Create Account

S70 PT #0: Otherworldly Forecheck Due: March 26th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

One of the easiest ways to explain something that someone knows nothing about or has never seen before would be to compare it to something similar that they're familiar with. That said, the first thing I'd do is find out if this other world has any sort of sports that were comparable in any way to hockey. That would make things much easier. If there isn't, well, we will have to do things the hard way.

People need to get an idea of what a typical hockey rink looks like, the positions of the players, and what those players do. When it comes to demonstration, I'd use a small ball or some other round object, a long stick with something on the end of it (think a broom without bristles), and something to act as a net. If some variation of ice skating exists, it would be easy to explain that this sport is played on ice skates. If not, I would probably leave that out of the demonstration. Then, in a flat open lot with two teams of 4 or 6, including goalies, I would have everyone take their positions and walk through the basics of how to play. Then we would play actual games! Eventually, we would bring this to someone who could help it catch on so everyone could enjoy the game of hockey!

PROMPT 1
[227 words]

[Image: the5urrealshl.gif]

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]
[Image: KOKeZZJ.png]

SSL Affiliate

[Image: ZLoVQGU.png]
[Image: M02LOrx.png]

- Profile Page - Update Page -

P1.

Since Nash is in fact a dog, I think having a round of hockey that is played entirely by dogs would be pretty entertaining. There is the puppy bowl during the super bowl, so why not hockey as well? We would take a fenced in dog park area and put recessed goals at both ends of the side. Each of the dogs would have a hockey "stick" on their front paws, and a bit of an oversized but round puck. They would not be able to pick the puck up with their mouths, but would be able to kick and nudge the puck towards the other goals. There would be treats in the ball or something scented to make it more enticing for them to actually go after it. Each team after scoring would go to the sidelines for their well earned treats. I think this could be a pretty entertaining way to have animals play the sport.

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2023, 09:38 AM by MikeLiut. Edited 2 times in total.)

P1.

Ok, gods, it's not that hard. You have to get that little puck in that small net. Hephaestus will make some hockey sticks for all. No Thor, no hammer. You have to skate, so Hermes, just be careful, you might smash your head on the board if you go too fast. No, Shiva, even if you have 4 arms, you can only have one stick. Poseidon, you might want to be careful, it's water but frozen. Same thing, Jesus. You may walk on water, but it's not the same thing as skating, you know. About the ice, Apollo, I know you are the God of the sun, but holy Christ, STOP MELTING THE ICE. If you do something bad - I'm looking at you, Loki - you spend 2 minutes in the penalty box. No, not the Minos labyrinth, just the penalty box - sorry Daedalus. Dionysos, what did you put in the Gatorade?!? Ok, yeah, there is no rule against putting Bouddha in front of the net to play as a goalie, but that's a shitty move.

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!

[Image: hB5FXl6.png]

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

ISFL Affiliate
Username: Jumbo

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

philippe eko eel didn't actually go to another dimension he just returned to a more naturalistic environment for his species (eel) and went back underwater. there are a bunch of physical constraints that make hockey relatively difficult underwater but philippe eko eel, fresh off his newfound fame and acclaim in the human world playing the sport, made it his mission to bring hockey to the rest of the eels underwater. this does actually beg the question of how philippe eko eel learned about hockey in the first place if its completely unknown to eels but we'll save that story for another PT. anyway philippe eko eel realized that most of the equipment and gear would be pretty easy since there's so many different kinds of coral and assorted vegetation it's easy to replicate pucks and sticks and even sweaters and helmets. the most difficult part was the ice, of course. he and his eel friends smoothed out a big section of ocean floor to make it smooth and rink like and then they recruited an oceanic bottom-dweller called the Frosty Fish to blow on the section continuously to make it icy enough to skate. there were other issues like the rest of the arena also being water. hmmmm. work in progress i guess. but water hockey went quite well!

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

-      ‘’Hockey, hmmm. How to explain it! Well basically, you have this puck, a small cylinder-esque object made of a very hard material, and the goal is to put it in a net to score a goal.’’

-      ‘’Okay, and how do you get the puck in the net?’’

-      ‘’Well there’s five player’s on each team that skate from one end to the other, passing the puck to one another in hopes to out manoeuver the opponent and beat the goalie.’’

-      ‘’Skate??? Goalie?? As in, your shooting this hard object at someone who has to put themselves in front of it to stop it?’’

-      ‘’Well, yeah, but they have equipment so that it doesn’t hurt, including a helmet’’

-      ‘’Ah okay, what about the skate part?’’

-      ‘’Well, see, the game is played on ice, so its ice hockey, and you glide across the ice with the puck’’

And so goes the weird conversation of trying to get people to play hockey. We often overlook how peculiar the sport is because we’re so used to it, but imagine that without the modern day equipment back when hockey first started, wow! The strategy would have to be, try it before you knock it, and see how it plays and you’ll enjoy it!

(214 words)

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders

Prompt 2

One would have to imagine Death isn't very good at ice hockey. But the problem for Sven is, he's regressed a lot so perhaps he's not that great either anymore. He doesn't have the speed he used to, or the power to his shot. So perhaps it's better to challenge Death to something that's less about active physical skill, and go for something more passive instead. After thinking about it for a minute Sven knows what to do. He challenges Death to a competition of most shots blocked!

Sven currently holds the New England Wolfpack all-time record for blocked shots. After almost two decades on a team that has struggled for most of that time, he's mastered the ability to read shots and get in the way. Almost becoming as good as the goalies in the league. The competition would consist of a sharpshooter trying his best to shoot around Sven and Death and hit the net. And ultimately if Sven loses, at least he was able to provide Death with some bruises.

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

WRITTEN TASK: What skills competition do you think you can beat Death at? Why? Would you try to cheat, or just give it your best shot?

This would be very difficult for Paul Koivu, considering he is not very skilled in something particular, and from what I hear Death is one of the best hockey player to have ever existed (he has won multiple challenge cups, people just forgot it happened because it was very long ago). Anything speed related is useless, and would not guarantee a Koivu win, so that cannot be the solution Paul settles with. Death is very good at skating, and is probably better than anyone in the league. Paul is not super good at puck handling, so he would not really be able to beat someone at it, definitely not death out of all people. So it will have to be at shooting accuracy, which is something Paul is actually pretty decently good at. Where as death, was actually notoriously bad at being accurate with his shot, which is why he went into retirement in 1569, because he would get be made fun of for missing every shoot he took. ALso cheating death is not a good idea, death knows all, so paul will just have to trust in his shot and score as many as possible, like he always does.

200 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

Prompt 1

It could be a challenge to find ice skates and well, ice, in another world, so I'd simplify it and make it more accessible by using roller skates a just an asphalt playing surface. Ice hurts and asphalt hurts too, so it's still the same. It's easy to make a hockey stick shape with whatever, so I'd keep the sticks as they are. The pucks are the easiest to replicate, we used to do them with frozen cow excrement, so I'm pretty sure I could manage with whatever I find. Now for the rules, just to make it extra spicy, I'd remove all the penalties and now things just got really interesting. The only thing is you can't kill or intentionally injure an opposing player or else you're banned for life. Sounds pretty easy to follow right? I'd also remove the offside and icing calls, just to make sure it's extra chaotic. After I show them how to play and explain the basic rules and strategy, I'd just disappear into oblivion, knowing I just created something crazy somewhere.

178 words

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

PROMPT 1: Your player has died and been reincarnated in another world of your choosing. Unwilling to give up on your game, but finding it doesn't exist in your new world, you now need to introduce and grow the game of hockey in this alternate dimension!

My player has died and has awoken in a very different dimension, It's not anything modern day! He has awoken in a prehistoric dimension with dinosaurs and cavemen.

While wandering around trying to find any sort of people and avoid the dangerous creatures he picks up a leg bone from a dinosaur skeleton and originally intends to use it as protection but while walking he finds a nice roundish dinosaurs skull and he starts smacking it ahead of him and thinking of his hockey playing days.

He stumbles across a small tribe of cavemen hunting who immediately see him as a threat but after much grunting (they clearly do not understand any language yet). One of them starts to point at his leg bone making a weird motion almost as if he wants to see what he was doing again.

He starts to play with the skull and bone again and the cavemen seems very amused. He then sets a couple stones apart to make crude goals and begins showing them how to "score" by shooting the skull through the newly placed stones.

They travel back to their homes where they continue learning the basics of hockey!

Code:
197 words

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png] [Image: 1I2bN7C.png]

pt pass

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Patricija would have some level of difficulty introducing hockey to a completely new world. First of all, do they even have ice on this strange planet? If they did, then it's an easy initial transition; just sharpen a couple short swords and attach them to the bottom of boots and off you go. But no ice? That's more difficult. The first thing that would come to Patricija's mind is, of course, using some kind of wheel system like a roller blade instead of ice skates. But that's not really hockey. Regardless, it'd be an alright place to start. Padding and equipment would come next. Surely they would have some form of thicker clothing that would work somewhat, and if worst comes to worst you can always strap additional material to players. Patricija believes you cannot properly play hockey without having all the essentials in place, learning to play hockey without a representation of all the equipment might give them the wrong impression of what the game is like and create traditions that she would not want to support in the future. So, she would spend an unbelievable amount of time sourcing materials and equipment, to the point they may not reach the "playing hockey" stage at all depending on how long she is stuck in the alternate world.

[223 words]

Prompt 2

I do not really know what to answer. I am not great at anything. I have to assume death is great at everything. So what am I best at? What gives me the best shot of sticking it to death. I would have to say, a good old fashioned weed smoke off. Now don’t get me wrong. I am not the best at the weed. But I’m pretty darned good. Death would have their hands full with all that smoke.
That was a stupid answer. I am really good at cities skylines I think. That usually goes hand in hand with the weed tho. Could it be multiple things at once? Can I challenge death to a weed and cities skylines off? This is just getting worse. I eat really fast. Maybe it can be a race to eat something get really on the weed. Then play cities skylines for six hours. If you actually read this and don’t just count the words, I’m sorry, your prompt was fine, I’m just an idiot.

[Image: Fantobens.gif]