S71 Championship Week!

CW Verif Code: Stone
S71 Milestones +1 TPE

[Image: 1wgIGr9.png]
[Image: MEAGHER.png]
Credit Maxy and Merica for sigs

diacope
(3)

On a regular scheduled game you will see a great amount of effort from Raiya to get involved in all areas and after completing a mission a smile that could draw in a crowd appears. Whenever she suits up for her home country and the gold is on the line she thinks a lot differently than she usually does though, all feelings and friendships are out the window from previous ventures and giving it her all every shift is a must even if it sends her to the hospital.

On the ice you should witness plenty of slamming hits or attempts to, emotionless reactions at electrifying moments and a desire to pay respect to the crowd at any given moment out of Rabinov if she ever gets called for the job, even if it's only one time she's patiently waiting for her call to represent her given roots.
(3)

My favorite part of the series has to be the 8-6 result that had a 7 goal third period. In a tie series with the momentum up for grabs and a ton of highlights to boost the moment made for some great hockey, we saw Winnipeg dashing around the ice accurately while a raging Buffalo didn't take their keys out of ignition and ended up overwhelming the Aurora before they could react giving the Stampede fuel to speed the rest of the way. I'm also a fan of having a new winner as much as I do love the Aurora. Congratulations y'all!
(2)

(8/8)

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
HBWHW

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Winnipeg has put together an impressive streak of Challenge Cup Finals appearances, but has no hardware to show for their dominance in the west so far. What do the Aurora have to do differently to get over the hump this year?
I think this time is probably the best time for the winnipeg aurora to win it, because on paper this is the weakest team they have to face, but they have a strong run in this playoff. So to win, winnipeg has to really study their opponents and not be complacent despite normally having one of the easiest matchups
59 words
b. Buffalo, fresh off a rebuild, crushed their way through the first two rounds of these playoffs after coming in as a wildcard, scoring two consecutive sweeps against two of the best teams in the East. Have the Stampede convinced you? If so, what sold you?
I mean yeah of course they have. It is really hard not to root for them here, because this is one of the best cinderella stories that we have ever seen. Buffalo has absolutely crushed it this season, and they will have so much momentum going into a tough matchup, where the enemy team might not expect them to be competitive enough and will have their guard down.
68 words
c. Two very different teams took two very different routes to the Cup Final: which of them impressed you more? Why?
Has to be the Buffalo stampede, no offense to the winnipeg aurora, but they really came out of no where. If you told me before the playoffs that buffalo would make it to the finals, i would not believe you. No one even thought they could ever get through the first round against montreal, one of the best eastern conference team. But here they are, facing the best three team of the east, it is not like they had an easy run either.
83 words

Code:
12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won the cup! (Sorry, Micool.) What was your favorite part of the series? Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to have a better chance?

so obviously as we know the buffalo stampede won the challenge cup over the winnipeg aurora, which would normally be categorise as an upset, but really when you look at the stampede run, it had to be done. I think i liked when buffalo started winning after losing the first two games. I think winnipeg just did not take buffalo seriously enough, and after the two wins at home they considered it was done and did not try to change the way they were playing, which ultimately meant the stampede could counter them strategically. If they at least tried to play differently every game then they might have had a chance to still be in it.

116 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

fake

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Winnipeg has put together an impressive streak of Challenge Cup Finals appearances, but has no hardware to show for their dominance in the west so far. What do the Aurora have to do differently to get over the hump this year?
b. Buffalo, fresh off a rebuild, crushed their way through the first two rounds of these playoffs after coming in as a wildcard, scoring two consecutive sweeps against two of the best teams in the East. Have the Stampede convinced you? If so, what sold you?

a. As it turns out, I was able to get a behind-the-scenes look at their plans. The plan is the following: score goals, get the pucks in deep, make good changes, play the full 60 minutes, and keep out of the penalty box. It must be a good plan, since every single player on the team said that this was the plan in all of their interviews.

b. They did not convince me here, since they convinced me all the way back in the S50s and S60s that they were gonna be back sooner than later. If we want specifics, they probably are the best team in terms of asset management, so getting back here after a few slumpy seasons was not much of a surprise.

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Blood on the Ice (150 words min)
Continuing an emergent tradition: this year's final features a god-bear of cosmic wind facing an unfamiliar rival on a familiar battleground: this year, the great glowing north faces a furious herd of buffalo! Tell me who wins and why! The arena and the rules of the fight can be whatever you desire. Get creative!

Like last season, we're asking if a herd of mortal, killable animals would be able to defeat a literal god. The answer is of course, no; the bear god would wipe the floor with the buffalo no matter what line of logic you could apply. The bear god is probably a nature god, so it can change the landscape of the battlefield no matter what: rapidly growing trees, new streams and lakes, mountains rising, caverns dug: literally anything you can think of would be at the bear god's disposal. Even if it did not have those abilities, the mortal buffalo are fighting a non-corporeal entity, meaning they won't be able to even whiff the bear god. In turn, the bear god could do any sort of action against them and it would be done without retaliation, because, once again, it's a non-corporeal entity. There is no reason the herd of buffalo should even think about being the victor in this situation, much less thinking there's a way to actually fight back.

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post

aero

11. Written, 3 TPE, Civil War (150 words min.)

How does your player feel about playing against SHL teammates in the IIHF? Do you ease up on your hits, or do you go harder? Do you grin at each other across the ice, or is this a point of national pride?

Sean Davies has mixed feelings playing against his SHL teammates in the IIHF. On the one hand, he loves playing with his mates. Their his friends, and playing hockey with friends is what it's all about. On the other hand, it's a competition. While part of him enjoys playing with his friends, he's also out there giving it all for his country every game, and if that means he's got to put a shoulder through one of his teammates so be it. He's not pulling any punches for friends here, even if it is fun seeing them. Worst is postgame if it was an elimination game. If he's on the winning side, he finds his joy tempered with some compassion for his teammates on the other side. Conversely, if he's on the losing side he struggles to feel happy for his friends moving on. Ultimately, its a bit of a complicated situation for him to deal with, but at the end of the day he plays to win. If he can enjoy some cheeky banter with his mates while doing so great. If not, then tough luck because he's going all out. 

Looks like [TEAM] won the cup! (Sorry, Micool.) What was your favorite part of the series? Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to have a better chance?

So Buffalo are your new SHL Champions, winning four straight games after dropping the first two to take the series in six games. Winnipeg has to feel pretty hard done by this result, being one of the most dominant teams in the SHL in recent season, making it to 3 straight finals and losing all of them. It's hard not to feel a little bad for there bad fortune, but kudos to the Buffalo squad for coming on strong the past couple years and winning the cup as underdogs. Hard to say what Winnipeg could have done different as they seemed to play pretty well. Bottom line, Buffalo is good, and Casey Fantobens is a wall in goal.

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2023, 02:27 AM by taterswc. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max
Tater
3/8
5. Written, 3 TPE, Blood on the Ice (150 words min)
Well here we are again. The Shining god bear makes it third run at being the most fearsome animal in all of the SHL. We know from last time a pack of wolves was too much for the god bear but this time could be different. This years challenger is a stampede of buffalo. We decided last time that a pack of wolves is 5 wolves. So for this I will assume a stamped of buffalo is also 5 buffalo. Not Jumanji levels of a stamped but I wouldn’t fight 5 buffalo, or a god bear. On paper the god bear looks better. The god bear is an offensive powerhouse. However the god bear lacks defense. The buffalo don’t strike hard but they let no hits or pucks through. The fight will be long. Probably 6 rounds. The god bear strikes hard in the early rounds but after the buffalo get their footing they easily out maneuver the god bear. It must be hard to be a god bear and get beat by mortals. One day the god bear will reign supreme. Just not today.

6/8

I was rooting for Buffalo here. they swept us and them winning it all would make that sting just a little bit less. Winnipeg was definitely scary going into this series. Their offense was killing it and they should have been the favorites. The problem was how do you get around Fantobens. Either buffalo’s goal isn’t regulation size or their goalie is too big. Either way getting points on them is no easy feat. That being said Winnipeg looked cracked their first 2 games. Fantoben had only let in 42 goals in the playoffs and in 2 games Winnipeg had 10. Buffalo closed ranks quickly though and recovered to hold out. Only letting 12 more goals in the remaining 4 games. Was a solid turnaround for buffalo.

8/8

[Image: qm0v49d.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2023, 02:19 AM by Shmurph. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

Chiefs

Code:
7. Graphic, 3 TPE, Connor Bed Hard
Show me your team's low point this year! Opposite of above: did you lose to a rival? Choke in the playoffs? Just have a reall bad game where everyone sucked?

[Image: 2gS49iq.jpg]

Code:

Another season, another playoffs, another year that the Aurora is losing in the finals against a new team. I know it should be the moment to celebrate Buffalo, but let's take a moment to appreciate the unlucky run Winnipeg went trough for the last three seasons. As much as we won't see 3 cups in a row for a long time, we probably won't see 3 cup loss in a row for a long time either.They have now became the Corey Perry of the SHL! In the end, they fought and both teams deserved the cup, but there can only be one winner and this season it was Buffalo.

[Image: uktCsuX.png]