Create Account

S68 PT #1: Knuckle Sandwich Due: November 27th @ 11:59 PM (PST

Fighting is part of what keeps hockey interesting. Its a rare game that gives the players a unique level of freedom on the ice. In other sports the culture is such that nobody can touch anyone else and the physicality is removed from the equation. In soccer we see this to the extreme where they will cry wolf at the mere suggestion that another player was near them. In hockey, although you will still get a penalty for things like fighting, we get to see how the players really feel, and how much they really want to win. And at the end of the day, a fight is just good drama and entertaining to watch. If i was to make an entertainment schedule for the hunnie bunnies, a top shelf scrap and rumble would be high on my list. It adds to rivalries and makes matchups and storylines of the season that much more intense, and nobody really gets banged up in those fights anyway.

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022, 02:06 AM by Loosh. Edited 1 time in total.)

I didn’t mean to post this

I think fighting in hockey isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think the sport lends itself toward it. Even other high violence sports are a little different. Football and rugby have less individual beefs because of the size of the teams and how play works but the smaller teams and faster pace of play create more opportunities for fights to break out. 
Fighting in hockey has its place for defending your teammates or turning the tide of the game. It's definitely better than going to make some cheap shot cross check or other dangerous play since the idea is that both parties are willing and the refs have a little better control over the situation than in open play. However in excess I think it's not okay. When the game becomes more about fighting out beating your opponent to a pulp in the old enforcer style way its just unhealthy for the sport in general. In moderation, however, it becomes a unique part of the hockey tradition that makes it special.

[Image: BtI4G9Q.png]

no.. ben waters is not a fighter. he is never gonna fight. he is a lover first and foremonst and everyone needs to accept that immediately. and he never will. hes a cool guy. he makes nice littel funny defensive plays. but if he did fight... oh boy... he would beat the hell out of everyone and ill tell you why. he goes to the gym all the time and he benches 3 plates easy its so easy for him. uh oh!!! yeah exactly right. also he has crazy instincts, top 10 instincts of all time. he would dodge every punch easily and beat the frick out of any guy. One time, back in bantam, he got into a fight on the ice and he won it very easily, and i think those skills will easily convert into the senior level, if he had to, but he doesnt have to, so he wont.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

It's late in the game and the coach wants someone to go out there and send a message. We are down huge and I'm the rookie, so I hit the ice and go after the next guy I line up against at the faceoff dot. I am not a fighter, but I am a bigger dude, so I can hold my own. The problem is... the other team sent out their enforcers and I'm up against the biggest guy on the ice. I ask him to go and he just laughs at me, I slap his stick and tell him I'm serious, so we drop and well... I drop. I put in some good hits and I think I did ok, but my check is bloody. As I get up to go to the box, the entire arena and bench are on their feet and applauding me. I notice that my opponent is also bleeding. This is a weird experience, but I think I did ok.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

PLAYER PROMPT

Slip McScruff used to be a fighter, but these days he just keeps his head down and takes a huge beating through normal game time events. By "used to be a fighter", I mean that he was the bravest boy in the whole league for the early stretches of FHM but he never really dropped the gloves more than once per season. He took a lot of pucks to the face and mid sections so he could probably deal with some baby town punches. The important thing is that he's a warm body to sit in the box while we leave the more capable bodies on the ice. If you've ever seen a play where a capable player starts getting goaded into a fight and then a tougher player comes in to dance instead, that's Slip McScruff.

I don't think Slip McScruff would ever start a fight unless he was really tired and wanted a vacation to go sit in the box. He's not stupid, he wants to cruise through the game causing as little bad as possible and soaking up as much turbulence for his teammates as he can. If he's sitting in the box for no good reason, then he's making it harder on them. If he's sitting in the box so they don't get heated and throw their own ice time away, that's useful. If play is super chaotic and he's been out for 4 minutes without a break, he would maybe shut it down to reset for a nap.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

Now anyone that knows Edward Elric knows damn well that he never is the one that typically opts into a fight or two. He has rarely dropped the gloves if ever during his first 3 seasons on the Anchorage Armada aside from his initial fight in which he received a classic "Welcome to the NHL moment" and got his ass handed to him by a member of the opposition team. However, this season, something has changed. Elric has been playing very differently compared to the past. Despite being an electric scorer and elite goaltender in the past for the Anchorage Armada, it appears as though his recent trade to the Quebec City Citadelles has awoken something in him. He's become a more complete two way forward this season for QCC and it has allowed him to be in the Top 5 in Hits and Penalty Minutes. With this change, maybe this might be the season for Edward Elric to step up and beat some people up if they try to mistreat his rookies.

[Image: jackkanoff.gif]

[Image: jeffiesigs.gif]
Nour is pretty hot ngl

HOCKEY PROMPT

I’m definitely of two minds with fighting as a concept. On one hand it’s always entertaining and makes nostalgic for the era’s in which it was much more common. A slow fourth line plug had the ability to win the hearts and minds of general managers, coaches and fans alike, becoming favourites because of their ability to engage in fisticuffs.

On the other side of things it does feel a little unnecessary when it happens these days. Not every fight, but with many of them it feels like an afterthought, or a formality. Someone takes a decent hit or a cross check that goes uncalled and all the sudden the gloves are off. It happens much less than it used to but because of that it feels more disruptive to the flow of the game when a fight starts. Especially when the 4th line or bottom pair goon starts a fight over a weak premise while his team has a chance in the o-zone. That infuriates me (167 words)

[Image: kezia-elk4-smol.png]
sig by me (:

Kezia MacKenzie - LW - Regina Elk - Atlanta Inferno

Quote:Written Task:  What are your thoughts on fighting in hockey? It's definitely a lot less common these days, do you think that's a good thing? Do you think it has a place in the game, or that it's overdue to disappear entirely? Maybe you wish it happened more often? In your opinion, what circumstances justify a hockey fight? Specific things? Any time you want for entertainment's sake? Tell me your thoughts! (150+ words)

I think fighting in hockey is long overdue to no longer be a part of the game. I understand that skirmishes will happen when there is a dirty hit, and I'm not talking about that. I'm more referring to the fights that come out of nowhere, the random line brawls because of something that happened weeks ago or about something that happened off the ice. Those pointless fights are nothing but an unwritten rule that leaves players concussed more often than they actually accomplish anything. It is certainly an entertainment factor for some spectators, but the physical harm it does, both short term and long term, far outweigh any positive entertainment value fights actually possess. Torts can fight me all he wants on this, but hockey needs to keep going in the direction it has been: getting younger and more skilled. There is far more entertainment value out of a Jack Hughes, Trevor Zegras, or Connor McDavid than there will ever be from a Ryan Reaves.

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]