Create Account

Sophie and Jamie (+ index)
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2024, 09:56 PM by boom. Edited 11 times in total.)

[1354 words, ready for grading]

Note: I decided to do something extra for this one and figured that I'd include every previous chapter in order as a sort of index, just in case people want to read the entire series. I thought about making the index its own post, but I figured it would be easier to include here. It won't be in future posts in this long form, but I'll link back to this post in future chapters and keep it updated.

this one goes more into the love story side since it's the offseason, enjoy!

Sophie's Story

Season 0

Chapter 0.0: 5 Players to Keep an Eye On for S67
Chapter 0.1: Handling Hype
Chapter 0.2: Handling Hype Part 2: The Draft and the Dark Side
Chapter 0.3: Watched
Chapter 0.4: Words
Chapter 0.5: Choices
Chapter 0.6: The Long Road
Chapter 0.7: A Roll of the Dice
Chapter 0.8: Girl on Fire
Chapter 0.9: Back To The Way That Things Were

Season 1

Chapter 1.1: Homecoming
Chapter 1.2: Big League
Chapter 1.3: Excellence

Season 2

Chapter 2.1: New Directions
Chapter 2.1a: The Alternate Universe (non-canon)
Chapter 2.2: A Thrilling Ride
Chapter 2.3: Big Changes
Chapter 2.4: California to Latvia

Season 3

Chapter 3.1: Sophie and Jamie
Chapter 3.2: Reckoning
Chapter 3.3: Heartbreak

Season 4

Chapter 4.1: History
Chapter 4.2: Turning Points
Chapter 4.3: The Long Way Home, Part 1
Chapter 4.4: The Long Way Home, Part 2

Season 5

Chapter 5.1: A New Beginning
Chapter 5.2: The Big Day

Season 6

Chapter 6.1: Leaps and Bounds

Season 7

Chapter 7.1: Together
Chapter 7.2: The Trade
Chapter 7.3: Alberta Bound

Season 8

Chapter 8.1: Hopes and Dreams, Part 1
Chapter 8.2: Barriers (Ana Chapter)

Season 9

Chapter 9.1: Bright Lights, Big City (Ana Chapter)
Chapter 9.2: Hopes and Dreams, Part 2

Season 10

Chapter 10.1: Superstar

Season 11

Chapter 11.1: Choosing Sides
Chapter 11.2: Go West, Young Lady (Ana Chapter)

Season 12

Chapter 12.1: The End of the Line (Sophie's Finale)

Ana's Story

Season 0

Chapter 0.1: The Goalie
Chapter 0.2: Icebreaker
Chapter 0.3: Home and Away (takes place concurrently/just after Alberta Bound; at this point the timelines converge and chapters are listed with the main story)
Chapter 0.4: Barriers
Chapter 0.5: Bright Lights, Big City

Season 1

Chapter 1.1: Go West, Young Lady
Chapter 1.2: Draft Day
Chapter 1.3: Phenom

With the IIHF tournament over and the offseason well underway, Sophie Bordeleau was settling into a pretty good offseason routine at home in Trois-Rivieres. She trained on the ice and in the gym most days, spent time with her family, and now that hockey was on the backburner for a little bit Sophie was getting to explore some other hobbies. She cooked new recipes, tried out some writing on the side to help with thoughts, and worked on designing a dream house with her longtime girlfriend Jamie. Even though it might have been a movie trope to get with a high school sweetheart, neither Sophie nor Jamie had any regrets and they loved their unconventional life together. Early in the offseason, Sophie approached her partner with an interesting proposition. "I've been looking at the calendar for the Pride prospects camp, and it's near the end of Pride Month. I know you have that fair coming up, and to celebrate after I was wondering if you wanted to take a trip across the country to San Francisco? I know it would be a long trip, but I think we could have a really great time and make some memories together." Jamie turned away from her painting to look at her girlfriend, beaming. "I'd love to! I've always wanted to take a trip with you, and I think it'll be a really lovely time," she smiled. Sophie's happiness could not be contained and she pulled Jamie into a hug. "I'm so excited," she whispered into her ear. "I love you and I'm thankful that I get to take this step with you," she said, pulling back and meeting her partner's eyes with hers.

And so off they went on a trip across the country, looking forward to adventures unknown while also knowing that they'd have their little home to return back to afterwards. They drove through big cities and small towns, seeing many of the greatest landmarks along with hidden gems along the way they'd heard about from their friends back home. While being in a small space with one person for a while could be a bit cramped, Sophie and Jamie had an easygoing partnership and they enjoyed seeing the sights together, and the long days driving were made fun with plenty of songs to experience together. After two weeks on the road and seeing the country's wonders, the night lights of San Francisco were at last becoming visible. Sophie was driving on this last leg, and looking over briefly she saw Jamie, asleep on the passenger seat and looking at ease. Though no one could see it, she smiled with complete adoration. The two had been inseparable since she was 16, and the soon-to-be 19-year-old hockey star felt a wave of delight that she could get to experience her journey in life with someone so caring and spirited.

Now in San Francisco, the pair were at last experiencing the city's pride parade for the first time. While they'd been at Montreal's pride parade, the energy at this one was just more intense and more excited. This was arguably the biggest and oldest festival in the country, and Sophie felt so honoured to be in an event celebrating and full of people like her. While Trois-Rivieres was usually a pretty accepting place, her and Jamie would still sometimes get odd looks when they held hands in public or were cuddly together. In an environment this devoted to celebrating queerness and acceptance, Sophie felt safe and loved. Marching in the parade, she felt a feeling of empowerment swelling inside her seeing the faces of wonder in the crowd and waving her lesbian pride flag. There were people from all walks of life and age, from seniors who had been attending Pride for decades to children who were just discovering their identities and seeing out and proud people for the first time. These people would be the future generation, and Sophie felt grateful to have the opportunity to be part of this incredible experience for everyone. 

The Pride's prospect camp was an exciting time for Sophie. With another year of SMJHL experience under her belt, she felt stronger and faster, and wasn't as tired after going through drills. She'd be one of the top forwards for the Citadelles when the season got started, but for now she was just another prospect in the San Francisco system. Sophie had another two years to go in the SMJHL before she'd make the jump to the big leagues, but as the camp ended she felt energized and encouraged by what she'd shown this week. The road trip home was just as exciting. Even with a two-week trip, there were still plenty of places that Sophie and Jamie hadn't been able to visit on the way out, so they were able to hit those on the way back and have even more memories together. A couple weeks later, they were back in Quebec at last, and they settled in for a somewhat-relaxing summer before Sophie had to get back to training camp.

Shortly into August, things were still very good at home. With a few weeks left until the start of camp, Sophie and her family went to attend a cousin's wedding in the bigger city of Montreal. The day was full of pomp and circumstance, and everything looked perfectly beautiful, especially the bride and groom. They'd met in college and had been together for several years, and in their preparations it was clear to anyone that they loved each other very much. As the ceremony started and the bride started down the aisle in her white dress, Sophie was kind of lost in thought. What would it be like if this day came around for her? How would things happen with a queer wedding? Despite being somewhat unsure, she was overall in a dreamy mood. Someday, if things went well, it would be her walking up the aisle to meet her future wife and celebrating their love with her family and friends. This thought didn't go away over the next couple days, and she found herself lost in thought during her workout and having trouble focusing. To clear her head and get some time to think, Sophie went for an evening walk and found herself in a familiar place, like pulling on an old pair of shoes and having them fit perfectly. She strode past the sign that said "Cimetiere Saint-Louis" and carefully stepped between the gravestones until she found the one marking her great-aunt Yvette. Sophie had been here a few times since making the SMJHL to visit and think, though she hadn't been in a while. She took a bouquet of flowers that she'd gotten from a store on the way over and left them in the water, keeping this space beautiful. With that done, Sophie stood in front of the stone and bowed her head in contemplation. "I'm so in love, Auntie," she said to no one in particular. "She completes me, she's my biggest cheerleader, and I'm her muse," continuing as if her great-aunt could hear her. "I've never felt like this about anyone before, and I know I'm only 19 so I'm not sure if I'm too young, but she means everything to me," Sophie finished. Sitting down on the wet grass in front of the headstone, she pulled something from her pocket. "You're wise and brave. What do you think I should do with this?"

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]