Create Account

S71 All Star Week

1. Milestones

+2 TPE - Milestones

I'm so excited to see @WithTheMoose be recognized for their quiet and steady game as an all star player this season. Their work both on and off the ice has basically been one and the same. Quietly consistently and always underappreciated by those who aren't around to see the kind of time and effort he puts in day and in day out to make sure that this team is consistently connected and performing. There could be ample opportunities for him to take a back seat considering the types of leaders that are already in the locker room but he still chooses to compete with and against those voices, ensuring that his wisdom and expertise are part of the conversation. With that being said, he's also a fantastic teammate to have around and I know that our team is luckier to have brought in his character and talent. Long live the penguin.

The player I'm most excited to see is @Evil_AllBran. I'm sure this won't be the last one and it might be not exactly a sleeper pick considering the kind of success that he's experienced both on a personal and team level but considering how I have had the privilege to be able to witness his first days coming into the league as a rookie in juniors, there's something even more satisfying about it. Even from the start without having been selected by the Newfoundland Berserkers, I knew that this guy was going to be something special. Yet even when he made the team in Newfoundland, it still blew past anybody's expectations, even the management there who rated this 33rd overall pick in the junior draft as #1 on their board. And for him to now have the titles to his name and his team's name is just further emphasis of the sheer dedication this guy brings day in and day out. What a stud. I miss him all the time.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

8/8

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Shiny Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 topics related to the All Star Game to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
Code:
a. The goal scoring race this season ended in a tie between Evil Allbran and Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson, each potting a phenomenal 60 goals. They'll be lining up on opposide sides of the faceoff dot this all star game. Which of our league's best scorers would you rather have and why?

I would rather have Evil Allbran on my team because their scoring was unlucky this season.  Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson had a crazy high shooting percentage this season and was ruthless on the power play.  Either skater would be an incredible addition, but I think Allbran's performance is more likely to repeat in the long run.  Granted, this is two seasons in a row where Ekholm-Gunnarsson has put up this performance, and I'm just the old bench warmer.

Code:
b. Borje Samuelsson lead all the league's defensemen in points this season with an incredible statline of 22-59-81 in 66 games played. However, the best defensive defenseman in this all star game is Adelie de Pingu, who put up 16-40-56 in the same number of games played while still recording the best average defensive performance of anyone who made primetime. Which of these defensemen will have a better showing this weekend and why?

I think Borje Samuelsson will have a better showing this weekend because defense is optional at the all star game.  Adelie de Pengu might play a heady game with really strong defensive impact, but no one is going to care when Borje Samuelsson is ripping shot after shot from the point and getting the crowd amped up.  If Adelie de Pengu played a physical, crushing defense instead of taking shots like a wall, I think we could make a different case for this match up.

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, And Now, For the Main Event (150 words min.)
Tell me about your teammate who made the all star game! Who are they, what makes their game special, and why are they going to utterly dominate this event? (If more than one of your teammates made the game, pick one of those players other than yourself. If you are the only player on your team selected for the all star game so far, then and only then may you pump your own tires.)

My teammate who made the all star game is Pass Forfeit, a defensemen from S65.  I think this pick makes a lot of sense when you see they have 17 more points than the next defensemen.  They ran the offense on the power play and logged the most time on ice out of our whole team.  On top of that, they had the most take aways and almost the fewest give aways.  The only person with fewer give aways played almost half as much time.  While there are other options you could make the case for, I don't think you can make the case that Pass Forfeit doesn't deserve this all star nod. 

Consider as well that they are still on the upswing of their career, I think it's safe to say this will not be their last trip to the all star game.  A cornerstone piece of any franchise that I am lucky to play with in my twilight years.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Movable Spotlights (150 words min.)
Which player NOT on your own team are you most excited to see in action? Do you finally get the chance to cheer on a hated rival's star player as they represent your conference? Have you been tormented by a young player on a rebuilder that hasn't yet made their mark on teams out-of-conference?

I am most excited to see Dwight Knight, a forward from S54, because I like to see the older players in the spotlight.  They put up a monster performance on a regressed budget, I'd like to see a rating of points per TPE applied because they would probably be near the top.  It seems to come from a combination of raw volume and strong team support.  They only had an 11.5% shooting percentage, but that is good for 24 goals when you lay down 208 shots.  And those 31 assists all came from even strength.  This is not an opportunistic player that is spoonfed easy minutes to pad their stats.  This is a veteran putting in the work for their team, and this all star appearance is a just reward.

If they ever put together an all star game for the old farts in the league like myself, I would be honored to square up against Dwight Knight once he regresses out of these games.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]