Create Account

S75 All Star Week Due: Sunday, March 31st @ 11:59 PM PST

Code:
1. Milestones, up to 3 TPE.

Milestones are folded in with All-Star Week.

Link your Milestone claim as task 1 for up to 3 TPE towards your 8 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your ASW submission. This is done because the person who grades ASW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

2 TPE
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3494903

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Shiny Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 topics related to the All Star Game to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Before last players are picked Edmonton is the only team that has 4 players selected for the game. Among those only defensive pairing from a single team Isaac Forty-One and Emil Egli. They both were traded to new teams this offseason. Would you let them play one more time with each other or would you highlight them with their new teammates Dirty Boots and Brandan Laroux who also made it to the game?

a.
I would absolutely have them play together as a send off.  It’s a storybook moment instead of a forced hype moment.  This is a fun game, let them have one last outing with their old pair.  If we try to put them with their new teammates, it’s putting silly pressure on the game and won’t even be indicative of their upcoming season.

Code:
4. Written, 2 TPE, Participation Trophy (100 words min.)
Currently every team gets to send at least one player to the All-Star game. Are this seasons selections good in terms of team variety? Would you prefer more even selection from all of the teams or more focus to be put on individual performances despite the teams they represent? Do you think it is important for each team to get representation?

I do think it’s important to have at least one player from every team.  It gives fans a reason to care and players a teammate to cheer for.  I think there’s generally a good balance of players from teams but I think having four players from the same teams while others only have one is kind of excessive.  I would start by paring back the total roster size.  I think we can get by with dropping a forward one and a defense pair.

That gives us 9 forwards, 4 defensemen, and then 2 goalies per conference.  10 come from the one-per-team requirement, then 2 from the last player in.  So that gives us 3 additional skaters instead of 8.  That seems a little tight, so maybe add another defensemen pair in there to make more wiggle room.

Offseason Fun Time

Code:
8. Written, 3 TPE, 75 seasons worth of stars (150 words min.)
It is 75th season and we had excellent media series produced by Luke that showcased the best players the league has ever had. Your task is to make an All-Star line (3 forwards, 2 defensemen and 1 goalie) out of those 75 players. To make it bit harder, you can only pick one player from each of the following ranges: 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-55 and 56-75. Who you pick and why?

Ok, starting with the layup pick.  I take Jason Visser from the 1-10 rank as the cornerstone forward.  I know that he’s everyone’s GOAT, but he was a veteran on the Winnipeg team that drafted me and he was so supportive.

For the 11-20 pick, I’m taking Joe Kurczewski because he drafted me and I got to manage him and Visser together while I was the USA fed head.

For the 21-30 pick, I’m taking Terrance Nova.  That finishes my forward line with the core that I managed in Team USA.  Now I have to hope I can find good D and G in the finals groups.

For the 31-40 pick, I’m taking Elizabeth Doyle.  I spy a solid goalie to anchor my squad, easy choice for me.

For the 41-55 pick, I’m taking Alexis Metzler.  I was tempted to jump on Tor Tuck, but I can’t resist filling out more from my OG Team USA squad.

For the 56-75 pick, I’m finalizing my roster with Bojo Biscuit.  I need a Defensemen and the universe hands me the most recognizable Defensemen in league history (in my opinion).

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2024, 02:34 AM by Count Chocula. Edited 5 times in total.)

Code:

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your ASW submission. This is done because the person who grades ASW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Claim 3

Code:
5 SHL MILESTONES
S75 SMJHL MILESTONES

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Shiny Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 topics related to the All Star Game to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Before last players are picked Edmonton is the only team that has 4 players selected for the game. Among those only defensive pairing from a single team Isaac Forty-One and Emil Egli. They both were traded to new teams this offseason. Would you let them play one more time with each other or would you highlight them with their new teammates Dirty Boots and Brandan Laroux who also made it to the game?
b. Inferno and Panthers got to send two forwards each, Shōyō Hinata and Binko Koivu from Atlanta and Adam Prpich and Derek Martin from Los Angeles. Would you let them show of their chemistry and potentially dominate the game by letting them play on the same line or is All-Star game prime opportunity for them to show their creativity and skill even when playing with other top players?

a. In my opinion you have to let them play together one last time. They racked up all their points playing together. Now that they both got traded to separate teams, they will probably never play together again. It would be lame to have them play with their new teammates since that's going to be the norm moving forward.

b.Split them up. The all star game should be a time to see new and exciting stuff. Don't have the 2 teammates just play with each other when the fans can see that every night. Do something fun and put a fantasy lineup together. It makes it more special to see unique lines

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE, Chosen Ones (150 words min.)

The Last Players In are now decided and the rosters are finalized. Who was a good pick? Who got snubbed?

The last player in for the East should have been Outdoor Truck. The Big guy from Finland put up an impressive 89 points this past season. That was only five less than his teammate Ivan Lacksamus who go on to the all star roster. He also was a physical force racking up hits with 76 and finishes 5th in plus minus rating with a +34. He put performed other players who made the all star roster and it wasn't even close. It was a tremendous snub to not include him in the original roster. He scored 5 more points than William Tree who got on the roster. I'm not sure how that is even possible a player that much more dominant did not get a spot. He was a major asset to the cup contending team. Not only that Outdoor Truck was a top 20 fantasy player this past season. With accolades like that he better at least be the last player in.

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2024, 02:15 AM by MCP_.)

Code:

Link +3

Code:
b. Inferno and Panthers got to send two forwards each, Shōyō Hinata and Binko Koivu from Atlanta and Adam Prpich and Derek Martin from Los Angeles. Would you let them show of their chemistry and potentially dominate the game by letting them play on the same line or is All-Star game prime opportunity for them to show their creativity and skill even when playing with other top players?
c. Should the starting goaltender be the one who arguably had better season? Or as the stakes aren't as high as usually would you think it is better to offer the experience for the goalie who has had less appearances? Or maybe honor the one who has had more? Who should start and why?
d. Aleksandr Iskandrov and Wide Peepo Happy 3 Koivu get to play on their home arena as Hamilton is hosting the event this season. Does it matter more for the fans or the players that they get to play in front of home crowd?
e. Why should YOUR player have made the all star game, and why should you be the last man in? (If your player did make the all star game, tell us why they were picked.)

a. I think there should be a period each where they play with each other, then with their new teammates. If the SHL wants to be popular with the youth of today, they need speculation and intrigue, so we need to maximize any thought of conflict between the two, even if it's minimal. (52 words)

c. They should constantly rotate in and out of the game. As in, after each play, they swap with each other. Since it's an extra game, any practice they can get for extra attacker speed and to get in some cardio. This seems chaotic, but it'll be good practice for when they're down against the Barracuda in the future. (58 words)

e. DuBølk should have gotten in for many reasons. Firstly, the west has two d pairings that are familiar with each other, while the east has 6 different defensemen that are not familiar with each other. John Brown needs that DuBølk magic to vanquish any foes. Beyond that, he's got a great personality. (52 words)

+3

Code:
4. Written, 2 TPE, Participation Trophy (100 words min.)
Currently every team gets to send at least one player to the All-Star game. Are this seasons selections good in terms of team variety? Would you prefer more even selection from all of the teams or more focus to be put on individual performances despite the teams they represent? Do you think it is important for each team to get representation?

For this season, the east has fairly good team variety for both their forward group and their defense group. For the west, their defense group is mainly ran by two teams, but their forward core is pretty well mixed. I do prefer that all teams have selections and think that it's important that each team is represented, but probably a bit more than what they currently have (perhaps there could be a maximum of 3 players, including goalies). That being said, the mix isn't bad as is, and as long as no team has 5 or 6 players on the team, it's fairly reasonable. (104 words)

+2

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

9. I think it is about time we give respect to a hero, a legend, an extraordinary hockey player, Ryland Murphy. Now I could come out here and say he should win this award and this award but that is nitpicking and biased and I refuse, so instead, the clear answer to me, and the entire SMJHL is to give every award to Ryland. Everyone can, and has agreed (I went around and asked everyone myself) that Ryland Murphy is the greatest SMJHL player to ever step on the ice, so as the legend goes on to greener pastures, I say we give every award, every accolade and achievement, every recognition and recollection to the one, the only, Ryland Murphy. All in all, to close out an argument that lack any real detractors, Ryland Murphy not only deserves, bust must get to preserve the sanctity of this league and ensure that the people who deserve awards, get them.

4. A team is only as good as it's weakest link, and that, in cases, rings true with players as well. Though they maybe don't have all the stats, every team has at least one character that deserves a nod at saying you are an all-star, and I think that rings especially true in weaker teams. It's much harder for a player to rack up points if their teammates can't score or pass so these players have to work extra hard, I think picking a player from each team truly allows us to appreciate everyone who deserves it even if their stats may not ring "all-star"

3. As we enter the 76th season of the SMJHL, we lose a face, one of extreme import and lasting effect. Ryland Murphy. In a final nod, a wave to a passing star who now moves on, Ryland got selected to the All-star game. Through being an incredible and reliable both on and off the ice, to being a great face to see in the locker room, Ryland Murphy is the definition of an all-star. He plays with elegance and grace, an ability to slow the game down will surely make him drop jaws at the All-star game. If I had to take a guess for his numbers, I'd say 4 goals and 3 assists in the all-star game if he's putting his foot to the floor but I guess if he decides to be more "fair" to the mortal players on ice I'd guess a goal and an assist, a nice pair to say au revoir.

[Image: kcP9WEd.png]

[Image: SFLJy.gif]