Create Account

Prospect Prospectus: Elias Svensson

Code:
1104 words plus bonus thingy and I'd like 75% to go to Kmichael for providing everything here that's not nonsense filler

<a href='index.php?showuser=2867' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Kmichael</a>

Name: Elias Svensson
Position: Right Defenseman
Player Type: Two-Way Defenseman
Height (ft.): 6' 6”
Weight (lbs.): 223 lbs
Birthplace: Gothenburg, Sweden

In stark contrast to one of the other interviewees in this series, Mikhail Lokitonov, Elias Svensson is a large man. Referred to by some as the Swedish Tower, his game revolves around completely shutting down opponents by not giving them any space to breathe. He’s also a rare big man who can skate, which bodes well for him as he lines up against small, speedy forwards who are used to being able to outskate burly defensemen.
In fact when I arrived at the rink for the interview, Svensson was just wrapping up some power skating knowing that in today’s SMJHL you can’t be immobile.
He learned his hockey skills from the best as he played juniors with the sons, daughters, nieces, and nephews of NHL players and he learned from a young age that he could not afford to take a single day off. Coming from a league with so much skill it’s no surprise that he skates so well and doesn’t look lost with the puck on his stick.
As he sat down to talk to me a bit about himself and the upcoming draft, he didn’t even seem tired despite being minutes removed from a grueling practice. This may be a defenseman who can step immediately into a top pairing role.
I remark on this and we start talking about his game.
Quote:I see myself as a very Victor Hedman-esque style player. Big body, smooth skating and positionally sound.
There are certainly worse players to strive to emulate.
Quote:I've been continuing to work on my skating a puck handling coming into this draft, looking to make an immediate splash and step into a leadership active role.
Out of the handful of prospects I’ve gotten to sit down with, Svensson is one of the only ones to mention taking on a leadership role specifically. That sort initiative bodes well for the big Swede’s draft stock.
He laughs a little as I point that out and I ask him where he thinks he’ll be selected.
Quote:I would say generally top 10, hoping for top 7.
He’ll certainly hear no argument from me. Svensson has established himself as one of the top defensive prospects in the draft and though that’s a deep field this year, I doubt he’ll have to wait long to hear his name. What about his game specifically warrants that high of a selection? I’ll let him do the talking.
Quote: I would say my understanding of the game and willingness to morph to what the team needs to succeed. If you need a shut down guy, I'm right there in the wingers face. You need an offensive guy, I'm right there making that stretch pass through the neutral zone to hit a streaking winger. You need me to score? I'm sniping top corns all day and can celly like no other.
Preach, brother. Being flexible in your game and role is incredibly important in this league and having that as your base sets you up for a successful career. Due to all the season-to-season turnover in the SMJHL the complexion of your team can change in a hurry. One season you’re playing with a sniper and can focus on passing but the next you’re with a playmaker who depends on you to finish his chances. Of course nobody is elite in all facets, but being passably good goes a long way to earning a coach’s trust.
But of course it’s his defensive play that stands out the most. The most remarkable thing about that is despite being an incredible defenseman and having a massive frame, he’s usually not the most physical player on the ice. If his checking starts to come along… watch out forwards.
Quote:[My defensive prowess stems from] just the ability to read the whole ice and position properly to disrupt the offensive play. I'm working on it now but sacrificing my body for the play has been and will continue to be easier throughout the season.
During the courting process of the draft, Svensson says that he’d be happy on any team and that no matter where he goes he’s going to have the same desire, the same drive. He does single out two teams for shout-outs, though.
Quote:Honestly St Louis and Montreal [have stood out to me]. Both teams have looked very enticing and I enjoy the color schemes and philosophies of the GMs but again, whatever team I end up on there will never be a lack of dedication.
Most of all he wants to be on a team where he can develop and experience success with his friends and teammates.
Quote: I just want to be a part of a franchise that I can grow with and have the ultimate goal of taking home the cup met.
This isn’t to say that the young defenseman’s game is flawless – he knows he has work to do. Critics have questioned just how much skill he brings to the offensive zone and more have made unfair insinuations about his play due to his size and lack of physicality. He has a lot of room to grow during his time in the SMJHL and he hopes to defy some assumptions about big-bodied defensemen along the way.
After all, when I asked what part of his game he plans on working on in order to succeed at the next level he made no mention of checking or physicality.
Quote: Currently just my puck handling and shot blocking skills, as the season goes out I plan to improve upon my skating and shot supression skills.
One of those assumptions he hopes to bust is the bad habit of people assuming that large defensemen who sacrifice their bodies are giant oafs sent over the boards to follow the coach’s explicit commands like the minion of a 1960s movie villain.
Quote:The adjustment [to the league] has been pretty good, I'm an inquisitive guy so if I don't understand something I'm going to pry and pry until I do.
After asking what he meant he delved into the world of hockey analytics and how it can help explain the game better than the eye test alone. At one point he made a very intellectual argument about why a player like Oliver Bjorkstrand is headed for success based on his understanding of analytics. Even with my open mind, I found myself surprised by his analytical mind. Though perhaps I should have caught on when he mentioned shot suppression earlier in our talk.

Though he has serious and undeniable upside there’s one giant, glaring flaw in Elias Svensson: he prefers reptiles to doggos.

:o

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims