Create Account

S75 Championship Week Due: Sunday, March 24th @ 11:59 PM PST
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2024, 08:36 AM by CaptainCamel. Edited 1 time in total.)

3. Written, 3 TPE, Been there, Done that (150 words min.)
It has been 10 seasons since Panthers last won the cup and Yannick Svoboda is only player left from that team. While for the New England this is 4th finals appearance since S70 and multiple players have been there for all of them, including the two cup wins. Will that experience triumph over excitement or will it make them overconfident? Will the nerves of Panthers get better of them now when the stakes are the highest? Which team has the mental advantage over the other and how big of an impact you think it will have on the match up?

Well, I think the answer to this one was glaringly obvious now that we've seen the championship games. New England came into this series horrendously over-confident and had one of the most embarrassing losses that I could remember. Sure, there were no games that they were completely blown out, and every game was a close, competitive one. But to make it to the finals with your champion history to be swept by the Panthers? I'm not certainly complaining, I love seeing new and different teams claim the cup for their own, but man what a shocker to see New England swept. I think the Panthers just had that much better of a mindset coming into the series. They finished an incredible season and had everything to prove and the confidence to back it up. They weren't going to let New England's history scare them away. Sometimes that eager excitement is just what a team needs to give them that extra step in their game.

WC: 164

3 TPE

4. Written, 3 TPE, Merely a setback! (150 words min.)
For more than 5 seasons conference finals have mostly been played between Edmonton and Winnipeg in west, yet this season they were both knocked out earlier. In the east Baltimore and Hamilton challenged Philadelphia and New England but ultimately we saw the same two teams in conference finals. Was season 75 merely a setback for Edmonton and Winnipeg or is the clock also ticking for New England and Philadelphia? Which teams you expect to see making it to finals during next few seasons?

Well, I certainly hope that this is a sign of changes to come. Not that I have anything against Edmonton or Winnipeg. Every sports league has their teams that are truly dominant and they have a reason why they're the best of the best. But as a fan as well as a player, I love to see new teams in the spotlight. Not just for the SHL, but also other sports across the globe. Look at the NHL for example. I absolutely despise the Florida Panthers, but hey, it was awesome seeing a smaller team like that make their push to the finals! In 2021, we saw the Montreal Canadiens, who NOBODY expected to make it that far, have their own push to make it to the finals. New things in sports are fun. I can definitely see Philly (as much as I would not like it coming from an Atlanta prospect) making their push to the finals in this upcoming season.

WC: 162

3 TPE

6. Written, 2 TPE, Maybe next season (100 words min)
Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?

This totally isn't me being a homer (sarcasm), but you gotta think the Kelowna Knights are on the up and coming. Their blue line is being led by the all star Paul Bondage and judging from this past season, it looks like he's willing to carry this team on his back to make it to another playoff series and eventually get that first round win. They are still missing many pieces to the puzzle to be a true contender, but there's a unity among this team that you don't find in every hockey team. Be on the lookout next season for this team.

WC: 103

2 TPE

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]

Code:

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Code:

Code:
Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?

The best SHL team to not make the finals this season was the Edmonton Blizzard. Edmonton has been a powerhouse and regularly made deep runs in the playoffs recently and it seemed like this season was going to be more of the same. They led the league in points by a decent margin, topped the goal differential charts, and had 6 of the top 10 players in plus/minus. All in all, it was a bit surprising to see them lose in the conference semi-finals, especially while only winning one game in the series. Edmonton surely will be disappointed with their playoff performance as they certainly came in as one of the favorites to lift the cup. (118 words)

Code:

Code:
11. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around? Did last season's results surprise you?

As Jarrod Lakemore enters the prime of his career, he is hoping to put up some good numbers in the IIHF for Team Latvia. Latvia has had some pretty disappointing results the last few seasons, failing to make it out of the group stage. The team has generally had some strong players at the top end, but not quite the depth that some of the stronger teams have. This hasn't really changed this year as Latvia will once again be icing a decent amount of junior players on their senior team, but there still is enough talent at the top end that Latvia can certainly play their way into the knockout stage this time around. Latvia's main issue is lack of defensive depth as their third pairing will feature two junior players, but Latvia does have three pretty solid forward lines that should be able to score enough to be competitive against just about anyone. It wouldn't be surprising to see Latvia finally turn their fortunes around and make it out of the group stage this season. (180 words)

Citadelles  S68 - Jarrod Lakemore - C Stampede
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2024, 09:20 AM by KalixIzalumi. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

verification word: research

13. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)

Looks like [TEAM] won Season 75! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

The panthers won the season!  In the first three games they appeared to have many more shots on the goal and better setups/power play time leading to their victory, while in the 3rd game a very aggressive first two periods led to a decisive win. in the final game it appeared that both teams were more matched in goals. one of the best things New England can do would probably be to work on a more solid mid field setup to prevent some of these shots from occuring in the first place and lightening the load on their defensive line. (100 words). 

5. Written, 3 TPE, And make it double (150 words min.)

SHL HO has noticed how well received the Ultimus Bowl half time show has been and you are now tasked to create a show for both intermissions during one of Challenge Cup Finals. What kind of performance it will be and how will you ensure that ice will get resurfaced while it is going on?

We're doing a Zamboni Ballet!. when it's time for the halftime show and the ice is cleared of goals and players, soft music will begin playing and two separate Zambonis will slowly cruise onto the ice. The Zambonis themselves will be sporting streamers flowing behind them while the drivers will be wearing bright tutus. In a display of wonderful dexterity, the drivers shall gracefully spin the Zambonis around one another careful to avoid each other and getting every part of the ice, while also spinning in unique patterns. the drivers will perform one handed flourishes using streamers or other props while still maintaining proper control of the vehicles and focusing on the ice. the finale at the height of the song will be them passing really close into the center and the drivers switching Zamboni in mid-air spinning around one another and landing safely back onto their partner's machine before speeding off the ice to the applause of the audience.    (160 words). 

HO pass

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Code:

Coffee

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. During the Conference Finals Panthers had no players who had multi goal game, yet they beat the Texas in 5 games. Can New England shut down a team with such depth, how could they do it?

It is going to be hard to shut that down because depth is absolutely what wins championships. Everyone goes cold eventually, so to be able to rely on any person in the lineup is key to keeping momentum going and morale high. Team depth trumps one skilled line every time. Focus on shutting down the opponents and let your other lines run amok.
(63)

Code:
d. So, a pack of wolves fighting some panthers. Where the fight happens? How it goes? Which side wins? Were animals hurt while answering this prompt?

Seeing as we have both coast of the US represented, we need some neutral ground. The fight takes place in the Midwest in a wide open prairie. The wolves have a clear advantage since they are naturally pack animals. Panthers are more solitary so they struggle with team dynamics. For this fact alone I would have to give the fight to the wolves.
(63)

Code:
For more than 5 seasons conference finals have mostly been played between Edmonton and Winnipeg in west, yet this season they were both knocked out earlier. In the east Baltimore and Hamilton challenged Philadelphia and New England but ultimately we saw the same two teams in conference finals. Was season 75 merely a setback for Edmonton and Winnipeg or is the clock also ticking for New England and Philadelphia? Which teams you expect to see making it to finals during next few seasons?

Edmonton is absolutely done in terms of post season success after their total fire sale after getting booted early this season. Winnipeg are probably going to be able to limp along and have some better playoff success in the next couple of seasons but will most likely not be a true threat in the west. Edmonton gave up and Winnipeg is finally paying up for all those moves that made them a powerhouse for so long. The East is a different story though. Both New England and Philadelphia have built their teams up without sacrificing much in terms of draft capital. They have created fantastic locker rooms that draw in talent from around the league. They will both continue to lock down the east for the foreseeable future because of this. Yes, they both may need a season of retooling eventually but from what both their rosters and prospect pools look like even that may not be enough to force them from being the top dogs of the east.
(169)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

1. cum
2b. There is no need to try and stop Laximus he is too good so the best route to beat new england is to stop everyone but him and see how that works for you. this is why otehr teams didnt do and that is the problem that tehy ended up having was he is too good and got points anyways. If las angales wants to win this is likely the best route to take this final.
2c. Karsicko mode is a real thing and this season we are going to see the same thing we have seen before. the dude goes off in the playoffs, despite having normal statistics in hte regular season. this is a fun matchupo because if karsicko does not go karsicko mode then this series is wide open for the taking.
4. Well, after the last week i think we can clearly state that for wpg and edm it was a sign for thigns to come in the future. with EDM blowing up the roster and rapidly accelerating a rebuld they answered that question for us, and we will all expect to see tehm back near the top of teh leaguie in the near future. for wpg they also are accelerating a rebuild, but not to the extent that EDM is which means they might end up building a more consistent, but less high peaking roster for teh future. for philly and new it is intersting to look as as the two rosters are not high peaking tpe rosters, but rather they have things spread out much more throughout the roster. this strategy requires seasons on seasons of consistency and good LR managment which isnt easy to maintain. this is part of what happened in hamilton a few years back, and we all hope thye can make the jump back to the top of the league consistently with philly and NEW.

1. Verification word: vagabond [up to +3]
2a. Frankly, I don't think you can. The simple story for the Panthers is that they have a top line that doesn't hemorrhage leads (ie can go about even) with any team in the league, and their second and third lines are what really get you as a team. In the end, their 4-0 victory over the New England Wolfpack went exactly as we expected it to. [66, +1, total 4]
2b. Again, their depth is what really gets you. Even if there's an odd second- or third-pairing versus the top line for New England, the team does just enough from a defensive standpoint to keep Ivan Lacksamus in check while being able to make the difference on other lines. Lacksamus can do what he wants and will certainly "get his" in the end, but the Panthers won off of the back of their entire team, not strictly their top line. [79, +1, total 5]
11. The IIHF/WJC is a bit of a tricky experience for me. I was part of Team Sweden all of my last player's career (Emilia Bergman) and this time, my player has been called up to Team Iceland in just their third career season! I'd like to say things are going acceptably so far and I was hoping that my player would be a leader for the team; Violet has 5 points and I'm hopeful she'll continue to have a good showing especially with some powerplay time under her belt. However, my player really needs to cool it with the penalties (8 PIM in 3 games). My expectation is that we make it into the playoffs and at least win a round - but it's hard to say, because I think a lot of the league expects Iceland to do quite poorly overall given how many excellent teams are combined into the US teams, Norden, UCORCAL, Canada, and the British Isles based on how excellent their IIHF teams are. Let's say firmly above the middle of the board and 1-2 playoff round victories. I would consider that a success given lots of us are misfits. [194, +3, total 8]

[Image: qgldMOE.png]
Thanks @Amidships!

Trivia 3 TPE: ATL

4. Written, 3 TPE, Merely a setback! (150 words min.)

I believe that the clock is ticking for New England and Philadelphia. As Edmonton showed, sometimes you just have to known when to pull the plug and blow it up. Holding onto an aging core is a great way to end up in championship purgatory, where you are a good enough team to be competitive enough such that you miss out on the top prospects in the draft, but not competitive enough to be a real championship contender. I am curious to see what Winnipeg ends up doing, as they found themselves in a similar position to Edmonton. I would like to see Los Angeles continue to compete for championships in the west, and likewise I am happy to see my old team, Baltimore, competing in the East. I am hoping that Atlanta can make that final step in the next few seasons such that we can be a championship contender as well.
Code:
153 Words
6. Written, 2 TPE, Maybe next season

I think it's impossible to argue that Edmonton isn't the best team that didn't make the finals this season. They were clearly the best regular season team, finishing the season with a 46-15-1 record that was good for 99 points, the highest point total in the league. They were also second in the league in Goals For and third in Goals Against, the only team in the league to be in the top 4 in both categories. Obviously they have since blown up their entire team and will be entering a rebuild, so I'd like to shout out the Philly Forge as well, they seem to be primed to make another run at the cup next season.

Code:
117 Words

[Image: 4x2jj4a.gif]
S58 Elias Armia Award Winner
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2024, 11:18 AM by thiefofcheese. Edited 5 times in total.)

Code:

CW TRIVIA LINK

Cheese

+3 tpe

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. During the Conference Finals Panthers had no players who had multi goal game, yet they beat the Texas in 5 games. Can New England shut down a team with such depth, how could they do it?

I would love to say that NEW would be able to shut down the depth of LA but it is hard to make sure each and every shift comes out with a win. While NEW has great depth LAP has really shown production up and down the line. I'll cross my fingers but it's a tough ask.

c. Olof Karsikko, who has won the Razov and the Challenge Cup with both teams, while already past his peak comes into finals with higher save percentage than Grzegorz Brzeczyszczykiewicz who on the other hand has lower goal against average. Which team in your opinion has advantage on net and how much of an impact you think it will have on the series?

Olof is seriously the goat. Headed straight to the HOF and there is no one else I'd like to have in the net behind us. While it is our job to put up a good defense it is Olof standing on his head that really brings us the wins. I have full faith in his abilities and hope we are able to show up as well as he does pop n any given day.

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Been there, Done that (150 words min.)
It has been 10 seasons since Panthers last won the cup and Yannick Svoboda is only player left from that team. While for the New England this is 4th finals appearance since S70 and multiple players have been there for all of them, including the two cup wins. Will that experience triumph over excitement or will it make them overconfident? Will the nerves of Panthers get better of them now when the stakes are the highest? Which team has the mental advantage over the other and how big of an impact you think it will have on the match up?

Well I am doing this super late so it is a bit of a spoiler after getting swept in the finals, but Panthers did not let their nerves slow them down at all.  NEW came in feeling good but quickly went down 0-2 and really put us on our heels.  While I'd love to say that we came back with a fight due to our experienced core, but unfortunately that did not happen at all.  LAP wind 2 at home and 2 on the road to shut us down quickly. 

So I would say either they just wanted it more than we did, but boy did I want it.  I was actually a bit surprised that we made the finals after our completely abismal start to the season.  I do not think anyone thought it would be favored so heavily in LAs favor, but when it comes down to it you have to put pucks in the net in order to win and NEW failed to do so as much as LAP.

+3 tpe

[

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

Verification: TDZ

Looks like [TEAM] won Season 75! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

Well to me it was absolutely no surprise that Los Angeles won it all and did so in dominant fashion, routing New England in a sweep. Fuzz built an absolute unit of a squad and is one of the best GMs on site by far so to me it was an easy pick against anyone they faced for LA to pull it off. As far as other teams doing anything to change the result, who knows. I don't think anyone would have changed the outcome but sometimes a certain team just matches up amazing against another. Favorite part of the series though was it just ending so we can get on to the next season already.
116 words

Well even if this was written before the finals was over, no I don't think you could shut that down. Even if you could focus on shutting down one or two lines then the rest would more than likely step up or tactics change to allow someone else to shine even more. That kind of depth is hard to beat in any league real or fake. 66 words

b. On New England side Ivan Lacksamus is back on MVP form, scoring 15 goals and 38 points in 19 games, including the 15 points scored in Conference Finals. Should Los Angeles try to find a way to stop him or hope that their stars kick in the next gear to meet the challenge head on?
I don't think they have to focus on stopping anyone, just keep doing what you're doing an outscoring everyone else. One player might steal a game or two but if the rest of the team doesn't step up then they have absolutely no chance at winning in the end. I would take losing a game or two knowing you would probably dominate the rest. 64 words

d. So, a pack of wolves fighting some panthers. Where the fight happens? How it goes? Which side wins? Were animals hurt while answering this prompt?
This is definitely a tougher one. I think the wolves would probably fight better as a team while the Panthers would have more strength on their own. Pretty ironic as it's pretty much the opposite of the finals teams makeups and how they've performed. In the end I think I would choose the panthers just over the brute strength though it would be close. No animals were actually hurt, but hypothetically yes. 72 words

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

pt pass

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Code:

banana

3/8

Code:

I don’t think this season specifically was a set back for either Edmonton or Winnipeg to be honest. Edmonton probably could have done better, but the west has a lot of teams that could compete. Even teams that don’t look very competitive in the standings like Minnesota still have a pretty strong roster TPE wise, and the heavy divisional schedule and playoff bracket kind of hides how strong some teams could be based on where they fit into their division. That being said, Los Angeles did a great job getting out of the conference! For the east, I know a lot less, but I would expect that Philadelphia and New England do start falling off a little bit as I know a few teams have been trying to build and it will be a test to see if the consistent rosters that have been working in the east for the last while continue to be strong. I could see Philly and New England end up kind of like Buffalo where they never really get bad, but they lose some of their edge and drop into the middle a little bit more while still being a good team overall.

6/8

Code:

I think you have to give this to Edmonton, don’t you? They have been contenders for a few seasons now and have another good performance in the regular season this time around. They had the most wins and were at or near the top in many of the counting stats and advanced stats, so I would have assumed they would be there, but they got handled pretty neatly by LAP, which I would have though should have been a closer series at least as well. I am not shocked they didn’t make it, the league was pretty dicey at the top and they probably get a few more Ws playing some of the bottom teams in Seattle and Calgary more, but to be handled by LAP as easily as they were was surprising for sure.

8/8

1. (3) Trivia Verification - Cap

14. (5) I think it was pretty cool to see Colorado go all the way and win the Four Star Cup in the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League. I think NYR73 has done a pretty fantastic job since they took over, and I've thought they're a good GM for a while now. I've enjoyed talking to them about their time at college and seeing them go so far while being so busy has been fantastic. I'm really happy for them, Colorado has built a good team culture and it's always nice to see it pay off. The blue and yellow may not be my favorite color scheme, but it sure is one that works well for them.

11. (8) OH BOY IT'S TIME FOR ME TO START RAMBLING ABOUT THE IIHF AND THE WJC. EVERY SINGLE TIME THIS COMES AROUND I THINK BACK TO WHEN I ASKED HOTDOG IF I COULD JUST SAY “USA USA USA” FOR A HUNDRED AND FIFTY WORDS AND I WAS TOLD NO BUT ONE OF THESE DAYS IT’S GOING TO DEVOLVE INTO JUST THAT BECAUSE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ARE THE GREATEST FEDERATION IN THE WORLD AND WE’RE GOING TO SWEEP OUR WAY ALL THE WAY TO GOLD, GOLD, AND GOLD, THAT’S RIGHT, THREE WAY GOLDS FOR ALL OF OUR TEAMS BECAUSE WE’RE JUST THAT GOOD AND I CAN’T WAIT TO SCREAM THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER FROM THE TOP OF MY LUNGS BECAUSE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ARE THE GREATEST AND WE’RE GOING TO WIN IT ALL THAT’S RIGHT I SAID WE’RE GOING TO WIN IT ALL HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT THEN DEAL WITH IT BECAUSE USA IS THE GREATEST AND WE’RE GOING TO DEMOLISH THIS YEAR’S IIHF AND WJC TOURNAMENTS BECAUSE HOLY SHIT WE ARE JUST THE GREATEST YEAH I SAID IT WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

1. CW TRIVIA - Winston

5. Written, 3 TPE, And make it double (150 words min.)
SHL HO has noticed how well received the Ultimus Bowl half time show has been and you are now tasked to create a show for both intermissions during one of Challenge Cup Finals. What kind of performance it will be and how will you ensure that ice will get resurfaced while it is going on?

Its the Challenge Cup Finals and the SHL HO needs a half time show! There is only one bad who can be trusted with playing during the show. One band who can be trusted to bring absolute chaos to the ice and bring together all teams and players of different nationality. It doesn't matter what language you may speak, or if you are an inanimate object with no ears, Nickelback will always bring the house down when they perform. (Nickelback hate will not be tolerated). As the Zamboni will be clearing the ice at that time, there were discussions on the best way to have them perform. I suggested we suspend all of them from the rafters and have them play mid air. But after a drum set crashed to the ice the idea was vetoed. Instead, Nickelback will be dragged around behind the Zamboni as they play so that they remain front and center but the ice can also be cleaned.
[162 Words]

Looks like the Colorado Raptors won the S75 cup! They were clear favorites by their own locker room to win the cup. After a brutal lose in S74. The raptors were due for a repeat shot at the cup as they didn't lose any of their core players. There was no chance for the other SMJHL teams. A raptors win was always in the cards and all other SMJHL teams were just forced to go through the motion and watch Raptor Supremacy reign over them for a full season. The best part of the playoffs was a comeback win after down by two. With their comeback the Raptors secured the cup for themselves.
[113 words]

J GM pass

[Image: FG1uDPY.png][Image: QAcQptc.png]