Create Account

SHL75: #42: Alexis Metzler

Alexis Metzler
@Avakael

Selected 13th overall in the S31 draft by the Portland Admirals, Alexis Metzler lands at #42 on this list. He was traded exactly 1 week after the draft to the Buffalo Stampede in exchange for Marc Leclerc, Isaac Kaiser, and a 2nd round pick. Leclerc and Kaiser had also just been drafted the week prior, at 39th and 41st overall respectively. Buffalo returned Metzler to the Detroit Falcons for just one season before calling him up permanently in Season 32.

Metzler fell short of a Jesster nomination, but he had a strong rookie season with 30+ points and 70+ blocked shots in limited deployment. Metzler followed a more typical development curve in the STHS era over the next 4 seasons, putting up similar offensive numbers while rounding out his physical game and gradually taking on more ice time. Following a change in management and the beginning of a rebuild in Buffalo, Metzler became the core piece on which the Stampede would build around.

Metzler would spend the next decade leading the Stampede defense on the 1st pairing while wearing the ‘C’ on his sweater. Alexis Metzler would take home the Stevens trophy in Season 39 and Season 42, with nominations in Season 43 and Season 44. He garnered 1st team All-SHL in Season 39, Season 42, and Season 44. In Season 48 he was named 2nd team All-SHL with a 3rd team selection in Season 43.

Let's highlight some of his best seasons.

Alexis’s first great season comes in S37. His first 40+ point season as a defenseman. Metzler scored 10 goals, 31 assists for 41 points. He was the 7th in points by a Defenseman, 7th for goals, and 8th for assists.

S39 was when Metzler won his first Stevens trophy for good reason. With 10 goals, 38 assists for 48 points. Metzler rounded it out with 85 hits and 83 shots blocked. Good for t-2nd most in points, 8th in shots blocked, 10th in goals, and 1st in assists for defenseman in the league.

S42 would be Metzler’s 2nd Stevens win. With 52 points, his first time over a point per game, as well as having a career high in booths goals(12) and assists(40). Metzler led all defenseman in points and assists. Was 5th in goals by a defenseman. With 169 hits and 68 shots blocked as well, Metzler was well deserved for his 2nd Stevens win.

S43 was a part of his peak seasons in the league. Scoring 10 goals, 34 assists for 44 points. He was nominated for the Scott Stevens, losing it for the first time in his career where he was nominated. His 44 points were good for 5th in the league in points by a defenseman. Only 6 behind the 1st. With 153 hits he led all defenseman in hits, and his 81 shots blocked was 9th best for a defenseman.

S44 would be the last time he would be a top 5 defenseman in the league. With 9 goals, 37 assists for 46 points. Metzler was tied for 3rd most points by a defenseman that season. He was 2nd in hits by a defenseman with 169, and with a respectable amount of shots blocked with 70. Good enough for another 1st All Star, and his final Scott Stevens nomination. After 13 seasons in the league, and regression becoming harder and harder, he could no longer be a top defenseman like he would. But those peak seasons showed why Metzler was on this list. And his non peak seasons were good to great  as well. The longevity + peak seasons is what carried him to 42nd on the list.

After Metzler had collected most of his hardware and his prime began to wane, the Stampede finally won their first Challenge Cup in Season 46 and another in Season 48 under his leadership. Following the second championship Metzler gradually faded into retirement, hanging up his skates as we ended the STHS era.

With 1050 games played, 154 goals, 543 assists for 697 points. Metlzer finished his career with 5th all time points for defensemen. Only behind players like Ben Dover, Ludwig Koch Schroder, Darian Scherbluk, and Alonzo Garbanzo. Even today, Metlzer is 6th all time in points by a defenseman. Even 20+ seasons later, only one player could overtake him in points. Well deserved to be on this list, and one of the best defenders in the S40’s.

300 words by @WannabeFinn
Rest words by me

[Image: 0yIkYuj.png]

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Nevermind found out how much of a scrub I was.

One neat fact- Metzler was the Captain of Buffalo for a full 15 seasons straight, until his retirement. I'm not sure what the record is vs other possibilities like Garbanzo and Dover, but that has to be close to the longest stretch.

Thanks for the shoutout! Surprised I've still only been passed once with the sim engines changing and there being more games in a season, but I hear regression means not many more 21+2J season careers.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

02-17-2024, 08:51 AMAvakael Wrote: Nevermind found out how much of a scrub I was.

One neat fact- Metzler was the Captain of Buffalo for a full 15 seasons straight, until his retirement. I'm not sure what the record is vs other possibilities like Garbanzo and Dover, but that has to be close to the longest stretch.

Thanks for the shoutout! Surprised I've still only been passed once with the sim engines changing and there being more games in a season, but I hear regression means not many more 21+2J season careers.

For defenseman mostly they are still scoring in that 40-70 point range now. So their scoring hasn’t been inflated enough to easily pass you guys.
Closest was Samuel Michaud with 679
Next closest active is Puddles O’Duck with 651. But with the close amount of games played
https://index.simulationhockey.com/shl/player/1701

@Z-Whiz

Worst trade ever. Lol hell of a player and user… Congrats Ava!

[Image: Wally.png]

Great player, great user. Too bad it was all for Buffalo, but you can't have everything

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

Cheers to Wally and Slappy. Someone's gotta do an all time best and worst trades one day.

02-17-2024, 09:49 AMluke Wrote: For defenseman mostly they are still scoring in that 40-70 point range now. So their scoring hasn’t been inflated enough to easily pass you guys.
Closest was Samuel Michaud with 679
Next closest active is Puddles O’Duck with 651. But with the close amount of games played
https://index.simulationhockey.com/shl/player/1701

@Z-Whiz
Who was the player to finally pass me? I hadn't heard about it until now. Will have to keep an eye on Puddles.

02-18-2024, 09:58 AMAvakael Wrote: Cheers to Wally and Slappy. Someone's gotta do an all time best and worst trades one day.

Who was the player to finally pass me? I hadn't heard about it until now. Will have to keep an eye on Puddles.

Rex Kirkby

02-18-2024, 10:14 AMluke Wrote: Rex Kirkby
BUF legend as well

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

02-18-2024, 11:28 AMTomen Wrote: BUF legend as well
I'll settle for a BUF member doing it.