Create Account

Prospect Prospectus: Mikhail Lokitonov

Code:
1017 words plus the double media bonus and I'd like to send 75% of the proceeds to ml002 for providing the meat of this article

<a href='index.php?showuser=2898' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>ml002</a>

Name: Mikhail Lokitonov
Position: Left Wing
Player Type: Offensive Forward
Height (ft.): 5'9"
Weight (lbs.): 170
Birthplace: Vienna, Austria

The streets of Vienna bustle outside the window as people come and go. Inside a coffee shop on the busy Getreidemarkt, conveniently not far from the historic district as I try to squeeze a quick bit of sight-seeing in during my stay, I sit with one of the most diminutive prospects in the upcoming draft class but also one of the most talented.

Despite the buzz this crop of young Austrians is garnering in their home country I get the impression Mikahil Lokitonov is not often stopped on the street or recognized in public. Playing a sport still viewed by many as a large man’s game despite recent trends I wonder if he’s ever explained his profession on a date only to be met with disbelief.

Standing at just 5 foot 9 but boasting a solid 170 pounds, I have to say that concerns about the winger’s size may be overblown. The league is changing before our very eyes and as more and more small players find success it makes the path that much easier for future small prospects – and he’s really not all that small except when compared to what is a truly large class, in both quantity and size.

We talk about his time in Austrian youth hockey and the great experience he had at the recent #Camp-Izzy.

Quote:[In preparation for the draft] I've been working primarily on my endurance and defense in anticipation for the draft as those were the weaknesses in my game that were pointed out during the Camp-Izzy.

With the draft imminent, all of Lokitonov’s thoughts are on it. He’s been talking with the teams and getting to know his classmates a little better. Though he has no pre-draft favorites in terms of teams (at least none that he’ll reveal to me), he had glowing praise for the aforementioned #Camp-Izzy as a way for prospects to get acquainted and start adjusting for their professional careers.

Quote:Obviously I'd like to go as high as possible [in the draft], but right now I think anywhere between late second to last is a possibility at this point.

Despite his humility, I can assure you that he will not be selected in the last round. The draft itself is wide open and trying to project individual picks is little more than a fool’s errand but I feel supremely confident in that prediction.

Quote:I think that my ability to do anything on the offensive end of the ice. Whether its scoring or finding an open teammate, I do it well and can make my teammates better.

He talks primarily about his offensive skills because that’s what got him to this point. He had a standout career in juniors by lighting up the scoreboard and producing gaudy statistics. But he knows that what works at the lower levels does not always work as you move up. He understands concerns about his defensive game and emphasizes that he has made that a point of emphasis during his training but completely dismisses concerns over his height out of hand.

Quote: My size is something I've played with my entire life. I've molded my style around my size and it hasn't failed me yet! In regards to my defending, I've been focusing on improving it since camp and it will be one of my focuses as I continue as a SMJHL player.

We turn to the individual teams that will be selecting players before long. Lokitonov tells me he’s been impressed with how open GMs are willing to be about their teams and how helpful they have been and mentions that he’d be happy to give his all for any team that gives him a chance. He hopes for success on the ice but knows that’s a process. Success can be fleeting and fickle and he wants a team who values the process.

Quote:I'm looking for a team that offers a great atmosphere. A great locker room is always a great indicator current and future success.

After a brief discussion about which teams could use a high-octane winger, which Lokitonov brushes off (turnover in the SMJHL is so frequent there’s no point in drafting for a one season fit), he starts to open up about his childhood as a Blackhawks fan.

Quote: As a child, my family moved to Chicago so I idolized Patrick Kane due to similar height and incredible skill, but I also loved Brandon Saad's powerful skating and work rate.

The team that drafts him will be hoping for similar team success as those players have enjoyed. The fact that small players that have come before him have found success seems to buoy him. He has confidence in his skills and can’t wait to show them off.

Returning to the name that is becoming synonymous with Austrian hockey, Izzy, Lokitonov talks about how it feels to be part of this stellar class of Austrian prospects. The future is certainly bright for the country’s national team.

Quote: It's really exciting to come through with so many talented compatriots. I really look forward to competing with them for positions and hopefully playing with them for Austria.

General Managers who are hoping to be able to snag a late round steal thanks to height concerns will likely be disappointed come draft time. Few prospects, if any, in this class have the raw scoring skill that Lokitonov boasts and goals count the same, no matter how tall the player who scores them is.

The speedy winger is also surprisingly strong for his size which should help him neutralize whatever adversity he does face against a taller defenseman. Look for many hooking, holding, and slashing calls to be drawn by Lokitonov as he dances around immobile giants who underestimate him. Putting your team up a man is sometimes as good as scoring yourself.

We chatted about the draft and hockey in general for several hours before parting ways. He slipped seamlessly into the crowd outside and was off, walking briskly and with a purpose as he readies to take the SMJHL by storm.

One thing’s for sure: on the ice he won’t allow himself to be overlooked.

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

Thanks again for the great interview!

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]