Create Account

S75 All Star Week Due: Sunday, March 31st @ 11:59 PM PST
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 02:33 PM by fubaguy. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code: 3 TPE https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3493142

Code:
1. Milestones, up to 3 TPE.

Milestones are folded in with All-Star Week.

Link your Milestone claim as task 1 for up to 3 TPE towards your 8 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your ASW submission. This is done because the person who grades ASW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Code: 3 TPE

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Shiny Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 topics related to the All Star Game to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Before last players are picked Edmonton is the only team that has 4 players selected for the game. Among those only defensive pairing from a single team Isaac Forty-One and Emil Egli. They both were traded to new teams this offseason. Would you let them play one more time with each other or would you highlight them with their new teammates Dirty Boots and Brandan Laroux who also made it to the game?
b. Inferno and Panthers got to send two forwards each, Shōyō Hinata and Binko Koivu from Atlanta and Adam Prpich and Derek Martin from Los Angeles. Would you let them show of their chemistry and potentially dominate the game by letting them play on the same line or is All-Star game prime opportunity for them to show their creativity and skill even when playing with other top players?
c. Should the starting goaltender be the one who arguably had better season? Or as the stakes aren't as high as usually would you think it is better to offer the experience for the goalie who has had less appearances? Or maybe honor the one who has had more? Who should start and why?
d. Aleksandr Iskandrov and Wide Peepo Happy 3 Koivu get to play on their home arena as Hamilton is hosting the event this season. Does it matter more for the fans or the players that they get to play in front of home crowd?
e. Why should YOUR player have made the all star game, and why should you be the last man in? (If your player did make the all star game, tell us why they were picked.)

A) Why not do both? You could have them change lines during the game. If you had to pick one or the other then I would say let them play one last time as line mates for old time sake before they go there separate way. I think that would be the nicest gesture to them.
B) I think it would be best to split up the Inferno and Panther pair for the game. They get to play together next season again so why not let them get the chance to experience what its like to play with other top players. This might be there only chance to play with some of the other leagues greats why rob them of that.
C) To me the starting goalie should be the best goalie and to me that's the goalie with the better stats. I think appearances matter more foe getting voted in so backups don't make the all-start game. So yeah I believe the one with the best stats in the season should get the honor of starting.

Code: 2 TPE

Code:
4. Written, 2 TPE, Participation Trophy (100 words min.)
Currently every team gets to send at least one player to the All-Star game. Are this seasons selections good in terms of team variety? Would you prefer more even selection from all of the teams or more focus to be put on individual performances despite the teams they represent? Do you think it is important for each team to get representation?

4) I believe this season is a good example of why all teams shouldn't get representation and the all star game should just be for the best in the league no matter what team they play for. Damien Hirano for Montreal and Vaseline Podcalzone from Seattle simply shouldn't be in the All star game. The only reason these two made it made it is because they are the best player on there team and neither even made it close to a point a game. There are way better players on other teams that missed out because they already had someone from there team make it.

[Image: ThkcuFb.png]
[Image: e4CexU0.png]

Offseason GM pass

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 02:50 PM by Wheels. Edited 2 times in total.)

Quote:1. Milestones, up to 3 TPE.

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your ASW submission. This is done because the person who grades ASW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestones
+3 TPE

Quote:4. Written, 2 TPE, Participation Trophy (100 words min.)
Currently every team gets to send at least one player to the All-Star game. Are this seasons selections good in terms of team variety? Would you prefer more even selection from all of the teams or more focus to be put on individual performances despite the teams they represent? Do you think it is important for each team to get representation?

All-Star selections should primarily be based on individual performance rather than ensuring each team is represented. While having every team represented might seem fair, it could lead to less deserving players making the cut. The essence of an All-Star game is to showcase the best players, and this should be the primary criterion. However, some balance is necessary to maintain fan engagement. Fans often want to see their team represented, which can drive interest in the game. Therefore, a middle ground could be struck, where individual performance is prioritized but with some consideration for team representation. This way, the best players are still highlighted, but fans of all teams can feel a sense of inclusion and participation.
+2 TPE

Quote:9. Written, 3 TPE, Most Decorated (150 words min.)
Make a case for a player or user of your choice to win an award or multiple awards.

Adam Prpich stands out as the obvious choice for the Mexico and Khan MVP awards this season. His performance has been exceptional, leading the league not only in goals and points but also in even-strength points, a statistic often overlooked but crucial in assessing a player's overall impact. What sets Prpich apart is not just his individual achievements but also his influence on the team. Despite having a teammate in the league's top 10 for points, Prpich's lead over him by twenty-seven points, and his fourteen-point lead over the second-place player in the league, highlight his dominance. It's clear that Prpich is the frontrunner for the MVP title. While there are other deserving players from Mexico, such as Alexsandr Iskandrov, who had the third-most points in the league with a significant twenty-eight-point lead over his closest teammate, and Jack St. Clair, who had the second-most points in the league with a sixteen-point lead over the next best player on his team, neither player has outperformed Prpich. Despite their notable performances, Prpich's consistent excellence and impact on the game make him the standout candidate for the MVP award.
+3 TPE

+8 TPE Overall

HO pass

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

One Milestone TPE :(

Quote:2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Shiny Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 topics related to the All Star Game to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a) I'd keep them together, the all-star game is based on the season that just happened and they were together as a pairing for that season and got each other to the game together. Let them play together one more time as a last hurrah. Besides, if I'm an opposing coach or team I probably don't want them building chemistry with their new partners already.

d) Honestly it's probably better for the fans to see and cheer on their own players in that event than it is for the players to be playing in front of their home crowd. I think a lot of players tend to view the ASG as a vacation/different experience and a chance to have fun so I think players probably enjoy going to other cities to participate. Probably different for every player though.

Personally I think the NHL should lean more towards bringing the best players to the all-star game rather than a quota for team representation. They do this so that teams fans have a reason to tune in, but you end up having Boone Jenner's (no disrespect, love him as a player) at the game and for the most part nobody cares about the ASG. They should just be bringing as much talent as possible and let them put on a show.
In the SHL it's the opposite, we don't really have a 'fanbase' to cater to in terms of putting on a show because we don't really get to see that 'talent' through the sim. So for our purposes I lean more towards having representation from each team. We have less parity than the NHL I feel like and this is just a little something to give players on bad teams something to look forward to.

Quote:8. Written, 3 TPE, 75 seasons worth of stars (150 words min.)
It is 75th season and we had excellent media series produced by Luke that showcased the best players the league has ever had. Your task is to make an All-Star line (3 forwards, 2 defensemen and 1 goalie) out of those 75 players. To make it bit harder, you can only pick one player from each of the following ranges: 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-55 and 56-75. Who you pick and why?

I'm going to make my picks in order from rank range

1-10: D - Alonzo Garbanzo
IMO arguably the GOAT over Visser. He was just head and shoulders above any other d-men then and now, the gap between him and the next best is larger than the gap between Visser and the next best C/F. So he's my first pick.

11-20: F - Joe Kurczewski
The pedigree speaks for itself. Think he can play both C and W. Great production, great 2-way game, physical, playoff success. He did it all. Not really too hard a choice for me.

21-30: F - Tony Pepperoni
Another beast of a player that could do it all, also a tremendous human being. Having him and Kurczewski gives some flexibility to move either or to C or Wing.

31-40: F - Rex Kirkby
Tremendous defensive player, I think he won a handful of Bojo trophies as the best defensive player. Having him in the lineup would allow Garbanzo to roam and take more risks offensively which suits Alonzo's strengths.

41-55: G - Tommy Tuck
Underrated goalie IMO despite being a HOF'er and top 75 player. He won and put up stupidly good stats whatever team he went to.

56-75: F - Mikhail Lokitonov
A very good player that from what I recall played on some not great Toronto teams. Despite that he was still an offensive stud and a HOF'er, even with a relatively shorter career. His pure offensive skill will mesh with Pepperoni & JoeK's physical two-way games very well I think.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

GM pass

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2024, 11:29 AM by kenvald. Edited 1 time in total.)

Quote:1. Milestones, up to 3 TPE.

+3 TPE

Quote:2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Shiny Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 topics related to the All Star Game to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
b. Inferno and Panthers got to send two forwards each, Shōyō Hinata and Binko Koivu from Atlanta and Adam Prpich and Derek Martin from Los Angeles. Would you let them show of their chemistry and potentially dominate the game by letting them play on the same line or is All-Star game prime opportunity for them to show their creativity and skill even when playing with other top players?
I believe the All-Star game shouldn't necessarily be to have the best of the best play at their very best. Which means they don't always have to play on a line which creates the best chemistry or the best chance of winning. I'd love to see what would happen if the best Inferno player plays together with the best Panthers player.

+1 TPE

Quote:c. Should the starting goaltender be the one who arguably had better season? Or as the stakes aren't as high as usually would you think it is better to offer the experience for the goalie who has had less appearances? Or maybe honor the one who has had more? Who should start and why?
The arguably better goaltender should get the starting role on the All-Star teams. All goalies should of course get a chance to play in the game(s), but we should highlight the best goalie if only in a small way as a ceremonial title of being the "starter" goalie. When they work this hard to get to the #1 spot in the league then we shouldn't push them aside.

+1 TPE

I strongly believe that each team should have at least one representative on the All-Star squads. But mainly because this isn't a real-life league. In the NHL I see a good reason for only bringing the best since, that's what the All-Star event is supposed to be for. Showing off the best of the best. But in our community league the goal of having fun should be equal or at least close to equal to winning the championship. And if we only ever represent half the teams in the All-Star squads each season, then half the league will ignore and disregard it completely. Most people aren't interested if they know for sure they or their teammates won't be chosen just because they play on a growing team, even if they themselves are maxed out. Having at least one representative from each team keeps the wider league interested. And I think that's more important than only having the best of the best from the top-3 teams every year.

+3 TPE

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2024, 09:56 PM by MikeLiut. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:

2 TPE - https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3493478

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Shiny Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 topics related to the All Star Game to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Before last players are picked Edmonton is the only team that has 4 players selected for the game. Among those only defensive pairing from a single team Isaac Forty-One and Emil Egli. They both were traded to new teams this offseason. Would you let them play one more time with each other or would you highlight them with their new teammates Dirty Boots and Brandan Laroux who also made it to the game?
c. Should the starting goaltender be the one who arguably had better season? Or as the stakes aren't as high as usually would you think it is better to offer the experience for the goalie who has had less appearances? Or maybe honor the one who has had more? Who should start and why?
d. Aleksandr Iskandrov and Wide Peepo Happy 3 Koivu get to play on their home arena as Hamilton is hosting the event this season. Does it matter more for the fans or the players that they get to play in front of home crowd?
e. Why should YOUR player have made the all star game, and why should you be the last man in? (If your player did make the all star game, tell us why they were picked.)

a. (WC: 56) - Of course, I would let Isaac Forty-One and Emil Egli together one last time. They did great in Edmonton and I think it is worth it for the fans. And let’s be honest, we only do this for our fans. Dirty Boots and Brandan Laroux also did good and does deserve their spot in the lineup. 
c. (WC: 64) -I think it would be the best goalie, unless there is a legend retiring soon. It is a meritocracy here, and you have to deserve to be on the ice for the national anthem. The goalies will get a period each, so I doubt it will have an impact on the game, the results or the players themselves. There are no stakes after all. 
d. (WC: 67) - Of course it does matter. Iskandrov and Koivu were important for Hamilton this season. Hamilton was an underrated team all season and managed to beat big teams. I don’t know about the players themselves and how they think, but for the fans, it is certain that those two players matter. Imagine getting to the all-star game, paying big money, and there are no players you really know.
e. (WC: 62) - Valieva does not belong in an all-star game. She does not belong in your fantasy draft too by the way. Valieva is a defensive center, playing big minutes in her zone and on the penalty-killing unit. She could be helping greatly in your IIHF team, but for the all-star, both during the selection and the game, she simply does not fit.

WC: 56+64+67+62  - 4x1 TPE

Code:
4. Written, 2 TPE, Participation Trophy (100 words min.)
Currently every team gets to send at least one player to the All-Star game. Are this seasons selections good in terms of team variety? Would you prefer more even selection from all of the teams or more focus to be put on individual performances despite the teams they represent? Do you think it is important for each team to get representation?[/font][/size][/color]

I do think it is crucial for each team to get representation. A cycle in the SHL is often slow and for a real year, we often see the same players. If we got the same teams too, over and over, without any player in a team in rebuild mode, that would be boring. I think this season’s selections are good in terms of team variety. I do not care that much about individual performances – or I would add, of a very specific type of performance, so I think it is important for each team to get one of their players on that list. Can we do things in other ways to make the selection more fun?  Sure.

WC: 118 - 2 TPE

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!

Code:
1. Milestones
Miletones 2TPE

Code:
9. Written, 3 TPE, Most Decorated (150 words min.)
Make a case for a player or user of your choice to win an award or multiple awards.

Let's get @kahri the littleton trophy. You may ask "how does it differ for Kahri to win the littleton when they literally won the Miller in S73?" Well the answer is really obvious when you think about it: SHL is bigger than SMJHL in scope (but not in letters). The next step from being most dedicated in the juniors is to be recognized as the most dedicated user at the highest peak. Now, why does Kahri deserve this award? It's because they are very mean to me and that shows a lot of dedication. In the past Kahri has been very mean to me in Carolina, but now that Betzee Nickelback has been called up to the SHL, Kahri is bringing being mean to me to Manhattan. That kind of hater dedication needs to be recognized by the league in some regard, right? The basic right to have a thunderdome has been taken away and the people are clamoring for hate to be recognized and loved as it should be. Having Kahri win the Littleton for hatership is how we give the people what they want. Make it happen.

not quite 200 words but kinda close, 3 TPE

Code:
10. Written, 3 TPE, One foot inside the Hall (150 words min)
Make a case for a player to be inducted in Hall of Fame, check out the list of players from last ceremony post and pick any player that didn't get inducted and wasn't on their final year (as this isn't the place to argue about votes that already have passed). Let everyone know why they should be inducted to Hall of Fame.

Come on, we all know who belongs in the hall. It's Micheal Fitted baby. What other player has revolutionized the sport both on and off the ice? There isn't another player you can look and describe a genre of media via. You can't be like "that's Wagner media right there" or any other current hall of famer. Fitted brings the yinzer spirit and grit to the site and it needs to be recognized. Fitted has revolutionized how media and players interact. Special player.

How's this for motive--Micheal Fitted made the SHL through phone updates. Through the SMJHL and into his start with Tampa, only updating and being active on the phone. If he was eating hot chip and lying you'd think he was a bisexual girl (ref: https://twitter.com/ariasagay/status/112...24?lang=en). That's real heart and hustle right there goddammit. Fitted still has 5 years of eligibility as this is his 2nd year for inductions but, that poses an issue. He's 1 year too deep into being nominated. The GOAT should've been in year 1 unanimously. To have Fitted floating listlessly in HoF purgatory when he should be sitting atop HeoFen's throne (I'm sorry that's a real stretch) is a travesty that can only be amended by entry this year.

220 words I think, 3TPE

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

1. Milestones - 3 TPE
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3493496

Code:

SMJHL Milestone Response -> https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3491842

+3TPE

Code:

d. With the careers of professional athletes being so short, around 10 seasons at the top level for the best of the best, making an all-star game is a huge honor. Some players make several, most make none at all, while others still lie somewhere in between, making perhaps just a single appearance when at the peak of their powers. That being the case, being elected to play an all-star game in front of your home fans is even more of a rarity. This takes an already memorable experience to the next level. I think it means more to the players even than the fans, especially those who are long-tenured servants to their club. It’s a memory that will last forever. While fans are currently guaranteed to see at least one player from their team in the event, there are no guarantees for the players – you must perform. To have it all come together in a specific season in which you can celebrate the achievement with your own fans is something truly special.

/172 words
+1 TPE

e. I began writing this section to make the case for my player, Marek Carda, from the Detroit Falcons to be the last man in. In the end, Carda did receive enough votes from his peers to be included. While I wish I could have been joined by some defensemen from my team as well, let me lay out some of the reasons why Carda was a decent choice.

Marek Carda led the fourth place Detroit Falcons in scoring, with 28-39-67 in 66 games. He had positive relative advanced statistics on the team while also leading them in average ice time for forwards as a winger who played in all situations (20:41). Carda didn’t come into the league known for offense – and that also shows up in his other stat lines as he placed second on the team in takeaways by a forward (first among wingers) with 42 with only 38 giveaways, at a giveaway prone position while racking up ice time. Carda also contributed 39 blocks and 125 hits, showing just how complete of a two way player he is at this point in his junior career. Prior to Carda’s inclusion, Detroit was the only team in the top 10 sending just a single representative, goaltender Anastasia Soderstrom. While it’s true that the Falcons lacked some pizazz on the offensive side, their overall team-defense definitely deserved recognition, and it that can’t come in the form of a defensemen (Jaaskalainen, Sowerwine, Kekkonen?) then Carda seems worth a shout.

P.S. Thanks for the votes!

/252 Words
+1 TPE

Code:
3. Written, 3TPE, The Teammate One (150 words min.)
Tell me about your teammate who made the all star game! Who are they, why were they an obvious choice to make the All Star roster, and what do you expect from them this ASG? (If more than one of your teammates made the game, pick one of those players other than yourself. If you are the only player on your team selected for the all star game so far, write about your team's candidate for last man in instead.)

In S75 of the SMJHL, the Detroit Falcons completed the regular season in fourth position, with 84 points in 66 games. A huge part of their success was the structured defensive game played by the team, which started in net with rookie phenom Anastasia Soderstrom. Detroit ranked 10th in the league in goals for, with only 227, but placed second overall in goals against with 182, missing out on first place by a single goal. Fresh out of the SMJHL draft, Soderstrom immediately wrestled the starting job from returning goalie Luke Fromm in training camp, as both vied to replace club legend Wayne Holloway. Appearing in a massive 54 games for the club, Soderstrom posted a record of 29-19-4 (3rd in the league for wins) with a 2.68 GAA (4th) and .910 Save % (4th) to accompany 5 shutouts (T-1st). Additionally, Soderstrom trailed only QCC stalwart Song Ju-gong in goals saved above average with 21.23. For a player hovering in the 200 TPE range most of the season and finding their footing in a new league, the structure of Detroit was the perfect landing spot for the young goalie, but she was not a passenger. It was painfully obvious come playoff time that as Soderstrom went, so went the Falcons - as the symbiotic relationship between defensive structure and lights-out netminding came crumbling down and the Falcons bounced out in round 1 proper, unable to carry the goaltender when she began to finally hit a rookie slump. Considering this evidence from the playoffs that Detroit relied on Soderstrom’s performances, combined with the regular season workload, lack of experience in the league, and top-tier regular season stats, it was no surprised to see Soderstrom earn a well-deserved nod for the all-star game from the committee. Currently finding a bit of form again at WJC play, I expect this netminder to use the ASG as another stepping stone back to her dominant level from earlier in the season, which Detroit will certainly be in dire need of come S76. 

/337 words
+3 TPE

Total: +8 TPE

\

1. https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3493551

[Image: cVahF90.png]

Code:

+3 TPE

Code:
4. Written, 2 TPE, Participation Trophy (100 words min.)

It is good to have representation for all teams. All-Star Game should be an event for the whole league, so it makes sense to have all teams included in some way. But after that, I think the selections should be all about individual performance. If there are five absolute monster players in a team, it’s not fair to drop any of them out just to make it even across teams. After all, if there are multiple star players in a team, it makes it even harder for the other players to stand out the same way. If they still pull it off, they have to be rewarded. To me it looks like this is pretty much how this season’s players were selected. There are teams with 1 player, there are teams with 5. That’s how it should be.

Code:
5. Graphic, 3 TPE, Fresh Faces

Make a poster hyping up any player(s) that have their first all-star appearance (since S70).

[Image: 3WiaKXF.jpeg]

[Image: sulov.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2024, 10:05 PM by DorkDipplet. Edited 1 time in total.)

Milestones 3 TPE

PBE Affiliate Claim 3 TPE DorkDipplet -> DirkDigglet

Participation Trophy 2 TPE

Personally, I love the idea that every team sends at least one player to the all star game. I think it gives a good, albiet small incentive to even the players on the worst teams in the league to try to be that one player that is able to go and represent it's team. I think it really would be poor for morale to have a team send 0 all stars. I know it can be a struggle for any player to succeed on a team where things are really in the tank, so this kind of helps even the scales even just a little bit, so that all stars don't end up containing just 60% of their players from the couple of very best teams.
Code:
126 words

Well, I will not be blackmailed by some ineffectual, privileged, effete, soft-penised, debutante. You want to start a street fight with me bring it on but you're gonna be surprised by how ugly it gets, you don't even know my real name- 

[Image: Muon-Collider-Sig.gif?ex=6581fbe3&is=656...5534def5e&]