That way my nerves would not get the best of me.

Code:

MILESTONES ARE HERE
Graphics and Podcasts

+3

Code:

I would like to take the time to write about my good friend @Kalakar even though he refuses to watch Star Wars The Clone Wars. >:( He is a good guy who always seems to be in a good mood whenever we talk in the Buffalo Locker Room. He did a lot for the league in regards to the way we sim. I would also like to mention that He also mailed me Maple Syrup from Quebec which was an incredibly nice thing for him to do. I thoroughly enjoy his presence in the Buffalo Stampede Locker room and hope to see him with a new player at some point!

Total: +16

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2022, 08:05 PM by Blasoon. Edited 1 time in total.)

WSBL PT Affiliate +3 TPE

1. Bangladesh (Trivia +3 TPE)

7. Milestones +1 TPE

16. I chose to rep Team Great Britain because I myself am British and the chance to play for my home nation was too good to pass up on. Last season I was left off of the roster and offered the chance to play for another team but I knew that patience would win out in the end and so to be able to finally play for my country this IIHF feels pretty special. Of course when London secedes from the Kingdom and forms our own Republic I'll be the first to defect. Until then, I'll keep praying for some Plantagenet reverse retros. (+2 TPE)

17. "Hello class, how's everyone doing today? I'm mr. Ramza and I'll be here to teach you all about the nation that's made up of three and a bit nations, Great Britain! I'm going to be specifically focusing on the geographic difference between England and Scotland's borders. Did you know that four hundred million years ago, England and Scotland were thousands of miles apart. The former in Avalonia, and the latter in Laurentia. These rocks have shaped the identities of these countries. They've affected the flora, the diet of the wildlife, building materials and even the quality of the water! Maybe these countries were just destined to be opposites." (+2 TPE)

21. I think that if I'm being given a materia adjacent piece of equipment, it's definitely going to be a glove or compression sleeve with a red materia attached at the elbow, protruding out. Kind of like a baseball player's elbow pad. I mean, the uses are incredible. Whenever my team needs a power play; say we've been dealing with bad refs and haven't been getting calls, or we just haven't been able to match up as well with our lines, why not activate the red materia and summon out mighty Bahamut to help us out and create a powerplay that lasts as long as my ATB can handle it. Alternatively, I could just use my Materia to summon Bahamut and put an entire opposing roster on the Long Term Injured Reserve list. I mean, what's better than a six to five man advantage on the ice? A five to nothing man advantage whilst the sixth man uses Umbral strikes to destroy the opposing lines? (+3 TPE)

22. With his retirement and break from the league I just really wanna give a shout out to Buster. When I got drafted by the Argonauts, he was in the locker room as an alumni, yet he still made me feel incredibly welcome in the team. Constantly threatening to take Yosh away from us and just generally hanging out with us made a daunting place a lot easier to be. Funnily enough, Buster would end up being traded back to Seattle. He was an incredible teammate and I consider myself very lucky for being able to play with him. Enjoy retirement, friend! (+2 TPE)

[Image: blasoon.gif]

Code:

Code:
trivia
Code:

Code:
a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching it's first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?
c. Atlanta has only 32 penalty minutes in these playoffs compared to Chicago's 45. With emotions high and the Challenge Cup on the line, do you think discipline will play a big role in this series? 
d. Similar to last season's finals, we see Chicago running a balanced ice-time attack against Atlanta's targeted approach that has some players seeing sheltered minutes. Last season the more balanced attack won out. Do you think we'll see the same again? Why or why not?
a. I think Chicago has it because of their experience. Typically that would go a long way. I also think Atlanta has been fortunate to make it this far in the playoffs and did not have the strongest path but that's irrelevant as they did make it to the finals. I think that's as far as they get though.
b. You don't hold on to the puck as long. Pass more. This way Chicago has to work for their takeaways and they aren't just a given. That would also mean more dump and chase which limits puck possession but I guess you can't get it taken away if you don't have the puck to begin with.
c. Those are actually pretty close. If there's a misconduct on Chicago's side then it's effectively even. Penalties are going to be worse for the team that suffers on special teams. Obviously excessive penalties will be a problem but keeping penalties controlled will definitely increase t eh chances of an underdog victory.
d. Balance is always nice. At this point in the season you'll be fighting against a good team so having any ice time of players with significantly less TPE is going to be a huge risk. It also eats at the stamina of better players so later in the game they could be gassed and not able to contribute as effectively.

Code:

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Origin Story (150 words min.)
Everyone wants the Challenge cup… but how did it get here? Tell me the origin story of the Challenge Cup! Where did it come from? Who paid for it? Who forged it? What did it look like in Season 1 vs. now in Season 64? Has it changed a lot? Maybe it has been damaged?
The challenge cup might appear to be named the challenge cup because it is a challenge to get. This is a common misconception that many believe to be true. The fact is the challenge cup was named for Steve Challenge. This individual was seen by the founders  running around his yard hitting a pinecone with a broomstick. Naturally they were inspired and felt the need to commemorate this moment by titling the highest SHL achievement after some random dude. Unfortunately, they never told poor Steve about this so he could be in for some money should he file a lawsuit over unlawful use of his name but he is unaware. He thinks like everyone else it's just a challenge to get the cup not named after him, and why would he ever think that. It makes no sense but here we are. Wait until you hear what the four star cup was named after.
Code:

Code:
I think the harder cup to win season to season is the challenge cup. It is more of an accomplishment if you have more 4 star cups in your history though. The challenge cup is more prestigious as there are the best players competing for it but in the SMJHL there is a cyclical nature of the league and championship windows are hard to balance often leading to very good years and very bad years or just an average team. This way remaining at the top is more impressive. There is more time to find an open window with the SHL so to me having a lot means you capitalized on the window. Either way both are great accomplishments and players should feel lucky to have either one and extra lucky to have both. There are many who have neither that would like a chance to get just one. That's what I think.

Code:

Code:
Milestones

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/DYZ5jqO.jpg[/img]

PBE Affiliate + 3

Code:

Verification word = regret

Code:

Milestones link where I got 2 TPE

I'm retiring soon so honestly this'll do. A nice 5 minutes CW for 8 TPE

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Now I am free <3

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2022, 05:12 AM by kikish18. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

Milestones Link to milestone claim!

Code:
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Do you think the same teams will be on top this year, or are we due for some turnover? How are you feeling about your country’s chances this time? Any players that you think will light up the tournament?

After a long debate in my head, I decide to do this task because I couldn't find any trivia answers. So oh well... Here goes a 150-word discussion about WC. First of all, WC is a very confusing acronym for the World championship. I understand where it comes from but when you say it loud don't You want to go to the toilet? Second, why there is still team Russia in the SHL universe. I don't think that we should act politically neutral, even Switzerland is not doing that this time. This is the internet and we should speak loud about what's happening and cutting off that name from our tournament would be the least to do. I suggest renaming it to Team Ukraine. Fair and square. Third, I haven't seen any game in the IIHF tournament but I'm very glad about improving the performance of Team Latvia. Long time no see such a good performance from fellas!

Code:
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s final series?

Holy shit! I thought that SHL gonna be 4 teams shifting sinking shipshit but holy guacamole! Atlanta Inferno in finals!!! It is not so groundbreaking as Vegas in the 2019 finals for the recent expansion team but holy macaroni! I did not expect that! Can you hear my excitement??? Yeah, baby yeah! Burn that ice Atlanta! Yes, they lost in the finals but I think it was truly groundbreaking. I knew they are coming strong and solid especially when the season before they had a league-leading player in fantasy points. I think. I can't remember right but there was a guy worth drafting. Also big congrats to Darian, finally lifting a Challenge Cup. I know You wanted it, dude.

Code:
20. Written, 3 TPE, Ruthless Capitalist (150 words min.)
Someone that looks like the Monopoly guy just gave you two million dollars and a two year deadline to make the SHL a growing and profitable business. What do you do with that seed money to make this an online platform that facilitates you milking as much money as possible from the users? ALTERNATIVELY, if you don’t want to be malicious, what would you do with 2 million dollars to improve the site and make it the best sim league in the world?

I picked this task because I find it funny and yesterday I played Monopoly with my fiancee. This is a dream that everybody would want to come true. I mean I was part of a similar sim league in Latvia and I believe nearly everyone who was near the management would want it. My first tasks would be

1) Change the sim engine to console NHL. In other words, we would be going live. Yes, it means more fun but more business at the same time. Profit from purchasable player cosmetics (sticks/skates/tapes etc.). Advertising from companies who would like show their stuff around related to interest. Imagine some Chicken Parm House commercials between simulation games or graphics on the walls of rink.

2) Large money investment would be to make an outstanding crew. Paid for the full-time job. Administration, simmers, updaters, (media graders would be nice but c'mon be realistic, we should need people doing some stuff for SHL credits. As you see SHL money is not far from bitcoin)

Code:
21. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Epic Loot (150 words min.)
A hockey gear manufacturer has developed a substance called “Materia” that allows them to imbue hockey gear with incredibly powerful abilities. They’ve come to you to ask for your endorsement, and to help you design your own piece of magical hockey gear. What piece of gear do you design? What do you make it look like? Is it an unassuming piece of equipment that can fly under the radar, or do you go for some wild steampunk thing? What insane magical bonuses and benefits does it give you? ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player wearing the piece of gear you designed! Show how its power is benefiting them.

I would make "Materia tooth guards". As a person who loves hockey as much, you could call me hockeysexual I never have worn hockey equipment. Except for skates. The rest of the stuff were dungaree, winter gloves, black wool hat, no helmets, etc. And when we played I was dead worried about my teeth because I hit every else possible body part - elbows, knees, head, butt, chin, forehead. It was fun. So as a piece of equipment I would choose a mouthguard. And now let's add magical powers... Funny would be an agitator skill. Because nowadays at a certain level people are so good that it looks inhuman - just look at Connor McDavid .... Wooosh! But you can break everyone with a big mouth and adjust the game in the direction you want. Why the hell Tampa has Patrick Maroon? Definitely because of his scoring skill *eye blink noises. A mouthguard that makes you superb agitator skills. The next model would be the "Materia tooth guard Your mama 3000".

Code:

@Muerto This is a hard time for Calgary on the paper. Lots of legendary leaders regress. Lots of youngsters will be hitting their prime in a difficult time. But I want you to remember that Calgary Dragons doesn't end at the .com. We are cheerful people who don't give a damn about hell and a lot of things. And give a damn when some are ill/broke/having a hard time, we try to cheer up each other and give a laugh. That little thing - just a smile. I hope this will help you to be motivated as our leader of bright future generations of success. Lastly, you have to take into account only one thing. Never trade away GOB. You know why. Hehehehehehe.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2022, 09:09 AM by thiefofcheese. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:

cheese

+3 TPE

Code:
a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching it's first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?

Well because I waited so long to do this I already know, but I believe I would have picked Chicago to go all the way.  As the prompt says, they've had a dominant team over the past few seasons and no smart money would bet against CHI in this series. 

Code:

That is an uphill battle.  Puck possession is key in order to get the puck into the net and it is something Atlanta has to be sure to protect against.  They could play it more conservatively and not take as many risks, but when playing against a team like Chicago that probably will not help much.  But I'm not a GM so no one cares what I think

Code:
c. Atlanta has only 32 penalty minutes in these playoffs compared to Chicago's 45. With emotions high and the Challenge Cup on the line, do you think discipline will play a big role in this series? 

Discipline is always important, but being able to convert when given the man advantage is equally as important.  Additionally, when in the finals the refs commonly swallow their whistles so I seriously doubt it will have much impact on the series unless there are seriously egregious penalties.  Don't be a dick and I'm sure it'll be fine.

Code:
d. Similar to last season's finals, we see Chicago running a balanced ice-time attack against Atlanta's targeted approach that has some players seeing sheltered minutes. Last season the more balanced attack won out. Do you think we'll see the same again? Why or why not?

Well I really don't know how this ended up shaking out.  Clearly CHI won in the end, but did either team change their approach?  I'd love to tell you, but there is nothing that I can look at to see if that's the case other than loading up the FHM files, but who's got time for that to get a single TPE?  Not me!

+4 TPE

Code:

From a purely hockey perspective, the SHL is a tougher beast for sure.  There are a number of reasons for this.  First off, players stick around the SHL for a longer time so there is much more competition for big minutes which is a challenge for the GM.  Additionally, tactics really begin to matter.  In the J most players are capped by their second season so the teams can be pretty even from a stats perspective but in the SHL you can get put against a team with a considerably different amount of TPE.  And tactics require a ton of test sims which not all GMs have the patience for or even capable of doing.  Not to say the J GMing is all that easy though.  There are commonly a lot of new players there and you have to guide them through it and keep them engaged which is no easy task.  All the GMs in the J and SHL need a raise! 

+3 TPE

Code:

MILESTONES ARE HERE

+3 TPE - Milestones

Code:
Someone that looks like the Monopoly guy just gave you two million dollars and a two year deadline to make the SHL a growing and profitable business. What do you do with that seed money to make this an online platform that facilitates you milking as much money as possible from the users? ALTERNATIVELY, if you don’t want to be malicious, what would you do with 2 million dollars to improve the site and make it the best sim league in the world?

With $2M I'd work heavily towards integration of tasks, updates, and FHM. I think one of the hardest parts of this league is getting people to understand how to do things. Name another game that is still so heavily forum based? And it's not that I hate the forums, but if we post here some poor schmuck has to read these to grade them then manually post a claim. Then I have to see the claim and put it on the update page. Then we have to make sure we didn't mess up that process and have too much or too few TPE. I then update my player, which is then manually read by another who then updates a sheet which is then used to update FHM. It's a lot of work! With money like this we can pay people to revamp the process a bit and really streamline it. Currently it's a labor of love for a lot of people, which we are very grateful for, but wouldn't it be a lot easier if once you submit and activity you get TPE allocated to you automatically? Then when you assign it to a stat the next pull would just be able to grab that change? That'll take a huge part of the learning curve away and open our doors to so many more people.

+3 TPE

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Verification: bappacino

Quote:5. Written, 3 TPE, Cup Check (150 words min.)
Statistically the Challenge Cup is obviously harder to win than the Four Star, seeing as there are 20 teams as opposed to only 14 teams. I have 0 experience with FHM so I may be talking out of my ass here but I would assume the testing and strategies in the SHL are probably a little more in depth too due to the variety of talent levels compared to the SMJHL's 425 cap. However, I think you could honestly argue that winning the Four Star could require my work for the GM team than it does for an SHL GM team. In the SHL you are mostly dealing with established players who know how things work and require little/less maintenance. Whereas in the SMJHL not only are you dealing with all the same testing, roster management, tasks as SHL GM's, but have to deal with tougher scouting (new users), teaching said new users, and constantly managing engagement in your locker room in order to keep those new members engaged. I think SMJHL GMing requires a lot more social skills than the SHL (not that the SHL doesn't require that either).

Quote:6. Written, 3 TPE, Dream Team 150 words min
You have to create the perfect SHL or SMJHL line for your player to be on. Who do you put on your line and why? Is it something about their style of play that compliments yours? Does it only include players from the present, or do you dip into the past to find an incredible D pair? Or are you just choosing your friends ‘cause they’d be fun to win the cup with?
Blanchet is a two-way playmaker who likes to be physical and throw his body around. He prides himself on his two-way play, and so I think he would want to play with guys who also play a strong defensive game, as good defense leads to good offense. Since he is a center, he'll need two wingers to flank him. For the left winger I'm going to go with Andreas Kvalheim of the Texas Renegades. Noel always admired Kvalheim's strong defensive game (he won three straight Jeff Dar trophies), but Kvalheim was also an offensive menace at his peak. Between the two of them they would be able to make plays in the offensive zone while defensively stifling their opponents. That strong defensive ability should allow them to go with more of an offensive right winger to compliment them, and I'm going to go with Terrance Nova there. IMO one of the most underrated players ever, Nova is in the top 5 scorers of all time. While the first half of his career he was part of a strong Minnesota Chiefs team, he carried a lot of the offense there later on in his career. I think he would round out our line nicely and put lots of pucks in the net. (I have no relationship with either of these guys, just players I've admired over the years)

Quote:7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestone Claim (+3)

Quote:16. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)
Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!
Noel is actually from Lyon, France, and moved to Canada in his mid teens. However due to the fact that France does not have a tier 1 IIHF team, he knew he would be choosing his team mercenary style. For the most part, I just wanted to try a new locker room where I could meet some new people, and my main criteria was who could make the best pitch for me to join their team. That team ended up being Czechia. Cal ended up making a really, really strong and well thought out pitch, and that ended up selling Noel on Czechia. So far he has enjoyed his time playing there and learning about the country, and he is hoping that some IIHF success will follow soon.

Quote:17. Written, 2 TPE, Substitute Teacher (100 words min.)
Hello! I am 11 years old, and as a part of the SHL Community Outreach Program– you, a famous hockey player, have to teach my Geography class in 15 minutes! You have to tell me and my classmates a couple of fun facts about your player’s IIHF country! Jump on Wikipedia or whatever and search up something weird or fun about where your player is from that I wouldn’t know! Get wacky, or get scholarly for all I care! Maybe you’ll actually learn something cool!
Some fun facts about the Czech Republic!
- Czech Republic has the most castles of any country in Europe, with over 2000 castles and chateaus!
- Speaking of castles, Prague Castle is also the largest ancient castle in the world at 570m long and 128m wide.
- The Czechs are the worlds heaviest consumers of beer.
- The Czech Republic is one of the least religious countries in the world, with over 39% of citizens considering themselves atheist, and 13% undecided.
- Charles University in Prague is the oldest university in central Europe, founded way back in 1348.
- According to the 2017 Global Peace Index, the Czech Republic is the 6th safest country in the world to live in.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

TPE = 3 + 3 = 6 + 3 = 9 + 3 = 12

Trivia 1 - Cooliodude

4. 3 TPE - Origin Story 

I don't know very much about the Challenge Cup, especially since I am relatively new in the SHL, a Season 64 Draftee, so I will just make this up. The Challenge Cup was first originated from a group of people who had this love of hockey and hearing about all of the famous leagues, such as the NHL, the KHL, or even the AHL, they came up with the idea to create their own hockey league, the SHL. So the group of friends split their ways and recruited players for each of their own teams, eventually becoming the first SHL teams. The GMs put a fund together towards a trophy for the best team in the league to win, an incentive to bring players to their league. The Decided on the challenge Cup. Since Season 1, Every winning team has put their name on the cup, and every 10 years, they add a new ring to the cup to extend the cup. So on Season 70, the 7th ring on the cup will be placed!

+3 TPE - #7 - Milestones

5. 3 TPE - Cup Check

To me, obviously, the SHL is more prestigious in many ways. If you ask anybody in the SMJHL right now, they are trying to make their way up to the big leagues, or as I call it, The Show. The SHL cup is so much harder to win because the SHL has the luxury to pick and choose the best players to form their own team, making the skill level elite in the SHL. But the SMJHL is tougher to manage, by a long shot, mostly because you need to be wary of if your star players will move up to the SHL, and the money system down there is totally bonkers. Challenge Cups are more sought out because they are a sign you can, and did win with the Big Boys. But to have both under your belt would be awesome, but Challenge Cups look better on your resume.

S72 Best Season of All Time
[Image: S72_IIHF_CHAMPS.png?ex=661c5898&is=6609e...height=662]      [Image: S72_4-STAR_CHAMPS.png?ex=661c5873&is=660...height=662]
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2022, 02:06 PM by Cobbenstein. Edited 2 times in total.)

Tree

+3 TPE - S64 Milestones

[Image: 1161116581909246052.gif][Image: cobb.png?ex=663d5bb2&is=663c0a32&hm=7637...ae0e53216&][Image: 1161116581909246052.gif]
Thank you @Ragnar  for the Sig!
Previously: Patrick Shepherd (S52 - S64)
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2022, 02:52 PM by AW13. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
Affiliate Claim
WSBL PT

Code:

Test

Code:

So I think both going into it and watching everything play out, the consensus favorite has to be the Canadians so far with a monster goal differential! There are a lot of other teams that follow that could always pull off some magic in the medal rounds and really make it further as we saw with Season 63 United States who despite not being the best team in the round robin, went on to take home the gold over a Swiss team that looked better earlier on than them. The United States were underdogs through the whole tournament beating Sweden who was undefeated in the round robin portion of the IIHF tourney, Canada who was 2nd only to Sweden in Group A, and then Switzerland who was 2nd to Japan in their group though they proved themselves as well making the gold medal round and winning silver. I would say the favorite is Canada but no one would be surprised if a team like Finland, Great Britain, Switzerland, or another team pulled off a great medal round. As for Austria, I don't think it will be in the cards for us this season. We are still a small and very young country that are still growing from the ground up. Not this season but future seasons should see some great success for Osterreich.

Code:
16. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)

So the main reason I chose my IIHF country really was all the time I had spent with Austria on my previous players and it has always been a great place. I have known the people well and had stops both with Johannes Leitner and Rikki Petrov when playing in the IIHF so it made sense to go back to a familiar place. So, I would say friends though I don't necessarily know everyone but it is still just a familiar place for me in the SHL and where my players played for a variety of SHL and SMHJL teams, I could at least get some consistency in the league through Austria. Austria also has a decent sized Turkish population and not being able to make a player from Turkiye, it was choosing somewhere that might make sense for a Turk to play from. It was between Germany and Austria for me and in the end, it made a bunch of sense to be home with Austria so I found a city with a large Turkish population and Enes was born.

Code:
17. Written, 2 TPE, Substitute Teacher (100 words min.)

Welcome to Austria! Where the capital is Vienna and the language is primarily German! I want to talk about the people from Austria that you may know well and it was a learning thing for me as well to see anyone that may be from the small Germanic country in Western Europe. By far the most famous Austria is arguably popular action movie star and former governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Arnold was born in Thal, Austria and a fun fact about where he was from is that he is considered to be from Allie-occupied Austria. In World War 2 when Austria was taken over by Nazi Germany, the Allies started to help Austria come back under Austrian rule and occupied part of the territory, held elections, and helped build Austria back up after the terrible war. Austria was also a huge place for composers and was birthplace to some of the most influential names in classical music. Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, and Strauss are just a few of the big names in early Classical music. Popular actor Christoph Waltz also was also born in Austria and holds dual citizenship with Germany!

Code:

2 million dollars to make the SHL profitable!? That is pretty easy given the enormous capital that would be poured into the business.

So, first, while the SHL has improved their site over time, with the right amount of funds you could really put a bunch of money into a solid developer to make a site and spare no expense. I would make a super user friendly site along with a nice automatic updater that would absolutely trump the one that SBA has done with a nicer support staff as well. That should make every user we currently have super happy!

What would not make every user happy is that we would charge for use of the new updater and maybe have a mobile app for it as well that people could purchase on a subscription basis. It would not be super expensive and I would even probably consider an existing user discount and only new sign ups would be charged full price. The updater would have weekly activity checks, built in banking, TPE updating stuff easy and exports for simmers which currently the SBA updater does but you just don't get good or nice support from their portal czar. Our site and mobile app would also include advertisements as well to hopefully bring in extra money and as we grow we could maybe attract some bigger names in both the gaming and hockey world. I believe you can be profitable just from this and as you expand the outreach and continue to grow you can really do some cool things and still have a ton of money left. Maybe a really high quality league store as well with hats, jerseys, and other stuff as well will put it over the top!

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]