Create Account

S75 Championship Week Due: Sunday, March 24th @ 11:59 PM PST

1. Verification word: Penny

2d. Just for fun, I'd like the fight between the wolves and the panthers to take place on the same ground as the original matchup: an ice rink. The wolves would have the initial advantage due to being able to withstand the cold temperatures, but as soon as the panthers form some sort of defensive structure? Game. Over.

6. Biased, but I think the answer to this is pretty obvious. The Quebec City Citadelles had yet another incredible regular season in the J, only for it to end in heartbreak in the playoffs. I'll be honest - I really thought it was gonna be the year. The offense was firing on all cylinders, special teams clamped, defense was defending, and the locker room was electric. Looked practically immortal through 66. And yet, there is a reason that the celebrated in Roman triumphs were made to be reminded of their mortality. It wasn't just the fact that they lost, it was the total dismantling of the team after being up 2 games to none. Worse yet, this was capped off by an absolute 11-2 dumpstering to send the Owls south for the winter. Still burns my ass a little bit...

14. The Four Star Cup Finals this year were worse off for not having the very attractive and cool Citadelles in it (not a homer by the way), but were a fun watch regardless! Three very interesting and close matchups bookended by two 7-2 shellackings (although to credit of the Berserkers, they started game 5 up 2-0!). I was rooting slightly more for the Raptors by virtue of "if it can't be us, you better go and win the whole thing now" principle but I would have been fine with how it went either way. Massive GGs to both teams and front offices! Hope to be there next year.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024, 12:09 AM by MCP_. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
micool (+3 TPE)

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. During the Conference Finals Panthers had no players who had multi goal game, yet they beat the Texas in 5 games. Can New England shut down a team with such depth, how could they do it?
b. On New England side Ivan Lacksamus is back on MVP form, scoring 15 goals and 38 points in 19 games, including the 15 points scored in Conference Finals. Should Los Angeles try to find a way to stop him or hope that their stars kick in the next gear to meet the challenge head on?
c. Olof Karsikko, who has won the Razov and the Challenge Cup with both teams, while already past his peak comes into finals with higher save percentage than Grzegorz Brzeczyszczykiewicz who on the other hand has lower goal against average. Which team in your opinion has advantage on net and how much of an impact you think it will have on the series?
d. So, a pack of wolves fighting some panthers. Where the fight happens? How it goes? Which side wins? Were animals hurt while answering this prompt?
e. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

a. Given their playoff experience, New England definitely has the capacity to shut down Los Angeles. However, they're getting older, and seeing LA be as up-and-coming as they are, they are going to get a run for their money. Shutting down depth is a tough ask, but it is possible through a well-coordinated team defense. (54 words)

b. Los Angeles should absolutely try to find a way to stop Lacksamus. Having one person basically running an offense tends to be a risky maneuver, but through a complete team effort, it's not impossible. That being said, an extra notch from their stars would also be an incredible boon on top of everything. (53 words)

c. It's tough to say, but I believe Karsikko has the advantage in this series. Having the team depth in front of a goalie that Karsikko has can't be viewed as anything but an advantage. While Brzeczyszczykiewicz does have the more experienced team, I still give the Panthers the advantage in this situation. (52 words)

(+3 total TPE)

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Maybe next season (100 words min)
Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?

The Tampa Bay Barracuda are the best team not to make the finals. Some might say that they exited where they should be, but as a brand ambassador for the Tampa Bay Barracuda and the Fitted Hockey Network, I will not take this slander and/or libel. It's true that they might need another season, but they have so much talent on the roster it's not even funny. For specifics, their defense is really good (see John Brown) and their goaltending is superb. All they need is one more push and they can be the world beaters that me and many others have pegged them to be for a while now. (111 words) (+2 TPE)

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024, 12:11 AM by dogwoodmaple. Edited 2 times in total.)

Affiliate PT +3

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

maple

Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?

It's awfully hard not to say Edmonton.  The Blizzard went all in this year and they were dominant from start to finish. They ended the regular season with most points and the best goal differential, but unfortunately just ran into a buzzsaw when they were eliminated by Los Angeles.  When you're talking about a roster with two 100+ point players in Jack St. Clair and EGGWARD ELRIC, you know you've got an offense ready to explode.  Throw in three more 90+ point players and you have a front line that can absolutely light up any team they run up against.  Justin Time was as good as anybody between the pipes with 44 wins and in any other year, I imagine the Blizzard would've been holding the trophy. (127)

total of 8 TPE

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

1. Trivia [3 TPE]

CW

13. Procrastinator Special [2 TPE]

The Los Angeles Panthers won and they did so because they were the better team. In one of the most dominant playoff runs of all time, the Panthers went 16-1-1. They finished the regular season on a 13 game win streak - meaning they were 29-1-1 over their last 32 games which is simply an absurd record to have even in this super odd FHM era that we're currently in. The team was incredibly well built from top to bottom, and after starting the season off a little slow they really picked it up at the right time and were able to bring it all home. It also helped them having an absolute dawg in net too.

3. [3 TPE]

Well, we already know what happened so we have the answer on which of these won out, but I'll give you my thoughts as a bit of a review on what happened. The Panthers came in as a youthful team - hungry to taste success and they looked like it on the ice. They were willing to go the extra mile to ensure that the ugly green colour on the site was no longer there. The Panthers' colours are much nicer and having won the cup last season, the Wolfpack didn't really have that much to play for and I think that showed. You could tell that one team was out here playing in what felt like life or death games and that drive to win is really what pushed them over the edge in this playoff series. Playoffs are grueling and to have that edge of simply wanting it more can be the difference maker in a seven game series. We'll see if LAP is able to keep that same hunger in going for the repeat next season.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Code:

TheSeasPartForWeAlone

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

d. So, a pack of wolves fighting some panthers. Where the fight happens? How it goes? Which side wins? Were animals hurt while answering this prompt?

Since panthers are not known to be pack hunters, there's a very good chance that a lone panther will be wandering into a pack of rabid wolves. However, an adult male panther is one of the most efficient prowlers in the world, so chances are a few wolves would be dead before they even realize what's happening to them. However, with the strength of numbers on their side, if there's at least 10 wolves in the vicinity, the panther will eventually get overwhelmed - but not after shredding their numbers thin.
(93 words)

Code:

Even before knowing the results of the series, I had the Los Angeles Panthers winning. Why? Pure chauvinism. You see, we - the San Francisco Pride - lost to them in the first round for the 3rd time in 4 seasons. It was only a matter of time before they finally got their Cup run, as we did last season. So while they are stinky and a clear cut division rival of ours, it's a better feeling to be eliminated by the eventual Cup winner, which is why they had my vote.
(91 words)

Code:
11. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around? Did last season's results surprise you?

Last season's IIHF tournament was a warning shot to the rest of the nations in the tournament - Switzerland's newest push for the medal rounds is now in full flight. Even if we have some aging superstars, such as Ivan Lacksamus and Louise St. Martin, I can see us clawing our way back into the Gold medal final once more this season, and this time, we won't be beaten like we were by Germany a season ago. While we don't have the flashiest squad, we are a very well rounded squad, with plenty of SHL experience to go around, and a good mix of experience and youth. As one of the youngest players on the team - even if I have been playing in this tournament since Season 70 - I will try to establish myself as a rugged middle-six presence, as I have been doing in San Francisco for the past two seasons, and while it won't necessarily show up on the scorecard, I will try to contribute to the defensive effort of the team and play swiftly in transition.
(184 words)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

1. Trivia - 3 TPE
Gatorade

3. Been there, Done that - 3 TPE
I'd say that experience generally trumps a fresh perspective or excitement. Excitement can be a bad thing, as it can make players play in an unexpected way or feel additional nerves. There's more jitters, blinders as well in a way that warps the team's perspective and on ice play. Experience however, can mitigate that, with playoff veterans familiar with the atmosphere and additional pressure. 2 cup wins signifies a lot of experience, coupled with an additional 2 cup appearances. However, it's hard to deny that the Panthers and their adrenaline could simply lead to the team outplaying New England. Sometimes in games, there's just a desire of wanting something more. Maybe that's what the Panthers will have going for them in a battle of excitement versus experience. The mental advantage could go either way however, as it'll really depend on how each team weaponizes their advantage. If the Panthers can weaponize their energy, and maybe their fanbase plays an effect during home games, the cup is surely within grasp for them.

6. Maybe next season - 2 TPE
The Calgary Dragons of course! I don't actually know anything about most other teams so I'll just default to Calgary here. They've got a great core of youth players and their drafts have often had a multitude of picks as well. Some of their prospects are amongst the top in the league, so they'll surely have the depth and talent across their lineup to succeed. This season was Sophie Bordeleau's last (I think?) so the cup would have just been well deserved for her. The team wanted to see her succeed on her way out, and that's why they were a top cup contender despite the results of the season.

GM pass

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Code:

CW TRIVIA LINK

scruf

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, And make it double (150 words min.)
SHL HO has noticed how well received the Ultimus Bowl half time show has been and you are now tasked to create a show for both intermissions during one of Challenge Cup Finals. What kind of performance it will be and how will you ensure that ice will get resurfaced while it is going on?

If there is one thing that Slip McScruff is good at, it’s being a huge distraction.  I think that whatever performance will have to be outside of the ice because he can’t be bothered with the logistics of making sure the ice gets resurfaced.  Probably some kind of game show with the eliminated teams, like the all star game but with the locker room guys, not the scoresheet guys.

We’ll call it Slip’s McScruff, and the game will make as much sense as the name.  We’ll need to involve some kind of dunk tank, so that means we could have at least half the show out in the parking lot.  The other half could just be in the stands and Slip will pocket the budget savings.  The contestants will be mixed between conferences and divisions, so the goal and driving motivation will be to dunk your division rivals, especially those who knocked you out.

After that, the actual game show isn’t too important.  Is it trivia? Is it a game of skills? Who cares? Game on.

Code:

I mean, the elephant in the room for this conversation is the Edmonton Blizzard.  They were lethal in the regular season with a +156 goal differential, although only a 5 point spread ahead of the 3 way tie for 2nd.  It’s really a shame that the division structure pitted them against Los Angeles in the second round for what could have been the conference finals.  Although, to be fair the conference finals on paper looked like it should have been Texas / Edmonton as the other dominant team in the West.

It might seem like cheating to take the other conference leading team, but the Philadelphia Forge also seemed like a lock for the finals.  They were in that 3 way tie for 2nd but sported a +137 differential .  After fighting out of their division, it seemed like a clear path to the finals.  Their opponent was 8 points worse in the regular season and, almost mirroring Los Angeles, had only a +87 goal differential.

Clearly the regular season juggernauts aren’t a lock for the finals and “the best team” has a different meaning in the playoffs.

Code:
13. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 75! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

The Los Angeles Panthers really came in and spanked the post season to a surprising degree.  It shouldn’t really be a surprised since they finished the regular season winning 13 games in a row.  They smashed the 6th and 11th place teams in sweeps and only gave up one game each to the 1st and 4th place teams. 

I really don’t have any advice for any team on the receiving end of this train.  The Wolfpack had already managed to beat the Forge in 6, which should have created some measure of confidence.  The Forge had only lost 2 games to that point, same as the Panthers.  Maybe lots of ice baths and just play loose.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post

DAD
3 TPE

3. Written, 3 TPE, Been there, Done that (150 words min.)

It has been 10 seasons since Panthers last won the cup and Yannick Svoboda is only player left from that team. While for the New England this is 4th finals appearance since S70 and multiple players have been there for all of them, including the two cup wins. Will that experience triumph over excitement or will it make them overconfident? Will the nerves of Panthers get better of them now when the stakes are the highest? Which team has the mental advantage over the other and how big of an impact you think it will have on the match up?

Well, as I’m writing these lines, the results are already known by everyone and LAP triumphed over NEW. I can say that I’m surprised how LAP actually managed to sweep NEW, one of the top teams in the league for the past seasons. But, NEW had a rough playoff road and they beat PHI not with ease. LAP swept their first round matchup, won in 5 against EDM and won also in five against TEX. With how they dominated their playoff matchups against everyone, I’m not that surprised about how LAP played even if they had a lot of new faces in their team. They had some playoffs experience in the past season since their S65 cup, so the youngsters had some experience in the playoffs. Their team is so well balanced and they also have some great veterans with them. LAP clearly was motivated like no one else to win the cup and congrats to them! NEW is getting older and older, but I’m sure that they are not finished yet. 3 TPE

The Texas Renegades clearly deserved a better fate than their WCF lost against LAP. With the best defense in the league and a solid goaltender in Dionne, Texas was a solid team this season. They finished 1st in their division ahead of Winnipeg who was on top for the last 6 or 7 seasons. Their core is getting better and better and not a lot of players suffered from regression. McBride, DAD, Boots and Dionne were very good and they led the team to their second straight division title. LAP was better during their matchup but the scores were very closed during the last 3 games as LAP won only by 1 game during the last three games. 3 TPE

3 + 3 + 2 = 8 TPE

[Image: dad.png]

David-Arturri Donskoi
Regina Elk
Hey I'm DAD can I adopt you?

Trivia:
Poopheheh

RETIRED

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024, 02:23 AM by Dextaria. Edited 5 times in total.)

Code:

Dex

Code:
a. During the Conference Finals Panthers had no players who had multi goal game, yet they beat the Texas in 5 games. Can New England shut down a team with such depth, how could they do it?
b. On New England side Ivan Lacksamus is back on MVP form, scoring 15 goals and 38 points in 19 games, including the 15 points scored in Conference Finals. Should Los Angeles try to find a way to stop him or hope that their stars kick in the next gear to meet the challenge head on?
c. Olof Karsikko, who has won the Razov and the Challenge Cup with both teams, while already past his peak comes into finals with higher save percentage than Grzegorz Brzeczyszczykiewicz who on the other hand has lower goal against average. Which team in your opinion has advantage on net and how much of an impact you think it will have on the series?

d. A pack of wolves and panthers is one of the closest match ups in a fight however depending on the numbers, the wolves likely win. They have such natural pack instincts and work together to take down their foes whereas I am uncertain if this is the case for panthers in a group.
e. Totally not because I already know the outcome of the games, but I have the Los Angeles Panthers winning. They have such firepower and skills whereas the New England Wolfpack are on the older side and the tail end of their prime. The cup is the Panthers' to lose in this case.

Procrastinators

Code:
13. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 75! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

The Los Angeles Panthers won the series and let's be honest here, the New England Wolfpack were clearly outmatched and had a lot to do if they wanted even a shot at winning a game. Therefore, what the New England Wolfpack could have done is maybe focused on getting some playoff Olof to back them and then and only then do I think they really had any shot at making a stand. As for my favourite part in the series, I definitely enjoy the fact that we have a new Challenge Cup champion because it is always nice to see the teams duking it out and having that change.

Code:
14. Written, 2 TPE - But I thought the season was already over (100 words min.)
Challenge Cup Finals might be over and season switch done on portal but there is still sims going on SMJHL. Write a preview (or if you are really late, a review) about this seasons Four Star Cup Finals.

It is a Newfoundland Berserkers are back in the Four Star Cup finals against a maybe unfamiliar face in the Colorado Raptors. The Berserkers were able to knock out the favourite of the last few seasons in the Maine Timber, raising to the occasion. Comparatively, the Raptors were able to knock out the top seed in the Quebec City Citadelles. Unforunately, the series between Newfoundland and Colorado does not last too long as the Berserkers are clearly outmatched and are defeated in five games. With the Raptors having won more games compared to the Berserkers in the regular season, we could kind of see this coming.

8/8 TPE

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

Tea

Hockey Arenas make for a difficult experience in both trying to copy a similar experience with a halftime show. For one the most difficult thing would be the fact that there is no true period of inbetwen periods. Either you opt to have a ridiculously long media/tv advertisement type of break, or you do it before the third period? That seems to be the best way but at that point has it not already delayed the first two periods and the conclusion of the game, taking away from the actual sporting event itself? I went towards the second intermission, has ultimately that's would be the best place to put it to ensure that you have as many eyeballs in the game and for the last period, hoping what leads to the most exciting event. There's also a question of which game you would do it for, as a best of 7 Series is not the same as a winner takes all elimination scenario. As for the actual Logistics of the show itself having something that would be able to avoid the use of the ice in order for it to be your surfaced would mean that the best scenario is to have an arena, hopefully one that is able to open up, and make use of the space in a three-dimensional sense.

Massive congratulations to the Los Angeles panthers! That truly does look like despite how the games may have resembled some form of closeness, that they ultimately found a way to Simply carry the momentum all the way through to a sweet period the thing that was most exciting about me is seeing how despite the separation of teams, Locker rooms, individual groups and friends, that there are things that somehow permeate across all of these different bubbles in the forearm of the excitement over closing out each individual game. The power of the hodl truly cannot be stopped. I can't help but to be curious about the other things that either the teams I've been on have adopted or have started as trends in another group.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]