Create Account

S69 Championship Week Due: March 12th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

1. 3 tpe
tea

2. 4 tpe
a. In terms of where to start off at, I would say that building a team from this point up as an expansion team is more impressive given that even with an expansion draft, there generally isn't a lot of assets that would allow you to improve significantly. However comparing rosters, Winnipeg's certainly takes the cake considering the overall depth top to bottom.
b. In some ways this ends up being the chicken or egg situation where if you were to take space away from the scorers on the line, you leave a guy like Rashford open to light it up. Alternatively, closing down on a playmaker like Rashford would open up additional room for the scorers. There's no winning. Taking out the line as a whole is the way to go given their depth.
c. There are goalies who seem to do better with more action and in the case of BASE PACK who has consistently faced higher shot totals and come out ahead, I would believe that this would only continue to serve well for him. Especially with no real concern for fatigue or stamina concerns as part of our sim league, the only answer is to just score.
d. Winnipeg should theoretically be the winner just in terms of how well they've been able to manage their cap and assets to the point of filling it up to the brim with prime aged talent. However given the fact that even with that advantage, there are no guarantees, it'd be difficult to say it'll happen for sure which would be unfortunate if they do end up losing.

6. 2 tpe
a hot start was great
but it inevitably
came crashing down hard

7. 3 tpe
milestones

18. 2 tpe
It's amazing to see how quickly people tired of a repeat winner and fully anticipated it to occur again. Is it a result of us latching on patterns naturally and assuming that it would continue? Either way, the fact that we had completely new players in the finals made for great excitement for teams who have not had the opportunity to experience that kind of thrill. Little by little, it's clear that the landscape of the league continues to change, with some exception at the bottom which seems to be fairly inert in terms of movement. I would have liked to see maybe more volatility but that could probably drive GMs and others crazy with the lack of sense of control.

22. 2 tpe
Planning for a wedding has begun to show it's more stressful side. Yet all the same as I come to hear more and more friends and people I meet either in the stages of planning their engagement, wedding or otherwise, the stories I can get hear and share all inevitably end up making me so grateful that we're able to find relationships like we do. It's such an exciting thing and worth remembering in the every-day, not just the exciting milestones. My hope is that even in the moments of difficulty that anyone experiences within a relationship, that they find that strength to tackle it together.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

ISFL affiliate 3 TPE

Code:
1. TRIVIA

allo 6 tpe

Code:
7. Milestones
link 9tpe

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Commemorative Puck

[Image: hockey-puck-4_1.png?width=810&height=801]
12 TPE

Code:
11. Graphic, 3 TPE, Oscar Nomination
[Image: MV5BYTdiOTIyZTQtNmQ1OS00NjZlLWIyMTgtYzk5...eight=1173]
15 TPE

Code:
13. Graphic, 1 TPE,

[Image: 99a906727f4d8bcf430b6b684a862311.png]

16 tpe

[Image: 75fL0ul.png]
credit to Qwest

CW

1. Trivia (3 TPE)

Skate

4. Playoffs Shmayoffs (3 TPE)

After winning it all last season with Seattle, I decided to continue my career with the Renegades this year. I decided to do so since I wanted to contribute to the special thing that is slowly building up in Texas as it is a young team with a lot of potential.

Moving to a rebuilding team, I expected an early exit in the playoffs, so it wasn’t a big surprise for me (especially since we faced my previous team, the Argonaults). Even though, I would have liked to make it further this year, I’m excited at the future as I think that we will have a very solid team in 3 to 4 season and that we should be able to become a serious challenger for the cup in 5 to 6 seasons.

As such, getting over our first-round exit wasn’t that hard this year. I went and played a couple of rounds of golf and began my off-season training.

6. Haiku Highlights (2 TPE)

A team on the rise
Not expecting anything
Playing golf early

7. Milestones (3 TPE)
+3 TPE - S69 milestones (claim 63)

21. Startup (3TPE)

If given a massive amount of money to make something that is hockey related, I would like to put it into a new hockey video game.

It is not as if I don’t like the EA’s NHL videogame, I think the gameplay is awesome, it’s just that I think we are done for some innovation instead of just being given roster updates for 80 bucks.

As such, I would like a hockey video game to challenge EA and maybe even make them come out with new ideas and finally innovate after being alone on the market for almost 10 years (The last 2k was for the 2013-2014 season).

As for the game I would make, I would like to bring back some of the more unique ideas like NHL slapshot did back in the day with motion control. Another great idea would be making a hub world like the 2K basketball did when allowing player to walk around a town where they were able to enter a basketball court if they wanted to play, a barber shop for their fit, etc. would make something like world of CHEL WAY more interesting in my opinion. Having a legitimate story option like longshot (Madden) or the Journey (FIFA) would be a lot of fun as well.

In brief, I would make a game trying to innovate to give players an alternative while also forcing EA to finally innovate to keep their game at the top.

22. Hope and Happiness (2 TPE)

I’ve recently finished college after almost seven years of non-stop higher education, and, currently, this is something that brings me a lot of happiness on a day to day basis. Even tought, Cegep and college were a lot of fun and I met a bunch of great people during this journey, coming home at 5 and having nothing to worry apart from what I’ll be making for lunch is a very welcomed change of pace. Another great part of my new life is that I really love my job and that I enjoy being able to put to use every thing I’ve learnt those past few years.

16/16

Getting ready because there is only 364 days before the next hockey team selection   Renegades

[Image: Ggpmsvy.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 11:08 PM by Slappydoodle. Edited 4 times in total.)

1 Trivia

1. S60
2. S48
3. Evil AllBran

4. Shmayoffs

This past season the Colorado Raptors had a significantly higher winning percentage than either the St. Louis Scarecrows or one other team that I don't remember, but think may have been Yukon. Despite having won far more games than those other two, Colorado somehow missed the playoffs due to some byzantine and cryptic rules that the J put in place for a reason nobody can understand.

Missing the playoffs was unfortunate for the Raptors in general and Walt Frazier in specific . As a special recompense for having unfairly missed the playoffs Walt bought himself a new fleet of racing squirrels. These squirrels all have pinstripes and hood scoops. He had after market carburators thrown in for good effect

Walt has raced these amazing squirrels all over the greater Colorado area and large sections of Wyoming. Crazy times have been had, drinks drunk and lady squirrels impregnated. You can't stop these squirrels, you can only hope to contain them.

Anyway, it was stupid that the Raptors missed the playoffs . I'm not happy about it.

7. Milestones
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3332014

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 10:53 PM by marco999. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

verification word: kaapo
+3 TPE  -  3/16

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Playoffs Shmayoffs (150 words min.)
Write about a time you didn't make the playoffs, and what you did to take your mind off it! Did you expect to miss the playoffs when it happened? Was it a shock? How did you take it? If you've never been on a team that missed the playoffs, tell me about an early exit you made instead.

I have been fortunate enough to never miss the playoffs in my SHL and SMJHL career, so I'll write about a couple of times early exits were not on the cards. It first happened in the SHL in S61 with the Edmonton Blizzard. We had a good squad and I was just a role player at that time, but I more than pulled my weigth on that third line. We were beaten in the Conference finals and that's the first time I tasted true defeat in the SHL playoffs. It then happened a couple more times more recently with the Winnipeg Aurora. Ever since I joined the Canadian team after exiting the rebuilding Blizzard, we've been on top of the league, but unfortunately, we still don't have a cup to show for it. We've only reached the Finals last season and the rest of the times qualify as disappointing exits. I'm still glad to be able to play on this wonderful team full of great people.

+3 TPE  - 6/16

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Fire and Light (150 words min)
Last season I loved the anthropormorphic boats vs. bulls question because people came up with some really fun answers to read, so I'm going to ask it again with the Forge and the Aurora, even though these teams' have less concrete branding. Tell me who wins in a fight: an enormous god bear made of colourful rays of light, or a massive magma monster with a giant hammer. The arena and the rules of the fight can be whatever you desire. Get creative!

To be honest, I don't even think this one is close. Looking at this objectively, and that's kind of absurd given the task, there's no way on Earth that a magma monster with a giant hammer can beat a god bear made of ray of lights. The hammer would just pass through the bear, wouldn't it ? It would be tricky for the bear to defeat the magma monster, but let's get creative. I've played my fair share of Pokemon, so let's get into that world. The bear would be a Fairy/Normal Pokemon, given that it's a god and made of lights. The magma monster would be a Fire/Dark type. The bear would have a special ability that it would be impossible to hit him with a physical attack, rendering the hammer unusable. Fairy moves are super-effective against dark types,so there's no way this fight ends in the magma monster's favor, according to me. I'm glad my Pokemon knowledge helped me somewhere.

+3 TPE  -  9/16
Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

link +3 TPE  -  12/16 TPE

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Is it exciting to have two completely new teams meet in the finals? What did you like or not like about this season?

I don't think the playoffs went as expected, but let's not talk about the resim, everything about it has been said. I still think the Winnipeg Aurora would've made it to the finals anyway, but the same can't be said about the Philadelphia Forge. I don't think there were any glaring upsets in the playoffs, but I think the end result would have been different. Philadelphia had a giant wave of momentum from the start of the playoffs (that they didn't have in the original sim), so I think there would've been someone else representing the Eastern Conference. However, I can only speculate who it would've been, but I can guarantee that Winnipeg would've won. I'm not biased at all.

+2 TPE  -  14/16 TPE
Code:
22. Written, 2 TPE, Hope and Hapiness (100 words min.)
I've asked this before, but since it may be my final time writing CW, I wanted to ask it again. It was one of my favourite questions to read responses to. Tell me something that happened recently that you enjoyed, something that brings you happiness, or something you have hope for in the future. It could be a huge thing like buying a house or a small thing like having fun with your lockerroom this season. I just want to give you a chance to write down something positive.

A lot has changed in my life ever since I last wrote about it. First of all I graduated with my bachelors' degree in accounting and I'm really proud of that. I then started my Masters' degree immediately after! I've also decided to change jobs. My last job made me really unhappy and it impacted my quality of life, so I've decided to make the big move and find a new job that makes me more happy and that I like very much. If I could give some wise words at the end of my CW post, I'd say it's to find a job where you're happy, it makes so much difference in your life!

+2 TPE  -  16/16

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 11:10 PM by Z-Whiz. Edited 2 times in total.)

Affiliate: https://forums.sim-football.com/showthre...#pid676277

1) Verification Word: quack quack quack

2a) I think an expansion build is the harder task, and no, I’m not just saying this because Atlanta did the same thing. Anyone can trade away all their assets and build through 100 draft picks. However, with the expansion, you don’t have that option. You have no assets to trade for other assets, you’re starting from scratch.
2c) planning on an on fire goalie to suddenly lose fire in the playoffs is a bad plan. Base Pack made save after save after save throughout the playoffs and has single handedly kept them alive in this cup run. Not trying to downplay the rest of Philly, but he’s the only reason they’re this far. Without him, they’d have lost in the 2nd round. Props to him and Philly tho. Everyone knows a hot goalie in the playoffs is a key to making a deep run.

3) My linemate is Agnes McPipe, wait no… Anxious Mc… Angus McFife the (some amount of roman numerals. He and I have been line partners from what seems like the very beginning. For a while were were the 2nd line D when we were still young pups, but right when Atlanta peaked, Angus and I took over as the 1st line. We’ve both had multiple All Stars and Stevens Award nominees. It really has been one of the most solid D line pairings of the last decade. It’s truly an honor working along side @micool132. I’m not sure why we work so well together. Maybe it’s the fact we’ve both been near or over 2000 TPE for so long, but that makes it sound too easy. I’m sure it’s actually because @hotdog has been deep in the sim engine doing testing and making sure he utilizes all the metas and broken parts of the game to the betterment of our D-line. He could be making sure we don’t lose Game 7’s, but instead, he’s making McPipe and O’Duck the best.

6) My Haiku:
Atlanta playoffs
First round gentleman’s sweep, yeah!
Next, lost in seven

7) Milestones: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3332034

[Image: puddlesoduck2.gif]

1. CW Trivia (3 TPE)

Rando

2. Challenge Cup (4 TPE)

a) As a member of the Winnipeg Aurora prospect pipeline, I have a slight bias towards what they have built over the past ten seasons, but even with said perspective, I would argue that Philadelphia has done phenomenally in reaching the challenge cup just ten seasons after expansion. There are teams who have missed the playoffs in each of the last ten seasons and now Philadelphia is just one season away from reaching the ultimate goal of an SHL franchise.
b) I have some experience as a GM/Coach in the FHM era because of the WJC, and I would say that the best way to subdue the threat posed by Rashford's playmaking would be to create a system of constant movement that changes the available passing lanes and consistently creating chaos in the defensive zone.
c) I think that the mental exhaustion of getting to this round of the playoffs as a goaltender cannot be understated. If Winnipeg wants to exploit a loophole that may be present in their opponent in Philadelphia, it may take some gamesmanship targeted at BASE PACK and rattling him early and often in individual games and the series as a whole.
d) Well, seeing as I am a procrastinator, I already know the result of the series. However, as a recently drafted member of the Winnipeg organization, I would have put my faith in the team from up north. The main reason for my rational argument for backing the Aurora is that the toughness in opponents played to reach this point in the playoffs absolutely favors them.

3. Chemistry Lesson (3 TPE)

This season was Vrana's second in the SMJHL for the Kelowna Knights, and with that, he saw a promotion from the third line to the second line and featured primarily on the team's first powerplay unit. At even strength, his linemates were most commonly James Lutz and Mito Chondria, who he's grown a great friendship with and their families. Each member of their forward line contributed at least half a point per game on average, and both fostered their best playmakers from within to supply Vrana with 24 goals by the end of the season. When I look at the rest of the Knights' roster, I see a team that can compete with the best of them next season, and team MVP Ekaterina Valieva is a big reason for this, therefore she is Vrana's ideal linemate moving into S70. Valieva has an uncanny ability to win faceoffs and secure possession early in shifts for her linemates, which would likely contribute to increased scoring output for the Czech winger next season.

6. Haiku Highlights (2 TPE)

The ice rink stands still,
Shots missed, goals denied, hopes dashed,
Try again next year.

7. Milestones (2 TPE)

2 TPE Milestones

18. The Procrastinator Special (2 TPE)

Sadly Philadelphia emerged victorious in the short Challenge Cup finale, which itself is a surprise to many as the Aurora defeated the defending back-to-back champions to reach this stage of the playoffs. The Forge's presence in the final whatsoever may be considered a surprise as well, but they did mount a +100 GD in the regular season so there was always a chance of them navigating their way through the Eastern end of the bracket. The aspect of this result that stands out most to me is the fact that we now have a new champion and we no longer have to deal with the Seattle colors on the site for another season in a row.

Championship Week - Total 17 TPE (in case I miss a trivia)

1. Trivia - 3 TPE (I hope)

Verification Word: Spelunk

2. Grab Bag - 2 TPE

b) I think that you have to go straight after Rashford. Sure you can try to stop the other members of his team who can bury his passes, but that still leaves him more open to take his shots. I think that you always have to lock down the best player the best that you can in order to fully shutdown the offence. If the other guys can't get the puck to him, they will be thrown off into having to play the game into a different plan than they had. (91 words)

c) One thing from talking to goalies is that they feel a lot more in the flow when they're getting more shots, and it's clear that BASE PACK is really feeling the groove right now. I think that if I were coaching, I would be emphasizing less on peppering him with shots and more on doing things that will be difficult to make it see, or react. Clogging the front of the net so he can't see the puck will make him have to start guessing, and allow opportunities for tips to re-direct the puck late enough that he can't react. (100 words)

4. Playoffs Shmayoffs (230 words) 3 TPE

Chad Nickelback has been pretty lucky in his young career to have had a ton of success in getting into playoffs, coupled with some deep runs, and (unfortunately) falling just short of the ultimate goal of getting the trophy.

This year was a bit of a different feel from the beginning of the season through to the end. Chad just didn't seem to have the same oomph or dedication to the team that he had had in the past, and that showed with his stagnation and slowing down of the improvement of his play on the ice. This carried through to the playoffs where he didn't help out the team as much as he needed to.

With a first round exit this year, Chad had much more time to reflect, and it was not something he had held well. Being used to success, Chad returned into himself and was a bit of a shell of uninvolvement with the rest of the team and took a lot onto his own shoulders. He let the team down, and as it turns out, it was the current squad's last kick at the can. When Nickelback emerged from writing depressed songs in his mansion, he found out that he had been traded. Back up north to Canada he goes to try and turn his career around and help bring another team to the playoffs.

6. Haiku Highlights - 2 TPE

One more playoff run
Again, failing to succeed
Traded to Dragons

7. Milestones - 3 TPE

Thread Link

18. 2 TPE (127 Words)

Honestly, these playoffs have turned out to be a little bit of a surprise to me. I had expected some bigger things out of teams like Montreal who had led the East through the season. I had fully expected them versus Winnipeg in the final and we didn't get that becasue Montreal took an early bow out to losing to New England in the Second round in what I would consider an upset.

Then to follow up the favored East team in my pool with Philadelphia coming in and dominating the finals is something I didn't expect at all. I had them taking an early dive but they proved me wrong, pushed through, and really showed that they were a well built team ready for playoff success.

22. Written, 2 TPE, Hope and Hapiness (152 words)

It sounds so stupid, but since I've been completely embroiled in a project at work, and spent a fair bit of time sick recently with whatever that cold that's going around is, I'm going to have to say I'm really jazzed to have finally cleared the final Mythic Boss of this raid in WoW and to get our cutting edge achievement. It's always a bit of a grind, but with everything else going on, it took a lot more out of me this time, and I felt a huge surge of joy and relief when that chickenbird finally died. We beat a raid team who has always been super rude to us and tried to shittalk us a bunch, and always feels good to top them.

Now it's just looking on the horizon with my project going live at work in about a month and a half, so that'll just feel great.

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 11:15 PM by MCP_. Edited 2 times in total.)

16 TPE

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Chomp

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Both Winnipeg and Philadelphia have taken the long road of drafting and development to find themselves in the Challenge Cup Finals. Winnipeg in full scale rebuild, and Philadelphia in the expansion draft. Each began nearly 10 seasons ago. From your point of view, which build is more impressive? Full scale teardown to challenge cup, or expansion draft to challenge cup?
b. Winnipeg's Mikko Rashford has been an unstoppable assist machine with 25 in 20 GP. If you're looking to shut down Winnipegs offense, who do you target? Rashford, or goal scorers surrounding them? Do you double down on guarding the scorers and letting a pass-first player take a shot, or do you go heavy on the passer and hope nothing squeeks through?
c. Philadelphia's BASE PACK has made over 500 saves in 17 GP. If you're a Winnipeg team looking for a weakness to exploit, do you think this is one? Does this signify an exhausted goalie that you can pepper with shots and eventually break the dam? Or is BASE PACK just an on-fire goalie that you need to find another way around?

3 Prompts, +3 TPE

a. I find Winnipeg to be more impressive here. While Winnipeg is mostly made of recreates (from the five seconds I looked at their team page), it's not easy to gather that many players into one team. Philadelphia, in theory, gets a pick of the litter during the expansion draft, and therefore easier to make a team. (56 words)

b. It depends on if there are other assist threats on the line. If there are, you're gonna have to be spread thin to cover them all, so it might be better to focus on the scoring threats. If not, focusing on the assist player is probably your best bet. If the player is both... good luck. (56 words)

c. It would be a bit harder to go hard on shooting against a younger goalie in my opinion. They're more flexible, have faster reaction times, and can easily readjust should the situation arise. If I were Winnipeg, I would try and to exploit a weakness they find during the game. (50 words)

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Playoffs Shmayoffs (150 words min.)
Write about a time you didn't make the playoffs, and what you did to take your mind off it! Did you expect to miss the playoffs when it happened? Was it a shock? How did you take it? If you've never been on a team that missed the playoffs, tell me about an early exit you made instead.

This season, the Nevada Battleborn got kicked out of the playoffs fairly early versus the Anchorage Armada. After the final loss, I spiraled into a confused, angry rant that was unintelligible to everyone but himself. I then proceeded to lie down on the floor, curling into the fetal position. I proceeded to lie in this position for 3 straight days, not even stopping to use the restroom. After those 3 days, I sat in the shower for another 4 days (water on and clothes on, of course). After realizing I now have to pay an arm and a leg on my water bill, I tried to get over it by going to a local Korean fried chicken place, but even then it was hard for me to keep it in, and was on the verge of tears the entire time. I then proceeded to perform a mental lobotomy of the account until right now, where the cycle will repeat.

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights  (5 words min.)
Rather than giving you a task where you do something boring like "write about your season" using things like "sentences and punctuation" I figured I could instead ask you to write a haiku about how your season went! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again.

DuBølk the All-Star
First round exit it's okay
I love the ram team

Code:

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestone Post Link

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Is it exciting to have two completely new teams meet in the finals? What did you like or not like about this season?

While Winnipeg making the finals was within the realm of possibility, I did not foresee the Philadelphia Forge making the finals, let alone winning the whole thing. It wasn't because of any particular reason, but rather they were not on my radar to make the finals. By technicality, the Aurora are the Winnipeg Jets but with a new coat of paint, but it was exciting to see two new teams in the finals after my last player was in Hamilton-Buffalo hell for over 10 seasons. I liked this season mostly because it was Season 69, and it was the season I promised to come back. (105 Words)

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

Code:
Trivia VW: pablo

Code:

Milestones

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights  (5 words min.)
Rather than giving you a task where you do something boring like "write about your season" using things like "sentences and punctuation" I figured I could instead ask you to write a haiku about how your season went! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again.

Second in the east
We're into the second round
Game seven despair

Code:
13. Graphic, 1 TPE, Memeing Like It's 2008
Make a mid-2000's style advice animal meme that describes your teams' season results. I really can't get any more specific than that. This one's pretty loose. Also don't try to sneak in some new meme format. I'll know.
[Image: index.jpg?width=775&height=580]

Code:
22. Written, 2 TPE, Hope and Hapiness (100 words min.)
I've asked this before, but since it may be my final time writing CW, I wanted to ask it again. It was one of my favourite questions to read responses to. Tell me something that happened recently that you enjoyed, something that brings you happiness, or something you have hope for in the future. It could be a huge thing like buying a house or a small thing like having fun with your lockerroom this season. I just want to give you a chance to write down something positive.

I went to a wedding last weekend which was pretty fun. Got to see a bunch of family I haven't seen in at least a year which was great. Mostly just got to hang out and play beer pong at the reception with my cousin. Overall a very fun time. I'm doing pretty good in my classes this semester too, much better than last sem which feels really good. All in all life isn't too bad right now, nothing major that's really bad happening or coming in the next while, so I just get to chill and hang out with everyone in the Atlanta LR.

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Chemistry Lesson (150 words min.)
Tell me about who your linemates were this year, and how the season went playing together. Why do you work well together? Why don't you work well together? If there was anyone on your team you don't play with but you'd like to, who is it? Why? If you're a goalie, tell me about your bond with your goaltending partner!

My (Pablo Salvatici) linemates this year on the Atlanta Inferno hockey club's second line were the wonderfully talented and handsome Jay Cue and Salzberger Lillehammerson. As Pablo is heading deeper and deeper into regression my point total is starting to taper off, so I had to change my expectations this season to a more supporting role and get carried. Cue and Lillehammerson were one and two on our team in scoring so I did pick up a solid amount of points, but nowhere near the amount from the last couple seasons. That said I'd say our chemistry was great and we worked well together since they dominated the opposing teams and scored at will it seemed, getting me a respectable amount of points along the way. That said, I'd have loved to play with Pavel Jeziak one last time as he is retiring now and I won't have the chance to do so anymore. (154 words)

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

A. In my opinion I'd have to pick the Philadelphia Forge's buildup as the more impressive. In a teardown rebuild like Winnipeg you've got existing pieces as assets to move and bring in picks and prospects. The Forge had to totally build from the ground up, getting what were likely less valuable pieces in the expansion draft to use and move. (60 words)

C. I think BASE PACK is just too good right now. A hot goalie can carry a team on its back, and I'd have to say that Winnipeg just won't solve him. He's been a brick wall these playoffs and no matter how prolific a team like Winnipeg is at scoring, I just don't see how BACK PACK doesn't stand on his head to win it all. (66 words)

16/16

[Image: Jepox.gif]

1. Trivia

word: retriprocity

7. Milestones

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3331734

2. Grab Bag

a. Though I commend Winnipeg for their roster construction, the Forge had a much more harrowing task. Building an organization from the ground up is one of the toughest jobs in any sport, never mind hockey, where a good group of minor league players, and a solid staff to build on is simply not there, and has to be built slowly and surely, with steady hand and to ensure that unforeseen obstacles don't wreck the entire effort.

b. With FHM, if a player can score, they will find a way to score. Players can score on their own, but teams win games, and if a team's defensive focus is based on stopping one person, it's not how you're gonna win games. In that sense, it's better to consider that the Forge should look to stop the rest of the team from scoring. Keeping the 17 other players on the ice from scoring should be the bigger concern.

c. Goalies are voodoo. Some days, the best goaltenders in the league just don't have it. On the other hand, the most middling goalies can catch fire at any time, and can become world-beaters in their own right. Winnipeg's best chance is to keep playing the game that has found them success over the past few series.

d. Hmm, how do I say that I'm doing this too late to getting to this question without just choosing the team that won the cup? Uh... well, I'll just admit that being tardy makes this question incredibly difficult to answer, and call it at that. I think that just about sums it up.

3. Chemistry Lesson

Hoang's linemates were his good friend and Great Falls captain Bobby McGinnis on his left, and young dynamo Tiberius Kane on his left. Hoang isn't a very talkative person, but he's often seen talking to McGinnis, ensuring his teammates are in the right frame of mind and giving him some advice for how to motivate some players over others. Hoang almost never has to say anything to Kane, whose personality dwarfs that of Hoang's, besides assurances when Kane feels he doesn't do well, or praise when Hoang feels he needs it. This line was instrumental in the Grizzlies getting over the hump during the regular season, ending up 4th in the standings at the end of the regular season. The Grizzlies owe a lot to the three, with McGinnis retiring after the year and having his number retired into the Grizzlies' Hall of Fame, and Kane looking like the new face of the Grizzlies, the SHL beckons for Hoang.

4. Playoffs Shmayoffs

Hai Nam Hoang and the Grizzlies missed the playoffs just once during his career, in S68. Hoang didn't dwell on the unfortunate circumstances that closed the doors on the Grizzlies, instead he poured himself into training, and getting to know and supporting his city better. Over the course of that season, Hoang’s father embarrassingly called him out for spending “too much money for charities”. In spite of his father, Hoang remained active in the Great Falls community, ensuring the local children’s hospital was able to address their needs, and making sure the money he pledged was going to the right places. When he wasn’t doing that, Hoang spent tireless hours working out, and making sure his body was in the right place for the season to come. Building muscle and keeping himself sturdy was a way for him to get ready for the grind of the playoffs he knew was coming.

[Image: TRVzgUB.png]

GrizzliesGrizzliesGrizzliesMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs

shl-oldshl-oldshl-oldUsaUsaMonarchsMonarchs

1.      CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE Verification: spam
2.      Milestones: 3 TPE https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3332033
3.      Written, 3 TPE, Chemistry Lesson (150 words min.)
This past season I was paired up with none other than Pete Aleman. This was the same pairing as the prior season but why fix what ain’t broke. Kelowna’s top line held their own and generated some solid offensive production against other teams’ top units. Pete and I work well together as he is far better than me at the defensive aspects of the game and can cover up my mistakes in the offensive zone. We both were good at causing turnovers and worked well in getting the puck up the ice quickly in transition.  Pete’s two-way ability allowed for me to be more aggressive in the neutral zone which is the real reason I was able to set personal records in goals and points this past season. This pairing will unfortunately take a brief hiatus next season as Pete will still be in Kelowna but will join me in Atlanta before long.

6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights  (5 words min.)
Put Pucks in the Net
Not biscuits in a basket
I’m not a baker

17. Written, 3 TPE, Water Logged (150 words min.)
Starting off I’m drafting my starting goalie as a blue whale, with a giant squid backing them up. It will be physically impossible to score on the former, but if you needed some more dexterity and puck control the squid would have you covered. At this point you really just need one goal per game and goals come from speed. For this reason right wing and left wing will be a sailfish and a mako shark. The mako shark will be a ferocious fore checker while the sail fish is a big body that can still move. Playing center between them will be a killer whale. Not only are these strong and fast but they are accustomed to using teamwork to hunt in the wild. The defensive pairing will be tricky. You need to have size and strength while retaining speed. This paring will be a hammerhead shark for its vision and a lobster for its durability.

22. Written, 2 TPE, Hope and Hapiness (100 words min.)
This was my final season in the minors and we finally got a decent winning streak and playoff run out of it. Seeing the locker room come alive during those streaks was great to see and was definitely a highlight of being in the SHL thus far. Not related to the shl, and definitely not as big as buying a house, but I got my first career hat trick this week. Sure it is just beer league and the goalie was incredibly intoxicated but I’m still counting it as a win.

SHL/SMJHL Finals

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Playoffs Shmayoffs (150 words min.)

Wow, now here is a question for me.  I can tell you all about not making the playoffs, I think I may be the foremost expert on the subject.

I was on Winnipeg back the last time they made the finals playing against my now GM hhh.  We were both a part of the rapid fire championship week questions as star young defense from the same draft.

From there, our careers took different turns and I very rarely made the playoffs.  Winnipeg never reached that same level while I was there even though we had great talent come through our doors.  When Ace came in and committed to the full rebuild of Winnipeg, I was traded around to a few teams that could use me to try and compete.

None of those teams missed the playoffs while expecting to make it, but they definitely left earlier than expected.  Well into my golden years, I'm now hopping between teams that don't expect to make the playoffs, I'm just there for the vibes and the league records.

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Fire and Light (150 words min)
Last season I loved the anthropormorphic boats vs. bulls question because people came up with some really fun answers to read, so I'm going to ask it again with the Forge and the Aurora, even though these teams' have less concrete branding. Tell me who wins in a fight: an enormous god bear made of colourful rays of light, or a massive magma monster with a giant hammer. The arena and the rules of the fight can be whatever you desire. Get creative!

I don't see how anyone in their right mind could give this one to the Forge.

First of all, the elephant in the room is not an elephant at all, but the fact that the Aurora is represented by a bear.  Bears are powerful and so are the Aurora.

Next, we take that bear and infuse it with the energy of lights in the sky. It's a lot like cocaine bear but with uncut pure solar juice.  It can clearly fly and it can clearly blind.  It's probably got some degree of cold powers to freeze.

Now you are going to tell me that a super powered bear is going to lose to a hammer monster?  Get real.  Fire cannot burn the ethereal but magma can dry out and crack.  In the absolute worst case scenario, the bear will win in the waiting game while chilling in the sky.

If you try to deny anything here, I will choose an arena that is basically Avater WaterWorld so the magma turns into a fat rock and sinks.

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights  (5 words min.)

My season has come,
Time has hit me once again,
My season now goes.

Code:

+3

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3332079

Beyond Prompts

Code:
21. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Startup (150 words min.)
Some out-of-their-mind venture capitalist gave you an insane amount of money to start your own hockey related business. What is it, and why do you want to start it? What need does it address? Does anything else like it exist? As a graphic option, create a very corporate looking power-point slide that pitches your busines to hyper business minded people.

The hockey related business that I'll start is a regional sports aggregator.  The hardest problem with liking hockey is trying to actually watch it.  You have to follow a 12 step flow chart to find which channel has your game on which night.

Once you find the channel, you have to figure out how to get it.  Usually it is some kind of cable replacement streaming package with expensive addons and you need three of them to get full coverage of the whole season.  When playoffs come around, you need two more packages.

Clearly this is a problem that exists and we're going to solve it.  We will have a base subscription which covers sports news and highlights across all leagues that buy in.  Then, you can have a simple addon model where you choose which sports or leagues to bundle in.  Only pay for what you want while they are in season.

I don't know at all how television business is modeled, so I'm making the bold and incorrect assumption that I can buy the rights to broadcast this content.  I will start by picking up the regional sports networks, and then if I become popular enough, the national brands will want to join in.

Code:
22. Written, 2 TPE, Hope and Hapiness (100 words min.)

Yeah, turns out I actually did buy a cabin.  We've been half planning on this for two years now, saving some money just in case.  Around the end of January, we found a posting and joked about buying it.  Toured it on the first weekend in February and now we close on Tuesday.

It has been a whirlwind experience because we had already set ourselves up for success without seriously searching for a place.  Once we found the place, we were ready for the financing and we had personal recommendations for all the various people that help make it happen.

The hardest part is flood insurance because it's on a river, but the elevation knocked quite a bit off the premium.  Now I'll be filling out my PT's by the water and Slip McScruff has another decade of seasons ready to go.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

1: e

6:
e e e e e
e e e e e e e
e e e e e

7: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3332090

22: i met my girlfriend last summer and we started dating proper in jan mang she ong just makes me so happy to hang around like shit dawg honestly dont know how she puts up with my bum ass sorry for gettin all sappy n shit here but u wanted something good

oh also last week the frozen chicken pot pies were half off at the grocery store so i bought like 3 of em and ate like a fucking king that was nice gonna pop by again after work tmr and hopefully therell be another stupid sale idk whats with that food basics but everythings kinda expensive except one item every week that goes turbocheap i hope its pork chops again

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2023, 02:34 AM by diacope. Edited 16 times in total.)

a. diacope [3]

a.
I think coming from both of these scenarios to the top is always a great accomplishment but I think the fact that an expansion team has to create more hype for free agents and such makes it much harder than a rebuilding team with assets and a plan ready to go.
b.
You said it perfectly when mentioning blocking any of the goalscorers but it has to be more than just that, having better timing, faster sprints and possibly being in position before the opposition is only going to give your team more scoring chances at the end of the game and that's how you win games.
c.
Nah I don't think a goaltender playing that much during the playoffs is going to hurt him when games are on the line, yeah I can see during the long season but with adrenaline rushing from plenty of high morale opportunities is only going to make the netminder better at the end of the day.
d.
Well I usually go with the underdog with this one since I don't really look into it much and stil don't know the winner but since Philadelphia has BASE PACK they get my nod for this season, they are a teammate I've had in the past on Carolina and want the best for them during their career! [4]

a. I followed our lines a lot and my linemates actually changed a lot at the start of the season but it settled on the 3rd like with Svensson and Fitted. Our chemistry was a little off but I think we all added something different to throw at our opponents, Svensson dazzled and liked to score, Fitted was obviously the best dressed and added an edge while I worked my butt off behind the scenes cleaning up any scraps. In the end we stuck together still and got a little better like most do carrying it into the playoffs while having lot of laughs but could have done better with more moving around because I think the sim liked the chaos we caused confusing the other teams all over the line up. Shout out to the coaching staff for their effort with changing stuff around for the second season in a row though.. Created a lot of memories despite losing earlier than we wanted. [3]

a. In my career I've only missed one playoffs in my 4 season stint in the SJML and thankfully I've been blessed with decent performances compared to my regular season numbers up to this point, honestly my mind wasn't in the game at that time when we did but shortly after that I tuned in so I didn't really need to get my mind off it.. If I would have been in the moment though I would have taken a nap with my dog and turned on the dog music to ignore it all because I'm a big conpetitior and hate the feeling. I can say I was a little shocked to look back at it now since it was one of our better seasons and our locker room was super lit.. I guess that's hockey and the gods made up for it the next few! [3]

a. https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3332102 [3]

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon