Create Account

S75 Week 0 - the lookback

So, Week 0 I said eh? Indeed, from the thing I intended to do weekly, I have almost instantly missed the first week and then gave up instead of trying to catch up. However, I still think there is some wisdom we can take from my predictions, and this is going to be the first of the two articles I intend to release before the season starts – one looking back, one looking forward.

Anyway the article writing went, welcome to the look-back to my S75 prediction. I was strictly looking at the regular season for that one, so playoffs aren’t interesting to us (congratulations LAP, by the way). I was interested in seeing whether I was right, where I was wrong, and how much I missed my mark by.

Pacific Division
Predicted order – EDM Blizzard / LAP Panthers / SFP pride / CGY Dragons / SEA Argonauts
Actual order – EDM Blizzard / LAP Panthers / SFP pride / CGY Dragons / SEA Argonauts

As for the first division, it’s a hundo! This wasn’t a hard one to predict, however I did get somewhat lucky with the prediction for first – LAP struggled out of the gates a little, and didn’t find their world beating form fast enough to get past EDM in the standings, so my prediction was correct by about 3 sims. If LAP realized themselves sooner, I would look a bit more foolish. Other than these two though, the other 3 predictions don’t seem even close to not coming true. SFP was still struggling to convert TPE into regular season points, and then ran into the wall of LAP, CGY wasn’t close to SFP either, and was therefore somewhat destined to face the division winner, and predictably lost that series, and Seattle put up a 7 win season as everyone who had two eyes expected. This division seemed relatively solved even back before the season started, and LAP wasn’t fast enough in their improvement to disassemble my prediction entirely. So, good job CoA.

Central Division
Predicted order – WPG Aurora / TEX Renegades / MIN Monarchs / NOLA Specters / CHI syndicate
Actual order – TEX Renegades / WPG Aurora / NOLA Specters / CHI syndicate / MIN Monarchs

I won’t lie, this division seemed a lot like Pacific, quite solved and expectable, yet here I sit with a slight egg on my head. The bottom 3 spots are a lot closer than I might have anticipated, especially with how not very impressive CHI’s roster looked, and I think that they have proven to be the biggest surprise of this division. You could argue that Minnesota being last is the biggest surprise, but with the matchup between NOLA and MIN expected to be close-ish, all that really happened is that Minnesota lost what I expected would be a close fight, and then got shocked by CHI sneaking in a performance of their lifetime coaching wise. As for the top two – again, a fight I was not very sure about who would top, and a fight I called for WPG on the basis of recency bias more than actual analysis. Texas wound up on top with a comfortabl-ish lead of 9 points, so my expectation of a close experience here wasn’t wrong, just went the way I didn’t expect it would. Overall, this is nowhere near as good of a job as Pacific was, but it’s not a complete disaster. (I am probably massively biased and trying to find excuses. Yes I know. Shut up)

Atlantic Division
Predicted order – PHI Forge / BAP Platoon / ATL Inferno / TBB Barracuda / MAN Rage
Actual order – PHI Forge / BAP Platoon / ATL Inferno / TBB Barracuda / MAN Rage

I called Atlantic my home...because it is, but also proved it by being just overall right on what would happen, at least final standings wise. I expected 1 and 2 to be close, and it was, with Philly and Baltimore separated by 4 points. I called ATL lacking in TPE, but still likely competetive, and being 10 points off of BAP is probably roughly what that would have looked like in my mind when I wrote that. If anything, I probably expected Baltimore to be closer to Atlanta than to Philly, so good on them for beating my prediction the positive way for themselves, at least a little bit. I called Tampa young and inexperienced, and pinned that as the reason they would end 4th, and while I can’t claim that is the actual reason for it, Tampa end 10 points further behind ATL roughly in their expected position. Manhattan being clearly 5th is not the hardest thing to guess, and while signs of life showed the team from Big Apple isn’t dead in the water anymore, Manhattan is a pretty substantial 26 points out of 4th and likely not gaining much ground on Tampa TPE wise either. I think the prediction here was pretty good, and I would consider this another job well done.

North East Division
Predicted order – NEW Wolfpack / HAM Steelhawks / BUF Stampede / TOR Stars / MTL Patriotes
Actual order – NEW Wolfpack / BUF Stampede / HAM Steelhawks / TOR Stars / MTL Patriotes

So, North East. The division I was completely unsure about for the top 3, somehow ended up being a pretty good call by me. NEW, HAM and BUF are separated by 3 points (HAM and BUF are actually separated by 0 points, BUF wins on ROW), so the prediction is basically correct, yet it could have gone wildly wrong. Toronto and Montreal stayed in the expected positions, Toronto still with a pretty decent gap to cover before entering the fight up top and Montreal a point of discussion about whether the league should allow tanks to be this severe, but the fight of the top 3 was quite a wild ride, something I kind of expected based off of how close these teams were to each other. The funny thing is, NEW’s start to the season was so catastrophic that this absolutely wasn’t the expected result about a week in, when NEW was actively competing for spots around CGY and MAN, not at the top of their division, so here, the recovery that almost ruined my Pacific prediction helped me hit the North East prediction by happening that little bit sooner.

So, you are at the end. Expect the S76 Week 0 article to come out after the preseason sims are done, and hopefully, be actually followed by weeks 1-4. Until then, see ya.

Manhattan Rage | General Manager
[Image: sig-hlemyzd.png]
thanks Sulovilen for the sig!
D | Great Falls Grizzlies | Player Page | Update Page

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
[Image: image.png]

i assure you CHI overperformed CHI expectations as well lol, and despite a later season trade of adelie de pengu we still pulled some late wins, if we never made that trade we would have been above NOLA