Create Account

Whereupon Jake Forke is questioned by more media. He just wants the draft to get started

[Double <s>XP</s> TPE week, woo! 600 words, READY TO GRADE]

With a precious few hours left until the 38th SHJML draft in sunny Anchorage, Alaska, we find ourselves with one of the sixty-seven draftees who are eagerly looking forward to the main event. Jake Forke, the 6’2 Offensive Defenseman orginally from London, England, is with us now. In an uncharacteristically generous move towards us media-types, he offered to answer a few of our questions.

So, Jake. Big day today. Nervous?

“No, not really. I’m going to get picked. I’m going to make a team. My career’s progressing just like I planned.”

Confident in your abilities, I see. Have you spoken to others in your draft class? Other defensemen, for example.

“I’ve not, but I’m keeping up with the buzz around some of the highly-touted ones. Liam O’Callahan, he’s practically my neighbour, geographically. Similar player to me, it looks like. Active stick, eager to score. Max Poulin, I think his name is, he’s getting some attention, looks to be a good solid defenseman who looks to pass first. And of course, there’s Karno... Karno Gronkjer? I don’t know how to pronounce it, but people are sure saying his name a lot. Makes sense, he’s built like a tank and is apparently faster than me. Crazy, he must be all momentum when he’s barrelling down the ice. I feel for anyone who gets into a battle along the boards with him.”

Yes, there’s some big hype around a lot of players. Are you perhaps disappointed that your name isn’t up there amongst them?

“Honestly, no. They’ve got the skill, and the personality. But they’ve also got so much pressure, that’s got to be tough. I’m not as out there, but that’s fine by me. I’m going to go into my first team, whatever team that is, and get my head down, play my game, work for the puck. Maybe score some goals. I’m not giving interviews every five minutes bragging about my amazing talking moustache or how thick my chest hair is, I’m playing hockey.”

Speaking of first teams, any updates for your team choices? I know you did an interview a couple of days ago and you made it known that you were open to any offers. Has that changed now, have you had any contact with anyone from the organisations?

“I have spoken to a few people now, yes. I know I said I’d be fine with staying in my local town, Montreal, and that’s still the case. But I can confirm I’ve spoken with a few other teams too. We spoke about all kinds of things, so that was nice. Having teams show interest in you is a good feeling.”

Do you think there’s still time left for GMs to re-evaluate their draft order? Could you be in for a surprise regarding your draft position, do you think?

“Well, I don’t even know where I’m projected to go. I’ve sneaked a peak at a couple of predictions, but I’m trying not to worry about it, like I said. I think things are always changing, there could be anything going on behind the scenes right now. It’s over my head, but I’ll know what’s what soon enough.

Alright then, I think that’s all we have time for. Best of luck to you, whereever you go tonight.

“Thanks” says Jake, hurridly yet politely scuttling away from a begrudgingly-given media session where he tried his best to think of interesting answers to questions that he’d been asked dozens of times already. He just wanted the draft to be here. Excitement lay ahead for him, and he couldn’t wait to find out what team he’d be joining in the SMJHL.