Create Account

S74 State of the Sim

As long as elimination games are live, maybe potential playoff-clinching games from the regular season as well.

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

12-03-2023, 02:56 AM_Blitz_ Wrote: Right now, we plan to keep one of the playoff formats we've been using, the 2 Sim or Intermission formats. There was an idea put forward to quick sim up to elimination games in the playoffs, but it was agreed that playoff games should be live as much as possible.
sweeeet, good to hear .-.

Can we change the name of the league to Quick Simulation Hockey League?

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

12-03-2023, 03:19 AMAmidships Wrote: Agreed. I hope the new processes come about sooner rather than later; we're talking about two (or more) months of streams with just stat boxes (excluding playoffs?).

What was so wrong with the old system that it necessitates a rollback of the highlights version while the new process is determined? Honest question, not trying to be rude.

One of the things that I've been trying to do is get everybody on the same procedure. There's a lot of idiosyncrasies in the streams right now, and some of it has lead to process errors. It's also a concern that we'd like to have everybody on the same page when we start shuffling schedules around and trying out different stuff.

The whole problem with FHM live views is that the highlight modes are glitchy. It shows a lot of goals repeatedly or focuses on the same icing call or what-have-you. The only two views that don't have these issues are Goals Only (which the goalies rightfully hated) and Full Game View. Full Game View is great; it feels like a hockey game, and leaves a great entry point for voice-over commentary. The issue is that the games are so long that it affects the numbers that go into setting our schedule. Couple it with every sim problem you can think of from this year, and all of the other pieces of the league that stand to be affected, and it was heavily advised that we reset and regroup before throwing the switch.

As a personal aside, it's my job as Sim Head, and I take full responsibility for how it's been drawn out. Back in January, I expected to be at this point by June. Frankly, the failure to meet that expectation has me pissed off and disappointed. It's been a busy and traumatic year, and it's still going on theme. It may take a while, but we will get there.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

I think quick-simming most days is probably the best way to go. However, I do feel a great way to get a best of both worlds scenario, is to have designated 1 or 2 nights where 2-3 games would be streamed with play-by-play and color commentary. Like a hockey night in Canada kind of thing. I know it's a dream but that would be pretty cool if it could pan out!

Also for those who suggested not streaming at all, the reason the league started doing streamed sims was to avoid questions of rigging or cheating. There's a record of the games, the results are what we see, no backdoor shenanigans. What it's evolved into now is more than what anyone could have envisioned back then, so kudos to all who have contributed to creating a very unique sim league streaming experience!

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

Good changes. No secret that the product was lacking. Whether due to inconsistant stream times, long sims due to fhm8 sucks at 3D except for full games.

Happy to see a path forward to improve the product. Even if we have to take a step back to do so, in order to prepare to take a larger one

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023, 04:21 PM by sve7en. Edited 3 times in total.)

Echoing what amid and r0tz said, this is rough for regular season interest and new player retention. I wish there was a way to get Friday sims and/or Monday (to sync with "Primetime pts") to be live simmed. I get synchronizing the process, but even quick sims have some gaps in consistiency between simmers so I'm not sure why 2d sims have to die. I'd much rather explain the idiosyncrasies of FHM sims to rookies than have all quick sims with the end goal of commentated sims. 

Honestly on that note, I'm shocked. I've ran one of two consistent live podcasts on the site and ran live drafts for over 2 calendar years - unless we plan on mega compensation for the casters I don't expect the commentary to be consistently good, well researched, and up to the imagined level that people voting for it expect, and I can't see many people able to do it. I'm suprised that was such a highly demanded feature. 

Also come onnnn, I just told them 2d sims were coming lol

[Image: Screenshot_2023-12-03-07-26-32-65_572064...1c126e74f&]

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

I'm torn, but overall think this is a positive, at least in terms of the fact that we are having these conversations. If I'm being honest, I have almost zero fun watching other teams play live sim games - they take forever and I just want to watch Detroit. Then again, maybe I would have more fun if there were commentators (and agree with 7 this may be difficult to implement). Also whether it was randomness or just an excess of sim issues last season, I don't think I saw Detroit live sim more than 3 regular season games. We never even saw our new home ice until playoffs!

And let's be real, FHM live sim is so broken. Last season I saw a new glitch where it replayed the same play four times. I think that's a record.

We'll keep making steps forward as a league and community; I'm not worried. For whatever constructive criticism arises out of this, I believe we can make a better product to best serve everyone.

[Image: UCTqPUg.png]

If the goal is consistency then I am all for it! I'm looking forward to the sim teams plans and what they are hoping to implement in the future! Hopefully this holiday season (Yes I mean hockey season during the holidays) is a good time for the team to get all the basics ironed before they can start bringing in more of what everyone wants to see!

Looking forward to an excellent season and thank you sim team for being open and honest with us throughout the changes!

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]

Yes, I enjoyed watching live sims. This is something I have always enjoyed watching even if it was not just Carolina playing. so that being said, it is sad to not have them for myself and especially new users because it is a fun experience being new and seeing your player go go go while live.
BUT, ultimately the sim team has to do what is best for them at this time. And if switching the way they do things for the season while they figure out a better plan is best for them, then we should all respect that and just hope for better changes to come in the following season.

It is no shock that the sim team gets a ton of hate and I am in full support of whatever changes may come that will not only eliminate the hate they get but also better the league as a whole

Thanks for all yall do

<333

[Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60] [Image: kahri.gif][Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60]

The general thought here is that we need to take a step back before we can take three steps forward.

We need a reset in order to address the biggest complaints about the sims. Its impossible to add the fun things we want to do on top of the streams if we can't get them to work properly in the first place.

Obviously as many of you mentioned, this definitely is not ideal but its unfortunately necessary. Viewership is down, we are hearing more negatives than positives and we want to take this time to work on things as best we can and gain that interest back when we can move back to our previous normal.

As with anything surrounding the SHL, if you have ways to help the team, ideas, please feel free to reach out to someone whether it be Blitz, Myself, any HO member.

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023, 10:57 AM by spidey. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think this is a great decision on all front since coming back I have seen a ton of complaints in every locker room I have been in about the live sim taking to long, boring, glitchy...ect.  I rarely see more than 6 people watching a sim and most who miss the live sim are just jumping to see end scores as it is.  Or they are waiting for an update in their team's locker room.

Taking time to do a full reset is a great idea. I don't at this time have any suggestions on how to improve the experience but if I think of any I will reach out.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

12-03-2023, 03:35 AMMutedfaith Wrote: Might as well stop streaming at all, if youre not going to show any game action, but only a less convenient version of the index.
This is the most accurate response so far. The only reason to stream at this point is to catch mistakes in real time (GK swap issue with GFG last season) if it's just gonna be click, scroll, click. During the playoffs I was pumped everytime I heard Raining Tacos or Boooooooo You Suck. Sure, I may not watch every sim, but when I do, it ends up on the TV so I can actually tell who's skating.

[Image: photostudio-1710898490476.jpg]

I think after everything said here - I'm fine with these changes for a season or two.

Keeping the playoffs as the live sims is perfect - if that went to quick sims we'd have cause for concern.

I'm thankful for the openness and honesty from the Simmers end, that is greatly appreciated.

Live sims are fun but seeing your team get the score run up against you on repeat because the game decided to replay their goal again for no reason, or that absolutely cursed "post goal pileup" animation that I hate with every fiber of my being.

Only thing is I'd rather not see live commentary at any point - but that's a different argument for another thread.

I'm excited to see what changes come from this, I'll miss the live sims for now but if it's important to improve the overall health and consistency of the sim team I'm all for it.

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023, 11:55 AM by Fluw. Edited 2 times in total.)

12-03-2023, 11:47 AMPapaSorin Wrote: This is the most accurate response so far. The only reason to stream at this point is to catch mistakes in real time (GK swap issue with GFG last season) if it's just gonna be click, scroll, click. During the playoffs I was pumped everytime I heard Raining Tacos or Boooooooo You Suck. Sure, I may not watch every sim, but when I do, it ends up on the TV so I can actually tell who's skating.

Like mentioned above streaming the sim prevents people from rigging the sim. Unfortunately, people can't be trusted to do the right thing. This is a temporary thing, live sims have been inconsistent, the amount of live sims a team gets has been inconsistent, new ice and goal horns weren't making it in for seasons for the live sim experience. So give the sim team a season to figure things out to improve the viewing experience. Playoffs are still live sims, which is what most people care about anyways when it comes to viewer count.

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]