Create Account

S38 SMJHL All Stars

Code:
2609 words but a lot of those will be the bullshit at the end so you probably shouldn't count those

Hello and welcome to the third annual SMJHL All Star announcements! Season 38 was one for the ages as we witnessed Prince George end a 30-season championship drought, a very promising rookie class begin their SHL journey, divisive trades burn up bandwidth, and memes get unleashed. Once again we saw the importance of finishing with a first-round bye as the numbers 3 and 4 teams were bounced in the first round of the playoffs after finishing just 2 and 3 points behind Detroit respectively and tonight we honor the players that put their teams in the best possible position to win night-in and night-out.

As always, I like to give a shout-out to the graduating class. Last year we saw influential players like Vijanupatan Singh, Cody (Oisin) Fletcher, and Tigole Bitties take the next step in their careers and as such many teams experienced leadership vacuums and were counting on their send-downs and draftees to step up - I don’t think any team was disappointed with the result. This year we send off another influential class and as they enter the SHL their voices will be replaced by those they helped as the SMJHL circle of life continues. Chief among these graduates is Dionýz Vyskoč - if you’re thinking to yourself “Holy shit he was still playing in the SMJHL??” you’re not alone, that dude’s been down here for like 15 seasons - who recently cleaned up at the actual SMJHL awards after leading his beloved Firebirds to the promised land. That Jack Tanner guy is pretty cool, too.

Anyway, I'd like to thank the SMJHL General Managers who participated in this thinly veiled cash grab. SHL equipment is fucking expensive so their continued support is truly appreciated. In order to compile these All Star Teams I followed more-or-less the NHL system: as the playoffs began I messaged each team's General Manager and Co-General Manager asking them to fill out a ballot consisting of 3 teams with SMJHL players. There were no instructions as what to what criteria or parameters they should use to base their vote on, simply their opinion of who in the league was most deserving of recognition as an All Star. A first team vote counted for 5 points, a second team vote counted for 3, and a third team vote counted for 1 which I then summed to determine the teams. This year only 6 members of front offices cast ballots but we still had 30 players receive at least one vote and not only did every team have a player receive votes, between the 4 teams every team had a player honored. In a new twist this season, I’ve added an All-Rookie team. GMs voted for 2 rookie teams, 1st team was worth 3 points and 2nd was 1, and the top point-getters were named to the inaugural SMJHL All-Rookie team.

In each of the first two editions of these awards we had a single player honored as a unanimous First Team All-Star, Dani Forsberg of the Prince George Firebirds in S36 and Cody (Oisin) Fletcher of the Halifax Raiders in S37. This season unanimous First Team honors return to Prince George as Paddy Kane-Rielly’s MVP season saw him land at the top of every single voter’s ballot. Unlike our previous two unanimous first teamers, Paddy Kane-Rielly will not be graduating to the SHL and the Toronto North Stars prospect will look to go back-to-back this season.

A season after the league watched in awe as Fletcher flirted with the all-time SMJHL points record, Kane-Rielly did the same exact thing centering Prince George’s top line, falling a single point behind Fletcher’s S37 tally and in a tie for 4th all time*. Not bad! Unfortunately this made up honor probably doesn’t even register on his radar after taking home the Four Star Cup, the Jared Hanson Trophy, and the Ideen Fallah Trophy. Hope you have plenty of room on your mantle.

On Kane-Rielly’s wing we have another unanimous First Team All Star - the first time we’ve had multiple in the same season - as Connor Tanner receives the honor! Coming off a season that saw Tanner barely miss out on being a First Team All-Star at defense, he moved from defenseman to winger this season due to a blue line logjam and never looked back - scoring 60 points and winning the Raymond Lindsay Trophy. Tanner has been called up and will be playing defense for the Hamilton Steelhawks this season.

On the other wing, to the surprise of probably no one, is a familiar face - Prince George winner Dionýz Vyskoč! This is Vyskoč’s third straight season earning First Team All-Star honors as his SMJHL career comes to a close. The Prince George winger scored 55 points this season; took home the *deep breath* Ronan O’Keefe Trophy, Ron Bolt Trophy, and Brodie Witzel Trophy; and perhaps best of all, scored the overtime winner in Game 7 of the Four Star Cup Finals to end Prince George’s drought. Some career. We look forward to seeing what he can do in West Kendall.

Manning the blue line for the First Team All-Stars are Tatu Mäkelä of the Detroit Falcons and Noah Nørup of the Kelowna Knights! Apparently having silly dots and lines in your name helps. Nørup led defensemen in points with 42 with Mäkelä hot on his heels, scoring 41 himself. Lest you think these two were all offense, they played the 2nd- and 4th-most penalty kill minutes of all defenseman acting as anchors in their own end. Mäkelä and Nørup both return to their SMJHL teams this season.

And finally, between the pipes for the First Team All-Stars is the Detroit Falcons’ Evgueni Marmeladov! Marmeladov had a stellar season for the Falcons as he posted a 0.889 save percentage and 2.68 GAA while racking up 26 wins and 3 shutouts and bringing home the Tom Corcoran Trophy. Marmeladov will say goodbye to the SMJHL this offseason and head for Los Angeles to tend net for the Panthers.

To recap that wall of text, the First Team was:
C: Paddy Kane-Rielly Firebirds
LW: Connor Tanner Militia
RW: Dionýz Vyskoč Firebirds
D: Tatu Mäkelä Falcons
D: Noah Nørup Knights
G: Evgueni Marmeladov Falcons

The Second Team All-Stars are:
C: Artemi Berezin Militia - 50 points, 4th in Total Point Shares, 2nd among forwards in Defensive Point Shares, 2nd in Even Strength Contribution Ratio.
LW: Blåbär Bananerström Firebirds - 53 points, winner of the Roberto Martucci Trophy and Brandon Holmes Trophy, 5th in Total Point Shares, 3rd in Offensive Point Shares, 5 game-winning goals.
RW: Shaun Stephens Whalers - 51 points, 6th in Total Point Shares, 5th among forwards in Defensive Point Shares, 8th in Even Strength Contribution Ratio.
D: Dude Love Whalers - 39 points (4th among defensemen), 55 shot blocks, 5th among defensemen in Contribution Ratio.
D: Lukas Müller Mammoths - 40 points (3rd among defensemen) in 43 games, 33 assists (3rd overall and 2nd among defensemen), 2nd among defensemen in Total Point Shares, 4th among defensemen in Offensive Point Shares, 7th among defensemen in Defensive Point Shares.
G: Cédric Moreau** Militia - 0.888 save percentage (2nd) and 2.81 GAA (5th) while facing the most shots in the league.

And finally the Third Team All-Stars:
C: Dermot Lavelle Scarecrows
LW: Inari Twain Militia
RW: Francesco Bullucci Falcons
D: Sven Brokstad Whalers
D: Seth Paige Scarecrows
G: Julian O’Sullivan** Whalers

*By “all time” I mean since S25 since that’s as far back as the SMJHL records go
**Indicates the player is a rookie

Fun facts:
-9 players appeared on all 6 ballots: Kane-Rielly, Tanner, Vyskoc, Marmeladov, Makela, Norup, Bananerstrom, Stephens, and Brokstad.
-We had no meaningful ties this season.
-6 players from last season’s all stars reprised their roles this season.
-Maurice Picard (D - PGF) narrowly missed being included, trailing Seth Paige by just 2 points.

But wait, there’s more!

For the first time ever* we will honor the top rookies from last season, as chosen by the GMs. As a member of the actual Awards Committee the award I had the hardest time voting for this season was Rookie of the Year because this class had so many players with great seasons. We’ll be looking for the players named below to challenge for the above All Star teams next season and in seasons beyond and for all the rest of the former rookies to dethrone their peers.

*in my long 3 season history of doing these

As in the above All Star Teams, we had two unanimous All-Rookie selections.

First up is the Esa Anrikkanen Trophy winner for Rookie of the Year: Mikhail Lokitonov! Lokitonov finished the season second in rookie scoring with 26 points, just 1 behind the leader, and transitioned seamlessly into a top line role by the end of the season. Lokitonov also finished 1st among rookies in Points per 60 and Offensive Point Shares, was tied for 1st in goals, and was 3rd among rookie forwards in Contribution Ratio and Even Strength Contribution Ratio.

The only rookie to score more points than Lokitonov is our other unanimous All-Rookie member: Yannick Berger! The Halifax center paced rookies with 27 points despite playing on a Raiders team that only scored 111 goals total. As such, Berger led all rookies in Contribution Ratio. He also led the way in shots and was second among rookie forwards in penalty kill minutes.

Our final forward is Karsten Kadinger of the Colorado Mammoths! The high-octane winger tied Lokitonov for the rookie goal-scoring lead and registered 18 points in his inaugural campaign. He was 3rd among rookies in Offensive Point Shares and 6th in Even Strength Contribution Ratio, 2nd among rookie forwards in Even Strength Points per 60, and directed the 3rd-most shots toward goal among rookie forwards.

In a strong class, the defensive depth is particularly strong and we will likely look back on this class as among the best in terms of producing elite defensmen. As such our panel of GMs had a hard time deciding which two were most deserving of All-Rookie honors. Ultimately they settled on Fredrich Koenig and Ostap Maksimov.

The Montreal Militia’s Koenig tied for 2nd in rookie scoring and led rookie defensemen with 26 points and finished 3rd among rookies in assists. He was 2nd among rookie defensemen in Contribution Ratio, 2nd among all rookies in Total Point Shares, 3rd among rookies in Defensive Point Shares, and 2nd among rookie defensemen in Offensive Point Shares.

Meanwhile the Vancouver Whalers’ Maksimov finished 2 points behind Koenig in 3rd among rookie defensemen and tied for the rookie lead in both assists with 21 and even strength points with 22. He led all rookies in Even Strength Contribution Ratio, was 2nd in Even Strength Points per 60, was 2nd in blocked shots, was 1st by a sizeable margin in Total Point Shares, was also 1st in Defensive Point Shares, and was 3rd among rookie defensemen in Offensive Point Shares.

Last but certainly not least is our All-Rookie goaltender. Like the defensemen, this was a stellar goalie class as evidenced by two goalies making the All Star teams but Montreal’s Cédric Moreau earned the nod! Moreau was just three ten-thousandths of a point (0.0003) behind Marmeladov for best save percentage in the SMJHL - had he made one more save over the course of the entire season he would have finished first - as a rookie and was often called upon to carry his team, finishing with a First Star, 3 Second Stars, and 2 Third Stars - the next highest rookie netminder had 1 First and 1 Third Star.

Again, the recap for those who skip over the puff pieces:
C: Yannick Berger raiders
LW: Karsten Kadinger Mammoths
RW: Mikhail Lokitonov Firebirds
D: Fredrich Koenig Militia
D: Ostap Maksimov Whalers
G: Cédric Moreau Militia

More fun facts:
-Jon Toner (D - HAL) was 1 point from making the All-Rookie Team and the two (unrelated) O’Sullivans - Julian (G - VAN) and Paddy (LW - STL) - were just 3 points.
-10 players received at least 1 first place vote
-21 players received a vote of any kind

We’ll be back next offseason with another edition, hopefully with more participation!

Last season’s topic
S36’s topic

The complete results are as follows with this syntax:

Name (Pos - Team) - Voting Points (1st place votes - 2nd place votes - 3rd place votes) - Previous Award

All-Star Teams
Connor Tanner (LW - MTL) - 30 (6 - 0 - 0) - S37 2nd Team
Paddy Kane-Rielly (C - PGF) - 30 (6 - 0 - 0) -
Dionyz Vyskoc (RW - PGF) - 28 (5 - 1 - 0) - S36 & S37 1st Team
Evgueni Marmeladov (G - DET) - 28 (5 - 1 - 0) - S36 & S37 3rd Team
Tatu Makela (D - DET) - 26 (5 - 0 - 1) -
Noah Norup (D - KEL) - 26 (4 - 2 - 0) -
Blabar Bananerstrom (LW - PGF) - 20 (1 - 5 - 0) - S37 2nd Team
Dude Love (D - VAN) - 15 (0 - 5 - 0)
Lukas Muller (D - COL) - 14 (2 - 1 - 1) - S37 1st Team
Cedric Moreau (G - MTL) - 14 (1 - 3 - 0) -
Artemi Berezin (C - MTL) - 13 (0 - 4 - 1) -
Shaun Stephens (RW - VAN) - 12 (0 - 3 - 3) -
Sven Brokstad (D - VAN) - 10 (0 - 2 - 4) -
Dermot Lavelle (C - STL) - 9 (0 - 2 - 3) -
Francesco Bellucci (RW - DET) - 7 (0 - 1 - 4) -
Seth Paige (D - STL) - 6 (1 - 0 - 1) -
Julian O'Sullivan (G - VAN) - 6 (0 - 2 - 0) -
Inari Twain (LW - MTL) - 6 (0 - 1 - 3) - S37 3rd Team
Maurice Picard (D - PGF) - 4 (0 - 1 - 1)
Bobby Watson (RW - STL) - 3 (0 - 1 - 0)
Svatloslav Bodnar (D - STL) - 3 (0 - 1 - 0)
Damien Blackfyre (G - KEL/HAL) - 3 (0 - 0 - 3)
Christian Petersen (D - KEL) - 3 (0 - 0 - 3)
Tommy Tuck (G - PGF) - 2 (0 - 0 - 2)
Logan Jensen (RW - STL) - 1 (0 - 0 - 1)
Jack Tanner (RW - MTL) - 1 (0 - 0 - 1) - S37 3rd Team
Ben Holtby (G - HAL/KEL) - 1 (0 - 0 - 1)
Jon Toner (D - HAL) - 1 (0 - 0 - 1)
Joakim Lindqvist (C - STL/KEL) - 1 (0 - 0 - 1)
Gabriel Wong (C - VAN) - 1 (0 - 0 - 1)

All-Rookie Teams
Yannick Berger (C - HAL) - 15 (5 - 0)
Mikhail Lokitonov (RW - PGF) - 15 (5 - 0)
Fredrich Koenig (D - MTL) - 13 (4 - 1)
Ostap Maksimov (D - VAN) - 11 (3 - 2)
Jon Toner (D - HAL) - 10 (3 - 1)
Cedric Moreau (G - MTL) - 9 (3 - 0)
Karsten Kadinger (LW - COL) - 9 (3 - 0)
Julian O'Sullivan (G - VAN) - 6 (2 - 0)
Paddy O'Sullivan (LW - STL) - 6 (1 - 3)
Tommy Tuck (G - PGF) - 5 (0 - 5)
Fenton Uriel (C - KEL) - 4 (0 - 4)
Romualds Loks (RW - MTL) - 3 (1 - 0)
Jacob Dorty (RW - KEL) - 3 (0 - 3)
Mikhail Petrikov (D - PGF) - 2 (0 - 2)
Kyle Keenan Jr (C - MTL) - 1 (0 - 1)
Brady McIntyre (D - STL) - 1 (0 - 1)
Maxim Poulin (D - KEL) - 1 (0 - 1)
Jim Elliot (D - MTL) - 1 (0 - 1)
Patrick Brumm Jr (D - MTL) - 1 (0 - 1)
Marcus Shane (LW - VAN) - 1 (0 - 1)
Geoff Higgins (RW - HAL) - 1 (0 - 1)

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

[Image: giphy.gif]

i did a thing

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

I got a vote!

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

Nice article man.

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

Looks to me like the Crows really got shafted. It'll be interesting to see how these play out next season. Like how did Logan Jensen only get 1 vote?

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

Quote:Originally posted by Blastmeaway@Jan 30 2018, 09:22 PM
Looks to me like the Crows really got shafted. It'll be interesting to see how these play out next season. Like how did Logan Jensen only get 1 vote?

How did McZ lose the Sarmad Khan to Broadway in S32 😏 he just wasn’t very liked.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Keygan@Jan 30 2018, 08:46 PM

How did McZ lose the Sarmad Khan to Broadway in S32 😏 he just wasn’t very liked.

I wasn't around then. Your Avi makes me just go into a daze and day dream about me and Selena. Cause as you're aware she BAE

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

1 point? Geez

[Image: 53381_s.gif]

[Image: 49370_s.gif]

[Image: uKp7Piy.png]

Code:
1. Team Canada , Benjamin Wong 1 (Jay McDonald) at 8:49
first ever Canadian Olympic goal

Not gonna lie... I'm kinda salty about missing out on this

But the dudes ahead of me are awesome dudes so it's all good really.

Also, nice article!

UpdatesPlayer Page
The Journey

6,000 mile road#DidItForDildo1,700 miles more
A Silver Road

Drought Ender, Curse Breaker, Firebird

#Blessed

Also imma beat whoever put me on the second team

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

wooo... great post Cheers

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Good to see Militia players on there, even if we had to rig it....

[Image: WtrC9qy.png]

FalconsJapanpride