Create Account

State of the Russian Federation: Goaltenders

04-11-2023, 06:13 PMluke Wrote: I thought this was a sim league

unconscionable

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

I do think removing the nationalism/countries from IIHF and having a created teams that recruit people to join them might be interesting. Like a fantasy drafted tournament, or individually recruited like it's colleges. Sounds fun and serves a similar purposes without tying identities to nations.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

04-11-2023, 09:20 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: I do think removing the nationalism/countries from IIHF and having a created teams that recruit people to join them might be interesting. Like a fantasy drafted tournament, or individually recruited like it's colleges. Sounds fun and serves a similar purposes without tying identities to nations.
that sounds like free agency with extra steps

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

I am begging some of you to show even the slightest amount of basic human decency and empathy in a thread where people are literally talking about their families being in actual danger of death on a daily basis. I know you have it in you to turn off the memes and shitposts in just this one specific thread, please. People are hurting and frightened for their lives and the lives of their family, this just isn’t the place.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

04-11-2023, 05:55 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: *cough*

Fwiw, so as to not jump in here and say nothing of value, my personal main takeaway from the story of John Brown is that sometimes an individual must take it into their own hands to fight against tyranny. Should you resist an immoral and unconscionable evil and find no resolution after exhausting all peaceful options, well, then perhaps you might find insight in John Brown's last quote,

Any connection to be noticed between John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry and the actions of modern day Russia is left open as an exercise to the reader.

[Image: Captain-America-no-you-move.jpg]
John Brown -> Captain America?  

Anyway ignore this post...has no bearing on the topic.

04-12-2023, 10:00 AMChevy Wrote:
[Image: Captain-America-no-you-move.jpg]
John Brown -> Captain America?  

Anyway ignore this post...has no bearing on the topic.

hard to compare a comic book super hero to a real life anti-slavery terrorist (good).

John Brown is more like The Punisher

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

04-12-2023, 10:39 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: hard to compare a comic book super hero to a real life anti-slavery terrorist (good).

John Brown is more like The Punisher

but like, the actual Punisher and not whatever idea of him the blue lives matter people keep trying to attach to their bullshit.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

04-12-2023, 10:43 AMsköldpaddor Wrote: but like, the actual Punisher and not whatever idea of him the blue lives matter people keep trying to attach to their bullshit.

exactly

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

04-12-2023, 10:44 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: exactly

Oooh...He would make a much better Frank Castle wouldn't he.

04-11-2023, 09:35 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: I am begging some of you to show even the slightest amount of basic human decency and empathy in a thread where people are literally talking about their families being in actual danger of death on a daily basis. I know you have it in you to turn off the memes and shitposts in just this one specific thread, please. People are hurting and frightened for their lives and the lives of their family, this just isn’t the place.

Gotta love the usual suspects turning a legitimate discourse of a serious issue into jokes. Can't say I'm surprised.

I'm all for changing the fed personally. As someone who has followed the war daily since it's beginning I have seen pictures/video and read articles on the Russian atrocities and really empathize with both our Ukrainian users as well as European/Eastern European users who have lived with or experienced Russian aggression or occupation.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

04-11-2023, 09:27 PMboom Wrote: that sounds like free agency with extra steps

You don't feel like you're screwing a team over in IIHF, it's less personal I guess.

Regardless, I do think getting rid of Russian branding seems prudent. It's the least we can do to let people know we care about them as they go through a horrible time.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

04-11-2023, 09:20 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: I do think removing the nationalism/countries from IIHF and having a created teams that recruit people to join them might be interesting. Like a fantasy drafted tournament, or individually recruited like it's colleges. Sounds fun and serves a similar purposes without tying identities to nations.

I like this idea. Honestly for lack of a better term the current create system kinda ruins everything.

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2023, 02:30 PM by PremierBromanov. Edited 1 time in total.)

I'm against it but if this is the path chosen, then it's worth looking at designs that are "fantasy" but still echo the countries that user's are trying to emulate. It's part of the core fantasy of hockey for a player to have a birth nation, more than other north american sports leagues.

A good example of evocative fantasy is the Scythe boardgame factions. Scythe specifically is more focused on europe as an alternate history (and in 1920) but they are evocative

https://iron-harvest.fandom.com/wiki/Scythe#Factions

The base 5 are:
Republic of Polania
Saxony Empire
Crimean Khanate
Nordic Kingdoms
Rusviet Union

You can see that they are pretty obviously themed after specific regions and countries, but dont necessary carry with them a specific country. Just like the WJC in a lot of cases.

I would move that if we are going to be arbiters of what is a good and bad nation and open up the can of worms that is geopolitics, we should instead do away with literal representations and move towards evocative branding. No doubt your heads are swimming with ideas of how to brand USA or Canada without actually calling them that.

Only problem with that is that it's less inclusive by definition. What do we do with players who want to create as South East Asian or African or South American or any country not represented in the IIHF? It requires a bit of effort to accomodate every culture and country, else just not allow those sorts of distinction. idk, i think that distinction is important to a lot of players

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2023, 03:10 PM by boom. Edited 1 time in total.)

idk i feel like just yeeting iihf would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, people affected by this aren't asking for some major reckoning on geopolitics they just don't want to see the explicit imagery/iconography of a government that is hurting and killing their people right now, i think just saying "no one can have countries anymore" would be an overreaction

speaking from the point of view of being 8 seasons into a narrative, having to fictionalize everything to be in some fantasy country would have been a damper on benign elements of the story and make things really really complicated, and could put off new users who want to write about their player in a certain country.

@PremierBromanov you mentioned players wanting to create as more obscure nations, I can't speak for them but I know @eddiesnothere has done some pretty fantastic media with a Vietnamese player coming to North America. I think if users are going to make players from those countries we can let them figure out how to approach the stories and see where they go with it.

With only a representation of the top division in the real-world international hockey sphere without lower tiers, we're never going to be able to give every single country create a national team to play on and I think it's fine to leave that decision in the users' hands to adapt to being online.

EDIT TO ADD: not to mention the "vague geographical definitions" would probably lead to federations like Finland/Sweden/Denmark/Norway or Germany/Switzerland/France that become very oversized.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

I still have no goaltenders.