Create Account

Buckners Final Farewell

Alright so admittedly I had been going back and forth over whether I should write a final farewell piece for SHL. I’ve finally decided to do one to have some closure on a league I have been involved with over the past 3 years or so. My career ended pretty similar to how it started. Quiet and under the radar.

When I first joined the SHL I wasn’t too sure how long I would stay active. I wasn’t a very active SMJHL rookie and was part of a draft class that was riddled with recreates. I had pretty low expectations at the time but little did I know that I was about to start on a 3 year process that I can fondly look back on.

I was drafted 17th overall to the Detroit Falcons. Eggy had pushed hard to have me selected since I was a fellow sabres fan and we could commiserate at the time. He was honestly the driving force as to why I stayed active. We struggled that season and ultimately had a complete dumpster fire at the end where we traded pretty much anyone of value. The locker room was silent except for myself and <a href='index.php?showuser=1959' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-63'>dankoa</a>. We quietly made plans for the future of Detroit until ultimately we were also traded. I ended up in Colorado where I quickly made a name for myself as two-way forward and was selected as an Alternate Captain. We fell short on winning the cup that season but we built a solid foundation. <a href='index.php?showuser=1245' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>ThatDamnWalrus</a> was kind enough to name a team award after me (best two-way forward), which I now realized was unceremoniously changed this season (<a href='index.php?showuser=2297' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>InciteHysteria</a> honestly that felt pretty shitty but what can you do) as well as awarded me the Team Leadership award. I finished my SMJHL career with some pretty horrific numbers:

SMJHL REGULAR SEASON STATISTICS
TOTAL|GP:100|G:13|A:13|PIM:90|HIT:172|SHT:95|+/-:+11

SMJHL POST-SEASON STATISTICS
TOTAL|GP:12|G:2|A:3|PIM:20|HIT:22|SHT:20|+/-:+2

While my play wasn’t terrific on paper, my good friend Eggy was able to make a case for me in New England and I was selected 7th overall in the S26 SHL Draft. I played my first season with the Wolfpack in S27 and over the next 12 seasons, our team had some amazing success. <a href='index.php?showuser=1159' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-14'>prettyburn</a> was the current GM at the time and she built one hell of a team. She was always helpful and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know here before she retired. With the leadership change came new blood mixed with the old. Myself and players like Makinen and Bure as well as Morenov became the vets which was a weird feeling. Our team continued to have success as we added solid players every year like Silverwing, Landvik, Laukkanen, Kosonen, Dieter, and the list goes on. <a href='index.php?showuser=1770' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Allen</a> even joined us at our peak. He was a terrific team mate and was happy to get to know him during his time here. We were able to win three SHL championships and over my 12 seasons, only missed the post season 3 times. I was named to the top 100 players 6 out of my 12 seasons, topping out at #42 prior to regression. I never was an elite player but I loved holding down the third line and moving up occasionally when needed. We were a well-oiled machine, and better yet we all enjoyed playing together. It truly was a great locker room to be a part of and I will miss interacting with you all. My final SHL Stat lines are as follows

SHL REGULAR SEASON STATISTICS
TOTAL|GP:600|G:134|A:159|PIM:589|HIT:1514|SHT:1537|+/-:+61

SHL POST-SEASON STATISTICS
TOTAL|GP:113|G:30|A:29|PIM:70|HIT:291|SHT:312|+/-:+32

On the international level, I also enjoyed playing on Team USA. It was a fun way to kill some time in the off season and it was nice to interact with people outside of the Wolfpack Locker room. We won two bronze medals and a gold while I was on the team. I never contributed too much outside of the occasional goal/assist here or there, but I always loved checking the sims and seeing how we did as a team.

There is too many people to thank for making my time here on SHL enjoyable. I don’t plan on recreating at this time, so this is my final farewell to you all. I’ve got a lot of things to juggle right now and just don’t have the time to really commit to another player. In the end I am happy with my one and only player and what I was able to build. While I know that many of you probably had no idea who I was or interacted with me, but I can say that the people I did meet on this site were awesome people. If we did interact and want to post a memory you have of our time, I will try to respond with one as well. Thank you all and best of luck to all the current and future players here on SHL.

-Tim Buckner

no wonder why some name you Clutchner!!!

in compare to the reg season stats .... your playoffs stats are amazing!

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Quote:Originally posted by Chris-McZehrl@Jan 24 2018, 09:06 AM
no wonder why some name you Clutchner!!!

in compare to the reg season stats .... your playoffs stats are amazing!

Haha yeah I had a run for awhile where I was pretty dominate when it mattered most. I think it was our first cup that I scored an overtime goal in the last game to get us into the post season.

Playoff Legend! You were always one of the nicest people on this site, I really enjoyed getting to play with you (and see pictures of your beautiful dogs).

Good luck with whatever happens next, and if you ever recreate I hope we can play together again.

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

One of my favourite guys I had the pleasure of meeting in the league, congrats on a great and very underrated career and good luck with everything bro. Hope to see you back here with a new guy some day

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by prettyburn@Jan 24 2018, 09:10 AM
Playoff Legend! You were always one of the nicest people on this site, I really enjoyed getting to play with you (and see pictures of your beautiful dogs).

Good luck with whatever happens next, and if you ever recreate I hope we can play together again.

Thanks PB! I had a great time getting to play with you as well. Always a pleasure to chat in the locker room. Definitely a wolfpack legend and was happy to have caught in NEW before you recreated! Best of luck!

Quote:Originally posted by dankoa@Jan 24 2018, 09:11 AM
One of my favourite guys I had the pleasure of meeting in the league, congrats on a great and very underrated career and good luck with everything bro. Hope to see you back here with a new guy some day

Most disappointing thing about my SHL career was not getting a chance to play on a line with you. I was so pumped for our second year in Detroit until it all went to hell. An absolute pleasure getting to know you man. I'll hit you up if I ever recreate. Best of luck!

:(

Good luck with what you do next Clutchner.

RIP Mac & 701