Create Account

Parity. How to figure it out?

09-13-2023, 07:32 AMAce Wrote: It’s a competition. If you want to win, you should do better. Even if you’re the top team year after year, there’s no guarantee you win. The Aurora are a prime example - three straight Final appearances without a championship.

Or the Montreal Capitols

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

I don't see the need to complicate things. Parity has been on the rise since the switch and, while it can get tiring, we see teams being able to go through this cycle of building up from the foundations through to contending. Yes each team has different timescales and heights they reach, but almost all of them see some kind of success.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

so I guess I am sorry for...actually creating parity in the league by just not aimlessly dominating it for seasons upon seasons, but actually rebuilding and winding down after a successful push because I am not a literal God and can't just manifest 2K cores out of my left ear?

Manhattan Rage | General Manager
[Image: sig-hlemyzd.png]
thanks Sulovilen for the sig!
D | Great Falls Grizzlies | Player Page | Update Page

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
[Image: image.png]

09-13-2023, 01:31 PMCitizen of Adraa Wrote: so I guess I am sorry for...actually creating parity in the league by just not aimlessly dominating it for seasons upon seasons, but actually rebuilding and winding down after a successful push because I am not a literal God and can't just manifest 2K cores out of my left ear?
how dare we launch the nukes after a mass exodus in one offseason with the cupboards bare

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Personally I support the idea we should send 4th liners to other teams idk about everyone else

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

09-13-2023, 10:05 AMgolden_apricot Wrote: This is gross. Bring back the Hamilton glory days.

On god

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

09-13-2023, 03:45 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: On god

fr fr

[Image: UCTqPUg.png]

I personally don't believe an enforced parity such as moving players regardless of where they want to go is the answer to the problem. perfection sounds good in theory but enforced perfect balance in reality is not fun or exciting imo. i feel like the knowledge that we have 10 unique winners in the last 11 seasons speaks volumes to how good of a spot the league is in, in that regard.

Rebuilds are gonna take 5+ seasons as long as how progression is the way it is.  This was my 6th season (5 SHL eligible seasons) and I’ve just now progressed to the point of not being a liability.

[Image: 1wgIGr9.png]
[Image: MEAGHER.png]
Credit Maxy and Merica for sigs

09-13-2023, 03:45 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: On god

no cap

Thank you, st4rface, for your article. I must admit that I do not agree with some of your ideas, but they have sparked a great discussion.

I agree with hhh81 here: the SHL is a game of windows of opportunity, that cycle of development, maturity, and decline. Toronto decided a few seasons ago to reset their cycle and drafted a very promising pool of prospects in S70 and S72. You, hockeyfan, carpy... Toronto will be fun to watch in a few years, with many great community members on that team. It took some time for Manhattan to do the same, but it was fun to see Canadice and Citizen of Adraa make a lot of picks in the last draft, as that team deserves to be more competitive in the long term.

Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. Baltimore faced some challenges with unsuccessful drafts, but I think trips has done an amazing job lately, and the Platoon will be exciting to watch grow in the next seasons. Some teams at their peak successfully fight against their decline; for example, Winnipeg made some interesting moves to keep a highly competitive core active this off-season, but they will eventually face regression. They have three prospects, while Tampa Bay boasts eleven.

Parity is something that should be analyzed in the long run. Your statistics have made it clear that the cycle might be too long. I believe that any rebuild requires a strong prospect pool and successful drafts, so perhaps the solution could lie there: in pick redistribution. Maybe some minor incentives could be introduced to assist struggling teams - such as an additional pick at the end of the second round for teams that manage to stay below a relatively low soft cap (as salary is related to TPE), or a penalty in the form of a forfeited pick for teams that exceed the soft cap. I must admit that I am not entirely sold on this idea, as it would require a thorough analysis of its impact, but it could be worth analyzing in my humble opinion.

However, it would run counter to your vision of parity: the decline would become more challenging for good teams, and the rebuild would be easier for struggling teams, potentially deepening the divide between them.

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!