Create Account

S75 Championship Week Due: Sunday, March 24th @ 11:59 PM PST

1. bang

3. As someone who played on a couple of those excellent NEW teams, I have all the confidence in the world in that group. Really mentally solid squad that proved they can go the distance with one of the longest cup runs in SHL history during S70. With four straight series all decided in game 7. Now that being said, if I have to play devil's advocate, those guys might be tiring out. Having deep runs back to back to back to back and winning multiple cups is an incredible feat, but simply put the laws of nature will catch you eventually. You have to get tired some time. Is this going to be the year they wear out and lose to a young hungry team? Maybe! If they do I don't think there's any shame in it, and if I'm being honest there's a decent chance they'll be deep in the playoffs again next season.

6. Maybe some personal bias creeping in but it's a shame to not see Texas get rewarded for all their hard work this season. I think there core is still going to get a couple more kicks at the can, but seeing them start to come out of the long dark rebuilding tunnel is awesome. They had a great regular season and a decent little playoff run, but I'd have enjoyed seeing them in the finals. Anything could happen against a NEW squad that, as previously mentioned, might be a little tuckered out. So if they could have found a way to creep into the finals that would have been a big deal for a group just coming into their window.

TPE: 8/8

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer.
Code:
Verification word: applepie

4. Written, 3 TPE, Merely a setback! (150 words min.)
For Edmonton, with their off-season moves we can clearly see they are hitting the rebuild button by trading away most of their top players and looking to acquire draft capital for future seasons to come. We saw this in the early S60's with Edmonton and it looks like HFFO is looking to run it back again with that strategy. For Winnipeg, I believe they're still looking to be competitive for a few more seasons. On the Eastern side of things, it has been PHI and NEW in the East finals since S72 and that trend will probably continue for a few more seasons (BAP and HAM are going to be very good soon). LAP and TEX look to be the powerhouses in the West with WPG about to begin suffering with regression. On a more personal note, here in Texas we have a brand new 1C along with a 2k TPE defender, so I feel like we're right in the middle of our prime for multiple cup runs.

Code:
Words: 150+

13. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
The Panthers decided they did not want to play more than four games, so they swept the New England Wolfpack, which was a pretty big shock to most of us. The only thing I can think of that the Wolfpack could have done differently is switch up their strategy after losing the first two games. Los Angeles seemed like they just wanted it more; they came in and dominated New England in every way possible. Los Angeles goalie just decided to shut them down after game one. You would think with the amount of high-octane offense that New England has, they would've at least put up somewhat of a fight... big disappointment for their fans.

Code:
Words: 100+

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

1. Hope +3 TPE

PBE affiliate PT +3 TPE

6 TPE total

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024, 01:46 AM by Count Chocula. Edited 8 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

JNH

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

Code:
a. During the Conference Finals Panthers had no players who had multi goal game, yet they beat the Texas in 5 games. Can New England shut down a team with such depth, how could they do it?

c. Olof Karsikko, who has won the Razov and the Challenge Cup with both teams, while already past his peak comes into finals with higher save percentage than Grzegorz Brzeczyszczykiewicz who on the other hand has lower goal against average. Which team in your opinion has advantage on net and how much of an impact you think it will have on the series?

a. I will take depth scoring on a roster over a few superstars any day. It s hard to shut down 3 lines every night, so I will give the edge to the Panthers. They have a stacked lineup and have dominated all playoffs long thus far. New England has struggled at times along the way.

c. Olof could be one of the greatest playoff performers of all time. He's won 3 cups with 2 separate teams. 2 playoff MVPs with 2 separate teams. He is making his case for a 3rd as well. There are nights he is the best player on the ice for the Wolfpack. Grzegorz on the other hand has shown vulnerability in the crease. If anything he's looked like the only weak spot for the Panthers.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Merely a setback! (150 words min.)
For more than 5 seasons conference finals have mostly been played between Edmonton and Winnipeg in west, yet this season they were both knocked out earlier. In the east Baltimore and Hamilton challenged Philadelphia and New England but ultimately we saw the same two teams in conference finals. Was season 75 merely a setback for Edmonton and Winnipeg or is the clock also ticking for New England and Philadelphia?

I strongly believe that his past season was just a minor set back for Edmonton. They have such a strong and deep team that the only reasonable explanation was that they just hit a rut at the wrong time. I have no doubt that they will be back among the 4 finalists again next season. They have such a talented roster from top to bottom and will easily be able to compete for championships for the next several seasons. Winnipeg on the other hand squandered their window to win after only walking away with 1 title in what should have been a dynasty. They were truly a disappointment. New England and Philadelphia seem like the real deal. Everytime you think they are gonna take a step back, some new star comes along to lift them back up. New England is constantly replacing talent to keep the team in the spotlight. If I was a betting man I'd say New England and Edmonton will be in the finals next season.

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2024, 01:38 PM by Akoustique.)

CW Trivia Verification Word: akou +3
Affiliate: PBE PT +3

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Maybe next season (100 words min)
Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?

In the SMJHL, the Maine Timber were definitely very close to making the finals. I think the Timber would have given Colorado a run for their money, and certainly would have changed the entire dynamic of the S75 championship games. The Timber kept things close throughout the entire playoffs, and Newfoundland capitalized on their weaknesses to win in seven games. Maine was one of the scariest teams this season, whether it was a mix of their defensive capabilities or their offensive scoring. Not to take anything away from Newfoundland, but seeing the spread of games in the finals, it's easy to wonder what could have been if the Timber had squeaked out one more game against them.

(117 words)

8 TPE Total

[Image: 9kneOLq.png]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: salami

Code:
Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?

When you look at the best teams to not make the SMJL finals this season, there can only be one correct answer. The Detroit Falcons. The defending champs looked poised to make another run this season, but ultimately fell short. They finished fourth in the league during the regular season, with 84 points and a 40-22-4 record. Their +45 points differential was good for fifth in the league. A lot of teams have the talent, but Detroit had the playoff experience that gave them the edge. While they fell short in defending their title, you can expect the Falcons to be right back at it next season. 

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Does someone still buy these?
Create a magazine cover that highlights either a player in the finals or a standout player from the regular season.

[Image: HYPutnW.png]

[Image: dinonuggets2.gif]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png]
Credit to Amidships & sulovilen
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2024, 04:15 PM by CementHands. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:

CW TRIVIA LINK

coffee

3 TPE

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. During the Conference Finals Panthers had no players who had multi goal game, yet they beat the Texas in 5 games. Can New England shut down a team with such depth, how could they do it?

I mean yes, New England has been shutting down depth teams all playoffs (look at last round vs Philly if you want an example of this). All they have to do is keep playing to their strengths and they are the better team on paper and on the ice. My East bias is out, but LA has next to no chance at this one.

Code:
b. On New England side Ivan Lacksamus is back on MVP form, scoring 15 goals and 38 points in 19 games, including the 15 points scored in Conference Finals. Should Los Angeles try to find a way to stop him or hope that their stars kick in the next gear to meet the challenge head on?

LA has to hope they can find a way to stop or at least slow down Lacksamus, otherwise this is going to be a 4 or 5 game series. They need the counter punch to keep up, but will need to stem the offensive juggernaut whenever he is on the ice. The Russian Beast is out for blood in his MVP form this playoffs, and Panthers are on the menu.

2 TPE

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Merely a setback! (150 words min.)
For more than 5 seasons conference finals have mostly been played between Edmonton and Winnipeg in west, yet this season they were both knocked out earlier. In the east Baltimore and Hamilton challenged Philadelphia and New England but ultimately we saw the same two teams in conference finals. Was season 75 merely a setback for Edmonton and Winnipeg or is the clock also ticking for New England and Philadelphia? Which teams you expect to see making it to finals during next few seasons?

Well with Edmontons wealth of picks from the draft I think it is a pretty easy thing to say that the clock is running out on their current team, but watch out because in 4-5 seasons these players are all going to be solid contributors to another stacked team. They might even be able to sell some of their crop off because due to the current cap rules they won't be able to retain all of their current members as is, so in their ultimate scenario all of their recent picks are huge hits and go on to have long and fruitful careers, and they are able to sell just enough assets to give them a ton of picks coming back the other way. We'll see if teams play nicely though like teams did to the cash strapped Buffalo in the 60's - feeding them tonnes of picks in return for players who would have otherwise been cut. Time will tell if those are vultures circling, or gulls.

167 Words

3 TPE

8 TPE

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

Trivia verification word : Elk

[Image: A3AlstA.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2024, 06:01 PM by Thunfish. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Portimonense

3. I feel like it might sound a bit against the grain but I care very little about it, so here goes. Experience is important but not in the way you would think of. It has more importance when it comes to getting the team to go in certain directions as opposed to how experienced their players are. Basically, when you are building a roster, you are expecting that each player fits in a certain way if you are not able to get them piecemeal or anything like it simply.

Basically, experience is useful to get your thoughts across as a general manager because then you can go and talk to everyone so they do what you want. I think it is paramount for any team to have a team-wide plan if they want success but I do not know for sure if that is just the sole way you can get to the top.

7. [Image: LPDVNXQ.png]

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

Code:

Word: WOLFSUPHOWL

Code:
9. Graphic, 3 TPE, Face of the Franchise
Your player strikes a sponsorship deal with a local producer of something. Create an add showing the product with your player or their face on it.
[Image: z3b3Zqg.png]

Code:
12. Written, 2 TPE, Favor for a friend (100 words min.)
If you could take one or two of your SHL/SMJHL teammates on loan for next international tournament would you go for absolute best players, look at where your international team is most struggling or just take your friends to hang with you on the locker room. Who would you pick and why?

If i could take anyone with me to play on Canada? I would take Ivan Lacksamus. I mean that's such a no brainer. They are killers on the ice. Canada gets a future Hall of Famer and I deprive another team of a man of the same caliber. Its just a strategic move. I also like Ivan Lacksamus as a person. They have really helped elevated my game into a new level. I am not sure where we are playing this IIHF but in this hypothetical I hope it isn't in Switzerland. I would probably get killed for taking Ivan with me.

[

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

1. Trivia, Possible 3 TPE 

verification word: t0m

4. Written, 3 TPE, Merely a setback! (150 words min.)

For more than 5 seasons conference finals have mostly been played between Edmonton and Winnipeg in west, yet this season they were both knocked out earlier. In the east Baltimore and Hamilton challenged Philadelphia and New England but ultimately we saw the same two teams in conference finals. Was season 75 merely a setback for Edmonton and Winnipeg or is the clock also ticking for New England and Philadelphia? Which teams you expect to see making it to finals during next few seasons?

In the next few seasons I expect both the New England Wolfpack and the Philadelphia Forge to be challenging again. Edmonton has made a total blowout and will be in the Blizzard for years to come. Winnipeg Aurora I believe will be fighting again next season as well. They were so close and they will have motivation to fight for another run. But their clock is ticking fast. Their window is closing soon. They will have to retool in the not distant future. That also goes for New England Wolfpack and the Philadelphia Forge, but I do believe that Winnipeg Aurora will have to do the retooling earlier than the other two. But during the next three to four seasons I do believe that the top teams will be changed. Then all the mentioned teams will be in a position to fight for high draft picks and negative +/- statistics. And I welcome them to do that as well.

Words: 158

11. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)

Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around? Did last season's results surprise you?

Finally it is time for the IIHFs again. The best time of the season. My predictions for this IIHF tournament is that Norway will win. I’ve said it several seasons already. But with the home advantage, both Adam Prprich and Grogu Mandosson and the Solberg twins getting better I do believe that Norway will be a formidable force to reckon with. Both Sweden and Germany will also do well. Finland is not far behind and Japan will also be up there fighting for wins. Both Ireland and Chechia are outsiders as well. It will be a very exciting tournament. My player, Tom Pedersen, will be defensive good on the wing, but not that great offensive anymore. But hopefully he can bring a sturdy defensive two way play and help the team to glory. Last season’s results did come as a surprise as Germany managed to get a lucky win over Norway in the semi finals. We do hope to get revenge this season. And we do want to continue to beat Japan in games that matter. KOM IGJEN, NORGE!!!

Words: 179

[Image: TomPedersenCD.jpg]
[Image: cgv4vCv.png][Image: 3Kip7R0.png][Image: ivBf7yq.png][Image: cEbgUph.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2024, 10:31 PM by Slappydoodle. Edited 3 times in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE
Sticky nips

2 D. +1 tpe

It all comes down to teamwork . Wolves hunt and work as a pack. Panthers might form a small family unit, but basically they're solitary animals. While any one average panther would destroy your average wolf, a pack of wolves would tear a panther or two apart. Teamwork, tactical continuity and sheer weight of numbers are the deciding factors here. Teamwork over individual achievements every time.

10. 2 man 15 min pod +4 tpe
https://m.soundcloud.com/mesbonk/big-slappy-cw-75

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2024, 12:24 AM by CptSquall. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
b. On New England side Ivan Lacksamus is back on MVP form, scoring 15 goals and 38 points in 19 games, including the 15 points scored in Conference Finals. Should Los Angeles try to find a way to stop him or hope that their stars kick in the next gear to meet the challenge head on?
c. Olof Karsikko, who has won the Razov and the Challenge Cup with both teams, while already past his peak comes into finals with higher save percentage than Grzegorz Brzeczyszczykiewicz who on the other hand has lower goal against average. Which team in your opinion has advantage on net and how much of an impact you think it will have on the series?
d. So, a pack of wolves fighting some panthers. Where the fight happens? How it goes? Which side wins? Were animals hurt while answering this prompt?
e. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

A: Championship acumen says that the New England Wolfpack are able to find a way to win in any situation. That said they have been slowly aging and all the long playoff runs do wear on you. Depth wins championships because you cannot shut down EVERYONE. So who knows man.

B: I mean of course, always try to contain the hot hand if you can. But the Los Angeles Panthers should not worry about their position too hard as they have shown an ability to run all 4 lines and get goals from everywhere. If their stars can even come close to Ivan's production this Post Season, they'll be in good shape.

C: Well the underlying numbers and advantages do speak a bit about both the teams paths to the finals AND the strength of the teams respective D cores. It says that Olof has a lot more to handle night in and night out, so Id personally give the advantage to Grzegorz.

E: Well it is long over now and LA has taken over. Honestly they would have been my sexy pick for the win anyhow as I prefer a deep team that runs all 4 lines and makes the goaltender's job easier every night. Simply put this is a younger team on the rise that is deep compared to aging New England.

Code:

Since the SMJHL is my theme for this one, I suppose we will stick with things here. The best team to not make the finals are the Maine Timber who finished with 94 points and were 2nd to Quebec. Better yet they were the only other team besides the side from La Belle Province to have a strong Road Record, going 20-10-3. They lost in 7 to the Newfoundland Berserkers who were 18 points back of them. They lost because Overtime comes down to each play and the Zerks were a lot better of a team than their record showed.

Code:
14. Written, 2 TPE - But I thought the season was already over (100 words min.)
Challenge Cup Finals might be over and season switch done on portal but there is still sims going on SMJHL. Write a preview (or if you are really late, a review) about this seasons Four Star Cup Finals.

Well the 4 Star Cup Finals are also over now and WE (Colorado Raptors) WON IN 5!!!!! What a fantastic time to be on the Dino Gang! We managed to win and, in spite of both a blow out or two. The series was rather close. Game 2 went to overtime and game 3 was even won by the Newfoundland Berserkers. In all honesty a lot of people on the site felt that the match up in the previous round between the aforementioned Raptors and the Quebec Citadelles was your defacto Cup Finals due to being the 3rd and 1st seeds respectively, though I choose to look at it for what it is.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

Code:

Participation

Code:
d. So, a pack of wolves fighting some panthers. Where the fight happens? How it goes? Which side wins? Were animals hurt while answering this prompt?

A. I admit that having depth like that can make things very difficult as I distinctly recall a gridiron football game where a man by the name of Markus Wheaton had 201 receiving yards a full 104 more than the second best performance of his career as the defense was too busy dealing with the elite players ahead of him on the depth chart. That said I also know that the entirety of the depth chart is just as vulnerable to having the fire alarm of their hotel triggered at random intervals before the games. All the depth in the world does not mean a thing if your opponent is too tired to play.

Code:
Word Count: 113

B. Is this question seriously 'should they try to stop the best scorer on the opposing team'? Yes? When you are up against Jordan or Gretzky you game plan to do your best to slow them down because you know in your heart of hearts that if you don't they are just going to run roughshod all over you for the duration. Their stars will still kick it into high gear to win it all, but you have to do your part as a coach to make things as easy on them as possible.

Code:
Word Count: 93

C. I am going to say upfront about this that everything I have ever heard about goalies in regards to the sim that we use suggests to me that it really does not matter if they are at all appropriately made, and given both teams have advanced as far as they have I do not think I could say that one team has an advantage over the other due to goalie. What I can say is Grzegorz Brzeczyszczykiewicz's name is worth a ton more in Scrabble and so I give them the edge.

Code:
Word Count: 92

D. Well panthers aren't a distinctive species to my knowledge so this depends very much on which group you mean. If you are meaning the big cat genus Panthera then I would say 3/5 it is a landslide in favor of the cats which are apex predators with 100 pound weight advantage. There is a reason featherweights can't fight heavyweights and all that. The leopard who does not have as significant a weight advantage might be a more even match, but I give them the edge in a reasonable engagement on account of superior stealth skills. Would probably say the same for the Florida Panther also known as a cougar. No animals were harmed in the answering of this prompt.

Code:
Word Count: 120

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, And make it double (150 words min.)
SHL HO has noticed how well received the Ultimus Bowl half time show has been and you are now tasked to create a show for both intermissions during one of Challenge Cup Finals. What kind of performance it will be and how will you ensure that ice will get resurfaced while it is going on?

Well do I have the answer for you! See courtesy of my watching of other sports I know one of the biggest things relating to the bowl whose name I am not legally allowed to use is the puppy variant. Given puppies and ice is not an ideal mixture though I am going to go with the Penguin Finals and have a bunch of mundane penguins out there doing their best to put on a pleasant performance pretend playing a quick game of hockey.

Now that is for the first intermission, but for the second I am going to go to a distinctively triangle shaped head friend of mine to set up a quick intermission game of Hockey Z-9 to bring up the tension ahead of the last leg of the game. While I think the first portion will be great to get a widespread audience interested the second portion is a more heavy type that should help get people truly tuned in to watch for the last leg.

Now for as to how the ice will be quickly repaired beforehand is we are going to make sure every site has a copy of the Shiva magicite on hand to patch things up faster than any mere mortal could without magic.

Code:
Word Count: 211

2+4+3=9 so 8 TPE please and thank you!
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2024, 09:49 AM by the5urreal. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

moist

+3 TPE

Code:

a. On one hand, Winnipeg has proven time and time again that elite depth doesn't equate to championships. On the other, New England has struggled against deep teams in the past. However, considering most players are built exactly the same, I'll always give the advantage to the deeper team. New England will certainly need to account for that depth though I don't know how they could possibly do that.

[68 words]

d. I guess the answer to this question could depend on the type of panther and type of wolf. Generally speaking though, speed and agility are usually underrated in nature and a panther has that edge over a wolf. A wolf is highly intelligent but a panther is no slouch either. A wolf has a powerful bite, but a panther can strike with large paws and sharp claws meaning a wolf would need to get very close very fast to inflict damage. I think I'm giving the edge to the panther in this scenario.
[93 words]
+2 TPE

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Been there, Done that (150 words min.)
It has been 10 seasons since Panthers last won the cup and Yannick Svoboda is only player left from that team. While for the New England this is 4th finals appearance since S70 and multiple players have been there for all of them, including the two cup wins. Will that experience triumph over excitement or will it make them overconfident? Will the nerves of Panthers get better of them now when the stakes are the highest? Which team has the mental advantage over the other and how big of an impact you think it will have on the match up?

This is always a pretty tricky question. If this were the real world, the numerous players on the New England roster with experience making deep runs in the playoffs, including two championships, would be a major factor. It would go a long way in countering Los Angeles’s tactics and superior depth. Unfortunately for New England, this isn't the real world.

I'm no FHM expert by any stretch of the imagination so I'm not super familiar with countering tactics or how much weight any type of experience or chemistry mechanic might carry in the sim. I have seen time and time again how much of a boost having a deep team with lots of TPE spread across all three lines can give a team though. I would give the Panthers the advantage in this aspect.

As far as the mental advantage goes, I suppose that comes down to the leadership of each team and the people in each war room. Both GMs have been here before but New England has been here consistently more recently, overcoming the odds in multiple series along the way. I think I would give New England the advantage in this aspect.
[195 words]

+3 TPE

[Image: the5urrealshl.gif]

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]
[Image: KOKeZZJ.png]