Create Account

SMJHL Teams Exist and I ____ Them

[Image: unknown.png]

Anchorage Armada

The Armada's Branding: The first thing I think of when I look at the current Armada logo is how much it looks like clipart you could grab from an even more kid-friendly version of Microsoft Paint. I know it was probably one of the logos that had to be phased out when the SHL store came along and copyright was an issue that had to be worried about, but it just looks so flat. The colour scheme is pretty good but I'm just so indifferent to the overall branding.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Meh. The Armada could very well draft a winger this draft depending on how call-ups go, but I wouldn't say they are aching for the position by any means, just could be nice to pick one up if they like a certain player. I could see a scenario where Jagrs has a place on the team, but I'd have to see what the GMs say about a spot on the team.

Would I Fit Here? Probably not. I recognize both of the GMs, Retu is pretty chill, and I don't really have any feelings toward Ragnar, good or bad. There are some alright people on the team, and some that are likely on the other side of that spectrum. I'd be there, but I doubt I'd be a good locker room fit, and I wouldn't be ecstatic about it or anything. Plus, in general, the Armada have always just been a second thought of mine. I don't know, I'm not about to say I wouldn't want to go here, but like I said, I'd have to have a good talk to the GMs about it.

Carolina Kraken

The Kraken's Branding: The Kraken were one of my favourite brandings when I first joined the league with Conner Hutton, and it stands the test pretty well. They aren't still my favourite, but it is a fun branding and obviously, one that would bring back mostly good memories for me.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Nope. I'd say they have greater needs and are pretty loaded on wingers. Especially since if I am not mistaken, the SMJHL runs three forward lines similar to the SHL now. They have other needs, so there likely isn't too great of a chance Jagrs will be a Kraken once the draft concludes.

Would I Fit Here? Yes. The roster has changed quite a bit, but there are a couple of names I recognize, and sve7en is still the GM, so I'm sure it would be a nice place to be. Plus alumni was huge when I was a player here, and I'm sure that hasn't changed, so I wouldn't have trouble finding some familiar users in there to talk with.

Colorado Raptors

The Raptors' Branding: In my opinion, when the Raptors had their logo redone, it was a huge improvement. Looks decent, and a lot less like a weird snake than the other one. The blue and yellow are a solid combination too, I wouldn't mind repping this branding one bit.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Yes. The Raptors look to be losing a couple of players from age-outs, and maybe one from a call-up. Either way, there should be at least one empty spot on the wing that Jagrs could slide into. It also looks like the team only has two centres, so while I likely would not be a good fit for that position, there could even be more roster shifts that could allow a spot for me on the team. 

Would I Fit Here? Yes. The Raptors are seemingly one of the teams I have heard most about from multi-league users since my departure from the SHL, and I recognize a good chunk of the roster, and am sure I would fit into the locker room more than fine. Jumbo is a great person from my interactions, and we always seemed to be after the same players in the draft when we were competing GMs. Ruggsy was fun to talk to when I had the chance, so yeah, this is probably the best team so far.

Detroit Falcons

The Falcons' Branding: Is "Fuck Detroit" still a cool thing to say? Anyway, it's hard to go wrong with red and white, probably pretty damn near impossible actually, and the logo isn't bad, just not the best. But I mean, come on, it's the Falcons. They'll be one of those teams that never really leave, so I wouldn't be ashamed to put their jersey on.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Yes. We'll see two meaningful age-outs in the forward positions for the Falcons this season, and otherwise, Jagrs would already be an upgrade on the IAs they'd have to be signing going into next season. That said, they'll probably be a bit more focused on drafting some defense.

Would I Fit Here? Maybe. I recognize a couple of names, but otherwise, I don't know. I've never really thought Detroit would be a bad place to be, but also never saw myself there. I'm also super unfamiliar with who the GMs currently are, so I'm pretty open to the idea of joining the Falcons, but I'd definitely need some reassurance about team direction and whether or not I could be a good fit in that locker room.

Great Falls Grizzlies

The Grizzlies' Branding: I'm no stranger to teams branded after Bears, whether or not you take that as a positive or negative. You can't branch out too much from shades of brown, black, and/or white if you go this route, so the palette is pretty much what you could expect. It looks fierce, I just can't get past the idea that I think it would look better without the claw. The bear head has got some good texture to it, but you know how it is. Overall, it's a decent branding, even though I've pretty much only bashed it here.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Yes. The Grizzlies will be losing a winger or two, and have a centre retiring, and another at the base TPE level. Like I said earlier, I'm not big on centre, nor will my build be a good fit, but it gives some flexibility if others are. They look like they'll be fine enough on defense, maybe picking another up, along with a goalie. Jagrs would fit well, but it isn't like the Grizzlies will be targeting wingers from my point of view.

Would I Fit Here? Maybe. Geek is someone that was really fun to share the expansion process with and I'm glad he is still around, but I'm iffy on a couple of people I know will be in the locker room from past or present. It isn't enough to say I wouldn't want to be here, I'd give it a shot and I'd want to talk to Geek about all that, just something I'm weary about is all.

Kelowna Knights

The Knights' Branding: I like the Knights branding quite a bit too, the colours work well together, but the Knight itself is great looking. I can't name a single piece of it that makes it so, it just works really well, and reminds me of those little Lego knight helmets, in a good way.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Ehh. The Knights could use, you know, a centre. They have forward slots available, but they really only need a centre, or two, or three, and Jagrs won't be that. I say maybe, because if any of the wingers they have are designated centremen, there would be room for me. I just don't care enough to check.

Would I Fit Here? Iffy. Art has always been a fun user, so I trust the environment is nice under his control, but otherwise, I know two users on the roster. I left around the Mike Izzy period which definitely puts an ugly stain on the team, plus the whole IA Four Star Cup thing. It would be unfair to put that on the current management, and frankly, the team that is around now, but that is the kind of stuff I think of for this team.

Maine Timber

The Timber's Branding: I like the name, it's good, but it's as if the Kelowna Knights' colours were made to be worse. The logo is pretty meh too, could be updated, but I can see why it would be kept, and it isn't the worst.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Yes. There are four forward age-outs for the Knights this season, so they definitely have room for me. They honestly might only draft forwards this draft, so I'd be getting ice.

Would I Fit Here? Probably. I recognize a lot of the names, and there are a lot of good people there. When I first joined with Hutton, I was probably most hoping to be drafted here after my conversation with (I believe it was) CementHands, so I'd definitely be open to the Timber. Plus, having SouthPaw as a GM in the ISFL was great, and I think he'd probably get me to earn a little more than I plan to, and if what I said is true about CementHands before, having him as a Co'GM can only be a good thing, right?

Nevada Battleborn

The Battleborn's Branding: The branding the Battleborn had when the team was first shown for expansion was just beautiful. Gorgeous. The current logo meets the weird middle ground between too much detail and too little detail, and it isn't a good thing in this case. Plus, if they were keeping a shield for the logo, tossing the Nevada state lines away was a bad idea no matter how it went. I don't think I'll ever like this logo knowing what came before it, but it isn't necessarily as awful as I might make it sound.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Yes. The Battleborn are looking down the barrel of a lot of age-ups, and a couple of call-ups, and the wingers are being hit hardest. That kind of thing is to be expected out of the top teams in the SMJHL, though.

Would I Fit Here? Maybe. It's a mixed bag as far as their team goes, but I don't really dislike anyone in there, I just don't think I'd be a fit in the locker room if that makes sense. I don't have any issues with anyone in there, and Jess obviously knows how to pick out some good people, so I'd definitely be open to it if they are.

Newfoundland Berserkers

The Berserkers' Branding: The Berserkers have got good branding, I don't think you can deny it. It may not be the best looking in the league or anything, but I don't think you'll find anyone who would say it is the worst unless it's out of team hatred. Plus Newfies are cool.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Possibly. Out of all positions, the Berserkers could probably upgrade their forwards the most. They don't have as much of a gap here as some other teams, but they're still a while from being scary. They could draft me, but I'm not sure I'd get as much ice, or have a guaranteed, outlined spot on the team.

Would I Fit Here? Probably not. That is nothing against the Berserkers, I hear their locker room is on the top end of the SMJHL, and I have no doubts. I just don't think I'd be a fit. I respect the team and the success that they had as well. There is also the aspect of the little rivalry we had going when I was a part of the Kraken that says I can't play for them, but really, I'm just not sure I'm their type of person. I'd be open to it though, for sure.

Quebec City Citadelles

The Citadelles' Branding: I've always loved the Citadelles branding, just about every aspect of it, and it has stayed near the top of my rankings since their expansion. I think Citadelles is a pretty cool name too, it's kinda like a "Metropolitans" name, but works pretty well for Quebec City. Plus the snowy owl is amazing.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Yes. The Citadelles have hardly any wingers, definitely moving their centres over, and they have about half of their forward corps departing from age-outs. Their defense and goalies on the other hand look pretty strong, so I can see the Citadelles really going all-in on forwards in this draft.

Would I Fit Here? Probably. I've known a few users who have gone through the Citadelles system and haven't had anything bad to say about any of them, so I can only imagine it's a good place to be. Faelex is still a GM, I know he knows what he is doing, the Co I'm less familiar with though.

Regina Elk

The Elk's Branding: It is really really really really really good.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Yes. The Elk assembled a good team this season that just didn't work out, and when you have a team like that, you usually don't get a second chance. Lots of departures for them this offseason, and they could definitely add a winger to the roster.

Would I Fit Here? Yes. I would hope so. Les stepping down really sucks, because I couldn't have been happier with who HO chose to fill in for me. Reno is a good Co with lots of experience across leagues too, but we'll have to see who the next pair is.

St. Louis Scarecrows

The Scarecrows' Branding: Kind of like the Falcons, it is one of those brandings that'll be around for a long while still. It's not the best, not the worst, and it's been maintained for a long while. It's gone through some logo updates but that's about it, can't complain too much about it.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Yes. About half of their forward core is either aging-out or a call-up candidate, so they could definitely use a couple of forwards, although it could just be a best player available situation here.

Would I Fit Here? Probably not. I like a lot of the alumni the Scarecrows have, and some of the players on the team now. I also dispise enough alumni and players to know I wouldn't want to put up with it.

Vancouver Whalers

The Whalers' Branding: I mean, we can obviously tell which two franchises the Vancouver Whalers drew inspiration from, but I like each so I'll let it pass. It's an alright branding otherwise, nothing too sepcial going for it, but again, it isn't like it's a bad brand.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Meh. They could use forwards, but wing isn't as much of a need as centre could be for them. They're really scraping by on goalies too, with Jobin aging-out, so I don't thing a winger specifically would be their biggest need.

Would I Fit Here? Probably, I like a few alumni I know would be here, I recognize some names on the list, so it probably wouldn't be the worst landing spot, but it isn't like I'd fit right in either. I also don't think I know either of the GMs, so I'm kind of hoping they'll reach out to at least introduce themselves, if not scout.

Yukon Malamutes

The Malamutes' Branding: I wasn't the biggest fan when I first saw the change, but I wasn't too upset because the Outlaws really just needed to go. The one thing I really like is the jerseys, but the rest I was iffy on. I've since warmed up to them a little, but they remind me of the Wheelers in the PBE, and I just hate that branding, it looks awful.

Would Wonada Jagrs Fit Here? Yes. Help is definitely needed up front, the defense looks okay, they have a good goalie, so they'll likely be going for mostly forwards this draft.

Would I Fit Here? Probably. I recognize a few users on the team and they're all alright, but I know some of the alumni too, and some of them are less my type. That said, Fluw is a great person and deserved to GM a team for a while, and actually already reached out, so that was cool. And I recognize Big Newff and people usually have good things to say, so no complaints on the GM side.

Final Tiers

These tiers aren't really a ranking of where I'd most like to end up, or who I like most, but rather a combination of the three different comments I had for each team. I could want to join a team, love their branding and whatnot, but if they don't have room for me, they won't be in the first tier for me. Anyway, here they are;

Tier 1
Raptors
Citadelles

Both were teams I had pretty much only good things to say, could have room for me, and are generally teams I'd be really happy with winding up on in the draft.

Tier 2
Elk
Kraken
Timber
Grizzlies

All were teams that either I'd love to be on but didn't have room, or that I had other concerns about, or something similar. All teams I'd be happy with landing on, but just not enough for the extra tier is all.

Tier 3
Malamutes
Whalers
Battleborn
Falcons
Scarecrows

These are teams that I'd be okay with ending up on, from Yukon being hardly out of tier 2, to St. Louis close to tier 3, it's just teams I'm not too sure about as I write this, but probably wouldn't complain if my opinions don't change by the draft.

Tier 4
Berserkers
Knights
Armada

Lastly, the teams I don't really want to end up on, for one reason or another. I could be talked into it, but they're just out of my favour right now for whatever reason I would have mentioned in their individual write-ups.

10-29-2022, 01:44 AMoverdoo Wrote: Would I Fit Here? Probably. I've known a few users who have gone through the Citadelles system and haven't had anything bad to say about any of them, so I can only imagine it's a good place to be. Faelex is still a GM, I know he knows what he is doing, the Co I'm less familiar with though.

Knowing you, i am fairly certain that you'd fit indeed! I never had any bad interaction with you and always liked talking with you as well as far as i can remember. I can confirm ramen is good people, what can go wrong with someone saying Amen to Ramen? Also im still around management if it can help! (if it doesnt please ignore this comment Ninja ) Looking forward to see where the draft lead you!

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

10-29-2022, 02:13 AMEvok Wrote:
10-29-2022, 01:44 AMoverdoo Wrote: Would I Fit Here? Probably. I've known a few users who have gone through the Citadelles system and haven't had anything bad to say about any of them, so I can only imagine it's a good place to be. Faelex is still a GM, I know he knows what he is doing, the Co I'm less familiar with though.

Knowing you, i am fairly certain that you'd fit indeed! I never had any bad interaction with you and always liked talking with you as well as far as i can remember. I can confirm ramen is good people, what can go wrong with someone saying Amen to Ramen? Also im still around management if it can help! (if it doesnt please ignore this comment  Ninja ) Looking forward to see where the draft lead you!
Those are all good things to hear! Plus, knowing you're still in the management group does help. Although I had a feeling when I saw your player on the roster, that likelihood was you'd still be around helping out, you were always pretty proud of the team. Smile Good luck to y'all for the rest of the finals!

sad

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers