Create Account

S65 Fantasy Stats - SMJHL Edition
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2022, 03:21 PM by thiefofcheese. Edited 1 time in total.)

After a 4 season hiatus, I am back with some fantasy scores for the SMJHL players.  I used to try to do these 1-2x per season, but as my last was S61 I think I have completely failed at that.  But now the bank account is running low and I need to try to again squeeze in as many words as possible so everyone can read me drone on about some of the SMJHL players and their stats.  I really wish this was a double media piece, but maybe I can cash in on that in the final installment of the S65 SMJHL Fantasy which will (hopefully) come after this season is over.  Warning:  I am currently rostered on Detroit and am a bit of a homer but will try to keep my bias to a minimum (though we must all acknowledge STL smells like gym socks).

I'm following the SHL fantasy scoring mechanism for all of the below scores, making observations, and will provide some conjecture about this data that is very likely not all that defensible.  If you have any complaints, please direct them privately to my Public Relations rep @wumaduce.  If you have any compliments, please feel free to post them here for all to see.  I also used images for the metrics instead of text for ease of read (be nice graders!).

We'll start this recap with the skater numbers up to this point the S65 SMJHL regular season.  I pulled these around noon EST on 6/3 and there is a chance I submit this 1+ days later so I wanted to make sure that was clear.  We had 260 skaters (not including goalies) spend some time on the ice this season and I'll recap the top 20 fantasy scorers here following the SHL fantasy scoring.  While that does leave 240 skaters out, I also split the data in some non-standard ways to try to bring some different views into this process.

Without further ado, let's get into the numbers:

S65 Top 20 Fantasy Skaters

[Image: s65fant-1.png]

So there are quite a few things to look at here.  First off we have to start with the SMJHL Fantasy leader Shylo Moxii (@Shylo_Moxii) sitting on top of the standings with 346.8 total fantasy points.  He's followed by Louise St. Martin (@Valpix), also from QCC who is 37.5 points back.  This is quite the impressive showing by Quebec and shows that the set up man (actually I believe it is woman) role can really pay off in fantasy.  St. Martin is the one of only 2 players in the top 16 that have less than 70 goals and she is top of the standings in Shot Points with 206 shots on net.  In 3rd place is Ivan Lacksamus (me) from DET who is nearly 50 points back and behind Moxii in all categories.  QCC also has 5 players in the top 20 which is more than any other team in the league.

I spent some time going through the TPE for each of the top 20 players and found that only Bilbo Baggins (@Jester John) is below the TPE cap at 319 TPE, but he also seems to be IA.  Otherwise it should be of no surprise that the majority of the other players are above cap and playing at their full SMJHL potential.

Now I'll split the skaters into a number of other categories to give a glimpse at the data in some different ways.  Some of them may make sense, others not so much, but while I am trying to give some decent media here I am also looking for cash so it is a win win.

As we are mid season and not all teams have played the same amount of games I wanted to see who is leading on average fantasy points per game (total points / games played). 

S65 Top Fantasy Points Per Game

[Image: s65fant-2.png]

And here Moxii again takes the lead with an impressive 7.71 Points Per Game.  What surprised me here is that Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson (@sköldpaddor) is 4th in the Points Per Game list but does not make the top 20 players.  I dug into this a bit more and sure enough, Lias has only shown 34 games played out of Nevada's 42 total games.  Looks like he's played 10 games up with WPG so that has hurt his SMJHL standings.

We all know goalies are scored based on the team, but I thought I would take the same approach for skaters as well to see how the teams are doing in aggregate.  With QCC holding the most players in the top 20 I expected them to hold the top team spot as well, but the data never lies (unless I screwed up a formula and in that case it is the data's fault, not mine). 

S65 Top Fantasy Points By Aggregated Team

[Image: s65fant-3.png]

And to no one's surprise QCC is at the top again.  They are leading DET by just over 50 points and the numbers seem to indicate they will only increase that lead throughout the season...

However, not all teams have played the same amount of games this season.  So I'm going to normalize based on average team fantasy points per game and see how that looks.  This time I will go with a graph because who does not like a picture?

S65 Top Average Points Per Game By Aggregated Team

[Image: s65fant-4.png]

Well now it looks like DET will come out on top for the season.  Comparing these scores to the current standings we see a few teams that seem to be batting above their averages, but no huge surprises here either.  Goals For / Goals Against is not necessarily directly correlated to Wins and Losses.  But there are still 20+ games to be played by each team so this is in no way a sure thing.

S65 Worst of The Worst

Sorry to pick on these people, but I did this on a prior post and I have personally had the displeasure of being on this "Top 5" list before as well.  Give it time!

These are the bottom 5 fantasy score players that played a minimum of 22 games (roughly 1/2 of the season so far).  I previously included all games, but it is less fun when only 2 or 3 games were played. 

[Image: s65fant-5.png]

I will save these people from the tag, but hopefully this list can change by the end of the season.  Go get em guys!

S65 Goalie Teams

Now we will finally move on to the all important puck stoppers, our marvelous goalies!

[Image: s65fant-6.png]

Now it is time for STL to get some of the spotlight.  Led by Joshua CorcoranTwitch (@joshuacorcorantwitch) STL is on top by the thinnest of margins sitting 0.3 points ahead of DET. Part of my contract with DET is that I am not allowed to praise STL for anything at all, but you have to acknowledge a winning score when you see it.

Goalie scoring also has a lot to do with the number of shots that are faced throughout the season. And, as always in the FHM era, some teams are facing a lot more shots than others which can greatly impact that scoring. In the world of fantasy scoring it can pay off to see lots of shots (as long as you are blocking the majority) so I thought that comparing those numbers could be interesting as well.

S65 Shots Against By Team

[Image: s65fant-7.png]

Here we see that VAN "leads" in the amount of shots faced in S65 with 2100 pucks towards the net. Also notice that the top 5 teams on this list are generally at the bottom of the standings (no big surprise that more shots faced = more chances for Goals Against) but STL is sitting at #6 with 1503 shots faced, though they are sitting in 4th place in the league standings. This again shows that CorcoranTwitch is standing on his head and keeping STL in the game even when the defense is breaking down.

I also like to include all SMJHL goalie stats here as the list is not all that long and allows each of you crazy bastards to get a chance to see where you stand. We all know TPE doesn't matter in FHM6 so I thought this can help you all compare.

S65 All Goalie Scores

[Image: s65fant-8.png]

Here we see that BASE PACK (@slothfacekilla) is on top with 45 games played and a total of 243.4 points, just narrowly edging out CorcoranTwitch by 0.5 points. This is quite the feat for the 2nd year player, but it appears he isn't sharing ice time with any other serious goalie as Mr. Lightning is a 155 TPE IA. Bask in that fantasy glory SFK!

Well that is all for today folks! I intend to do a similar post at the end of the season (and hopefully double draft media) but I make no promises.

1,494 words + lots of spreadsheets

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

Awesome!

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]

06-03-2022, 03:23 PMChevy Wrote: Awesome!

Just saying - the username change really threw me for a loop.

Hope all is well man!

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

06-03-2022, 03:28 PMthiefofcheese Wrote:
06-03-2022, 03:23 PMChevy Wrote: Awesome!

Just saying - the username change really threw me for a loop.

Hope all is well man!

Its Subterfuge!  

Yep, decent here!  Hope things are good with you!  Outlungus

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]

curse my glorious destiny in winnipeg, tanking my J fantasy points.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

I love that BASE PACK is complete garbage but since he's playing a ton (when not pulled) he stacked a ton of points. Truly what I aspire to in real life.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Hey that's me

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

Damn that's some great stuff!

Not doing so great personnaly, but it's my first year so I hope I will perform better in the next seasons.

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]