Create Account

IIHF Rulebook Updates

Dear SHL Community,

Please note that the IIHF rules have been changed regarding tampering.

Why? The HO's intent was to prevent a scenario where a Fed Head would pressure a current player to create for their nation when they would not have created for the same nation had they not been contacted. The HO felt that no one should be pushing someone to create for a specific nation, regardless of what nation they are currently on.

What has changed? We think the definition of tampering and a legal (or illegal) contact has been greatly improved. Although the rules are much longer, they better explain how these concepts are applied in an IIHF environment.

What is tampering? It is defined as an illegal contact with an ineligible player for the purpose of joining a particular Federation or for the purpose of creating for a particular Federation.  This includes:
  • Locked-in players;
  • SMJHL rookies prior to the start of their first playoffs;
  • A current or prospective user before their player is created and approved.
What is now considered Illegal Contact?

(1) Suggesting, colluding or attempting to transfer the tampered player to a specific Federation.

For example:
  • Encouraging a player to leave their Federation through a locked transfer by convincing the player to ask their current Fed Head not to play them.
  • Posting a transfer of an SMJHL rookie before the start of their first SMJHL playoffs.

(2) Talking about where the tampered player would fit in a specific Federation if they were to join.

For example:
  • Stating “We need you as a forward“ to a user and/or describing in detail the planned role for a specific player.
However, it has been decided that Fed Heads can address future needs with their current locker room when members plan to re-create. More vague references, such as saying "We need forwards" to a user and describing the general needs of a Federation, are allowed.

(3) Contact with the intent to influence or change a user's mind, although Federation members may discuss their intentions with members currently in their Federation. A league member or league leader should appear objective and promote the league over your league.

For example:
  • An imperative or commanding tone, guilt-inducing language, threats of repercussions (social or otherwise) outside the IIHF (on and off the SHL platforms), derogatory language toward another nation or a user on another nation, repeated messaging and harassment, gaslighting, and any other behavior deemed abusive by the IIHF HO.

(4) Recruiting comments on Reddit, Discord, or non-SHL forums, such as a "Join our Federation" message.

For example:
  • Posting on a Reddit thread promoting your nation.
Legal Contact: Please note that posting on the SHL media sections promoting a Federation is considered legal contact.

The new rule now allows players to discuss their recreate plans with others, but prohibits any attempt to coerce them into creating for a particular nation. The new rule aims to strike a balance between players' freedom to create and maintaining a fair and level playing field.

The changes may be subtle to some, but the IIHF HO aimed to create a more effective and fair set of rules around recruitment and tampering. While there were differing opinions and dissenting voices throughout the discussions, we hope we have ultimately arrived at a new set of guidelines that aimed to balance the needs of different groups within the community while still maintaining fairness and transparency.

On behalf of the IIHF head office, thank you for your time
MikeLiut, IIHF co-commissioner

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!

Was tampering a really big issue before? In 3 years the only cases I’ve ever seen were when a fed head goofed up and contacted an unassigned rookie early.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

thus ends my long, sordid reign of gaslighting people into thinking they created for Sweden all along :(

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

04-22-2023, 03:50 PMboom Wrote: Was tampering a really big issue before? In 3 years the only cases I’ve ever seen were when a fed head goofed up and contacted an unassigned rookie early.

So, guess we're not getting a response to this? Tbh I was gonna ask myself what caused this change to be needed

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2023, 01:59 PM by MikeLiut. Edited 1 time in total.)

Thanks @boom for your question.

The discussion stemmed primarily from the desire to ensure that new players were not influenced at or before their creation. Applying this principle therefore meant better framing the nature of the discussions between all the actors involved. To answer your question more specifically, the approach was taken out of a desire to ensure that this principle was respected, rather than as a response to a current recurring major problem. It was implemented proactively.

EDIT: @ACapitalChicago , message sent at the same. Hope it does answer your concerns as well.

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!

04-22-2023, 03:50 PMboom Wrote: Was tampering a really big issue before? In 3 years the only cases I’ve ever seen were when a fed head goofed up and contacted an unassigned rookie early.

To also answer this questions as I didn't see this thread get bumped:

In my current tenure I think we've seen one tampering case and accusation, but in my previous tenure we saw a situation develop every other season.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

everyone uses text and messenger anyway

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]