Create Account

The Indelible Mark!

[Image: Daniel_Swift_Signature-3_Carpy48.png]

This is the story of a man, his legacy, and the indelible mark he left on those who remain behind. Paul "Buddy" Woods grew up in a poor family in New Brunswick, Canada, where times were tough and the people even tougher. His birth name was Paul, but to the people of his small hometown he was "Buddy," mostly for his inquisitive nature and his relentless desire to be in the middle of whatever was going on. Buddy had a hard childhood, where everyday was a struggle just to get by, and a desperate attempt to make due with what little they had. There were always more mouths to feed in the family than food to go around, so Buddy had to grow up far too soon in the face of the harsh realities of life.

In response to all the hardship around him, Buddy was gradually driven to become a scrapper, a street wise adolescent who saw this lifestyle as perhaps his best and only conceivable way to survive. Hardly a day went by that he wasn't involved in a school yard fight, until the school finally expelled him and his parents threw him out on the street. All of which left him, for the first time in his young life, truly all alone.

If the story ended there it would be sad indeed, but this was merely an early chapter of a saga that had many more twists and turns. Gazing upon Buddy, he was hardly an imposing man. Some would even say small for his disposition. On the exterior he was extremely hardened and rough, but deep down inside there was a small spark of a tender, caring heart. In all the years Buddy struggled that spark never went out. It remained steadfast through every trial and tribulation burning ever brighter until it became a beacon that refused to let him go quietly into the night.

Some may say it would take a miracle, but Buddy needed to find purpose in his life. He needed to scratch and claw and make something of himself, and he did just that in a small northern town where people like Buddy were welcomed with open arms. By now Buddy had a fire in his eyes and passion burning in his heart, and that's all it took to win the greatest battle of his life. He steadfastly became a student of the game, never missing an opportunity to learn all he could and pass that knowledge along. He shared his passion for the game with anyone who was willing to listen and no one ever walked away doubting his commitment.

I'm not sure if he even knew it, but Buddy taught life lessons just by being himself. The will to win and the drive to survive was so ingrained into his soul that it literally seeped out through every pour. Buddy's drive became an inseparable part of his message, and anyone who ever experienced it would agree its commanding presence was undeniable. 

From an early age, I looked up to Paul "Buddy" Woods. In many ways he was a second father figure and a person who taught me a great many things you can't learn in a book. Buddy was my first ever hockey coach, and today I learned of his passing. My heart is torn, and my mind flooded with so many memories.

Buddy's life was a life well lived, yet I remain conflicted over his loss. When you only ever have two or three true mentors in your life, the loss of even one is irreplaceable. And so I draw to a close and respectfully dedicate this writing to my coach, my mentor and my friend, Paul "Buddy" Woods. Thank you for everything you ever taught me, and for everything I learned even when you thought I wasn't listening. Love you coach! Heart

Quote:671 Heartfelt Words!

A proud member of the Season 67 [Image: 4star.png] Four Star Cup champion Maine Timber!!  Timber

[Image: swift.png]

Maine Timber Alternate Captain!  Timber

Thanks to @Merica for the sig!

- - - - - - -

[Image: popcorn.gif] If you Heart hockey  Fan Fiction, (FHM style): Click Here!

Amazing work, you're a very talented writer! Always looking forward to your media!

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

Good to know you have a Tam al'Thor as well

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Buddy sounds like a great coach, and an even better person.

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

08-30-2022, 07:44 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: Amazing work, you're a very talented writer! Always looking forward to your media!

Thank you for your wonderful comments! All that you said, means more than I can say!  Ilike

08-30-2022, 10:44 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: Good to know you have a Tam al'Thor as well

Thanks for sharing! It's very helpful to know someone else understands, especially from having walked a similar path!  Ilike

08-30-2022, 10:51 PMRAmenAmen Wrote: Buddy sounds like a great coach, and an even better person.

Thank you for your kind words! You didn't have to reach out, but you did, and I thank you for that!  Ilike

A proud member of the Season 67 [Image: 4star.png] Four Star Cup champion Maine Timber!!  Timber

[Image: swift.png]

Maine Timber Alternate Captain!  Timber

Thanks to @Merica for the sig!

- - - - - - -

[Image: popcorn.gif] If you Heart hockey  Fan Fiction, (FHM style): Click Here!