Create Account

The Trade

[830 words, ready for grading]

had to write my player getting traded to be GM at some point and here goes, this will be a shorter piece but enjoy
aside: i think i've mentioned the name before but I came up with the first name before I had any idea about the character from The Last of Us and so I decided to just lean into it and retcon/reveal her last name to be this. 

~~~

Sophie Bordeleau left the San Francisco Pride practice facility on a sunny April day after a training session and saw a text from her old agent, Ellie. While she didn't represent the hockey player directly anymore, as that job had been taken over by an up-and-comer in Marianne Maltais, the two still kept in contact sometimes. Sophie enjoyed staying in touch with the person who had helped her career get started, and the two always had some good conversations. The message was simply one line with a link to a news article. Check this out!, the text read. Ellie Williams New Boss at Calgary, the title of the article said. Sophie sat down on a bench outside the arena and quickly scrolled through the article. She had been somewhat of a dark horse for the job, but the hire had people making some interesting speculations about the hire of the team. While Sophie hadn't played with or interacted much with players from the Dragons outside of the All-Star Game - now that she thought of it, she'd probably be seeing them at this year's event - she had heard that they could be a closed-off bunch. Regardless, she was happy to see her friend succeed in the hockey world and was quick to respond with her congratulations. Ellie had always been a bit of a firecracker and if she could channel that into her work as GM with the Dragons then she could take them far.

The news that Sophie wasn't expecting came later in the spring. After another regular training session, she was getting ready to leave when the team's manager popped up from around a corner. "Got a minute? I've got some news that you should here," he said before disappearing back into his office. Sophie briefly raised her eyebrows before following him in and taking a seat, closing the door behind her. "I hear you're friends with Williams in Calgary, the GM?" the manager began as Sophie replied with a nod. "She called, couple days ago. Said the way you play and handle yourself with the media is something she really wants there. Made an offer I couldn't refuse." The hockey player opened and closed her mouth, the gravity of the statement not quite reaching her. "You mean..." she was able to get out, met by a sad expression of affirmation from the manager. "You've been traded to Calgary. I know this is a lot, take all the time you need. The media will find out soon, just wanted to make sure you'd find out right from the source," he finished. Sophie turned to leave, her brain still not understanding, but looking back the manager seemed to be holding it together as well. "Just business. We're going to be really sad to see you go, you've been a great voice around the team and locker room here." And with that, it was over.

Taking the side door out to avoid running into people, Sophie managed to make it back to her car before collapsing into her seat. Her wife was at the studio working on something or another, but right now Jamie's voice was the only one she wanted to here. She tentatively dialed the number as it went to her car's speaker. "You there?" she opened, trying to keep her voice steady to avoid betraying the truth. "Sure, love, just about to go on a lunch. What's up?" Jamie replied, a cheerful lilt in her voice as always. Sophie took a deep breath to prepare. Here goes nothing. "I just talked to the boss. I...I got traded. Calgary," she managed to gasp out, her hands shaking. "I'm sorry. I know you love it here." All that came over the speaker in return was a shuffling sound. "Sorry. Had to find a spot to sit down," Jamie responded with an impressive calmness given the circumstances. "It's all good, love. I knew this was a possibility sometime, I might not have followed hockey for as long as some people, but I've talked to enough partners this whole time to know it's not easy and I knew what marrying you meant," she went on. "Wherever you go, I'm with you." Sophie's hands were still trembling from the stress, but her worst nerves seemed to have been calmed. "So, Calgary, huh? I hear it's cold there?" Jamie finished, and with that the tension in the air broke. "J, we grew up in Quebec. Nothing more than we're used to," Sophie shot back, and they knew they would be okay.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

The fact that Calgary is being compared to Quebec hurts (lol). Otherwise great read as always, I love those lore entries!

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]

Great read as always!

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

05-05-2023, 08:02 AMSeany148 Wrote: The fact that Calgary is being compared to Quebec hurts (lol). Otherwise great read as always, I love those lore entries!
admittedly I only grew up in one of the cities involved so I can’t speak for both but it is hella cold here in the winter

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

05-05-2023, 01:54 PMboom Wrote: admittedly I only grew up in one of the cities involved so I can’t speak for both but it is hella cold here in the winter
Oh the cold part is true for both I'd guess

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]