Create Account

SHL Trade Market
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2024, 04:17 PM by Grum. Edited 1 time in total.)

yo BUF retained 2m on the McZ trade? wild

02-01-2024, 04:16 PMGrum Wrote: yo BUF retained 2m on the McZ trade? wild
mustve been why the price was so high. either that or his big BALLS

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

02-01-2024, 04:24 PMtrella Wrote: mustve been why the price was so high. either that or his big BALLS
It's both imo

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

gms elsewhere just undervalue their players smh

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

cant really compare trade markets across leagues that play different sports imo

[Image: NYR73.gif]
sigs from @sulovilen @_Blitz_ @Ragnar and @enigmatic

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png] [Image: cEbgUph.png]

02-01-2024, 03:46 PMsve7en Wrote: Hi scud, since you seem confused on some of these ideas:

Players who have max earned for X seasons are worth a lot, there's no way to get that without a fairly long incubation process.

Compounded with that, often times teams are buying these players after developing many of their own. The value of players bought by these teams is high because they're looking to contend immediately. There's supply and demand in play here.

A lot (not all, but many buying teams) 1st round picks are not worth a lot when we have 20 teams and they're trying to win cups. Multiple picks might be needed to reach a reasonable return.

Sometimes users are valuable to a GM for their personality, increasing the price demanded.

The SHL is a slower league relative to what you're used to, and the time scale increases price both due to the player investment and the amount of value locker room presences bring.
thank you. this was more so the explanation I was looking for when posting this, as my GM brain only works in one league. every trade here feels like a blockbuster and i've never comprehended it, but this offers a somewhat mathematical lens I can work with.

[Image: sobchak.png]

Reason #1 I’m not a gm anywhere else.

[Image: Wally.png]

02-01-2024, 06:15 PMWally Wrote: Reason #1 I’m not a gm anywhere else.
how about an F1 owner, i miss the rivalry

[Image: sobchak.png]

02-01-2024, 03:30 PMscudmuffin19 Wrote: wonderful discussion; thank you for your insightful input, go be a cunt somewhere else if you arent gonna contribute

also; who fucked up the market then?

First, you have to take into account the type of player and TPE that it takes in this league to be top-notch contributor in the sim. Then, after realizing what that takes, look at how many of those high-TPE players exist. I'll give you a hint, there aren't many. Then, of those players that do exist, how often do they become available? I can give you a hint: very fucking rarely are they available. Then, after noticing how many of those players exist and how often do they become available, one has to take into account how easy it is to draft those players. Quantity of draft picks obviously gives you more chances to succeed, but as someone who has actually looked into this for certain reasons, it is not even easy to draft high-TPE players with high picks.

For a separate project not so long ago, I tracked 13 draft classes: 9 non-reddit and 4 reddit. 129 top-10 draft picks were made in those seasons (one pick was forfeited).

Of the 9 non-reddit classes, here's the breakdown: 89 picks, 65 players (73%) made it over 1000 TPE, 53 (59.5%) made it over 1500 TPE, and 29 (32.6%) made it over 2000 TPE.
Of the 4 reddit classes, here's the breakdown: 40 picks, 35 players (87.5%) made it over 1000 TPE, 29 (72.5%) made it over 1500 TPE, and 22 (55%) made it over 2000 TPE.
Combined, here's the breakdown: 129 picks, 100 players (77.5%) made it over 1000 TPE, 82 (63.5%) made it over 1500 TPE, and 51 (39.5%) made it over 2000 TPE.

Those are just from the top-10 picks, by the way, this isn't even counting the rest of the first round.

I'm not out here sayig that every trade involving multiple firsts is a super equal deal in both directions, but the market in the SHL is the way that it is due to a number of different factors.

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

02-01-2024, 03:43 PMtrella Wrote: you should see the trades I made during my tenure as tbb gm. you'd faint
the biggest one never even happened. pretty sure it was like 3 1sts+ for @juke
the one for luke was 3 2nds and that was intended to be a retained contract. 

@scudmuffin19

another big factor in why so many draft picks are used in the shl compared to other leagues is the length of a career and the number of positions on the team. We are limited to 17 roster spots, one being a back-up goalie.  When a team feels they have about 12-14 (arbitrary number) players ready to make a push for a cup they start to sell the draft capital they can no longer use, additionally there was/is a big reliance on retained salary for the salary cap to make top end rosters work. Retained salaries have gotten a lot less important than what it use to be with the introduction of goalie relief.

lots of people are right in here but also: one 2k player also has an outsized impact on the game when you're only running three lines and one goalie with injuries disabled. picking up a max earner at or near their prime is zero risk.

02-01-2024, 03:32 PMBy-Tor Wrote: I mean, if it's a slam dunk player, a quick look at past drafts show most late round 1sts never pan out. Its security vs a roll of the dice.
This is early 2nd round slander

[Image: 1wgIGr9.png]
[Image: MEAGHER.png]
Credit Maxy and Merica for sigs

THATS where that punishment came from...

[Image: photostudio-1710898490476.jpg]