Create Account

S66 PT #3: Breakaway Challenge
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2022, 10:43 AM by jeffie43.)

Hockey Prompt

I think that the SHL should continue to use shootouts to end games. I think that it is a fair way to determine a winner, and it is a good way to generate excitement at the end of a game with players being able to showcase their individual one on one talents and goalies being able to showcase their abilities in a different way. The pressure also creates an incredible effect for fans just like the 3v3 format in the NHL. I do think that the SHL should consider using ties instead of shootouts, as I think that it would be a more fair way to end a game as both teams had worked hard to earn the points and it would be unfair to let it go to shootout which does not really reflect who the winner should be due to how different it is compared to an actual 5 on 5 game.

[Image: jackkanoff.gif]

[Image: jeffiesigs.gif]
Nour is pretty hot ngl

Creative prompt.

So it seems we're making this like the SHL's version of the basketball dunk contest, right? Alright, let's make a little obstacle course. I will attempt to jump over a brand new Kia automobile whilst wearing a bedazzled throwback uniform from those classic Pride teams of yesteryear. I will get some sort of hockey loving celebrity who will also be decked out in only the most outlandish San Francisco Pride attire to slide a puck over to me. Who would be available? Can we get Justin Bieber? Does he like hockey? He's Canadian, right? Canadians like hockey. What about Drake? He's good at pretending he's a fan of sports teams. Let's get Drake. So Alex will jump over the car, maybe do a little flip, Drake will send over the puck, Alex will do a double axel and then slide the puck into the goal, past a goalie that is a lion for some reason. We'll shoot flames from somewhere because this needs flames, and then the crowd will cheer. Nothing bad will happen.

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)

I don’t mind the NHL using shootouts to end the game, but the problem is that people still tend to “play for the shootout” and take their chances. A shootout is awesome and exciting most of the time. Look at how fun they can be in international play. The inherent problem isn’t so much with the shootout as it is with how teams play to get there in order to not get hurt, etc. You can’t have an extended OT or anything. The season is too long and adding infinite amounts of time to games will only hurt teams and players along the way. The NHL needs to adopt a different scoring format. More than likely you would get 3 points for a Win and only one point for an overtime or shootout loss. This will go on to make the shootouts that much more important (its now a two point swing with 3 points for a win and only 1 for a SO loss) which will make them much more exciting. PLUS, teams will still go hard for the 3 points in just the 3 on 3 OT format, because again, why wouldn’t you go hard for those two extra points at all times? It also eliminates “playing for the OT point” in regulation time since again, those two points youd get over your opponent are much more valuable than just getting the one. Either way, the shootout is a fun, acceptable way to end a regular season game, but don’t ever, ever, fucking take away the continuous OT of the NHL playoffs. (264)

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

Oh boy I have some thoughts about this. I despised it when the NHL switched many years ago and while I think there have been some cool highlights such as Matt Hendricks randomly fooling goalies with the exact same move for a couple of seasons, I still think it’s a gimmick even after all these years and I will die on this hill. If the teams can’t find a way to win after 65 minutes, then they deserve a tie and that’s what I would do. I do find the 3 on 3 format weird as well and I don’t think it really shows off any defensive skill and is really all about who can control the puck the longest without doing something stupid, but that at least makes a bit more sense than ending a game in a skills competition. I’m very glad they haven’t found a way to mess up playoff overtime yet, but I sense it won’t be too long before they do that.

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2022, 11:53 AM by Benpachi.)

CREATIVE PROMPT

Roddy will be pulling out all the stops on the Break Away Challenge! 

Dressed as a lumberjack, He will start at center ice, and dramatically rip the sleeves off of his jersey and flex the guns for the crowd. Then, he'll fire up a chainsaw, and sit on it to ride like a tiny, pissed-off go-kart with teeth. He'll ride the chainsaw into the offensive zone, to build up speed, before ditching the saw. He'll then hit an ice ramp just inside the blueline, do a full backflip and grab his stick midair, where it was suspended off a wire. He'll land the flip, grab the puck from where it started on the hashmarks (not legal, but go with it). A quick deke to the forehand-backhand and give 'em the Forsberg.

Obviously, can of beer waiting on the corner boards, which he'll shotgun, using an axe to pierce the can.

[Image: banes.png]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid and swoosh for sigs!

You've got one breakaway attempt on national television with no holds barred. You have to pull off the most fun, exciting, theatrical breakaway attempt in SHL history. Costumes? Sure. Wires from the ceiling that help you fly? Why not. Fireworks on your skates? Absolutely! This barely even has to be a hockey moment. As long as you put the puck on net and entertain the fans, you're doing your job. (150+ words)

Breakaway Challenge is the most exciting part of the All Star event for almost everybody who attends or even watches at home. This year I have been asked to participate, and I have some pretty cool ideas that haven't been attempted yet. My breakaway challenge attempt will feature some pretty cool highlights. First I will lower to the ice on a zipline from up in the rafters on the opposite end of the ice. I will than have an epic Jackie Chan style fight sequence with the different SHL mascots attempting to stop my attempt. Finally, I will hop on a Back to the Future hoverboard as I make my way towards to net and take my shot attempt. I close my eyes and with a long deep breath, I take my shot and hear the crowd erupt in applause as the puck crosses the line and I successfully score on an incredible spectacle.

Hockey prompt

I actually loved watching shootouts as a kid, but now I find them kinda boring. I guess it's the same thing as the all star game, loved it as a kid, don't care for it now. It feels like a disappointment when a close high-scoring game ends in a shootout. I guess that's still better than a tie, but I think the most fun option would be an infinite sudden death 3 on 3 overtime. 3 on 3 overtimes are fun to watch because there is so much more open ice which gives star players an opportunity to make jaw-dropping plays, so I don't think you'll find many fans who would be opposed to replacing shootouts with an infinite 3 on 3 overtime. Only people who might be against it are the coaches and the players themselves, because this would lead to longer minutes and potentially more injuries. So it's probably not a feasible option, however, extending it from 5 to 10 minutes feels like a good middle ground.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

I chose the HOCKEY PROMPT.

I used to enjoy shootouts when I was younger, but as I get older, I tend to not like them as much and I think that's because of the new 3on3 overtime format the NHL put in place a couple of years ago. It's exciting and thrilling, you're on the edge of your seats as teams exhange scoring chance and skate down the ice at a very fast pace. While it helped to cut down the amount of shootouts we see in a season, it comes with one big negative: as time winds down, teams stop taking risks and just keep the puck, thinking they have more chance to win the game in shootout than to risk a giveaway and a scoring chance. I pretty much only watch the Canadiens and they do that most of the time and... it sucks. I don't know if other teams do it too, but I think just playing 3on3 until a team score would bring much more excitement to a game than just waiting for a the shootout to score.

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2022, 01:30 PM by The__Y-man__100. Edited 1 time in total.)

Being selected for the SMJHL break away challenge is a huge honour. It shows the league and the fans respect my creativity on the ice and they want to see the raw talent in action. So the real question remains then, what move will I attempt to perform? I could go the flashy route and get a bunch of props and put on a show, or I could try a move that’s never been done before and think outside the box with how I’m going to handle the puck.

Leading the SMJHL in points is a lot of work, so I decided to go less flashy and more skilled base. Wearing a Ukrainian flag as my cape, I began skating down the ice at a noticeably fast speed and I start right into the goalies soul. Fore hand, back hand, fore hand, the goalie and fans are left in suspense! Out of nowhere I lift a skate off the ice and kick my stick for the shot! BAR DOWN SNIPE!!! The goalie could not believe what had just happened!

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

Friedensreich Hundertwasser comes out dressed in a full tuxedo and dress skates (if that's a thing) dun diddle duh dun, dudundundun - if you couldn't tell that was the start of the James bond theme tune. Hundertwasser gets the Puck shot out of a harpoon gun and chases it down the rink, dodging ducking dipping diving and dodging past a series of bad guys dressed in trench coats and top hats.
He loses the Puck, all of a sudden an Aston Martin DB9 comes out onto the ice. Hundertwasser steals the car and fires its mini guns at the bad guys, fucking them all up. He starts putting on some sick moves, using the stick out of the window of the DB9 he jukes one defender, runs over another, then fires the harpoon net out of the front of the car right at the Goalie. He pulls up and let's off the most amazing slapshot ever sinking the Puck into the top of the net

[Image: Hockeymans.gif]
[Image: E8Qr7c5.gif]
Sigs by: Rum Ham, Orbiting Death x2, Enigmatic & Kyamprac

I don’t have any ideas really. I thought about making up something about Lemo again using something from his outdoorsman lore to make his shooutout attempt special, but I'm too worn out to figure anything out right now. 

Maybe he'd disguise himself in some kind of reflective camouflage suit so he'd appear invisible on the ice and only the moving puck would be seen, or maybe the stick also and he'd attempt to beat the goalie somehow like that? 

Or maybe he'd use something like a fishing rod and have the puck on a line and attempt to flip it past the goalie from a distance? 

Or maybe he'd swing down from the rafters like Tarzan to make his attempt? 

I'm too tired to actually elaborate on any of these ideas, if they can be called such. I'm not feeling well and not sure how long I have left in the league. I think the only thing keeping me around right now is just a sense of obligation towards my teammates, but not much beyond that. As such, Lemo might as well just surprise everyone by not showing up at all, for all we know...

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31

Creative Prompt:

For Ricky Koivu's special shootout attempt that everyone was watching (not really, who would wanna watch Ricky Koivu take a shootout attempt?), he brought in several special guests to accompany the attempt. Ricky starts by passing the puck off to oldest brother Paul Koivu, who does a spin move then plays it down to the other length of the ice, where out of nowhere Tommi Koivu appears and skates full speed up the ice with the puck. Suddenly, Wide Peepo Happy 3 Koivu hops off the bench and slams Tommi with a hard hit (he is fine, obviously). As WPH3 begins striding up the ice with the puck, Jolmi Koivu pops in and grabs the puck while the dust is settling from the previous sequence of events. After a slick zone entry, Jolmi passes it across to where his brother and teammate Binko Koivu is waiting to one time it in -- but what's this? Gabe Johnson has come in and taken the puck instead! Suddenly Johnson has the chance to set the world alight by finishing the play, but instead he hilariously misses and sends the puck out of play so the shootout attempt has to suddenly end being unfinished. Whoops! (200 words)

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

ok so i don't know for how long does the shootouts in hockey decided the game, but from my point of view, shootouts can be really bad decision or good decision to use for deciding the winner. We can take example from football, long before they have the golden goals rules to decide the winner, but now they have penalty shootout just like shootouts in hockey, maybe we can use golden goals rules to decide the game? hockey shootouts just like what Major league soccer do to decide the winner in the past, not penalty shootout but the player will run with the ball and try to score goal just the same like hockey shootouts. So it works both way for me , hockey or football maybe bringing back golden goal rules gonna be the best for the team and for the fans also right? but maybe for hockey just use overtime rules 3vs3, gonna be good right?

SSL Affiliate Claim

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR