Create Account

Eclipse 2024

[Image: SE2024Apr08T.png]

This is probably just me being a giant astronomy nerd, but thought it was cool since this is a once-in-a-lifetime event so I thought I'd share it. There will not be another total solar eclipse that crosses the width of the United States until 2045.

On Monday, April 8, 2024, there will be a total solar eclipse that passes over Canada, Mexico, and the United States for the first time in years. If you live anywhere in that blue line (which includes parts of Texas including Dallas, Arkansas, Indiana, Ohio, upstate New York, Hamilton, Kingston, Montreal, and New Brunswick, among other places), you will get to see the sun be fully blocked out by the moon for a few minutes.

Look up "solar eclipse" and your city to see if it's projected to be total where you live. Important: if you are not in the path of totality, or if you are and the Sun is not fully blocked out by the Moon, you cannot look directly at the Sun with your eyes without risking permanent damage. In those cases, you should observe through a dedicated pair of eclipse glasses, a welder's filter, or through some indirect method like a pinhole or box projector. Google is your friend here.

The eclipse beginning and ending times depend on your exact location, but it should be sometime in the early afternoon along the path of totality.

Happy viewing!

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

ive been looking directly at the sun for 10 minutes every day to prepare for this

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

Yeah, bit far away from that.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

This is becoming known as the "Family Eclipse" in my family because we have three central locations in my family - in East Texas right in the direct path, in Arkansas right in the direct path, and in upstate New York also right in the direct path. Trying to decide if I should head upstate to get a good look next week!

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

hamilton steelhawks in the path of totality

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]

Coming right through central Ohio baby let’s ride

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

04-02-2024, 10:30 AMThunfish Wrote: Yeah, bit far away from that.

Same. I remember a total one that was here probably ~25 years ago, but it was quite interesting. Even though it was gone again very quickly.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Fuck I need glasses

[Image: lespoils.gif]

04-02-2024, 12:32 AMboom Wrote: [Image: SE2024Apr08T.png]

This is probably just me being a giant astronomy nerd, but thought it was cool since this is a once-in-a-lifetime event so I thought I'd share it. There will not be another total solar eclipse that crosses the width of the United States until 2045.

On Monday, April 8, 2024, there will be a total solar eclipse that passes over Canada, Mexico, and the United States for the first time in years. If you live anywhere in that blue line (which includes parts of Texas including Dallas, Arkansas, Indiana, Ohio, upstate New York, Hamilton, Kingston, Montreal, and New Brunswick, among other places), you will get to see the sun be fully blocked out by the moon for a few minutes.

Look up "solar eclipse" and your city to see if it's projected to be total where you live. Important: if you are not in the path of totality, or if you are and the Sun is not fully blocked out by the Moon, you cannot look directly at the Sun with your eyes without risking permanent damage. In those cases, you should observe through a dedicated pair of eclipse glasses, a welder's filter, or through some indirect method like a pinhole or box projector. Google is your friend here.

The eclipse beginning and ending times depend on your exact location, but it should be sometime in the early afternoon along the path of totality.

Happy viewing!

Sis I am so GD excited, in my area were looking at 85% coverage. I got my glasses, I am EXCITED

I’m gonna be living vicariously through y’all because we’re getting 34% coverage on Monday and totality goes directly over my city…in 2044.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2024, 09:57 PM by ThisSeemsFishy.)

Damn, America gets all the good drops. When Australia eclipse?

: (

[Image: M7PYRAS.jpg]
[Image: eL4cCu1.jpg]
credit to MuNk22 for the sig

04-02-2024, 03:04 PMCarpy48 Wrote: Same. I remember a total one that was here probably ~25 years ago, but it was quite interesting. Even though it was gone again very quickly.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's certainly an event and I imagine we'll have some nice recordings out of it that will show on the news the day after. But I'm still living in Brazil, y'know.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

See you all in 2045

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

04-03-2024, 08:36 PMThunfish Wrote: Oh, don't get me wrong, it's certainly an event and I imagine we'll have some nice recordings out of it that will show on the news the day after. But I'm still living in Brazil, y'know.

I know that and I think it's only for the people in NA here, but they didn't get the one in 1999 (I checked) so I'll let them have this one Smile

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

So the last one that went over NA, I think 2017. I was in Portland at 99% and totality was like an hour to the East. I had to work that day anyway but I figured oh well. That'll be good enough.

The difference between 99% and 100% is MASSIVE. If you can get into the totality I'd recommend it. 

At 99% it didn't even get dark. Imagine that, 1% of the sun and it barely got darker. I got to see some really cool crescent shaped shadows and also got to see the shadow bands (which I was not expecting) but I saw video from the totality and it goes from light to dark in an instant like someone blowing out a candle.

[Image: hudson.png]