Create Account

Ty Murphy, Future Hall of Very Good? (Farewell SHL)
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2024, 01:54 PM by Pickle Juice. Edited 1 time in total.)

Before I step away from the SHL for a while (we'll get to that at the end), I want to take a look at the career of Ty Murphy and his case for the Hall of Very Good.  Will he make it?  Let me know in the replies!  Let's break down his career up to this point:

Season 59
Ty was picked up after the draft as a free agent by the Falcons before season 59.  He got limited playing time on a strong roster in his first season as the Falcons ended season 59 fourth in the SMJHL 87 points.  Murphy was able to contribute 3 goals and 11 assists in 66 games played during his rookie season, but remained pointless through the Falcon’s 5 playoff games. 

SHL Draft
Going into the S60 draft, expectations were not high for Ty Murphy.  He was over 100 TPE behind his class leader and had not produced very well in his rookie season on Detroit.  Murphy was scouted by several teams leading up to the draft but ended up being selected 15th overall by the Hamilton Steelhawks. 

Season 60
Ty returned to the Falcons for his sophomore season.  Detroit experienced a major departure of many key players during the offseason between seasons 59 and 60, as was evident in their record at the end of the year.  Detroit finished the season with a record of 30-32-4 and 64 points.  Ty finished the season with 9 goals and 33 assists, 42 points in 66 games on a team with a .485 win percentage.  This was good enough to be the team’s second most point productive player, surpassed only by the legendary Kermit Murphy.  Ty also boasted an incredible 31 takeaways to his 17 giveaways for the season.  This was the beginning of a very solid defensive forward tenure throughout the remained of his SMJHL career. 
Murphy also won gold with the British Isles team in the WJC tournament, helping the team with his 6 points throughout their 12 games. 

Season 61
In what would turn out to be Ty Murphy’s final season, Detroit continued to fall into their rebuild.  The team finished the season at 17-42-7, only 41 points through 66 games.  Ty led the team with 47 points through his 17 goals and 30 assists.  Despite the Falcons defensive struggles, Ty again produced an impressive takeaway/giveaway differential with 43 takeaways and 25 giveaways.  He was 4th overall in the league for total takeaways, and the only forward in the top 5.  This was enough to get Murphy nominated for SMJHL Defensive Forward of the Year.  This is how the voting stacked up:

Eric Tokke, COL: 14G 34A +28 28GA 30TA
Jay Cue, MET: 10G 33A -3 24GA 30TA
Ty Murphy, DET: 17G 30A -23 25GA 43TA

I’m still salty about losing this award.  Ty Murphy came in 3rd (??) in total voting behind the winner, Tokke, and the runner up, Cue.  Murphy had 13 more takeaways and less giveaways than both other players while producing around the same number of points, on the WORST team in the league that season.  How does he come in last? 

SMJHL Totals:
198GP 29G 74A 103P -14 56 GA 83TA
Team Awards: None
Individual Awards: None

Season 62
Season 61 would end up being Murphy’s last season in the SMJHL as Hamilton called him up early.  Ty had a typical rookie season with limited playing time, especially since Hamilton was able to field a strong roster.  Murphy was able to put up 7 goals and 26 assists in the regular season.  Throughout the 22 playoff games Hamilton appeared in, Murphy was able to contribute 1 goal and 9 assists.

Season 63
WOOOOO HAMILTON ARE THE FUCKIN CHAMPS BABY LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOO!  Murphy was able to score one or two clutch goals in the playoffs to help the team win the whole thing baby.  Hamilton went 50-13-3 in the regular seasons with Murphy posting 16 goals and 22 assists.  Throughout the 25 playoff games Hamilton appeared in, Murphy was able to score 5 goals and 10 assists.  Outside of his clutch goal in the playoffs, Murphy was only an average performer for the Steelhawks.  Still got the ring though.

Season 64
In the offseason between S63 and S64, Murphy was traded to the Toronto North Stars.  This was the beginning of his tenure in Toronto, one that would last 4 seasons.  Toronto was in the ending stages of their rebuild at the time, finishing season 64 at 19-43-4.  Murphy was the team’s top point producer with 13 goals and 45 assists. 

Season 65
This was Murphy’s first season where he moved to right wing rather than playing center.  This move would be permanent in Murphy’s career with overall good results.  Toronto fared much better, posting a record of 38-23-5.  Murphy was getting used to his new position as he struggled to improve from his previous season’s production.  He contributed 13 goals and 30 assists while playing second line minutes.  Despite playing well during the regular season, Toronto struggled tremendously in the playoffs.  Murphy offered no help at all, posting only 1 point in the 6 games that he played.

Season 66
Season 66 was when Murphy started to find his way in the SHL.  Toronto had another great season going 38-26-2.  Murphy earned a spot on the top line with his team leading 87 points through 31 goals and 56 assists.  Toronto faired slightly better in the playoffs this season, competing in 10 games where Murphy scored 2 goals and 8 assists.  Murphy also led his team with 21 hits throughout the playoffs.

Season 67
Toronto continued to improve as they went 47-16-3 in S67.  This put them at 2nd overall in the standings that season.  Murphy broke over 100 points for the first time in his career with 37 goals and 64 assists.  He also kept up with the physical part of his game, producing 145 hits.  Murphy was ranked 4th in assists and 5th in total points amongst the entire SHL.  Toronto unfortunately did not improve from their previous season’s playoff performance.  Murphy was a point per game player through Toronto’s 11 games with 2 goals and 9 assists.

Season 68
Toronto’s winning window continued as they went 46-16-4, good enough for 4th in the league.  Murphy was the top point producer on the team with 99 points through his 33 goals and 66 assists.  Murphy was the league leader in assists, 8th overall in total points, and 10th overall in powerplay goals with 12.  Toronto’s playoff struggles continued as Murphy scored 6 goals and 6 assists throughout 11 games played, second overall on his team.  Toronto was unable to break through the second round. 

Season 69
Murphy was traded to Seattle before the beginning of S69.  Seattle was looking to contend for the Cup as they had an incredible regular season going 50-13-3, second overall in the league.  Throughout 66 games Murphy had 35 goals and 58 assists totaling to 93 points.  Murphy ended the season at 8th overall in points.  Seattle made a deep playoff run but was ultimately unable to get it done.  Throughout 16 games Murphy scored 5 goals and 9 assists. 

Season 70
Seattle continued their winning ways going 46-14-6, finishing 3rd overall in the league.  Murphy put up 29 goals and 65 assists totaling 94 points.  This was good enough to put Murphy at 7th overall for total assists in the SHL at the end of the season.  Seattle regressed in their playoff performance, only appearing in 13 games where Murphy posted 6 goals and 10 assists.  Muphy was unfortunately unable to get it done in Seattle, big sad :(. 

Season 71
WOOOO ANOTHER RING BABY LETS GOOOOOO!!  Murphy was dealt to Buffalo in the offseason, who was another team looking to contend.  Buffalo finished the season at 45-17-4 placing 4th overall in the SHL.  Murphy score 37 goals and posted 50 assists for 87 total points.  He also accrued an impressive 176 hits.  Murphy wasn’t able to place in the top 10 for points or assists this season but was tied for 3rd overall in hits.  Buffalo went on a hell of a run in the playoffs where Murphy scored 7 goals and 14 assists through 21 games on his way to his second Challenge Cup championship. 
Murphy was able to win the IIHF Gold Medal with Ireland as well, leading the entire tournament in assists and finishing second in overall points with 12 assists and 18 points through 12 games. 

Season 72
Buffalo has yet another great year going 43-21-2, placing 7th overall.  This ended up being Murphy’s second season where her posted over 100 points.  Murphy scored 37 goals and 64 assists and had a physical season with 183 hits.  Murphy was 6th overall in assists and 10th overall in points while being the league leader in hits.  Buffalo ended the season with a disappointing first round exit, but sometimes that’s the way she goes.  Murphy did fuck all to help them too, with 2 points in 5 games played.  Murphy finished the season with over 100 points while leading the league in hits.

Season 73
Buffalo again strived to compete in their final season with Murphy on the roster.  They went 47-15-4 and finished 4th overall in the SHL.  Murphy scored 35 goals and 44 assists alongside 158 hits.  This was good enough to place Murphy at 7th overall in hits among the rest of the SHL during the regular season.  Buffalo again struggled in the playoffs with Murphy only contributing 4 points in 6 games. 

Season 74
As Murphy’s career begins to wind down, why not join yet another team.  Murphy was a new member of the Texas Renegades where he slivered by at a point per game pace, scoring 23 goals and 43 assists.  Texas went 41-20-5 through the regular season finishing 6th overall in the SHL.  As the playoffs continue, Murphy looks to obtain his third Challenge Cup victory. 

So how does Ty Murphy’s case for the Hall of Very Good stack up thus far in his career?  Let’s take a look. 

Career Regular Season Totals: 858GP 346G 633A 979P 1631H
Career Playoff Totals: 155GP 37G 82A 119P 292H

Top 10 Seasons
Assists: 67, 68, 70
Powerplay Goals: 68
Hits: 71, 72, 73

League Leader Seasons:
Assists: 68
Hits: 72

100 Point Seasons: 67, 72

Individual Award Nominations: 0

Team Awards:
Season 63 Challenge Cup Champion, Season 71 Challenge Cup Champion
IIHF Season 71 Gold Medal Champion

Triple Gold Club Member

So let me conclude by saying this isn’t necessarily a retirement post, but it is a sort of a see you later post as I plan to go IA.  I find myself doing SHL tasks as a chore rather than having fun with them now, so I think it is time for a break.  I was fortunate enough to have a great career with Ty Murphy.  I met several awesome people on several different teams, as you can see.  I also got the job as Co-GM of the Detroit Falcons where alongside @Vaxlare we were able to win the S68 Four Star Cup (in reality, I literally didn’t do anything but talk to people in the LR as Vax did all of our strategies and line building). 

This is the beat part of the post where I have to acknowledge people.  Everyone in the Detroit locker room over the past 15 seasons has been awesome and there are way too many of you to tag.  If I forgot you, I'm sorry and I still love you.  @Rangerjase @Fantobens @Pingy Pingu @CapnCooper @Halkohol @roastpuff, you all have been awesome and I have loved sharing a locker room with you for all this time.  Anton, I honestly don't remember your site tag here but obviously you're included.

@Vaxlare, @Hallsy, @Rotti, @Tomen, @Ragnar, @Frenchie, thanks for the rings and medals, fellas.

To Toronto and Seattle, I'm sorry we couldn't get it done.  I enjoyed my time on both of your teams immensely and I was super disappointed that Murphy underperformed in his years during our playoff runs together. 

I have enjoyed my time participating in the SHL and wish I could find more time in my life to continue to do so.  The new portal is fucking rad and makes the whole thing a lot more cohesive.  I'm sure I'll recreate at some point, but probably not for a long time.  Until then, peace!

[Image: murphy2.png]
[Image: NI78UUy.png?width=400&height=267]
[Image: Skree.gif]

Congrats on a great career!

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Skree <3

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

My king

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

Congrats on a great career! Been great having you in Texas this season. Hoping we can close out your career with a cup win Renegades

[Image: 51LSJnR.png]

Snubbed!

Go find some things you enjoy and we will be here anxiously awaiting your return.

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

<3 To an amazing human! Take care <3

[Image: Wally.png]

I shall patiently await your return

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Love you, legend

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Was a lot of fun watching Ty and Jimmy tear it up together! Stars

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

Thanks for coming with us this season! Hope we can finish this season on a positive note and you can win the last game of the season!

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

S60 Raise Up

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

Pickles, you were an absolute joy on the Birds and I can't wait to see that bird on the HOF banner in a couple seasons for you!

[Image: rotti.gif]

_/

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

@Pickle Juice sorry to see you leave. Hoping it's not actually a long time before you're back but looking forward to it regardless brother

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]