Create Account

McCarthy Talks Third SHL Season, Ireland and a New Linemate

For Jack McCarthy, it feels like ages ago when he sat and patiently waited for his name to be called by an SHL franchise. Fast forward to the present day, and Jack McCarthy now prepares for his third season in the SHL, while also participating in the IIHF tournament as a member of Team Ireland. Today, we were able to catch up with the Texas defenseman to talk about his upcoming season with the Renegades and how he has prepared this off-season. We'll also talk with him about how the current IIHF tournament has been for him and Team Ireland, as well as some line changes in Texas.

Q: Jack, thanks for taking some time to talk with us today. I know before we started this interview, you had mentioned mentioned that it felt like just yesterday we were sitting in this same room talking about your reaction to being selected in the S69 SHL draft by the Texas Renegades. Now, we sit here talking about your third season in Texas. Safe to say it's a different feeling this time around?

JM: You could say that! I remember the last time we spoke, I was still on cloud 9 thinking about what it meant to be a member of the Texas Renegades. Now, I can sit here and actually talk about what it has been like. I am happy to share that it really has been everything I had hoped it would be. It really is hard to believe I will be entering my third season, or "junior" season as I like to call it if we are thinking of it in high school/college terms!

Q: Around the time you were drafted, it was pretty clear that the Texas organization had their focus on more of a rebuild, and draft capital was key. With your draft class and some of the classes around yours, it seems to have led to a true competing era in Texas, with a couple of recent playoff births. How is the current vibe in the Texas locker room.

JM: I think I speak for my teammates when I say that we have been extremely happy with our regular season performance. To go from a team with no expectations to being a true top team in the Western Conference, it feels really good. However, what is also clear for me and my teammates is that we have yet to find that playoff success, despite some nice regular season finishes. What I have learned early on in my SHL career is that history will remember the cup champion teams, not the teams who only had a good regular season. All that being said, the vibes in Texas are fantastic. We are all extremely confident in our individual abilities, and we know that it will all come together on the ice, and in the playoffs, very soon.

Q: It seems that your organization's management is ready to go for that cup. Last season, Texas brought in center Videl Valor who finished 2nd on the team with 79 points. This off-season, Texas traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for forward Ty Murphy; who last season on Buffalo matched Valor's point total with 79 points. How do you and the group of Renegades who have been with the team for several seasons look at these moves?

JM: Honestly, it is nothing but excitement for us. Valor was an awesome addition to the team last season, as evident by the offensive boost he gave us. Ty Murphy is someone I have watched since my junior days, and as anyone can tell you, he has been one of the best and most reliable forward in the SHL in recent history. These are massive boosts to our already talented forward core, and I can't wait to see what the new guys are able to do for us in Texas.

Q: Speaking of acquisitions, it was just announced that Texas signed free agent defenseman Alexander Minaj. I understand that Minaj was actually a teammate of yours in Ireland when you and the Irish won the gold medal in the Season 71 IIHF tournament. What are your initial thoughts on the signing?

JM: I got to know Minaj a bit during that IIHF run. Anytime we can bring in a familiar face, and in particular someone who I was able to capture a gold medal with, it is a great feeling. Just knowing that we were both playing together when our team won a championship, it gives me the feeling that we can do the same in Texas. It is not everyday that an SHL team is able to acquire a young free agent like Minaj is, so I am extremely happy with the signing and to get the chance to play with him again.

Q: Some early reports suggest that you and Minaj may not only share a locker room together, but that the two of you might actually be paired on the blue line together. Assuming that is the case, what do you think Minaj brings to the ice that compliments your style of play, and what do you bring that will compliment his game?

JM: In early conversations with the coach, it certainly does sound like me and Minaj will in fact form the Irish blue line for Texas this season. I am really excited about this, and to get to be paired with a player of his caliber as well as someone I know fairly well is a great feeling. One thing I can tell you right off the bat is that Minaj is a far better offensive defenseman than I am. So, I am really excited to be paired with someone who has such a natural ability to get open, as well as find our open forwards. I think that will allow me to feel more comfortable with or without the puck in our offensive zone. I do hope that I can compliment Minaj's game by being someone who can takeaway the puck as well as sacrifice the body to block shots. I really do feel that Minaj's offensive ability combined with my two-way style of play will lead to a lot of stops, and a lot of breakouts for our forwards.

Q: We were talking about your gold medal run with Ireland in Season 71, and now you are back in the tournament with Ireland for another chance at a medal in Season 73. You and the Irish are off to a hot start with a round robin record of 5-0-0 at the time of this interview. What has led to this fast start for Team Ireland?

JM: I really do love the international tournament, and it's a great honor to be playing for Ireland. First and foremost, I think a big reason for our early success in this tournament is that we now know what it takes to win gold as a group. Sure, some members have changed, but our core is still there from the Season 71 run, and we can play in more of a care-free way because we know we have that gold in our back pocket. Of course, we are not satisfied with just one. So far in this tournament, we are firing on all cylinders. Our offense has been lighting it up, and I am reminded of how talented those guys are on a nightly basis. We have some extremely talented defenders in front of me as well, and they are so good on both ends of the ice. It also helps that our goaltending has been playing very well. You put that all together, and I think that is why we are off to this start.

Q: Any nation you see as your biggest competition to get that gold medal back?

JM: It is a really tough field this season. You have Finland off to a similar start, and can never count out Canada. But if I had to pick one team to watch out for, it would be the defending champions in Germany. This is a really solid group all around. And, like us, they have that gold taste in their mouth that they want again. It would not surprise me in the slightest to see our two nations battle it out throughout this tournament.

Q: Going back to your third SHL season...how have you prepared differently this season compared to past seasons?

JM: Now that I have those initial "nervous" seasons out of the way, I really feel I can just be myself going into this third season, and focus on playing the game that has got me here. While some things remained the same in my preparation, I spent more time in the weight room this off season. I have learned that in the SHL, you have to be physically strong to survive. Because of that, I really have put an added focus on my training to be in top condition to stay on the ice longer and make those plays late in the game. I am hoping that some added strength can contribute to my ability to score late in games, while also being able to separate the puck carrier from the puck.

Q: Thanks for your time today Jack, and best of luck int he upcoming season!

JM: Always a pleasure, looking forward to next time!

[Image: 51LSJnR.png]

Good article!

We got Ty Murphy, but also Petr Svoboda who got 113 points last season so yeah our forwards group is in good shape!

Happy to have been able to get you a better defensive partner, that way we can get you more ice time at 5vs5 and finally see what your player can really bring.

Renegades

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]