Create Account

[x2 WJC Media Week] British Isles and Team World overview
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2023, 12:53 AM by Seany148. Edited 1 time in total.)

After a long season that crowned the Quebec Citadelles as the league champion, with Jack St.-Clair as their general, it’s now time for the World Juniors Championship! I’ll be doing an analysis of two teams in the tournament, Team World and the British Isles, because I kind of forgot to do the rest!. Disclaimer: do not think my predictions are valid, they’re likely going to be bad. Without further ado, let’s go!

First off, we have the British Isles. This team is using their name as a fancy way to say “United Kingdom and Ireland” and is led by a dominant goalie, Jeff Newman. Newman, last season’s Detroit starter, dominated the SMJHL with 40 wins and 13 shutouts, pushing Detroit to a second straight regular season championship. If he keeps up his regular season performance, he might just replicate the success he had into the WJC, especially with the defense corps in front of him. Nevek Kove, a blueliner that literally eats pucks, and Alexander Minaj, a rock-solid, physical defender, headline the pairings as a 100% Quebec duo, fresh off a championship. Liam Logger, Carolina’s Quarterback, adds an offensive mindset to complete an amazing trifecta of physicality, defense and offense. Veteran Brendan Laroux, a steady two-way player, will make sure to teach the younger side of the team while protecting his SMJHL teammate between the pipes. As for the forwards, playmaker Viktor Hargreeves may surprise goalies by opting to use his very accurate shot instead of passing it, while the small but powerful forward in Guinness O’Bigbers will terrorize the opponent. Tiberius Kane, ignoring the sophomore slump, more than doubled his rookie stats and will need near total cover to negate all the damage he could cause *if* the puck gets to him. Joining Hargreeves in the center depth chart is reliable Raptor Adrian O’Rugg, netting 68 points last season and a 58% faceoffs success rate, skilled puck magician Derek Martin and a great depth option in Newfoundland’s very own Ryan McKennedy. This fully Irish center core might ask for more beers than an entire team, but they’re sure to keep it safe in the middle. Joining his Colorado teammate on the team, Erik Bergmark will threaten the flanks at high speed to create space as he’ll just find a way to get through the opposing block, being yet another offensive threat on this all around solid roster, while Kyle Murray will want to capitalize on his last year of eligibility with great levels of defensive, offensive and physical play, representing probably the best option for the British Isles in big moments, whether it’s a must score situation or a shutdown the opponent one. My prediction is that this edition of the British Isles will not finish last in their group, but relying on a goalie may be risky, though it has worked in the past. I’d predict them being out right before the semifinal, so without an option at a medal, but this team could very easily surprise.

Next, let’s talk about Team World. This year, the squad looks very scary as it include many stars in the lineup. From the S68 star Alex Piastri (dethroned last year by Cale Salad) to the likes of younger players Iliket Urtles and Luca Pane, there isn’t any shortage of talent on this team. Led by the captain Adam Prpich, who just finished his 3rd season playing for Carolina with 39 goals and 75 points, World might be a serious contender to win gold. Along with Prpich and Piastri, the offense will be led by the versatile Hai Nam Hoang, a small center for Great Falls, Pawter Meowski, the partner in crime of Salad in Maine and 3rd best scorer in the SMJHL this year, and Mushu The Dragon, another member of the high scoring Timber. Behind the blue line, NBB rookie goaltender Luka Nogoalov will be protected by the terror of the forest, Filip Lund, also wearing an A for this edition of the tournament. Elena Maximova, a Quebec young star, will instead assist the forwards from the point, as the skilled offensive-minded defenseman collected 51 points and a +32 differential in their first season as the S69’s champs Quarterback. Isak Sogard, a more old-school blueliner, will add some stability to the group while John Brown will mentor the young Maximova as an older offensive defenseman. As for the expectations for Team World, a medal is the obvious goal and I am one of those who think they could be a lock to the medal rounds, with a good start. There’s a great mix of young and old in this lineup, and while some general managers may believe they could be served better with veterans only, this isn’t the case here. My prediction is that Team World wins the BRONZE medal, but if it isn’t now, then the road to semifinals is only getting closer with them having a bright future. I expect Prpich, the Carolina Kraken star, to lead the team in points, but I could see Nam Hoang giving him a run for his money. 

To make up for a disappointing media, I'm going to get one out soon on the SHL draft because I'm very poor right now, so see you all soon!

876 words

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]

Has a 98% capped out team “relying on a goalie”

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

03-13-2023, 10:06 AMSecondSucks22 Wrote: Has a 98% capped out team “relying on a goalie”
*Checks Newman's stats*

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]

03-13-2023, 10:26 AMSeany148 Wrote: *Checks Newman's stats*

Yea Newmans doing great, but thats like saying the avs relied on Roy, or the red wings relied on Hasek. This is one of the strongest teams in the tourney top to bottom and theyre showing it, just sucks to see someone take away from the great play of 18 people because a goalie is doing well, go look at moons stats too

03-13-2023, 10:37 AMSecondSucks22 Wrote: Yea Newmans doing great, but thats like saying the avs relied on Roy, or the red wings relied on Hasek. This is one of the strongest teams in the tourney top to bottom and theyre showing it, just sucks to see someone take away from the great play of 18 people because a goalie is doing well, go look at moons stats too

First of all, it is not my intention to take away from anyone, I should have specified I didn't really base anything off of TPE, because let's be honest FHM is random as best. I just wanted to do a quick analysis going off of SMJHL stats, and if it feels like I'm implying the rest of the team is bad, then I'm sorry. It's never my goal and I'm just doing this for fun, I'll be careful next time though!

03-13-2023, 10:40 AMSeany148 Wrote: First of all, it is not my intention to take away from anyone, I should have specified I didn't really base anything off of TPE, because let's be honest FHM is random as best. I just wanted to do a quick analysis going off of SMJHL stats, and if it feels like I'm implying the rest of the team is bad, then I'm sorry. It's never my goal and I'm just doing this for fun, I'll be careful next time though!
My one criticism aside, its a great article and its nice seeing someone actually care about the tourney, im just protective of my kids