Create Account

S67 Championship Week Due: November 6th @ 11:59 PM (PST)
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2022, 11:25 PM by dogwoodmaple. Edited 5 times in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Code: dogwood

4. Written, 3 TPE, Tough to Swallow (150 words min.)

This might be recency bias taking over, but I'm going to advocate for my Toronto North Stars here as the best team not to win the title.  The most obvious and glaring reason is our incredible offense.  We had a four-headed monster of elite forwards who constantly kept defenses and goaltenders on their toes and kept opposing head coaches up at night. We had four players in the top nine in total points and had the fiercest offensive attack in recent memory. Not to mention that we finished the regular season with the league's best goal differential and were the top team in our division and conference.  Couple that with being third-best in goals allowed and this was a team that had everything you could want in a championship contender.  Great offense, great defense, and one of the best coaching staffs in all of hockey.  Our run was cut short, however, in the second round thanks to a red-hot Patriotes squad that was unstoppable.  I have no doubt that we'll come back stronger than ever next season, though. (178 words)

5. Written, 3 TPE, Hotel Rooms (150 words min)

Fortunately, my agent and I advocated for a clause in my most recent contract which allowed me not to have a roommate on the road.  I've always preferred that and it was important to get it formally in writing.  My ritual is to check into the team hotel and immediately crank the air conditioning as low as it can possibly go before heading out to dinner with the rest of the team.  After a full meal, I like to get in bed early and  make as much headway on my Netflix queue as I possibly can.  Sometimes it can be tough to find the time, but I've found that the days on the road as the best time to catch up on my movies and television shows.  Plus, you cannot overstate the importance of sleep, especially if we're in the midst of a long road trip. It's very easy to get off schedule with practice, training, and sleep, which can have an adverse impact on our play.  I like to get my full eight hours at least and do everything I can to help us rack up those road wins. (190 words)

7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3284081

18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
I have to say, I was surprised at how the playoffs went.  I expected our Toronto North Stars to make a run to the finals and have a shot at hoisting the Cup, but it was all for naught.  That Montreal team absolutely carved us up and it was clear that they were playing better hockey than we were in that series.  It stung for sure, but in some ways I think it'll motivate us for next season to get back to the postseason and give it another shot.  Some of the outcomes in the series were no doubt impacted by the new engine which we're all still learning our way through.  Chaos can be fun, though. I just wish it wasn't at our expense this season! (137 words)

23. Written, 2 TPE, Say Something Nice (100 words min.)

I would be remiss if I didn't start with my current GM, @Wally!  I've loved my time in Toronto and hopefully I'll be here the rest of my career, and a lot of that is due to Wally and the way he runs this franchise.  Always approachable, always energetic, always there to lend a helping hand.  I don't think I had ever even talked to Wally before I was traded so I wasn't sure to expect, but it didn't take long to realize that he's a great GM, great guy, and a true asset to the league.  His management makes me enjoy SHL on a daily basis and I know that he does everything possible to put the best lineup out on the ice night in and night out.  Here's to Wally!

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

SHL/SMJHL Finals

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

CW TRIVIA LINK

scruf

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE, You’re Weird (150 words min.)
During long playoff runs or exceptional mid-season winning streaks players have been known to do some crazy things in order to keep the luck going. What’s the weirdest superstition your player or someone in your locker room has? Did it actually work?

My exceptional streak is an ironman streak.  So my weird superstitions are things to keep me healthy and in skating shape.  First thing I do is eat a raw egg every morning.  I hate this one if I'm being honest, but I did it back in S45 on a dare and haven't missed a game since.  Doctors hate me for this one simple trick.  (Because it's a bad trick and they hate when people try to copy it and get sick)

The second thing I do is show up to the rink. Sounds weird, but for every game that I have shown up to the rink, I have not missed that game.  My friend once did not show up to the rink, and the coach scratched him!  It could have been that he didn't show up because he was scratched, but it is hard to tell correlation from causation sometimes.

Anyway, trick number three is to play in a league without injuries turned on.  I've seen hundreds of players in this league but I've never seen a single injury.  Weird indeed.

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE (1 TPE)
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

1 TPE

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3284007

IIHF

Code:
17. Written, 3 TPE, Nu Metals (150 words min.)
Gold, silver, and bronze are old news! Also we’re running out of them in the simulated world so we can’t be wasting it all on simulated medals! Choose new metals to be used for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place at this year's tournament, and tell me why you chose them.

The reason we are changing from Gold, Silver, and Bronze are because it's not sustainable.  It's both not sustainable from a supply side perspective, there's not enough to go around!, and from an environmental perspective, the extraction process is a real doozy on the old environment.  Therefore, today we are announcing the new Earth Friendly Green Medals.

For third place, we are rolling out the "Air Medal", it's just a glass bottle with air in it.  I don't know if the glass is anymore sustainable than the bronze, but the air is free!

For second place, we are rolling out the "Dirt Medal", again a glass bottle, but this time with dirt in it.  Ok, I'm thinking that glass might be more sustainable than silver because glass is made from sand.  What's more abundant than air? Maybe dirt!

For first place, it's time for the "Water Medal", you probably guessed that it's a glass bottle filled with water.  There is lots of water in the ocean and water gives life.  I think people will appreciate the bottles of earth friendly materials.

Also, we will reuse the glass bottles year over year, so please deposit your earth material into your own receptacle and return your cleaned bottle to the nearest IIHF training facility.  You may need to drive or fly some distance, but please consider that the bottles must be reused to save the planet.

Beyond Prompts

Code:
20. Written, 3 TPE, Championship Leek (150 words min.)
If you were the judge of a Leek competition, what would you be looking for? How would you choose the championship Leek? Aesthetics only? Is taste a factor for you? How do you weigh each factor in your decision? Tell me, in 150 words, how you would define the perfect championship winning Leek.

The Leek competition is actually a cooking competition where the Leek has to be incorporated into a dish.  We tried a raw Leek competition for a few years, but no one really bought into it.  In fact, while we have the Leek displays set up, people tried to buy them like it was a weirdly niche farmer's market.

So what I'm looking for in my Leek judgement is how well they can hide the flavor while still obviously being a Leek-centric dish.  I have eaten so many gosh darn Leeks in one sitting,  I can hardly take it any more.  I want a cheese burger, so give me a cheese burger with a slightly Leek forward slaw on the side.  Honestly, bring a Big Mac and place the leek next to it and you will win.

Anyway, I've been fired from the leek competition because I have been unfaithful to our beloved leek.  Please fund my patreon for more anti-leek content because those are the only followers I have at this stage in life.

Code:
21. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Speedrunning (150 words min.)
Speedrunning is a huge movement in the video game world, and frankly I feel like the SHL is falling behind in this department. Pitch me a few different speedrun categories we could have in the SHL. Take it seriously! Or don’t! Is there any actual potential in this idea, or am I silly for suggesting it? As a graphic option, depict your player as a Twitch streamer going for a world record in the game of your choice!

I'd like to offer the exact opposite.  In my career, I did a solid speedrun of success.  I won 3 Four Star cups in my time in the junior league which was a great time.  5 seasons later, I won back to back IIHF gold medals as the Federation Head of Team USA which was also a great time. 

However, my real impressive talent is playing for over 20 seasons without winning the Challenge Cup or any individual awards.  Instead of speed running, I think we should slow run SHL careers.  Trying to win a Challenge Cup in the early seasons of your career is a matter of luck.  You are somewhat at the mercy of where you are drafted unless you get into somewhat hairy practices.  Losing for 20+ seasons takes a decent degree of stubborness.

Granted, I would jump at the chance to play for a winning team, but until that point, I am totally doing this all on purpose for the chance to be the slow run king of the SHL.  If you could just recognize this as actually a success story, that would be great, thanks.

Code:
I’m not sure when we did this last, so that probably means it’s a good time to bring back the positivity prompt! Tag some other folks on the site and let them know why you appreciate them! Could be a GM, a friend, a department head, anyone! The goal is to make someone happy.

I'll use this little corner to share some appreciation for the GMs that keep putting my dusty old bones out there on the ice long after they were worthy of even second pair minutes.  I'll also add the teams themselves because I like popping into the locker rooms with mostly eager new people and some familiar faces from my too-long career.  As long as y'all keep putting me in skates, I will keep grinding out the junkiest junk minutes you have for me.

Most recently, that has been Joe and the Specters.  I'm glad I could come score some bizarre playoff goals with y'all. It wouldn't have been the same with any other team.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

Milestones - 3 tpe
S67 Milestones

Affiliate - 3 tpe
ISFL Affiliate: Sebster

Trivia - 3 tpe
Verification word: pizza

As someone who has picked Seattle to win it all ever since my first season after being called up, I was finally correct! The playoffs did go exactly as I predicted (at least the Seattle part did) so I am pretty happy with that. I think I, as well as most of Seattle, were expecting to do a little bit better in the regular season given the moves that we made this offseason. There were certainly some times that we felt we were a bit unlucky, but in the end we ended up taking home the big trophy so none of that matters!
Wc: 103

For this part I want to give a special shoutout to my GM, Tig. Tig (or Tigothy as I lovingly call him) has put up with me for quite some time now and has finally been rewarded for it. He will probably confirm this, but I pester him every week about where I should be spending my TPE given the fact that I know nothing about hockey, nor the sim that we play on. He has made the Seattle locker room a fantastic place to hang out with many other friends from around the league. And busty is there, so that’s somewhat of a positive I guess.
Wc: 107

I think one of the coolest things that we could do for speedrunning would be “How fast can you build a dynasty from nothing?” To start, I guess I would have to define what a dynasty is, and in my eyes that would be 3 championships in 5 years. So, to set this up, you would have to start a franchise mode as the GM of the worst rated team in NHL 23. Then, much like I said above, your job would be to win 3 championships in 5 years as quickly as possible. This would take a master class of trading, free agent negotiating, strategy setting, and prioritization of offseason tasks. I don’t know much about the NHL series, but in the NBA 2k series, you have many offseason tasks to do. The most important of those being scouting prospects, drafting prospects, then spending points in your offseason training. I would assume that the NHL series has something like this to draft new players and then upgrade them over the offseason. If I had to guess, I think the best record at this would be 7 years, 2 to build the dynasty then 5 more years for the dynasty to play out.
Wc: 203

[Image: 8pRoFZH.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 12:44 AM by Good_Ole_Kimmy. Edited 5 times in total.)

Code:
Champion
3/16

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
Thread
6/16

Code:
During long playoff runs or exceptional mid-season winning streaks players have been known to do some crazy things in order to keep the luck going. What’s the weirdest superstition your player or someone in your locker room has? Did it actually work?
Jolmi Koivu of the Colorado Raptors, A Simulation Major Junior Hockey League team, and left wing prospect of the Simulation Hockey League team the Hamilton Steelhawks has some very funny and peculiar superstitions that his teammates think are quite quirky. One superstition that Jolmi Koivu always does is tying his right skate before his left skate. The reason that he ties his left before his right and not his right before his left is because he is left handed and he always starts his stride with him left foot. Another odd tradition that Jolmi Partakes in is stepping onto the ice with him right foot instead of his left and not his left instead of his right. He does this beacuse when tying his skates he touches the right skate last therefore wants to put the skate he touched last on the ice first. Those are some of the silly things Jolmi Koivu does during a playoff run. (158 words)
9/16

Code:
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s results? How do you feel about season two of FHM 8?
I think this season was pretty fun overall. Obviously FHM is gonna FHM so some teams super over performed and some unperformed, but I'm of the opinion that is just how real sports goes so it's really not that big of a deal to me. I think that the switch to FHM8 has been interesting, nothing crazy. Personally as someone who is only causally paying attention to the SHL I don't see too much of a difference from previous seasons  which I think is a good thing overall. I wish Colorado had won a cup with Jolmi Koivu but at the end of the day I played for a couple great GMs with Colorado and I we got pretty close all things considered. (123 words)
11/16

Code:
During the playoffs it’s not uncommon to have to spend several days on the road in the same city. Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, who does your player share a room with on the road? What do you get up to? Are you the type to drag around a PS5 everywhere you go, or are you the first to hit the bar after the game? Are you a night owl or an early riser?
On the road with the Colorado Raptors Left Wing Jolmi Koivu of the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League gets up to no good. His favorite city to visit is of course Colorado as that is where his home is but other than that it would have to be any team outside of Canada. Even though Jolmi Koivu himself is Canadian, he hates all things Canadian including the cities. Most commonly on road trips he plays video games with his roommates. Since Jolmi has played so many seasons with Colorado he has had a revolving group that he has shared a room with, his rookie and sophomore seasons he was with Evan Winter. The reason being that they paired him with a vet so that he could learn a bit about the league and how to be successful. The following two seasons he roomed with  Tom Pedersen because they had become good friends, they had both been part of the same entry draft and both had seen success playing on the same line as on another so the chemistry was there for them. They bonded through playing video games and going out to eat. (193 words)
14/16

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
c. At this point in the playoffs, Manhattan has played four more games than Seattle. With the schedule as tight as it is in the playoffs, do you think that extra hockey will affect them? Could it be a positive that MAN has been in a near constant routine of game days while SEA has seen a bit more rest? Or do you think that wear and tear will start to show on MAN if this series goes to 6 or 7 games?

d. In many ways this seems like a battle of who can stay hotter longer. Both teams have PDO ratings as high as 110 while barely having any players that dip below 100. Seattle and Manhattan are both on absolute heaters of strong goalies and high shooting percentages. What do you think is driving this, and who do you think can keep it going longer? Who comes out on top?
c. I think the debate about whether or not more games played benefits or hurts a team is very interesting. To me, I would say that it depends on the games. If you are playing a lot of close physical games the team is more likely to be worn out by the end and in that sense more likely to lose. On the other hand, if the team is really rolling teams and it looks like they are getting hot at the right time I would personally put them ahead and say that it is definitely an advantage. (97 words)

d. If I really had to take a guess as to which team is going to last longer I would say it would have to be Manhattan. My logic being that they have played more games and that since there is a larger sample size it could be that they are a far more consistent team meaning they can hold on longer. On the other hand, since Manhattan has played more games they are going to get gassed sooner giving Seattle the edge. (82 words)
16/16

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

1. Electric

2b. I’m not sure how much Manhattan really changed in terms of roster coming into this season, but there’s one thing that can make all the difference: mentality. I think if you bring in a winning mentality in each night, a Cinderella type of story is possible for any team. Writing this late though, it’s obvious it wasn’t enough, as Seattle still pulled out the win.

2c. Being late to the game to do this, Manhattan has already lost in the finals. It’s tough to say if the extra four games really made all the difference for this, though. As tight of a schedule as the playoffs are, I don’t think four games really changes that much either way. You do get more time on the ice to develop skills, but you do also get more exhausted, so I think these factors combine and make teams regress to the mean in terms of performance.

3. There’s plenty of great hype songs out there, but I think one that may seem like an unlikely candidate is “Child’s Play” by Drake for a couple of reasons. While the beat itself might not be the most electric one you’ve ever heard to get juiced, the lyrics can get you going. For example, Drake asks the question “why you gotta fight with me at Cheesecake? You know I love to go there.” This is referencing the phenomenal restaurant chain known as The Cheesecake Factory. Already, you’ve gotta feel bad for Drake for having his experience at The Cheesecake Factory ruined. But if you think about the same situation happening to yourself, where you are forced to be in a fight and have your experience eating cheesecake ruined, you’d rightly be upset. Then you’ve just gotta put that anger towards the game, and lay it all out on the ice. When you’ve done that, a 6 point night is light work. Therefore, it is a great hype song.

7. +3 TPE - S67 Milestones

17. There’s plenty of great options for new metals and materials for IIHF medals. I think a clear winner to replace gold would have to be platinum. It’s already considered a “higher metal” in many different competitions that include ratings higher than gold. Plus, it’s nice and shiny (I think), giving it a nice little bonus. Next, to replace silver, I think a pearl medal should be the prize for second place. These should be obtained fresh from a clam just prior to the awards ceremony. If you wanted to get really interesting with it, you could have every second place winner get the pearl out of the clam themselves, and then they could have a little extra food to cook to celebrate! Finally, bronze should become diamond, but since real diamonds are expensive, and could arguably be seen as better than the platinum medals, these will be synthetic and known to be so. (Can you guess where I got my inspiration for these?)

20. Appearance is obviously a crucial factor for judging a leek. The first thing to check for is any sort of blemishes that indicate it’s lost its freshness. Even the smallest sign of rotting is an automatic loss in my professional opinion. Taste is another very important factor afterwards. The tasting process should begin by tasting the leek raw first. Any person who claims to be an expert in leeks, however, should also be able to grill a leek to perfection. This, in my opinion, is what can make or break an award winning leek and the person who grew it. Was too much lemon used? Not enough parmesan? Did the owner of this leek add a new, inspired twist, or did they reach too far in the pursuit of being unique? These are all important questions to ask and consider when tasting these grilled leeks. It’s an intense process to judge leeks, but it can be very rewarding when you come across a masterpiece.

+16 TPE

[Image: I1sSxD7.gif]

Code:
tea

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

a. Seattle is back in the finals for the second time in a row. While last season was an unexpected run led by a miracle goalie performance-- this season's appearance comes at no surprise to those who watched their offseason closely. What roster changes do you think have put Seattle in this position again? Do you think it's enough for them to finish the job this time around?

b. Manhattan has charged from a ninth place regular season finish to an Eastern conference championship and a shot at the Challenge Cup. I don't think that it's out of line for me to say that not many saw this coming. How do you think they got to this point? Who's performing better than expected? Do you think they have enough gas to complete the Cinderella run?

c. At this point in the playoffs, Manhattan has played four more games than Seattle. With the schedule as tight as it is in the playoffs, do you think that extra hockey will affect them? Could it be a positive that MAN has been in a near constant routine of game days while SEA has seen a bit more rest? Or do you think that wear and tear will start to show on MAN if this series goes to 6 or 7 games?

d. In many ways this seems like a battle of who can stay hotter longer. Both teams have PDO ratings as high as 110 while barely having any players that dip below 100. Seattle and Manhattan are both on absolute heaters of strong goalies and high shooting percentages. What do you think is driving this, and who do you think can keep it going longer? Who comes out on top?
a. There were a few additions over the last couple seasons such as the adds of Jonas Kahnwald and Jimmy Wagner, but ultimately I think the advantage that they hold over the rest of the league is they genuinely have the best goalie in the league right now. Willie Miller alone has shown multiple times that he is capable of stealing multiple series on his own.
b. As mentioned above, with a strong goaltending performance, anything is possible and that includes going all the way as Name Redacted certainly showed himself to be capable of that same level of performance, turning around a 0.904 in the regular season to a 0.921 for the post finals stats. Overall as a team there is some surprise considering the bumps in the road in their path to rebuilding.
c. There has not been any indication of a fatigue factor that seems to play an obvious role when it comes to the performance of a team. That is, the long term effects as a result of playing more games negative impacting a team in a way where there would be advantages. Unlikely other games like FIFA and Football Manager, there also does not appear to be any sharpness measurements so being fresher from fewer games does not have any effects that are significant either.
d. When it comes to the battle of the good rolls, there does appear to be a bit of an inherent bias towards goalies as they are a singular individual in which you can see the values as a result of their hotness or not. As opposed to an overall team that is an inverse of the opposition goalie's performance, it is tougher to see the obvious "good shooting" and separate it from a goalie's bad performance or vice versa. Either way, I go with Miller who just clearly stands about the rest of the league.

Code:
In your opinion, who was the best SHL or SMJHL team to NOT win the Challenge Cup / Four Star Cup? Who was on that team, and why do you think they deserved to win it all? What round did they lose in and how? Was it bad luck? A hot opposing goalie? Inexperience?
It is hard not to look at the Regina Elk's season and believe that they would be at least in the finals, considering that they were second best this season in terms of the points but easily the top team when it came to their amazing defense, only allowing 152 goals all season. The next closest team had allowed more than 30 but unfortunately could not keep the same kind of performance when it came to playing against St. Louis. There did not appear to be any clear signs of having an obvious weakness given how balanced and talented the Elk's roster was from top and bottom. This was meant to be their season given how many moves were made in anticipation of being this season having somehow paying off. Unfortunately, the Scarecrows had also seemingly built towards the same window, though I would argue having more holes and less overall depth. However when it comes to the top end of talent and the amount of time that is given to those players, the margins at that point being more and more negligible especially in a three line, three pairing system.

Code:
During the playoffs it’s not uncommon to have to spend several days on the road in the same city. Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, who does your player share a room with on the road? What do you get up to? Are you the type to drag around a PS5 everywhere you go, or are you the first to hit the bar after the game? Are you a night owl or an early riser?

It is similar to going on vacation really, when it comes on being on the road as often as you do as a professional athlete. While family can join at times or you can go out of your way to meet up with friends across the countries you might end up in, it still ultimately falls on the individual to find a way to make the most of the time spent in these exciting places, or finding new ways to experience more familiar locations. As a result, Minamino really found his niche as being the food guy on the team. Not that his taste or palate was better than anybody else, but that he would go out of his way to try all sorts of different restaurants, food trucks, street carts etc that could be found in the cities that he would spend time in. As well, meticulously recording his thoughts, what he got and making trips to promising places that required a further view. Unfortunately this caused some havoc on his stomach for game days and the management had to step in.

Code:
7. Milestones
+3 TPE - Milestones

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

Chiefs

3. Written, 3 TPE, Song of the Playoffs (150 words min.)
Every season the NHL buys the rights to a song that they edit their playoff promotional materials to. This season we’re doing the same thing for the SHL! Pitch me your “Song of the S67 Playoffs”! Who sings it? Why do you think it would make a good hype song?

The NHL has had some interesting song choices over the years but I do think they have done a decent job recently at picking songs. If it was up to my choice, I would choose Rumble by Zade Wolfe. I think the league would have a pretty easy time securing the rights as it’s not a huge song. I had originally heard the song as it was an introduction song for a streamer with a bunch of his game highlights and I immediately put it on my gym playlist. It is very successful in getting me hyped and making me nod my head along to the beat. I think it’s a great song for the NHL or SHL to play in a montage, especially one with a lot of hits. It has some lines that work pretty well too other than the obvious “I’m here to rumble”. When the song says “It's coming down to the two of us” then you can show flashes of the teams that are facing off.

Finn often shares a room with rookies as he always makes sure to include them in his endeavors and will also set a good example when there is a curfew. He does occasionally bring his Xbox or gaming laptop on long road trips, especially in cities where there isn’t much to do but go out to a bar after you go to dinner. He plays a little bit of everything but like most young men is into Call of Duty but does also play RPGs and roguelikes. Long road trips where they spend time in cities are fun for Finn as he takes pride in finding the best spots for different cuisines and coffee. He loves when his teammates challenge him to find the best food or specialty restaurant that they are into. He also got made fun of as a rookie for wanting to sight see. Some of his roommates get annoyed about this as Finn often gets up fairly early to go to coffee shops and try breakfasts at different places.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3281022

Congratulations, procrastinator! Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s results? How do you feel about season two of FHM 8?

Seattle won it all. Congratulations to them on their championship! I was slightly surprised at the results as they were the 5th overall team in the league. However when I was making my playoff bracket, I had Seattle as a team that could pull it off. They had a few players that were great to follow like Lukkas Lilja and Jonas Kahnwald. I’m liking FHM 8 so far but I don’t have a lot to compare it to since it’s only my second season. I hope scoring from defensemen continues to go up as it still seems a little below my expectations.

Speedrunning is a huge movement in the video game world, and frankly I feel like the SHL is falling behind in this department. Pitch me a few different speedrun categories we could have in the SHL. Take it seriously! Or don’t! Is there any actual potential in this idea, or am I silly for suggesting it? As a graphic option, depict your player as a Twitch streamer going for a world record in the game of your choice!

Speedrunning is awesome and I love watching GDQ (Games Done Quick) every year on Twitch. As for the SHL, I’m not exactly sure how that would work because often there is a very optimal path that’s within the user’s control when they speedrun. I feel like the simulation option doesn’t translate too well especially since the players do not have a ton of control over how their General Manager’s control the tactics. I did think of some categories to make it interesting though. You could have categories like “First player to have 20 TPE in a category and fastest team to 100 PIMs on the season. I also think it would be amusing to have people raising to complete PTs. I’m not sure if we could trust people to time themselves doing it but it would be amusing to give someone an extra TPE if they are the first person after the thread is posted to complete the PT.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 12:15 AM by diacope. Edited 3 times in total.)

diacopediacope

(+3 TPE)

2. c) At this point in the playoffs, Manhattan has played four more games than Seattle. With the schedule as tight as it is in the playoffs, do you think that extra hockey will affect them? Could it be a positive that MAN has been in a near constant routine of game days while SEA has seen a bit more rest? Or do you think that wear and tear will start to show on MAN if this series goes to 6 or 7 games?
Yeah I think anything can change a series and you never know until it's too late, looking at the teams I feel like Manhattan is strong enough and has only gotten better with the extra playing time, they've been strong on the puck and seem to pay better with the more competition they faced, thankfully Seattle had some rest to prepare for it!

d) In many ways this seems like a battle of who can stay hotter longer. Both teams have PDO ratings as high as 110 while barely having any players that dip below 100. Seattle and Manhattan are both on absolute heaters of strong goalies and high shooting percentages. What do you think is driving this, and who do you think can keep it going longer? Who comes out on top?
Both teams have been intense all the way through and I think the main factor for that is how they've perform outside of the rink, family members and a support system can go a long way with motivation behind it, I've seen players perform better than before like everybody has their own separate mission.. Definitely an exciting one to watch for anybody that's a fan of hockey

(+2 TPE)

I actually have my own room this season which has been super quiet but in the past I have shared it with teammates. Whenever getting up each day I wake up to the sunlight shining in through my windows because having them closed is blah and my body doesn't want to rise, after that the first thing I do is grab a glass of water. One thing I like to do is take time before doing anything at all and most of the time I usually end up surfing the net until I find something interesting to talk about with my teammates later on in the bus. In the end I have enjoyed game night the most while being part of the Seattle Kraken, we usually play for hours and the whole team are night owls like myself so we get plenty of laughs, even the coach gets in on the action so it feels like a whole team effort.

(+3 TPE)

Throughout my career I've always kept it simple and do the original traditions like the majority of other do, tape my stick a certain way, eat a healthy pregame meal and wear my favorite necklace during games, I find doing more focusing has helped me excel and focusing on something that's not hockey related gets me distracted too much. I do have a storie from my days back in Russia that's quiet funny though, one time a Canadian defender named Rick came over to play during our summer games almost 10 years ago now and he unloaded a 2L bottle from his equipment bag, in just a few minutes he downed the whole container, not able to breath he mumbled to the team that "tradition, tradition", not knowing what we all just witness we went about our business and started to play the game we love.. Until Rick was tossed off the ice for holding a player 200 feet down the ice, I wonder if he still plays :p

(+3 TPE)

3 Milestones: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3284108

(+3 TPE)

I’m not sure when we did this last, so that probably means it’s a good time to bring back the positivity prompt! Tag some other folks on the site and let them know why you appreciate them! Could be a GM, a friend, a department head, anyone! The goal is to make someone happy.
This may have been an early or late season minor point task if I remember correctly but nothing wrong with spreading even more love! First person I want to thank is our general manager, whatever I go through something on or off the ice @sve7en has always been patient and has responded to every question with haste since signing the dotted line. Second person I want to thank is my @teammates, there's too many to names but every moment we spend together is like family and it definitely makes things more delightful even after a tough loss. The last person(s) I would like to thank is the @updaters for being consistent and informative, a lot easier figuring out my tasks last minute :p Again thanks to everybody I mentioned above and whomever I didn't because I know it takes a lot to make everything work on a season to season basis

(+2 TPE)

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 12:03 AM by Andy. Edited 1 time in total.)

Meowcats

Milestones

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

Milestones
+1 Penalty Minutes
+1 Hits

CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Verification word: Apple

Written, 3 TPE, Song of the Playoffs (150 words min.)
Every season the NHL buys the rights to a song that they edit their playoff promotional materials to. This season we’re doing the same thing for the SHL! Pitch me your “Song of the S67 Playoffs”! Who sings it? Why do you think it would make a good hype song?

Every good playoff run needs a good song to serve as a rallying cry for both the fans and the team. For the Blues it was Gloria, for the nationals it was Baby Shark. This postseason will be the same. However, this time the rallying cry that will be echoed throughout stadiums will be Nine to Five by Dolly Parton. This one is a fantastic song and is much less annoying than baby shark. Even better, it comes from a musical loosely based on Dolly Parton’s upbringing and is something that everyone can get behind. Furthermore, Dolly Parton is a national treasure so there would be very little divisiveness or controversy with the selection of one of her better known songs. Whoever picks this as their playoff run song will be sure to achieve whatever they set out to as the team would be filled with so much adrenaline that they simply would not be able to lose.

The knights really only had one long road trip during the playoffs as they were bounced in the first round after 5 games but still was long enough to be memorable. Spam roomed with his linemate Virrok to try and continue to build some on ice chemistry going into the playoffs. This would likely be their last chance to play together as Virrok would be moving up to the big leagues next season. Spam was sure to bring his PS5 with SHL hockey from EA obviously installed so that in case they lost he could play them again in SHL and absolutely destroy them. This is incredibly important for moving on from tough losses so that he can get started on his preparations for the next game. Its not all business though. Spam will head down to a couple bars after the game to work out any muscle stiffness from the game.

The knights wins came in spurts this season so there were plenty of opportunities for spam to try out a few different superstitions to see which he liked best. The first steak they went on he wore the same socks everyday without washing them for as long as the streak continued. This quickly became an issue as socks being in hockey skates every day tend to develop quite the odor before too long. The second one he tried out was eating the same meal before every game. However, he had picked sushi and the first night of this new tradition he got some bad fish and had one of the worst hockey playing experience of his life. He then resorted to voodoo to keep the streaks going which he wasn’t very fond of but got the best results by far of any of the things he had tried. The chicken blood has yet to come out of some of his gear.

17. Written, 3 TPE, Nu Metals (150 words min.)
Gold, silver, and bronze are old news! Also we’re running out of them in the simulated world so we can’t be wasting it all on simulated medals! Choose new metals to be used for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place at this year's tournament, and tell me why you chose them.

The real question is should bronze even count as it is an alloy not a metal right? Assuming that this opens the door for other alloys there are several fantastic options to replace the normal three medals. For third place, tungsten will be used instead of bronze. This is one of the heaviest metals found on earth and would cause the wearer to slouch, better illustrating the weight of their failures. Second place would be replaced with mercury, which is a liquid making the medal unique. It would basically just be a large disc filled with the toxic metal. This is because no one likes finishing second and it will poison you over time. Lastly if first place which will be replaced with platinum. This is one of the purest and rarest metals on the planet, a prize fitting for a champion.

Sunday

Claimed 1

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 12:12 AM by Briedaqueduc. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
egbnakwegb

Code:

a. Seattle is back in the finals for the second time in a row. While last season was an unexpected run led by a miracle goalie performance-- this season's appearance comes at no surprise to those who watched their offseason closely. What roster changes do you think have put Seattle in this position again? Do you think it's enough for them to finish the job this time around?

b. Manhattan has charged from a ninth place regular season finish to an Eastern conference championship and a shot at the Challenge Cup. I don't think that it's out of line for me to say that not many saw this coming. How do you think they got to this point? Who's performing better than expected? Do you think they have enough gas to complete the Cinderella run?

a. Seattle did not want to barely miss out yet again this season, so they went all in and get a couple more pieces to add to their team, knowing that these pieces might not be around for long. It is a good move in my opinion, because it is their chance now, and they might not see it ever again, so it is fine to sell their future for it.
70 words

b. Pure luck, nothing really shows from their trades or anything else that they belong in the finals. The East this year was not really as strong, and they somehow slipped by. They could continue with the momentum they built, but i really doubt it, and they should just enjoy being there, it will be a good experience for all their younger players.
62 words

c. I think it will be a negative. Seattle will be more fresh than Mnahattan in this situation, and it is something that is actually good in this situation. They got more time to get their mentals straight, their muscles are more relaxed, and they will have more time to practice in between series without going full out in a game.
60 words

d. It seems that these days, simulation hockey seems to rely more on momentum and chemistry. So to win you need to have the same players playing together and building a chemistry together so that they start playing together as one, and win back to back games, especially at home, so that you keep going.
54 words

Code:
2 Milestones

Code:
13. Graphic, 1 TPE, crAIyon? More like CWaiyon!
In the spirit of the insanely easy ring task that stayed around forever, we can keep running this one! Try using OpenAI’s DALL E Mini (now known as crAIyon) to generate a Challenge Cup related image. It could be a championship ring, your player lifting the cup, a locker room celebration. Go nuts as long as you’re attempting to make it SHL related! The results will be weird, but it’s fun!  https://www.craiyon.com/
This is Paul Koivu lifting a hockey cup!
[Image: unknown.png]

Code:
15. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Round Up (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! Are they up and coming? Win now mode? Entering into a re-build phase? What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around?

For IIHF, here is my professional projection. We will get to see the first Norway gold medal, they have worked very hard to get to where they are, and this season is their season. They will have defeated Finland to get there, but Finland gave them a really good fight. Then for bronze we will have a good fight between Canada and Russia. It should have been Sweden instead of Russia, but Sweden absolutely choked after getting a good round robin. Russia has been buolding for a while so they would love to get this medal, but it would not be their season, as they do not manage to get it and they wilkl have to wait at least another season to touch a medal. In WJC, we will see UCORCAL win it against Canada, in a very close game going to OT 5, with both team absolutely exhausted. For bronze, DACH will win it, in a not very close game against the US.
164 words

Code:
22. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, We Should Start a Band! (150 words min.)
Hockey is no longer in fashion, we’re doing music now! Choose a couple of friends from around the league to form a band with! Who do you choose, what instruments do they play, and what kind of music do you all make together? As a graphic task, show me your band together performing in their home arena.

Paul Koivu actually has been wanting to start a band with his brothers. The name of the band would be the Koivu Brothers, because they are brothers and their last name is Koivu. Paul would be the singer, the frontman, the guy that represents the band and is the face of the band, because obviously Paul is the better of the brothers. Ricky is the useless one in the family, so only one instrument would make sense, the triangle. He is not even really capable of playing it, just like he cannot play hockey. Tommi is good, so he will be the drummer. He is strong and has good coordination so it works well. He is the one leading the beat and everyone relies on him. Wide Peepo Happy the third is a wholesome person, so he plays the piano. It is soft like him, and it needs good little fingers, like he has. The other brothers were not interested so there was no band after all and they kept playing hockey
172 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 02:00 AM by 5ympathies. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:

clapper

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Song of the Playoffs (150 words min.)

"Headlines" by Drake. No changes, no cover, no different singer. Just drizzy playing headlines. All time banger. No need to change anything about it. Just have a highlights compilation or something related to the playoffs with his bars in the back. Everyone is tuned in, nobody needs or wants anything more. The vibes are immaculate, what else could you want. They played headlines in the club last night and I was all over it. Yelling every lyric in the booth. Fucking loved that shit. And if I just loved the song as it was, imagine how much people would love the song with some really cool and exciting playoffs hockey highlights overlayed on top. Just crisp, prime, promotional material. Hard to see any possibility where someone would not like it. Hard to imagine this is only 20 words, like cmon now how much more do I have to do. Anyway, in conclusion, summary, whatever you want to call it. The SHL needs to buy the rights to headlines by Drake.

Code:
In your opinion, who was the best SHL or SMJHL team to NOT win the Challenge Cup / Four Star Cup? Who was on that team, and why do you think they deserved to win it all? What round did they lose in and how? Was it bad luck? A hot opposing goalie? Inexperience?

Best team to not win was S49 New England Wolfpack. Absolutely dominated our way to the finals only to get swept by the Edmonton Blizzard because our hall of fame goalie choked in STHS and we got swept. Absolutely gutting loss, I cannot believe it still to this day. I legitimately believe if we won that season, half the team wouldn't have left in S54 (since me and G were the catalysts of everyone else requesting a trade, and if we won we both probably would have stayed, thus resulting in those other hoes also staying. Another gutting New England Wolfpack of the SImulation Hockey League loss was in S53, when we won the President's trophy, but revered GMs goldenglutes and hotdog did not know how to test sim and after winning the presidents trophy, we got absolutely dumpstered by, I believe Hamilton Steelcocks. That loss for sure was the reason that everyone left. Like I said before the S49 win would have possibly allowed the team to not fall apart, even with the S53 loss happening.

Code:

Funny story, not at all relevant to the prompt, but the table I had dinner at last night, was booked by the Nashville Predators to eat at after their game last night, and we were all talking mad shit about them when the Canucks were up 3-0. Bet that team was pretty happy when they got there, seeing as they won the game 4-3. Anyway, I could not really name any players on the active roster of the team I currently play on, the Hamilton Steelhawks of the Simulation Hockey League. Perhaps, JP? The most active user. He's old now, always stays in. Make questionable jokes and talks about his wife all the time. Other than that, literally do not know anyone else that is still on the team. So my answer for this question is in the past I would stay with JSS, and we would go clubbing after any game that we won, where the did not have another game the following day.

Code:

The craziest thing we have done in the locker room must have been in the Simulation Minor Junior Hockey League back on the Kelowna Knights teams, roughly S45 or S46. God damn my player is old as fuck, I need to retire already. Back then, an all time classic superstition or ritual or whatever you would like to call it was I would come down bursting through the locker room doors, WWE entrance style, music and everything. In the locker room all of the other players would sit in the circle, prepared, ready for me to make my entrance. And I would go around the circle one by one, and as my name illustrates, clap the dicks of all of the players. Starting with the captain of course, cause why else would you be a captain, what would possibly be any other benefit, and then moving along the starting line up, and goalie, and then all of the other players in age order, from oldest to youngest. What a meme that was. Real media piece I wrote too 4 ish years ago. Details are perhaps a little bit different, but pretty much the same.

Code:

+1

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

1. negs

ISFL Affiliate (negs)

[Image: Bjorn_Bjorn_Sig.png]
[Image: bjornswedengif.gif]

CW pass

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]