Create Account

Prospect Prospectus: Guts O'Bigbers

Code:
1047 words plus the double media bonus and I'd like to send 75% of the proceeds to Sopath for providing the meat of this article

<a href='index.php?showuser=2894' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Sopath</a>
Name: Guts O'Bigbers
Position: Center
Player Type: Playmaker
Height (ft.): 6'1
Weight (lbs.): 180
Birthplace: Swords, Ireland

At some point in the scouting process everything starts to look the same. Worn-out rinks become indistinguishable, small rural towns become indistinguishable, and “the blahdiest player to blah in the blah junior league” becomes indistinguishable. Shitty motel rooms and fast food dinners all blend together and to a certain extent the prospects begin to bleed together, as well.

Until, that is, you meet one who shakes you to attention.

That was the situation as I walked into yet another hockey rink to interview yet another prospect. This time the location was Swords, Ireland and the prospect was Guts O'Bigbers. I didn't know it at the time but the young Irishman's enthusiasm and initiative have the caught the eye of some greats.

The enthusiasm is the first thing that hits you. It's like an aura around him, a contagious attitude that infects a room and leaves it happier than he found it. The way he emphasizes certain words and talks quickly, as if his head is so full of thoughts and opinions that he has to cram as many of them into the finite time between breaths as he can, is the outward display of that passion but it's the eyes that really give him away. The eyes that light up as you ask a question and continue growing wider as if he was waiting his whole life to answer this exact question.

If this comes off a criticism, it couldn't be further from the intent. At its core hockey is a game of passion. Tempers flare during games, sure, but it's passion that gets kids out of bed and into the gym on cold mornings as their friends hit the snooze button. It's passion that causes players to analyze their play for hours, searching for any minor improvements that can be made. And passion is self-reinforcing. One small flame may burn itself out quickly but many flames become a roaring fire. Every locker room needs guys who refused to be outworked by each other, who feed off each other, and the aptly named Guts O'Bigbers is exactly that type of player.

I met him just as the annual offseason Pedro Santerez camp was winding down and for him to blow me away with his passion after the end of a grueling camp was just spectacular. O'Bigbers doesn't simply beat his opponents, he defeats them. The rink isn't a place where he competes, it's where he slays. And it's also where he gives top notch interviews.

After chatting a bit about his background and career to date I asked him about the upcoming SMJHL draft. He mentions the Montreal Militia, Halifax Raiders, and St. Louis Scarecrows specifically as teams he'd like to play for but emphasizes that he'd be happy – no, thrilled – on any team.

Quote:Honestly I'm looking mostly for a good atmosphere. I'd love to form good bonds with the lads. 

And form good bonds he has. Already making a name for himself among draft-watchers, Ireland's IIHF establishment, and the SHL at large I have a hunch things will work out for him in that department. It would truly be one of the great tragedies of our time to see O'Bigbers wind up in a dispassionate locker room full of self-satisfied players who can't – or won't – reciprocate his fire.

Quote:Honestly [I expect to be drafted] towards the bottom [of the draft]. My defense is horrendous virtually every GM has made that clear to me lol 

At first this quote struck me as odd. Out of place or perhaps out of character. And also good grief General Managers, way to be dicks to the guy, what the hell. But the truth is that's the wrong way to look at it. O'Bigbers' drive and passion doesn't just stop at modeling his play after Steven Stamkos and Jonathan Toews or talking about his burning hatred for the loathsome Detroit Red Wings (as a result of being a big, sorry – massive fan of the Colorado Avalanche). No, it's still there when he's giving an honest assessment of his game. GMs didn't merely mention that his defensive prowess might hurt his draft stock somewhat – they made it clear it is horrendous. Because of this he doesn't expect to fall a few rounds – he expects to be drafted towards the bottom. When you give literally everything you have all the time that sometimes cuts against you but that same need to describe his defense as horrendous plants the seeds for the solution.

Like a dumby I throw him a softball.

Quote:[b]What sets you apart from your draft class peers?

My speed and passing ability. AND MY ENTHUSIASM FOR THE GAME.  [/b]

And just like that we're back off to the races. We talk a bit more about the draft and the strengths and weaknesses of his game with every answer just as passionate as the last... until we get around to his home country of Ireland.

Quote:Some [totally unbiased and objective observers] would say that Ireland is building the next great IIHF dynasty,
how does it feel being part of such a stellar prospect pool that will lead the team to gold medals in the near future?

That's honestly all that I can think about. I want to be part of the Irish team that brings home 3 back to back golds. 

That's honestly all that I can think about.

3 back to back golds.

And lest you, dear reader, think Guts O'Bigbers is all talk no walk he has been spotted attending IIHF games between his draft preparation workouts to cheer on the Boys in Green. In fact the young center recently shared some thoughts about Ireland's recent win over Finland:

Quote:AND FINLAND'S STREAK COMES CRASHING DOWN BEFORE THE IRISH LADS YES. HUGE SHOUT OUTS TO @J_Lombardi_15 and the rest of the lads. 3 points from Leafer Reilly and Walghren's 36 saves were beyond clutch. #shlhockey #IIHF #Ireland
- @Gutsobigbers via Twitter

If talking to this kid doesn't make you feel alive you may be beyond saving. Sometimes you have to choose between passion and skill but Guts O'Bigbers has both in spades and when you see a prospect with a package like that you can expect GMs to be salivating as they hope to get their hands on it.

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

Thanks laddy you the real MVP Cheers Ireland Ireland Ireland Ireland Ireland

[Image: RrqOgzL.png]
[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
[Image: yuWLBZB.png]

What a great read!

<a href='index.php?showuser=2894' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Sopath</a> if ya get slept on you’ll be a steal like me, dawg

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Quote:Originally posted by bluesfan55@Nov 30 2017, 11:43 AM
What a great read!

<a href='index.php?showuser=2894' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Sopath</a> if ya get slept on you’ll be a steal like me, dawg

Thanks fam. GO IRELAND COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEEN Ireland Ireland Ireland Ireland Ireland Ireland Ireland Ireland Ireland Ireland Ireland Ireland

[Image: RrqOgzL.png]
[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
[Image: yuWLBZB.png]