Create Account

Quickfire SMJHL Power Rankings after Week 1 of S76

This is a special knee-jerk reactionary power rankings to all the action from the first week of play in the SMJHL. This will be a much shorter Power Ranking with just a quick blurb about each team. Expect the usual long form Mid-season Power Ranking next week.

1. Newfoundland Berserkers Berserkers
Previous Rank: 7
Record: 14-1-0
The Berserkers were awakened in the later stages of last season and now are seemingly back with an absolute vengeance after being denied a cup. The Berserkers are also scoring at an insane rate, but their one loss came at the hands of team far lower on this power ranking. With their first loss of the season coming extremely recently, as well as a humming set of special teams, the Newfoundlanders with poor anger management are on top of the elite trio of the SMJHL at the moment.

2. Quebec City Citadelles Citadelles
Previous Rank: 2
Record: 15-1-1
With the current most points in the league, the Citadelles actually find themselves with some competition at the top this year, rather than just running away with the regular season title like they have in the previous two seasons. The Citadelles have continued their well-disciplined, high scoring ways, boasting a goal differential of +45.

3. Carolina Kraken Kraken
Previous Rank: 4
Record: 11-1-2
The last of the Big Three of the SMJHL after one week of play, the Kraken have risen from the depths after a couple of middling seasons in the J and have activated their new core. The big question after last season was if the Kraken could replace the goal scoring of Betzee Nickelback and the answer was yes. Not only are they scoring at a great pace (on par in terms of goal differential with Newfoundland and Quebec City), but their defense and goalies have been great. We have seen teams in the past go far with a solid defense and the Kraken seem to be the new purveyors of that.

4. The Great Falls Grizzlies Grizzlies
Previous Rank: 11
Record: 11-5-1
The Grizzlies were unfairly slept on, and some readers did call me out on it. The Grizzlies are back with a vengeance after being the odd team out in the last season after being the victim of the old playoff system. Even with no cut to worry about anymore, the Grizzlies are not taking any chances, playing some of the best hockey in the league right now. They have the fourth best points percentage in the SMJHL at the moment. If I have one mild concern, it's their ability to close out games decisively. GFG has the most games that have gone to a shootout and have a much lower goal differential than the Big Three and less than the two teams right below them. However, with several more games played than Carolina, the Bears could perhaps catch the Kraken should the Squids stumble.

5. Vancouver Whalers Whalers
Previous Rank: 12
Record: 10-7-0
Having an identical record and only one goal back in goal differential to the reigning champs is pretty great for a team that lost their top scorer along with other huge assets in the offseason. The Whalers have seen a surge in great performance from new Winnipeg prospect NoNo Jo who has 20 points through 17 games. This reemergence is great to see from a team that was once on top of the league and has gone through a managerial change recently. The Whalers appear to be going in a great direction and could be a candidate to go far in the playoffs.

6. Colorado Raptors Raptors
Previous Rank: 1
Record: 10-7-0
Coming out of the gate, the Raptors’ title defense campaign is going just fine, gotta gotta batten down, cause they want to win it all. The Raptors are sitting in the second tier of the standings, but are not that far off from where they ended last year. With no bye to play for and positioning being key, the Raptors should feel great with the start to their season, especially with losing some key figures from the last squad. The Raptors always seem to turn it on in playoffs (who knows, maybe they will put someone on LTIR) and with a solid Home and Away record, Colorado is by no means to be taken lightly.

7. San Diego Tidal Tidal
Previous Rank: 14
Record: 9-7-0
The Tidal have started their existence proving the doubters wrong. The last team on this list with a positive goal differential and a points percentage above .500, San Diego has been a revelation to the league, utilizing great team play and tactics. Sitting at third in the Southern Conference, the Tidal are looking more than dangerous, especially with Vanbiesbrouck in net.

8. Anchorage Armada Armada
Previous Rank: 6
Record: 8-8-1
The Armada find themselves right in the middle of the standings, which is not a terrible thing. For a team that was hit hard in the offseason, the Armada still may have had some high expectations. That is not to say the Armada are struggling, but I would not be surprised to see these boats move up in the rankings sooner rather than later.

9. Maine Timber Timber
Previous Rank: 5
Record: 9-9-0
The Timber have been perfectly balanced in their start to the season and to be honest, it is looking like the Lavoie show again over there. Maine has always been a team with a lot of depth scoring and they will need to turn that on some time in the next three-quarters of a season to be a true playoff threat.

10. Regina Elk Elk
Previous Rank: 3
Record: 5-6-4
You might be wondering why the Elk are higher on this list, but it is because of their ability to squeeze points out of games. They have more overtime loss points than anyone else, which has allowed them to build up a solid point base. The Elk would love to be higher in the standings with a solid TPE Roster, but there is still plenty of season left for them. What has been impressive is their defensive play as they are tied for the 5th fewest goals against. If their scoring can improve, they can absolutely become that contender that many thought they would be.

11. Detroit Falcons Falcons
Previous Rank: 10
Record: 7-10-1
The Falcons will need to sort out their goalie situation with their defense. Soderstrom was a main stay for the Falcons in recent seasons, but is struggling to keep the puck out of the net as their back end needs to support their offense, which has not been high scoring.

12. Nevada Battleborn Battleborn
Previous Rank: 9
Record: 6-8-3
A common symptom, I think you will come to find of bottom half teams, is a lackluster defense as the top teams have been able to have their way with them. The Battleborn are no different with the second most goals allowed in the league so far. If they want to improve, they will either need a lot more goals or more help in the backend.

13. Yukon Malamutes Malamutes
Previous Rank: 8
Record: 5-11-3
For the Malamutes, this season’s start has been far from ideal. However, the Sled Dogs need to keep their spirits up and remember that they can be a dark horse in the playoffs if they continue working to build up their team chemistry and getting their rookies (of which there are many) acclimated to the league. The Malamutes will need more out of now washed up former MVP Langston Hardison-Laurent.

14. Ottawa Highlanders Highlanders
Previous Rank: 13
Record: 5-10
Much like the rest of the teams down here, the Highlanders have struggled with scoring. However, with a new team and rookie GMs, this was a great learning experience for them, especially since the playoffs are guaranteed. I fully expect them to make a lunge up the power rankings or at least in stat improvements this season.

15. St. Louis Scarecrows Scarecrows
Previous Rank: 15
Record: 5-11-0
Well, they are not last like last season so that is nice. They do have a decent amount of goals against, but their problem is scoring since they have the fewest in the league. The Crows will need to find some goals from somewhere.

16. Kelowna Knights Knights
Previous Rank: 16
Record: 3-13-2
The Knights have not had an optimal start to their season, but they will of course be making playoffs. They are not too far back points wise from the teams just ahead of them, but they have played more games. If things stay as they are, the Knights would have to pull off the largest upset ever seen in the SMJHL in order to move past the first round. We have had 14th place teams beat 3rd and maybe even 2nd place teams, but we have never had a 16 place beat the first-place team. Could history be made in more ways than one this season?

IF THE PLAYOFFS STARTED TODAY:

Northern Conference:

Quebec City Citadelles vs. Kelowna Knights
Prediction: Citadelles
I mean, this one feels like a cut and dry win for the Owls, especially after the domination by the last place team by a top team last season. However, they could fall into a trap much like Anchorage did a few seasons ago when the Grizzlies upset them.

Newfoundland Berserkers vs. Yukon Malamutes
Prediction: Berserkers
The Berserkers would have this one, but the Malamutes might be able to salvage some dignity if they are able to level up. Berserkers have looked amazing to start the season and have not lost at home yet.

Great Falls Grizzlies vs. Regina Elk
Prediction: Grizzlies
I think I am done counting out the Grizzlies so there.

Vancouver Whalers vs. Anchorage Armada
Prediction: Whalers
There is seemingly no separating these two teams as they finish close in the standings together season after season. I’m giving it to the Whalers this time around, call it bias to Winnipeg Prospects.

Southern Conference:

Carolina Kraken vs. St. Louis Scarecrows
Prediction: Kraken
This would be a fun one given how close the players and management are of each team. I say the Kraken would take it, but I could see them losing a game 3.

Colorado Raptors vs. Ottawa Highlanders
Prediction: Raptors
It’s hard to bet against the champs and on paper, and it should allow them to get past the Highlanders, though the star power of the goalie could make things tough for the Raptors.

San Diego Tidal vs. Nevada Battleborn
Prediction: Tidal
This is a classic matchup of older GMs in the SMJHL/SHL and should prove to be an exciting one. I give the Tidal the edge in this one, but the Battleborn could take advantage of their chemistry in that locker room and perhaps some rust on the Tidal’s GMs when it comes to playing a series.

Maine Timber vs. Detroit Falcons
Prediction: Falcons
The Falcons and the Timber are two teams that are known for playoff success and so it is really tell who could take it between the two. I’m giving to the Falcons here but I think the split is like 51-49.

Till next week!

WC: 1849

[Image: lhlsigv2.jpg?ex=65cd244a&is=65baaf4a&hm=...5a69dcac4&]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig

Washston Harddoneby-Loserant

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

The Carolina Kraken hated Betzee confirmed :sadge:

[Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60] [Image: kahri.gif][Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60]

Grizzlies Grizzlies Grizzlies

[Image: photostudio-1710898490476.jpg]

IN THE WHALE®S WE TRUST

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]

04-13-2024, 07:46 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: Washston Harddoneby-Loserant
How much are you bribing Fluw to make me not score

04-13-2024, 09:42 PMJexter Wrote: How much are you bribing Fluw to make me not score

Enough

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

04-13-2024, 09:45 PMJHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: Enough
I’m just gonna request a trade real quick

I'm still salty that one loss came immediately after I was named Captain of the Zerks lol

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2024, 05:30 PM by Frenchie.)

Rookie GM sad

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders

Poor anger management or just right?